void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL December Signups/Round 1

"Clouds on the Horizon"

Wing Shards, taken from EchoMtG, by Daren Bader and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Loads of Spells month here at the CCL. Time to fill up the stack!

Challenge
Design a card with storm.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, December 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (December 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (December 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due December 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (December 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due December 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due December 30th)
  • Final (January, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Shower of Sigils 1W
Enchantment {U}
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. Copies become tokens.)

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Surge of Rats
Creature — Rat (Uncommon)
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each other spell cast this turn. Copies become tokens.)
When Surge of Rats enters the battlefield, exile up to one target card from a graveyard. It's owner loses 1 life.
Alerts about a pack of relentless creatures invading the burial grounds unnerve the living.
2/1
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Stormy Skies (Rare)
G
Instant
Stormy Skies deals 1 damage to each creature with flying.
Storm
First comes the wind, and then the rain, then the thunder, and finally... the pain.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Dire Verdict 2BB
Sorcery (R)
Target player sacrifices a creature.
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Overload 1B (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Dig for Answers UU
Instant (Rare)
Flip a coin. If you win the flip, create a Clue token. If you lose the flip, create a Treasure token.
Storm
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Vorpalstorm RRR
Instant {M}
Double all damage that would be dealt this turn.
Storm

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Divide by Infinite GU
Sorcery (Rare)
Exile target nonland permanent you control. Until end of turn, it gains storm and "You may cast this spell from exile".
Storm
"How much is too much?"
"When enough becomes not enough?"

- Adrix and Nev, at Introduction to Infinite Theorycrafting

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Answered Prayers 1www
Sorcery (r)
Return target permanent card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Stoem.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to give about another 24 hours for more entries!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Manifest the Parallel
Sorcery — (R)
Create a token that's a copy of target creature.
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn.)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

RaikouRider
marioguy3
Legend
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
MonoRedMage
netn10
Henlock
Venedrex

Second round will come tomorrow.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Venedrex - I think that needing a creature worth copying makes it quite balance. Of course the likes of Priest of Urabrask and Burning-Tree Emissary feel juicy, but there are lots things that can be done with ETBs here (four Radiant Solar sounds awesome). I would probably shave off one mana and limit it to creatures you control as this is something to play around your own plans.

RaikouRaider- Again, needing a creature is good for balance here. Of course you want to win through combat with this but getting a couple of enchantments for two mana opens some.interesting stuff. A turn three this and another spell when your opponent has interacted seems truly solid.

marioguy- I think this needs to cast more as it is pretty playable without the storm. Also effects around rat copies tend to affect power.

Legend- Pretty simple, very printable. Of course this is a SB card but one that will matter as fliers is a real archetype to heed.

slimytrout- I really like the overload but I think this is a card that wants to find a window of opportunity to get the most of it and sorcery speed is pretty much against that spirit.

kwanyegor- Storm is limited by cards and mana and this giving both feels a bit salty. I might be wrong, tho, One thing that does not suit with me very well is the prospect of resolvinhñg many coin flips.

Monoredmage- If you think of this as givibg double strike to all your creatures, it's probably too cheap. The fact that you can multily it again and again is pretty scary. responding with a shock and this to an opponent's spell would result in 16 damage.

1. Raikouraider
2. Legend
3. Venedrex

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Could be a real pain to resolve this. Otherwise seems like a fun card, although the treasure is actually much more worrying than the clues.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Yikes, this is way too strong. Multiplying all damage by, say, 2^4 means that you can win your EDH game with a single Atarka's Command.
netn10
Show
Hide
Another busted card. Storm is a very powerful ability, and this dials it up to 11 for only 2 mana. You don't even need to have a high storm count when you cast it, since it can just serve as a bridge to keep going off.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I like it! High ceiling paired with high setup cost, but also fairly synergistic.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Hard card to evaluate. It's probably fine, but there's also definitely a chance it's completely broken, and without playtesting I don't really know how to tell. But if it's not busted, it seems quite fun!
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Fun! No notes.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Definitely too strong. Compare this to Chatterstorm, which had to be banned in Pauper, and you'll see why.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. Venedrex

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

1 - netn10
2 - RaikouRider
3 - marioguy3

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Legend: I like the balance and the flavor of the card.

slimytrout: The overload seems undercost as it can function as a two mana wrath under the right circumstances.

kwanyeegor-ii: Busted card; it's so busted that losing the flip might even be better than winning it. If it gave the opponent a clue or treasure, now there would be tension and with a small cost increase it would be interesting design.

MonoRedMage: I think the cost balances out the super powerful effect in multiples. Should be sorcery though.

netn10: A super cool design but probably overpowered in some aspect too.

Henlock: I love this design as it rewards building around the grave while limiting the recursion to small stuff.

Venedrex: I generally like clone making cards.

Top 3

3rd place: Venedrex
2nd place: Legend
1st place: Henlock
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Sorry guys for being so late, things have been crazy for me.

Top 3

1. RaikouRider
2. Legend
3. kwanyeegor-ii
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

I'm so out of the loop, I forgot all about this.

RaikouRider - beautiful.

slimytrout - I'm a fan of "time spiraled" cards. This is no exception. Could use "or planeswalker" IMO.

kwanyeegor-ii - I dig it. Great fun. Coin flippers would want it.

MonoRedMage - exciting. potent. Needs play testing.

netn10 - creative. Original. Storm is going to matter.

Henlock - very unlikely to ever storm off organically and probably not worth the effort to make it happen except as a novelty in Commander. And that's a lot of white mana for a fairly minor effect.

Venedrex - very unlikely to ever storm off organically and probably not worth the effort to make it happen except as a novelty in Commander. But still decent and fun.

All were appealing in there own way, but there can be only three:

1. Raiku
2. Slimy
3. Net
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Got a fair amount of crits/top 3s for this round, but if you haven't done so, please get at least a top 3 in by 23:59 Eastern tomorrow.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

marioguy3: Marrow-Gnawer players love you. The life loss is mitigated by how large the opponent's graveyard, but a mess of 2/1s seems like a good enough payoff without being completely broken.
Legend: Clean design, but this should be uncommon. No other complaints.
slimytrout: This is a neat combination of mechanics. With one other spell, this is Barter in Blood. I feel this will be cast more for Overload than for its normal cost in the decks that will want to play this, but having the option is nice.
kwanyeegor-ii: This made me laugh pretty hard when I first read it. Treasure production in blue is definitely a bleed though; this would make more sense in Izzet colors.
MonoRedMage: This gets out of hand really quickly. In any format where rituals or cheap red cantrips are available, it's very easy to just lethal the opponent with any one-mana burn spell. The rarity is correct, but I feel this would be better as an additive effect than a multiplicative one.
netn10: The flavor text made me laugh quite hard. I do like how you can target the same thing with the copies if you don't want to exile multiple things. This seems disgusting with any creature that produces mana when it enters. Burning-Tree Emissary much?
Henlock: I'm not sure how useful this is at sorcery speed. As an instant, this would be a great way to deal opposing wraths, but at four mana with a mechanic that requires you to play multiple spells, this could be difficult to make it worth the effort.

Almost all the designs were worthy of a vote, but I can only vote for three. Very competitive round this time.

1) netn10
2) Legend
3) kwanyeegor-ii

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”