Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL November Round 3

"Show Another Facet"

Throne of Death, taken from Art of MtG, by Jason A. Engle and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Legendary Month here at the CCL. One of the most important typeline features in all of Magic will be our focus this month.

Challenge
Design a modal double-faced card. The front face must be a legendary creature and the back face must be another legendary card of any kind.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@MonoRedMage
@Ink-Treader
@Henlock
@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@marioguy3
Your submissions are due Friday, November 26th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 22nd-26th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due November 28th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 29th-December 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due December 4th)
  • Final (December, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Domhert, Lonely Revenant 2B
Legendary Creature — Zombie (R)
B: Domhert, Lonely Revenant gains indestructible until end of turn. Tap it.
When Domhert dies, you may return up to two other target creature cards from your graveyard to your hand.
"Oh, don't worry, he's not alone. He's got many friends, and soon you will get to meet them all, my dear brother."
—Ghoulcaller Gisa

2/2

//

Zombie Horde XBB
Legendary Enchantment (R)
When Zombie Horde enters the battlefield, create X tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Ithra, Redeemer of Souls 1WB
Legendary Creature - Angel Cleric (R)
Flying, lifelink
Whenever another creature you control dies, you may return Ithra, Redeemer of Souls to your hand. If you do, return that creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.
When the warrior awoke, his wounds were healed and the touch of warm lips lingered on his forehead.
2/2
///
Wings of Ithra WB
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has flying and lifelink.
When Wings of Ithra is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you do, return Wings of Ithra to your hand and create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying and lifelink.
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Kryvol, Crystal Behemoth 5WUR
Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast (M)
Trample, vigilance, indestructible
Whenever Kryvol is dealt damage, you may deal that damage divided as you choose among àny number of targets.
To pound against its hide is self-destruction.
6/6
//
Sunbell, Kryvol's Hide 2R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (M)
Equipped creature gets +0/+3 and has "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, add that much R. This mana doesn't empty as steps and phases end."
Equip 2R
In a clever artisan's hands, the energy is kept contained, though at the loss of durability.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Lindsay, Growth Enthusiast
Legendary Creature — Human Druid (Rare)
You may play an additional land on each of your turns.
Whenever you play your second land during each of your turns, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it into your hand. If not, you may put it into your graveyard.
3/4

//

Chester, Perpetually Jealous
Legendary Creature — Human Berserker (Rare)
Haste
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if that player had another land enter the battlefield under their control this turn, Chester, Perpetually Jealous deals 2 damage to that player.
4/3
Last edited by marioguy3 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@MonoRedMage @Henlock Think you'll need an extension?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Sorry for the lateness!

Shujvadar, the Helix of Chaos 4RR
Legendary Creature - Dragon Avatar {M}
Flying, haste
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player creates a token that's a copy of a random target nonlegendary creature they control. The token gains haste.
6/6
//
Spiralscale Effigy 2R
Legendary Artifact {M}
2R, T: Each player exiles the permanent they control with the highest mana value, then reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a nonland permanent card, puts that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles.
Images of the great dragon of change could not stay in one place for long, or they would begin to bend reality.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Ami, Apologyst of Serra 1ww
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (m)
Whenever you cast a spell, you gain 1 life for each white mana symbol on that spell's mana cost and Ami, Apologist of Serra gains +1/+1 until end of turn for each white mana symbol on that spell's mana cost.
2/3
//
Serra's Legacy 2wwww
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (m)
Enchanted creature gets +X/+X, where X is your life total.
If Serra's Legacy would be put into a graveyard, shuffle it back into its owner's library instead.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that'll do it - please critique every other contestant and post a top 3. You have until December 1st for the critique period.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Henlock: It's missing the "Enchant creature" portion on the aura. Could take out the first "for each white mana on that spell's mana cost" to reduce redundancy on the creature portion. As for the fun factor the aura can be powerful if the opponent has no removal. Otherwise the creature half is standard lifegain.

MonoRedMage: Spiralscale Effigy can take down enchantments in red, which is a color pie break. I love the idea the dragon has in that it is symmetrical and creates some fun board state with copies.

Ink-Treader: I like the reflection ability on the creature, built in with some keyword abilities but is a little expensive to realistically be able to do much with. I'm sure there is some crazy infinite combo that can happen with the equipment if a source you control can deal damage to the equipped creature. The flavor text to Kryvol is genius.

slimytrout: Those two cards make for a tough out as reanimation can become pretty powerful with a self-sustaining etb and leave the battlefield effect engine. The creature does seem a bit annoying to try to play against at a modest mana cost.

bravelion83: I like the zombie horde side of the card as it is a zombie manifestation unleashed due to the power of mana. A one mana investement to make indestructible plus tapping Domhert is a fair cost to pay.

Top 3:
3rd place: bravelion83
2nd place: Ink-Treader
1st place: MonoRedMage
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
The backside seems *very* undercosted, given that Open the Graves was printed in a commander product and costs 3 more for nearly the same effect (tapped vs. untapped) and is much less flexible. The frontside seems fair though.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
I think the flavor could have been done more elegantly for the backside, but it's still a fun concept with a clear through-line. Would also have loved a "until end of turn" in there.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
I like Lindsay a lot, but I do wonder if Chester is comparatively underpowered -- it feels like he would so rarely be cast compared to the front side.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Whooo boy, this is a Timmy card. I think people would be pretty sad that their opponents get the effect first -- maybe Shujvadar could have lost haste him/herself but triggered at the beginning of combat instead? It would have leaned into the chaos vibe a bit more, since a 6/6 flier slamming in is quite strong but is not as fun as getting the random effect. Overall I quite like it, even if the backside has a minor color pie break.
Henlock
Show
Hide
The text on the front is a bit clunky and could definitely have been shortened but it's easy enough to understand. Also not sure if the y in apologyst was a typo or not, but I have a bit of a pet peeve about people making words old-timey and fantasy-esque just by turning i's into y's. Serra's Legacy is probably pretty strong when compared to, say Colossification, but that's a low bar.
T3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. Ink-Treader
3. marioguy3

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Only top 3 for now, I'm sorry.

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: marioguy3
3rd place: Ink-Treader
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Front: This feels like just the right kind of random. Kind of sucks your opponents will get to benefit from the tokens first, but a 6/6 hasty flier certainly makes an impact right off the bat.

Back: I do like this, even if WotC (or MaRo at least) have declared Chaos Warp a pie break. The fact that it targets the highest mana value is quite interesting, since that's usually what people want to keep. Probably also slow enough not to be as degenerate as Tibalt's Trickery (Not having the 'different name' clause helps).
Henlock
Show
Hide
Front: This might have been able to get away with a keyword ability. Seems fine for what it is, I do wonder if those could have +1/+1 counters instead of a temporary boost though. I also wish there was some flavor text, because the name is evocative.

Back: Ah, Serra Avatar Aura. And fairly cheat proof too. It's fine, probably justifies the Mythic rarity better than the front side does.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Front: I like this. Probably capable of some weird durdly combos, but fun. I'm curious if this is functional against board wipes, but I'd guess not. Brief research doesn't bring up any precedent.

Back: Basic effect is a little bland, but I like the recursion and the bonus it gives.

I do find it amusing that both sides could easily be monowhite or monoblack, but it works, especially since these feel very reminiscent of Kaldheim.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Front: Interesting flavor. A creature with access to indestructible and a death trigger is unusual, admittedly. It certainly plays well with multiples of itself, like a built in Grandeur style effect.

Back: This feels pretty strong. Open the Graves is the clear comparison. Even if it is legendary, I'm not sure slicing off 3 mana and giving an option of pumping in mana for more tokens balances out the tokens being tapped.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Front: This seems fine, it a little uninspired. The second effect is something different, and I like that it feeds into itself. I just think this could probably cost 1 less (with less P/T).

Back: As a hate card, I'd much rather have Tunnel Ignus. This has better combat for sure, but the hate effect is weaker and this costs twice as much, and that's what'll catch people's attention.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. MonoRedMage
3. Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Top 3

1. monoredmage
2. Ink Treader
3 Bravelion

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

1 - Ink-Treader
2 - Henlock
3 - bravelion83

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top four -

MonoRedMage
Ink-Treader
slimytrout
marioguy3

Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”