September CCL Round 3: The Earnest Fellow

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

September CCL Round 3/Top 6

"The Earnest Fellow"
Banner to come.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Defensive Keywords Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will work with different keywords that deal with protecting permanents.

Challenge
Design a card that has a protection from [quality], where [quality] is one that it shares.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You can read more about protection here.
  • "[quality] is one that it shares" means that card has efectively protection from itself, for instance a white card with protection from white; an artifact with protection from noncreatures; or a land with protection from mana value 0.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Your submissions are due Thursday, September 23rd, 12:00 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 19th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 19th–23rd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due September 29th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 29th–October 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 5th)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Participants:
@slimytrout
@void_nothing
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Subject16
@Henlock
@RaikouRider

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Eatoli, Magical Duelist 1R
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
Protection from spellcasters (Clerics, Druids, Shamans, Warlocks, and Wizards are spellcasters.)
1R, T: Eatoli, Magical Duelist fights another target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, put a +1/+1 counter on Eatoli.
3/1
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Byrekk, Who Was Not Forged 6
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem (M)
Protection from artifacts
At the beginning of each upkeep, create a Treasure token.
Activated abilities of artifacts cost "3, Sacrifice another artifact" to activate (instead of any other activation cost).
"This world's decree is that no greatness comes without sacrifice, but no sacrifice will not lead to greatness."
6/6
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round will be extended for at least a day.
@kwanyeegor-ii; @Subject16; @Henlock; @RaikouRider

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Filli, Arrogant Recruit w
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Soldier (u)
Protection from mana value 1. (This can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, enchanted, or equipped by anything with mana value 1.)
If a source.would deal exactly 1 damage to Filli, Arrogant Recruit prevent that damage.
2/1

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Doombreath Dragon 3RR
Creature - Dragon (Rare)
Flying, protection from red
Whenever Doombreath Dragon deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to each creature, player, and planeswalker.
3/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Celestine, the Sky Aegis 3WW
Legendary Creature - Angel {M}
Flying, protection from each mana value among permanents you control
Other creatures you control have protection from each mana value among permanents you control.
4/4

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Nyx Hunter 2BB
Enchantment Creature — Nightmare (Mythic)
Deathtouch, protection from enchantments
Whenever Nyx Hunter deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices an enchantment. If they can't, that player discards a card. If they still can't, that player loses the game.
2/4

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed. Please make the critique's for each other contestant and a top 3.
The critiques' period should end September 27th, 12:00 EST.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Was going to do full crits but OVERTIME so top 3 only :(

1) slimytrout
2) Henlock
3) void_nothing

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

void_nothing
Show
Hide
A bit odd in that it makes treasures that can't actually be used as long as Byrekk is out, but I guess they're sacrifice fodder for your other artifacts? This is probably going in a deck that has artifacts with super expensive costs that you're trying to cheat on (e.g., Planar Bridge), but 6 is an expensive upfront cost just to make other abilities cheaper, so you probably also want to be going infinite. Anyway, interesting idea.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Fun, if a little random. Not a bad card, but doesn't quite get me excited either, since it's a little low impact outside of the white weenie mirror.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Nice, I thought about going down a similar path (a card that damages everything except itself because it has protection) but couldn't find a way to make it fun. This works well, although it's maybe a little pushed -- a 3 damage wipe is quite nasty against some decks.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Fun idea, but it looks quite a bit like Rebbec, Architect of Ascension except way more busted. This would not be fun to play against for decks that rely on targeted or damage-based interaction, since you can pretty quickly render this and your whole board immune to most spells and creatures.
Subject16
Show
Hide
This does not seem fun at all. If you're playing this, you're probably finding ways to make it unblockable (I do appreciate that auras aren't an option, but still, there are plenty of options), at which point, if your opponent isn't playing any enchantments, as most decks don't, they're either holding cards in hand just to discard them or losing the game, which is not good gameplay.
T3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. Henlock
3. kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

1 subject16
2 henlock
3 void_nothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
slimytrout - I do like batch word technology. This is quite flavorful but potentially pretty swingy. If your opponents have a considerable number of those, it must be said, pretty wide-ranging types, it could take over the game. Thankfully its protection ability isn't really protective against removal.

Henlock - This looks like a fun pauper commander. Not crazy about the name considering it's an actual Tolkien dwarf - but hey, maybe it's meant to be a takeoff of Universes Beyond: Lord of the Rings? Both abilities are useful but quickly become less relevant.

kwanyeegor-ii - This looks quite nice actually; potentially very boardwipey for five mana but it's slow and is readily stopped by flyers.

RaikouRider - Nice general idea that fits in with how legendary Angels are but this is possibly too easy to give basically comprehensive protection with - if you're hitting your curve and not losing a lot of creatures before dropping this you can basically shut off all viable targeted removal.

Subject16 - Oh wow I love this. "If they still can't" is so neat. Fun way to differentiate it from Phage would be making this "attacks and isn't blocked" instead.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. kwanyeegor-ii
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I think this round took lond enough.
The top 4 contestants that will advance are:

slimytrout
void_nothing
Subject16
Henlock

The next round will come shortly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”