September CCL Round 2: Lending the Aegis

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

September CCL Round 2/Signups

"Lending the Aegis"
Banner tbased on Shielded by Faith, Consecrate Land and Shield of the Oversoul, by Wizards of the Coast and David Palumbo, Jeff A. Menges and Steven Belledin respectively.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Defensive Keywords Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will work with different keywords that deal with protecting permanents.

Challenge
Design a card that can grant indestructible to another permanent
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You can read more about indestructible here.
  • It can grant indestructible temporary or continously, via ability or keyword counter; it can (possibly) grant indestructible to itself as well, as long as it can give to another permanent as well.
  • Make sure to include rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, September 15th, 12:00 EST.
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 19th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 19th–23rd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due September 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 26th–29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 2nd)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 2 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Konda's Communion WW
Instant - Arcane (Rare)
Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two target creatures. They gain indestructible until end of turn.
Whenever you cast a legendary Spirit spell, you may cast Konda's Communion from your graveyard.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Teyo's Protection 3WW
Instant {R}
This spell costs 2 less to cast if it targets a permanent you control that is the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls.
Put an indestructible counter on target permanent.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Ismarta, Asura of Glory RGW
Legendary Creature — Angel (M)
Flying
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gains indestructible until end of turn.
RGW: Untap another target creature. It blocks this turn if able.
3/3

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Dusk and Down, Forged of Twilight 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Mythic)
Equipped creature has deathtouch and lifelink.
: Equipped creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
wb: Equipped creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Equip 2

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Abzan Sandstone WBG
Artifact (R)
1B, T: Tap target creature you control. That creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
G: Target creature you don't control gains indestructible until end of turn.
2WW, T: Exile target creature an opponent controls with indestructible.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Ashari, the Vaultkeeper 2GWU
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem (R)
Noncreature permanents you control have indestructible.
Whenever a noncreature permanent enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Ashari, the Vaultkeeper and draw a card.
3/5

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be 24 hour extension for this round. Get your entries in!
Consequently, the critiques' period will extent till September 19th, 12:00 EST.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Pearlescent Propagation 4GU
Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has indestructible, prowess, and ward 2.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token gains your choice of indestructible, prowess, or ward 2.
The nacreous coating refracted gorgeous images of preservation and power seemingly without end.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And so, the contestants for this round are:

kwanyeegor-ii
RaikouRider
Subject16
netn10
bravelion83
slimytrout
void_nothing
Henlock

Please make critiques for each other contestant and a top 3.
The critiques' period is to 19th September, 12:00 EST.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Can I squeeze a late entry in?

Raving Propagandist rw
Creature - Human Rebel Advisor (r)
Goaded creatures have indestructible.
4rw: Goad target creature. You may tap that creature.
3/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I guess yes, since noone seemingly started their crtiques yet.
I updated the contestants pool for this round.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Konda's Communion WW
Instant - Arcane (Rare)
Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two target creatures. They gain indestructible until end of turn.
Whenever you cast a legendary Spirit spell, you may cast Konda's Communion from your graveyard.
A fine Kamigawa card. I don't think it has to be Arcane though. The last ability feels a little strange casting a spell during the resolution of another spell, but I think there is precedent. What's nice about that ability is that is allow synergies with other sets and blocks that have legendary Spirits, like for example Midnight Hunt, Kaldheim, Dominaria, and others.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Teyo's Protection 3WW
Instant {R}
This spell costs 2 less to cast if it targets a permanent you control that is the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls.
Put an indestructible counter on target permanent.
I like this card and I don't have much to say about it. I just wish there were a less convoluted way to word the cost reduction. I also wish there was some flavor text.
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Ismarta, Asura of Glory RGW
Legendary Creature — Angel (M)
Flying
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gains indestructible until end of turn.
RGW: Untap another target creature. It blocks this turn if able.
3/3
I also like this card, but I would like it even more without the last ability. I don't think that ability is necessary, and one thing I noticed this round is how wordy most submissions are (including mine). You could have save words and make a more elegant card without that ability.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Dusk and Down, Forged of Twilight 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Mythic)
Equipped creature has deathtouch and lifelink.
: Equipped creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
wb: Equipped creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Equip 2
I get the you used white to represent day here (is "Down" a typo, supposed to be "Dawn"?) and black to represent night, but mechanically both activated abilities could have just been monowhite. Black is really only needed for deathtouch on this card. I like how the text is the shortest possible, but this doesn't really feel mythic to me. Maybe it is for some unexplained lore reasons? There is no flavor text here to help with that.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Ashari, the Vaultkeeper 2GWU
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem (R)
Noncreature permanents you control have indestructible.
Whenever a noncreature permanent enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Ashari, the Vaultkeeper and draw a card.
3/5
More than Bant, the focus on noncreatures makes this card feel Jeskai to me, even if mechanically you could just drop green (or red in Jeskai) and make this white-blue, or, if you say "noncreature permanents" is the green part, green-blue. Anyway, the mana cost could have been less restrictive in my opinion. I like all the rest here.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Pearlescent Propagation 4GU
Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has indestructible, prowess, and ward 2.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token gains your choice of indestructible, prowess, or ward 2.
The nacreous coating refracted gorgeous images of preservation and power seemingly without end.
Ironically, the only card with flavor text this round has barely room for it and looks better in MSE without it in my opinion (I've tried). Mechanically, I have two remarks here. First, prowess is no longer evergreen, so it should either not be here or have reminder text. The second remark is the I see logistical issues when you have multiple tokens with different abilities. You'll need to use pieces of paper to note which ability every token has.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Raving Propagandist rw
Creature - Human Rebel Advisor (r)
Goaded creatures have indestructible.
4rw: Goad target creature. You may tap that creature.
3/2
Goad is not evergreen and needs reminder text. There is also plenty of room for flavor text here. I really like how elegant this card is, the most elegant one of the round, for sure. I'm not sure how I feel about pairing goading with tapping, but overall I like this card.

Top 3

1st place: RaikouRider
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: Henlock
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This is definitely a strong trick, but probably not overpowered at rare -- the closest parallel is Fight as One which cost W less but had significant targeting restrictions and didn't leave behind +1/+1 counters (the legendary spirit text is fairly close to trinket text -- maybe it does something with Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit or Geist of Saint Traft but that's extremely niche). It's a little odd that Konda, Lord of Eiganjo doesn't get back his own communion, but otherwise the flavor seems good.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Pretty unexciting if you don't get the discount, and even if you do you're doing only a little better than a Timely Ward. Perfectly solid card, but it doesn't quite inspire me.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Very cool. My only (very minor) note is that it probably doesn't need to be mythic with that restrictive of a cost, but otherwise it seems great.
netn10
Show
Hide
I assume the name has a typo and it's supposed to be "Dawn"? Anyway, the baserate is an overcosted Basilisk Collar, which is not great, but the abilities are solid if you have the mana to put into them. It does sort of feel like the whole thing sort of comes out to "this creature has lifelink and can't be blocked," and then occasionally you'll pump some mana into it to (effectively) drain your opponent.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
The green and white abilities being separate feels a bit weird... I suppose occasionally you'll want to protect an opponent's creature in multiplayer, or you'll run into a creature with native indestructible, but both of those are pretty narrow use cases compared to just having "2GWW, T: Exile target creature you don't control," which would be a pretty unfun ability in limited.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Now this card has some nice tension -- your opponent wants to block so you don't get a token, but that also probably means throwing a creature away. The abilities are a weird combo: ward and indestructible kind of play together since they collectively make the creature really hard to deal with, but prowess doesn't go with either. Still, an interesting concept.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I don't like this much, mechanically speaking. You can goad your own creatures so they get indestructible, but at 6 mana that's quite expensive. You can goad an opponent's creature so that it has to attack, but if it has indestructible then that gets rid of a lot of the point of goading, which is to send your opponents' creatures on kamikaze missions. Or you can just tap it, but 6 mana to tap something is also super expensive. So overall, it feels like a toolbox full of tools you don't actually want to use, which is not that fun.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. void_nothing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Only a day left for critiques and top 3! If you cannot make critique on time, please do at least top 3.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Quick Comments

Kwanyegor: Nice Arcane. Nice with Celestial Kirin.
RaikouRaider: Solid but quite unexciting.
Subject16: Indestructible on attackers is very good and very Naya. The provoke ability takes it over the top.
netn10: Cool but it looks a bit inneficient.
bravelion: The repeatable exile clause might be too constricting here. I like that you turned indeatrcutible into a liability.
slimytrout: This looks extremely powerful. Some Chulane vibe there.
voidnothing: Very intetesting way of fulfilling the chalenge. It has the annoyance of demanding trackibg for the same token, ala Shark Typhoon. Ward is way better design here than hexproof.

t3

1. kwanyegor
2. voinothing
3. Subjec16

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii - Neat. Pretty clear flavor reference. Not sure how relevant the self-recursion ability is.

RaikouRider - Perfectly reasonable. This is going to be cast for the discount pretty often imho.

Subject16 - I'm actually sort of shocked there's no exalted card that grants indestructible. Fun design, could lead to blowouts but you need a lot of mana to force multiple blocks.

netn10 - I like the idea of turning a creature into one of those utility-knife Knights. Costs might be a bit high here given Basilisk Collar.

bravelion83 - This would be a much cleaner design imo if there were a single ability that gave any creature indestructible and then another ability that exiled indestructible creatures.

slimytrout - Nice idea that feels like it needs "nonland" clauses for balance reasons (specifically in the triggered ability).

Henlock - Cool. I think it's fun to have a reason to goad your own creatures.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

1 slimytrout
2 void_nothin
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The critiques are now closed.
Sincerest thanks to all participants, especially those who made critiques and top 3.
As mentioned earlier, the top 6 will advance to the next round.
Those are:

slimytrout
void_nothing
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16
Henlock
RaikouRider

The next round will be posted in short order.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”