void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL August Signups/Round 2

"Rise into Strength"

Den Protector, taken from Art of M:tG, by Viktor Titov and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Maligned Mechanics Month here at the CCL. We will be seeing how best to fix mechanical themes that were not very successful.

Challenge
Design a creature card with megamorph.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, August 17th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 11th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 20th–23rd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 26th–29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 31st)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Hidden Hydropon 2GU
Creature - Plant Mutant (Uncommon)
Graft 3
Megamorph 0
GU: Turn target creature with a +1/+1 counter face-down (It's a 2/2 creature.)
0/0

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Careless Efreet R
Creature - Efreet Shaman (U)
Megamorph 1RR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Careless Efreet enters the battlefield or is turned face up, it deals damage equal to its power to each creature and each player.
1/2

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Fiendish Bones 2BR
Creature - Devil Skeleton (C)
Unleash (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Megamorph BR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
4/2

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Voracious Raptor GU
Creature — Bird (R)
Flying
When Voracious Raptor is turned face up, draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
Megamorph 5GU (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Warren Warcaller RR
Creature — Goblin Warrior (M)
Whenever Warren Warcaller attacks, creatures you control with lesser power get +1/+0 until end of turn.
Megamorph XRRR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Warren Warcaller is turned face up, create X tokens that are a copy of it. They gain haste.
2/1

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Immortal Tyrant 2BB
Creature - Demon {M}
Flying
Whenever one or more creatures you control with a +1/+1 counter on it die, return those cards to the battlefield under your control face down. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Megamorph 3BB (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
4/4

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Salt Road Quartermasters 2WW
Creature - Human Warrior (Mythic)
Whenever Salt Road Quartermasters or another creature you control is turned face up, you may put an Aura or Equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield attached to that creature.
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it and an Aura and/or Equipment attached to it has indestructible and vigilance.
Megamorph 4WW
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Bubbling Ooze 1g
Creature - Ooze (u)
Trample
Megamorph 2g (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Bubbling Ooze is turned face up, double the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
2/2

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Priest of Ugin RR
Creature - Goblin Cleric {R}
T: Add C equal to Priest of Ugin's power. Spend this mana only to cast Dragon spells or activate abilities of Dragons.
When Priest of Ugin is turned face up, gain control of up to one target Dragon for as long as you control Priest of Ugin.
Megamorph 2RR
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And with a few last-minute entries it's time to close the round - please once again critique all of the other contestants and provide a top 3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Hidden Hydropon 2GU
Graft 3
Megamorph 0
0/0
I think I recognize the inspiration for this, Vigean Hydropon from original Ravnica block, my own introduction to Magic as you all probably know by now given now many times I've said it, and this probably won't be the last one. Another well-known thing about me by now is my love for mix-and-match cards, and this is no exception. One thing I wish is that the first part of graft, the +1/+1 counters, also worker when being turned face up, but I see that getting four +1/+1 counters when turned face up would be too much. Obviously if graft worked that way, you'd have to adjust the numbers here, but since it doesn't, that's not a problem. Instead I really like how well the second part of graft, moving +1/+1 counters, works with megamorph. The only point of confusion I see is the last ability, I would have said "base power and toughness" in the reminder text, as the creature keeps the +1/+1 counter when turned face down, so it will be a 3/3. Ok, technically a 2/2 with a +1/+1 counter on it, but you get what I mean.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Careless Efreet R
Megamorph 1RR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Careless Efreet enters the battlefield or is turned face up, it deals damage equal to its power to each creature and each player.
1/2
An easy place to go to, caring about power when the creature can be on the battlefield with or without a +1/+1 counter, but still very nice. I would probably like this more if it just let you deal damage to "any target", but again it's still a very nice card. The Efreet flavor is probably intended to come from Tarkir, as multiple cards this round.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Fiendish Bones 2BR
Unleash (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Megamorph BR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
4/2
Another mix-and-match card, and another one I really like. The interaction between the keywords is very effective. I like how this can always have a +1/+1 counter on it, and therefore being unable to block, whether you cast it normally with unleash or you turn it face up with megamorph. Cards like this are the proof that Maro is right when he says what was wrong with megamorph were the expectations, not the mechanic in itself.
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Warren Warcaller RR
Whenever Warren Warcaller attacks, creatures you control with lesser power get +1/+0 until end of turn.
Megamorph XRRR (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Warren Warcaller is turned face up, create X tokens that are a copy of it. They gain haste.
2/1
Not the easiest card to understand. When you unmorph this, you put a +1/+1 counter on this while the copies will not have the counter, so they all will get the bonus from the first ability. Neat interaction but a bit complicated. The flavor and the name make me feel like there is a reference here that I'm missing. Reminder text should be in italics.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Immortal Tyrant 2BB
Creature - Demon {M}
Flying
Whenever one or more creatures you control with a +1/+1 counter on it die, return those cards to the battlefield under your control face down. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Megamorph 3BB (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
4/4
"...with a +1/+1 counters on *them* die... That ability reminds me of undying, it's kind of its reverse: if you die with a +1/+1 counter, you return with no counters. Triggering only once each turn isn't that relevant in my opinion when the ability already says "one or more" creatures, the only case where it is relevant is when multiple creatures with +1/+1 counters you control die at different times. It could happen with removal spells, but in combat all creatures die at the same time from lethal damage. Needless to say, on this creature the +1/+1 counter will come from megamorph.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Salt Road Quartermasters 2WW
Creature - Human Warrior (Mythic)
Whenever Salt Road Quartermasters or another creature you control is turned face up, you may put an Aura or Equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield attached to that creature.
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it and an Aura and/or Equipment attached to it has indestructible and vigilance.
Megamorph 4WW
4/4
I think the second ability is supposed to read "...with a +1/+1 counter on it *or* an Aura or Equipment attached to it..." With an "and" in place of that "or", only the creatures that have both a +1/+1 counter and something attached get the bonus, which I think is both too narrow and not the intent. A player like me who rarely plays Auras and Equipment at all, not even in limited, is not very interested in a card like this. I'm glad it exists for the players that like it, but it's not for me.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Bubbling Ooze 1g
Creature - Ooze (u)
Trample
Megamorph 2g (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
When Bubbling Ooze is turned face up, double the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
2/2
At the contrary, this card is very interesting. It's kind of mega-megamorph, it can get two counters when it turned face up. It would be a 4/4. And it has trample! Or it can be a 3/3 with trample and you might grow another creature of yours. Think of how many +1/+1 counters are there in both Simic and Quandrix. Think of the Fractals, I've had many large ones in Strixhaven limited. I'm not the biggest fan of the Ooze flavor, but this is a very good card with many applications. Good work.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Priest of Ugin RR
T: Add C equal to Priest of Ugin's power. Spend this mana only to cast Dragon spells or activate abilities of Dragons.
When Priest of Ugin is turned face up, gain control of up to one target Dragon for as long as you control Priest of Ugin.
Megamorph 2RR
2/2
This is the only card this round where there is no evident interaction between megamorph and the other abilities, and that's not a good thing from my own point of view. I also wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of the second ability. If I have a Dragon, and that's already a big if for a player like me as I don't tend to play with many Dragons, I don't want my opponent to steal it. What I like on this card is the flavor, Tarkir with Ugin and Dragons feels right.
Top 3

1st place: Ink-Treader
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: Henlock
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Base is serviceble. The megamorph is definitely the prize, though it's quite pricy. I wonder if this could get away with being uncommon, despite how explosive the Megamorph is.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I rather like that there's a way to cheat that limitation (if you can afford the Megamorph repeatedly). Pretty usable at base or megamorphed.
netn10
Show
Hide
There's quite a lot of potential play patterns for here for something so simple. I quite like it.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
The base here is pretty good. The Megamorph is a lot costlier, but eliminating X/2's is an order of magnitude better than killing off X/1's.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Nice and simple. Reasonable at base, reasonable megamorphed on its own, but has potential to exceed that.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Now that's something that can carry games all on its own. Base is alright, but that Megamorph is explosive. Definitely a brutal surprise.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Very difficult to deal with if allowed to set up, but it can be disrupted in a number of ways at least. Decent at base with support, but definitely at its best Megamorphed,
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Honestly rather surprised there isn't a creature that generates Dragon only mana, just some lands, an artifact, and a Sarkhan. This seems fine as Dragon support. The Megamorph is a little narrow, though it does at least bolster the mana generated in the absence of Dragons.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. RaikouRider
3. Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

finished
Show
Hide

kwanyegor: So this guy can cheat auras and equipments. Its own megamorph ability is rather expensive, so I take this will try to benwfit from cheap morph stuff (There's not much cheap megamorph, but Gudul Lurker wil look very pretty in an Argentum Armor). I figure you could also take advantage of Ghostfire Blade, but all around, there's quite a limited pool of creatures for this deck.

monoredmage: This is actually a pretty decent limited pick in a set with many dragons. I like it that even when you have a face up effect, it can also matter afterwards if there are no dragons to steal by makig your dragons even cheaper.

RaikouRaider: One of things I like the most about this is that it forces your opponents to play removal before combat because leaving that trigger on combat can be very, very punishing. While this will work best with other morphers, a second life as a 2/2 is nothing to scoff at. Veey powerful indeed. I take that the once per turn is the failsafe aginst combo degeneracies, but it actually works pretty well.

8ubjwct16: I like the effect but it lacks that gotcha! factor morph cards have by having its relevance focused on the first main phase.

bravelion: So the baseline here is three cards at instant speed,.which seems very reasonable. This kind of effects caring about creature power for cards could have been monogreen,

slimytrout: This is very clean and a prime target for morph/unmorph shennanigans.

netn10: So this can get itself a counter for ug, move its counters onto creature and invalidate opposing creatures with counters. I guess you should limit it to creaturw you control.

Ink Treader: I like how this.plays. It basically has three modes: 2/2 for 3 to stop tokens or detract early trades or even bluff, a 4/2 for 4 that can be aggressive but trade on block very well and a 5/3 for 4 that just wants to hit face. very nice

Lots of great stuff.

1. Ink Treader
2. monoredmage
3. Rikou Raider
Last edited by Henlock 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Hidden Hydropon 2GU
Graft 3
Megamorph 0
0/0
Very nice, definitely a card for a megamorph themed deck and i like how graft works with this card. Might be too cheap to give itself extra +1/+1 counters tho
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Careless Efreet R
1/2
Really clever how this one works. I just like it overall
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Fiendish Bones 2BR
4/2
Being force to use the unleash when you unmorph this is an interesting drawback
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Voracious Raptor GU
Creature — Bird (R)
Flying
When Voracious Raptor is turned face up, draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
Megamorph 5GU (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2
Well designed but I don't really get the flavor, why is a bird of prey drawing cards? Megamorph cost pretty much seems right
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Warren Warcaller RR
2/1
Whoa that's really interesting. Im not sure about the costing of the card or abioliy though
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Immortal Tyrant 2BB
Creature - Demon {M}
Flying
4/4
I honestly love it, the recursion ability is super useful and flavorful
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Bubbling Ooze 1g
Creature - Ooze (u)
Trample
2/2
Nicely done, just a clever card that works well
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Priest of Ugin RR
Megamorph 2RR
2/2
Fun card, the megamorph is probably mostly useful for getting more mana per tap but the triggered ability is p flavorful
top 3
Show
Hide
1 raikourider
2 henlock
3 slimytrout
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Sadly can only do top 3s as this has been a very busy week.
1) Ink-Treader
2) MonoRedMage
3) Subject16

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

T3 only for now:

1. netn10
2. RaikouRider
3. bravelion83

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

netn10 - Really clever design, there's a lot of things that can be done with this card, but I fear it might be too strong.

slimytrout - Love how this card works with anthem effects. A board wipe for Txmmy and Jxnny is pretty nice.

Ink-Treader - That's a very simple and clean design but not too exciting. I like the typeline though.

bravelion83 - A great face-up trigger. Very splashy. Not sold on the flavor.

Subject16 - This is a card after my own heart. The triggered abilities might get a bit confusing though.

RaikouRider - Very smart design. Sort of inspired by Deathmist Raptor?

kwanyeegor-ii - Indestructible AND vigilance is a strong bonus but it's hard to imagine a deck that can make use of all the parts of this card.

Henlock - Wow, just plain clever stuff. Not much to say here, it's an interesting design for +1/+1 decks.

Top 3
1 - Subject16
2 - bravelion83
3 - netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our top 6 -

Ink-Treader
Henlock
RaikouRider
Subject16
netn10
slimytrout

Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”