CCL Top 6/Round 3: My Younger Self

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

CCL July Signups/Round 2

"My Younger Self"

Chandra, Novice Pyromancer, by Anna Steinbauer and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Cycles Month here at the CCL! Horizontal, vertical, existing, new -- we're going to go make them all.

Challenge
Design an uncommon planeswalker card that represents a younger version of an existing mythic rare planeswalker.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card has to be a planeswalker card -- no pre-spark creatures.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
The contestants in this round are:

@Ink-Treader
@Henlock
@bravelion83
@netn10
@void_nothing
@Subject16
Your submissions are due Sunday, July 25th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (July 1st-July 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 10th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 19th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (July 21st–25th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due July 27th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 28th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 1st)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Koth, Vulshok Geomancer 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker — Koth (U)
+1: Koth, Vulshok Geomancer deals 1 damage to each opponent.
0: Create a Treasure token.
-3: Destroy target artifact or land.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Ajani, Pride Outcast 2WW
Planeswalker — Ajani (U)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, target creature you control gains your choice of first strike, vigilance, or lifelink until end of turn.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature you control and a loyalty counter on up to one other target planeswalker you control.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Edit: Uncommon makes this challenge much harder. Nice!

Tamiyo, Eager Student U
Legendery Planeswalker - Tamiyo (Uncommon)
Whenever you draw a card, put a loyalty counter on Tamiyo.
-2: Draw a card, then discard a card.
{1}
Last edited by netn10 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

@netn10 Gotta be uncommon!

Tyvar, Impetuous Brother 2G
Legendary Planeswalker - Tyvar (U)
When Tyvar, Impetuous Brother enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token.
+1: Up to one target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn, then up to one target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
-2: Add B or G. Untap all Elves you control. You gain 2 life.
{[3]}
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Kaya, Itinerant Exorcist 1WB
Legendary Planeswalker - Kaya (U)
Whenever one or more creature cards are exiled from an opponent's graveyard, create a Treasure token.
Sacrifice a Treasure: Put a loyalty counter on Kaya, Itinerant Exorcist
-1: Exile up to three target cards in a graveyard. Then each opponent with no cards in their graveyard loses 1 life.

slimytrout

@Henlock do you think you'll need an extension?

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Dack, Planar Rascal 1
Legendary Planeswalker - Dack (u)
Your opponents can't gain control of spells or permanents you own.
-2: Untap target artifact or creature and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste.
//4

slimytrout

Great! Round's closed! Everyone please critique each other contestant.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Quite a lot to like. It's the little things that are going to make the difference here.
Henlock
Show
Hide
The static ability is pretty niche, but getting better Act of Treason twice is really good. I do think this should have 5 loyalty, as the static ability doesn't seem breakable, so allowing Dack to stick around after two thefts should be fine. Maybe should cost 1 more due to how good -2 twice is.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Fitting enough static, very fitting loyalty ability. Nothing overwhelming. I do wonder if this could be 1 cheaper.
netn10
Show
Hide
This feels borderline very good. Pairs excellently with the likes of Brainstorm. This is definitely an interesting attempt at a 1 mana planeswalker.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Continuing on with Tyvar's Elf lord goodness! (or... preceding back?). Coming in with a token is nice, though one will want a creature ready to attack before hand, optimally. Or a bunch of tapped mana Elves. This seems perfectly playable. Maybe even could make a splash in older formats just with that -2. I will say one could probably get a way with making this rare, but a lot of the cool uncommons feel like that.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Simple, but effective. +1 is fine, if a little uninteresting. Treasure spam is quite nice if you need it. The -3 seems like a nice bit of utility that isn't easily overbearing. All in all, a nice and diverse suite of what red is capable of.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. Subject16
3. netn10

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
I'll say it here at the beginning so that I can avoid saying it every time: with the single exception of Chandra, Novice Pyromancer in M20, that has a +1, a -1, and a -2 but all are very simple one-line abilities, WAR has established that uncommon planeswalkers have a single static or triggered ability that doesn't increase loyalty followed by a single negative loyalty ability that you can do only once or twice before running out of loyalty, usually staying on the battlefield at 1 loyalty so that if you can find a way to add loyalty counters, which the planeswalker naturally can't do by themselves (in WAR, the way you did that was by using proliferate), you can then use their loyalty ability again. I expect the planeswalkers designed in this challenge to follow that pattern. The closer your planeswalker sticks to that guideline, the better it will do in my own evaluation. It's not by chance that I designed my young Ajani the way I did. By the way, I did think about Ajani Vengeant if you wonder. My Ajani is supposed to be him from a time after his Vengeant self and before all his other cards, when he has already lost red but he hasn't gained green yet. Ok, now the critiques.

Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Koth, Vulshok Geomancer 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker — Koth (U)
+1: Koth, Vulshok Geomancer deals 1 damage to each opponent.
0: Create a Treasure token.
-3: Destroy target artifact or land.
This follows more the pattern of Chandra than that of WAR. Three very simple one-line abilities. No problem with the abilities, they are all in color, but Koth is a geomancer and in his card all abilities are tied to Mountains, which here they are not. The only connection to lands on this card is that it destroys them, and I'm not exactly the biggest fan of land destruction. I see this more as a generic red planeswalker and not Koth specifically. The good news is that Chandra shows us this kind of planeswalker can technically be uncommon, even if it has three abilities, none of which are non-loyalty abilities.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Tamiyo, Eager Student U
Legendery Planeswalker - Tamiyo (Uncommon)
Whenever you draw a card, put a loyalty counter on Tamiyo.
-2: Draw a card, then discard a card.
{1}
This fits WAR's pattern except for one thing: the triggered ability being an on-card way to increase loyalty, even if it's very flavorful, especially given the character. I do like the fact that you have to use the triggered ability at least once before even being able to use the loyalty ability. I also really like how simple and elegant this design is. I'm not sure how much I like a one-mana planeswalker after the experience with Tibalt's two-mana card having to be so bad specifically to cost so little. In a way, this feels like it's more figuring out what a one-mana planeswalker can do to cost only one mana rather than letting its mana cost be whatever it needs to be for the card to be balanced.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Tyvar, Impetuous Brother 2G
Legendary Planeswalker - Tyvar (U)
When Tyvar, Impetuous Brother enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token.
+1: Up to one target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn, then up to one target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
-2: Add B or G. Untap all Elves you control. You gain 2 life.
{[3]}
This does feel like Tyvar, but according to WAR, this is rare, with a triggered ability plus two loyalty abilities. I wonder if the +1 is supposed to read "then up to one other creature..." As I read it, I felt like it was missing that word even though I don't know if it's intentional or not.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Kaya, Itinerant Exorcist 1WB
Legendary Planeswalker - Kaya (U)
Whenever one or more creature cards are exiled from an opponent's graveyard, create a Treasure token.
Sacrifice a Treasure: Put a loyalty counter on Kaya, Itinerant Exorcist
-1: Exile up to three target cards in a graveyard. Then each opponent with no cards in their graveyard loses 1 life.
Another rare planeswalker according to WAR. There are three total abilities here, with one of them also providing an on-card way to gain loyalty by the way, while there should be only two with no built-in way to increase loyalty, as I explained at the beginning. The activated ability is technically missing a period at the end. The card does feels like something Kaya could do and I do like how the three abilities synergize with each other, but again, this should be rare.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Dack, Planar Rascal 1
Legendary Planeswalker - Dack (u)
Your opponents can't gain control of spells or permanents you own.
-2: Untap target artifact or creature and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste.
//4
This fits WAR's pattern perfectly, it's even hybrid, which I didn't mention as a requirement. A static ability that doesn't increase loyalty plus a negative ability that you can only do twice. Perfect. I can only think of one way this could be better: 5 starting loyalty instead of 4, so that it survives after you've used the -2 twice. I also like how this card reflects my thoughts and feelings about the Act of Treason effect: while I usually don't play it, I don't mind too much having to use it, while I hate it being used against me. This card prevents my opponent from doing it, even to my spells that are on the stack, while still allowing me to do it. I don't know how fair this is, but I like it.
Top 3

1st place: Henlock
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: Subject16
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Subject16 - Very nice; I like three-ability 'walkers without an ultimate per se as uncommon designs. The 0 ability is particularly clever. This feels like Koth and that's all I can ask.

bravelion83 - This has abilities complex enough that it almost feels rare but since it's only two of them (and only one loyalty ability) I'm alright with that. Definitely draws on past Ajanis to make this feel like him. Altogether a well-put-together card I'd love to have in Draft.

netn10 - This could do... let's say interesting things in Eternal formats in some contexts. If it's not a huge engine it feels kind of boring, and in that sense is kind of a swingy card. Still, can't deny it feels like an uncommon Tamiyo.

Ink-Treader - Ah, that flavor! This card's kind of parasitic in that it's really hard to gain loyalty without one of two fairly specific outside effects. Still, there's only the one loyalty ability. This is mostly a hoser/utility card and that's okay.

Henlock - Awesome. This feels like the "missing" Dack card from when he got killed "offscreen" in WAR. Feels more like a multicolored card than hybrid - both abilities feel way more red than blue.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Henlock
3. Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Still a bit low on critiques! Would love to get a few more before moving on to the next round.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Subject16: A set of red, manageable abilities. I particularly like fact that it makes a great, playable Demolish..

Bravelion: Quite well rounded white Ajani,.yet a bit unexciting.

netn10: Interesting proposition for a 1 mana planeswalker. It is very limited in what it does, but the effect is relevant enough.

voidnothing: This feels quite rar-ish to me. Adding mana and gaining life and untapping all.your elves after getting a 1/1 or beinging 3 power (two for.immediate use) both feel very solid plays. Whatevee you do.qith tjis guy, .it is.good.

InkTreader: Powerful graveyard hate that gets cashed itself.for.mana. I think this can be quite powerful and result.in some.very explosive moments.

1. Sibject16
2. netn10
3. bravelion

slimytrout

Ok, I'm going to post the next round this afternoon, so last 5-ish hours to post a critique for those who haven't.

slimytrout

Congrats to the top 4, who are:

Henlock
Subject16
void_nothing
netn10

Next round to come momentarily.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”