July MCC, Round 1 - Outcast from the Pack

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Banner based on Mannichi, the Fevered Dream by Martina Pilcerova and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
July MCC, Round 1 - Outcast from the Pack

Welcome to the July MCC! It's Paradoxes Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a Werewolf creature card that is not double-faced.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not red or green.
Subchallenge 2: Your card is rare or mythic.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, July 6th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, June 9th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
slimytrout

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Wolf-Skin Dross
Art: a bipedal creature whose tattered wolf-pelt skin reveal the mess of bones and flesh that form its sinewy body underneath. Blood drips from its grimacing, fang-filled maw and glistens on its furless chest, and it grips a discernably human limb and organs in its clawed hands.
Creature - Phyrexian Werewolf (R)
Sacrifice a creature: Wolf-Skin Dross gains menace until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was a Human, Wolf-Skin Dross gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
4/4

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Thao, Thraban's Fool 1B
Legendary Creature - Zombie Vampire Werewolf (Mythic)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create one enchantment aura token of the following attached to another target creature:
* Curse of Zombify - "Enchanted creature gets -1/-1."
* Curse of Vampirism - "Enchanted creature has lifelink."
* Curse of Lycanthropy - "Enchanted creaure gets +2/+0 and attacks each turn if able."
"How does one manage to be bitten by everything? I don't want to know."
- Thalia

1/1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Tovolar, Dronepack Alpha 8
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi Werewolf (Mythic Rare)
Emerge 5RG (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's mana value.)
Menace
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, create two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on each other Eldrazi, Wolf, and Werewolf creature you control.
8/8

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Werewolf of the Blue Moons
Creature — Werewolf (Mythic Rare)
Flash
Whenever Werewolf of the Blue Moons blocks a creature, that creature loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ."
At the beginning of your end step, create a treasure token and a food token, then Werewolf of the Blue Moons loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ."
, Sacrifice an Island: Target artifact loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ." Any player may activate this ability.
6/8
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Maha, Eternal Lycanthrope 2BB
Legendary Creature - Werewolf {M}
Wither (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
Whenever a creature an opponent controls with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, that creature's controller distributes its -1/-1 counters among creatures you don't control. This ability only triggers once each turn.
3G, T: Maha, Eternal Lycanthrope fights target creature you don't control.
His curse runs so deep that not even dawn's light will make him human again.
4/4

Riria

Post by Riria » 2 years ago

Werethere 1U
Legendary Creature - Werewolf Aberration (MR)
Flash
You may cast this spell from any public zone in addition to your hand. (Including casting it from the stack as it is being cast.)
When Werethere enters the battlefield from exile, you may pay 3WW. If you do, exile target nonland permanent.
When Werethere enters the battlefield from your hand, you may pay UU. If you do, draw a card.
When Werethere enters the battlefield from a graveyard, you may pay 2BB. If you do, return target creature card from that graveyard to the battlefield.
When Werethere enters the battlefield from the stack, you may pay 1RR. If you do, it deals 3 damage to any target.
When Werethere enters the battlefield from the battlefield, you may pay G. If you do, it fights target creature.
3/1

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Howler of the Dark Pack 2B
Creature — Human Werewolf (R)
Menace
Delirium — As long as there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard, Howler of the Dark Pack becomes a Werewolf with base power and toughness 4/4 and gains "Whenever Howler of the Dark Pack blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn." (It loses all other creature types.)
"I feel like there must be something in the moon calling those like us."
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 years ago

Vicar Lucilia 1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Werewolf {M}
Lifelink
As long as your life total is greater than your starting life total, Vicar Lucilia gets +2/+2 and has indestructible.
Exile nine cards from your graveyard: You gain 4 life.
"Our thirst for blood satiates us, soothes our fears."
2/2

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Werewolf Engine (Rare)
5B
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Werewolf
7/5
Trample
Whenever a -1/-1 counter is put on Werewolf Engine, create a 1/1 black Wolf creature token with deathtouch.
{2/B}: Put a -1/-1 counter on Werewolf Engine.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Peacebind Silverite 1WW
Creature - Werewolf Cleric (Rare)
Flash
Defender, lifelink
Other Wolves and Werewolves have defender.
3/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Advanced Lupine
Artifact Creature — Werewolf (R)
: Until end of turn, Advanced Lupine can't be blocked by creatures with power X or greater, where X is equal to the number of cards in target player's hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. Put two +1/+1 counters on Advanced Lupine for each creature sacrificed this way.
"With Geralf's help, it was easy to construct the machine. The difficult part was acquiring a Werewolf to put in it."
6/6
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed - I'll be solo judging this month, so please bear with me.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Do you accept a late entry?

Secret of Clearborough w
Creature - Werewolf (r)
Flash
Champion a Human.
When Secret of Clearborough leaves the battlefield, each creature championed by it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
Clearborough was an unremarkable village until it got in risk.
3/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Do you accept a late entry?
Yes. With @slimytrout now very kindly volunteering, I'll accept all new entries until I post judging assignments.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Inexorable Beast
Creature — Werewolf (R)
Double strike
If Inexorable Beast would die, exile it instead unless it had lethal damage dealt by a single source marked on it. If you do, create a 1/1 white Human creature token. It has "When this creature blocks or becomes blocked, sacrifice it, then return an exiled card named Inexorable Beast to the battlefield under its owner's control."
He tried to die, but beast within still wanted to kill.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will do it for the round in earnest. Here are the judging assignments - top 4 contestants per judge will advance.

void_nothing:
netn10
RaikouRider
Riria
Freyleyes
Legend
kwanyeegor-ii
Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout:
vishamon
Subject16
marioguy3
bravelion83
Venedrex
Henlock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judge bump - to-do soon.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

vishamon
Show
Hide
Wolf-Skin Dross
Art: a bipedal creature whose tattered wolf-pelt skin reveal the mess of bones and flesh that form its sinewy body underneath. Blood drips from its grimacing, fang-filled maw and glistens on its furless chest, and it grips a discernably human limb and organs in its clawed hands.
Creature - Phyrexian Werewolf (R)
Sacrifice a creature: Wolf-Skin Dross gains menace until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was a Human, Wolf-Skin Dross gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
4/4
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy is interested in making an enormous menacing threat, but doesn't love having to sacrifice to do it. Spike sees a strong way to close out the game with an instant-speed activation, but is also very worried about getting 2-for-1'ed by removal. Johnny sees a free sacrifice outlet, but not one with a very interesting effect.
(3/3) Elegance – Very straightforward.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Definitely correct in black. However, the rarity is a bit weird – it's sort of correct in that black only gets a 4-mana 4/4 with upside at rare, but it's also sort of wrong in that it's not an exciting enough card to be rare. Would work better as a 4-mana 3/3 at uncommon with this ability, or with another ability that makes it more rare.
(2/3) Balance – Pretty weak for a rare – it just doesn't do enough. Compare to Falkenrath Aristocrat (admittedly a standard powerhouse), which had built-in evasion, haste, the ability to protect itself, and kept a counter if it sacrificed a Human. The fact that this gets menace means you have to sacrifice the creature before combat to get the advantage, which reduces your ability to use the threat of activation. Still, enough of a beater that it would see limited play.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness – Looks a lot like Falkenrath Torturer except with menace and +2/+2 instead of flying and a +1/+1 counter (and at rare instead of common).
(1/3) Flavor – Why do Phyrexian Werewolves behave like the Falkenrath Vampires? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. And unfortunately you spent a lot of time on a cool art description, which I can't really take into account, and no time on flavor text, which would absolutely have fit.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Considered taking off points for just putting a non-rare card at rare, but decided not to since the stats partially justify it.

Total: 18.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Tovolar, Dronepack Alpha 8
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi Werewolf (Mythic Rare)
Emerge 5RG (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's mana value.)
Menace
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, create two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on each other Eldrazi, Wolf, and Werewolf creature you control.
8/8
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy is over the moon about this (pun intended). Spike sees a lot of value, but is worried about instant-speed removal and counters. Johnny is not really interested.
(2.5/3) Elegance – A lot of text here, and the fact that it sort of reads like the other Werewolf text but very much isn't is dangerous, but mostly it's pretty grokkable.
Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Colors are right, but I'm not totally sure this needs to be mythic. Admittedly it gets out of control after a few turns, but you'll often have to sacrifice a creature to get it out quickly enough to matter in limited and it has no ETB/cast effect so I think it would be a strong but not format-warping rare (compare to the other emerge creatures, which all have cast effects so that you're always getting at least some value).
(2.5/3) Balance – Close to being good enough for a standard werewolves/eldrazi deck, but again, the fact that it's an automatic 2-for-1 against instant-speed removal and counters I think makes it a bit too vulnerable.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – Obviously enormous creatures with emerge have been done, and the triggered ability is a riff on the werewolf transform text (and is very vaguely reminiscent of Huntmaster of the Fells) but overall it feels pretty fresh.
(2/3) Flavor – Minor deductions for not producing Eldrazi Wolf tokens and for not quite reproducing the werewolf transform clause (which would bug some people) but overall it's a fun package.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges – Yep yep.

Total: 20/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Werewolf of the Blue Moons
Creature — Werewolf (Mythic Rare)
Flash
Whenever Werewolf of the Blue Moons blocks a creature, that creature loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ."
At the beginning of your end step, create a treasure token and a food token, then Werewolf of the Blue Moons loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ."
, Sacrifice an Island: Target artifact loses all abilities and becomes an Island with ": Add ." Any player may activate this ability.
6/8
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy likes an enormous flash creature, but doesn't like losing it at after one turn. Spike doesn't love a 6-mana 1-for-1 even if it does get to crunch for 6, but I guess they might see something in the final ability if the format is right. Johnny loves how freaking weird this is.
(2/3) Elegance – Definitely microtext, but actually some of the space could have been saved by not including the unnecessary Island text (see Quality). Also a bit confusing because there's a lot of abilities, although the fact that each ability does a similar thing helps with that.
Development
(2/3) Viability – Definitely too weird and packed with text to be mythic – rare would have been right. Blue can do all of these things at high rarity, even if a Food token is a bit of a stretch.
(2/3) Balance – Man, this is a tough card to evaluate. If your opponent is attacking, you get to turn their biggest ground creature into an Island and then hit them back for 6, but then the Werewolf turns into an Island, but you get a Food and Treasure back, and maybe you got to use one of your Islands to turn their best artifact into an Island, so… still not amazing? Maybe would see play if people are slamming haymaker artifacts *and* attacking a lot, but otherwise probably not.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – I mean, yes. Definitely yes.
(1.5/3) Flavor – I don't really get it. I mean, sure there are vague Werewolf vibes with the transformations, but why does it involve turning into an Island?

Polish
(2/3) Quality – Doesn't need the repeated Island text, since Islands are defined as having the ability to tap for blue mana – just needed one set of reminder text (see Breeding Pool, e.g.). Also Food and Treasure should both be capitalized, since they're subtypes.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Yep yep.

Total: 18.5/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Howler of the Dark Pack 2B
Creature — Human Werewolf (R)
Menace
Delirium — As long as there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard, Howler of the Dark Pack becomes a Werewolf with base power and toughness 4/4 and gains "Whenever Howler of the Dark Pack blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn." (It loses all other creature types.)
"I feel like there must be something in the moon calling those like us."
2/2
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy likes the prospect of a 3-mana 4/4 menace, although delirium is a little fiddly for them. ("I need to worry about whether my deck has enough instants and enough sorceries?") Spike, on the other hand, definitely likes trying to achieve delirium and also the combat math required by the flanking-like ability. Johnny doesn't see much to interest them.
(2.5/3) Elegance – The fact that it has to "become" a Werewolf when it already is one is a bit weird (though I get how it works), but otherwise it all makes sense.
Development
(2.5/3) Viability – It feels a little bit of weak sauce for a rare (seems to be a theme today). I went back and forth on this but ultimately decided on a minor deduction because the other delirium rare creatures printed in SOI had a reasonable body to begin with and then got a minor bonus for delirium, whereas a 3-mana 2/2 menace is well below common level.
(2/3) Balance – As above – the fact that it's pretty garbage even in limited if you don't have delirium and is only mildly overstatted in constructed if you do get it means that it's probably not seeing much play.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – The type-changing is very reminiscent of the old threshold creatures, so the main innovation is the combat ability, which is cool but hardly revolutionary.
(2.5/3) Flavor – It at least makes a nod to the fact that it's weird that it doesn't actually transform, but I don't think it quite finds a real explanation.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges – Yep.

Venedrex
Show
Hide
Advanced Lupine
Artifact Creature — Werewolf (R)
: Until end of turn, Advanced Lupine can't be blocked by creatures with power X or greater, where X is equal to the number of cards in target player's hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. Put two +1/+1 counters on Advanced Lupine for each creature sacrificed this way.
"With Geralf's help, it was easy to construct the machine. The difficult part was acquiring a Werewolf to put in it."
6/6
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy likes an enormous thing that gets enormous-er and difficult to block. Johnny finds it to be an interesting package and plays into a weird sort of aristocrats deck where you empty your hand and then sacrifice everything into this. Spike likes the first ability, but is wary of putting too much stock in the second, especially since it isn't at instant speed.
(3/3) Elegance – Sure, all makes sense.
Development
(3/3) Viability – Rare artifacts can do almost anything, and this fits the bill.
(2.5/3) Balance – 6-mana creatures have a high bar to clear in constructed, and I don't think that this quite makes it over, since it lacks an ETB effect. However, it is very capable of 1-shotting your opponent, and would absolutely see a lot of play in limited.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – Yeah, each ability is unusual enough that I think this gets full points.
(2/3) Flavor – Unless I'm very much mistaken, this is a riff on Lupine Prototype, so the speaker has got to be Ludevic, but you can't just assume that everyone would know that. Also, "Lupine" is an adjective and so it's weird to have it used as a noun in the card's name.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – While werewolf is capitalized in rules text, it shouldn't be in flavor text. I think the first ability ought to go something like: "Choose target player… cards in that player's hand" – you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a card that targets inside the determination of a variable X. Also, it should just say "where X is the number" – no need for "equal to."

Total: 21.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Secret of Clearborough w
Creature - Werewolf (r)
Flash
Champion a Human.
When Secret of Clearborough leaves the battlefield, each creature championed by it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
Clearborough was an unremarkable village until it got in risk.
3/4
Design
(3/3) Appeal – An all-rounder! Timmy loves the crazy stats on a 1/1 and the fact that it grows the creature it returns. Spike likes the added mode of being able to save a Human from removal and then return it to play stronger once the Werewolf dies. Johnny is imagining some crazy blink deck.
(2/3) Elegance – The LTB trigger would be kinda confusing in terms of timing – if you didn't stack the triggers correctly it would miss out on the counter. I suspect that there would have been a way to make it work without a trigger (some sort of replacement effect probably), but I'm on critique number 6 so I'm afraid I'm a bit too harried to come up with it for you.
Development
(3/3) Viability – I'm going to leave the text problems for Elegance and Quality (none of them rise to the level of being a threat to the card), and this definitely works as a white rare.
(2.5/3) Balance – Man, this has hefty stats for a 1-drop – perhaps too hefty. Obviously it's held back by the fact that you can't actually play it on turn 1, but I think its versatility makes up for that. The only thing that holds me back from dropping it further is that it's not a Human itself, which causes some real tension with going straight into Modern Humans.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness – The closest comparison is Mistbind Clique, which has some parallels but is overall pretty different.
(3/3) Flavor – I like it – the weird and mysterious nature of it definitely fits with the name.

Polish
(1/3) Quality – The champion ability should not have a period at the end, and should have reminder text. The triggered ability (if it's not rewritten) should have an "until end of turn" so it doesn't just apply forever (I know, it shouldn't matter, but crazy stuff can happen). The flavor text isn't quite English.

Total: 21/25
Results
Show
Hide
Bit of a low-scoring round, but I guess to be expected with a tough challenge like this one (or maybe I was just in an unforgiving mood).
Venedrex: 21.5
Henlock 21
bravelion83: 20
Subject16: 20

marioguy3: 18.5
vishamon: 18.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy loves throwing Auras around. Jxnny has tons to do with this. Spike likes the flexibility but finds it kind of small and fragile overall.
(2/3) Elegance - Three different things to track, but the Auras themselves are thankfully all simple. One of those things that's much easier in a digital game.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a black card, and so unusual that it has to be mythic.
(3/3) Balance - Much more of a fun card than a power one, especially given its fragility.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Quite unique and very smart design.
(3/3) Flavor - Genius. How indeed?

Polish
(1/3) Quality - This is an unusual ability templated unusually but there are still some objective mistakes here. Based on Outlaws' Merriment: "At the beginning of your upkeep, choose another target creature and choose one. Create a black Aura enchantment token attached to that creature with that name and characteristics." Also, given that the names of the tokens have a rules meaning (they're, well, attributes of the tokens) they can't be italic.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes a were that will just eat up any other creature. Jxnny has plenty of moving parts to manipulate. Spike likes the versatility and efficient power.
(2/3) Elegance - A bit wordy and involves some potentially time-wasting decision making and math. Not sure why it's "among creatures you don't control" instead of "they control" - I suppose for EDH, which is a valid thing to take into account.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors involved and rarity definitely look right.
(1.5/3) Balance - I would say this card's rather pushed, and under the right circumstances could wipe opponents' boards, but it's also vulnerable to plenty of removal.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Interesting as a total package. The souped-up Blowfly Infestation ability could get wild.
(3/3) Flavor - Great. I will give full marks this round to ANY card that explains why it is a non-transforming Werewolf.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks alright.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.

Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy is excited by a creature that can be cast from anywhere and do all those things, but is also overwhelmed by it and would rather play something that they don't have to explain to everyone. Jxnny's appeal seems obvious but this card is actually kind of linear: it's mostly just a bunch of useful ETBs. Spike is into the recursion mostly.
(0/3) Elegance - I think the elegance points against this card are obvious. It'd probably be one of the most complicated cards ever printed, if not the #1.

Development
(2/3) Viability - There are no color pie issues with this card - there are costs of all colors in it in the appropriate places after all - but the chief thing wrong with it is that the central conceit does not work. Whenever a creature spell resolves it's entering the battlefield from the stack; there are ways to have this card ETB from your hand, graveyard, or exile for certain but they're all external to the card itself, and there's nothing at all in Magic, not even this card's own abilities, that can make it enter the battlefield from the battlefield. You would need those ETB abilities to be "when you cast"s or else put a bunch of "if you cast it from"s in there.
(0/3) Balance - Everything else aside I think a two-mana 3-power creature that you can cast from your graveyard or exile, with flash, is far too strong no matter what. And this is in a color that should be bad at small creatures: True-Name Nemesis eat your heart out.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A wild idea that's either ahead of its time or completely unviable.
(0/3) Flavor - There seems to be no reason this card's a Werewolf in the first place other than to make essentially the same joke as Young Frankenstein.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Only Quality problem I see is the functional issue as described above (but that is a serious one).

Total: 13/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy's reasons for liking this one are obvious. Jxnny is oddly attracted to the "free" lifegain ability. Spike likes it being a toolbox/potential incredible beater with two keywords (indestructible and lifelink) that make taking over the game easy.
(2/3) Elegance - Involves a bit of tracking, and the exile nine cards thing seems like such an arbitrary number.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely the right color and rarity.
(2.5/3) Balance - No serious complaints - the powered-up state is VERY strong and self-perpetuates but can be taken away at any moment by an opponent on their guard.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Resembles many white "This gets bigger if your life total is high" creatures, with some new wrinkles.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nice. Feels vicious, but also white.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.

Total: 22/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the size, Jxnny likes the token and counter fun, Spike likes the versatility and sort-of-removal-proofing.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Will probably usually result in a lot of tokens and a lot of counters: i.e. a lot of tracking.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Rarity looks right; this is a big ol' rare Limited beater. Colorwise - although it's not wrong per se I can't help but feel like this would have worked better, if not for the challenge, as a "Hydra Engine" that made Snake tokens in green. The flavor (see below) would have clicked a lot better, the mechanics would all feel more at home… I know the deathtouch Wolf is a preexisting token but iirc it's only made by Garruk, the Veil-Cursed.
(3/3) Balance - No complaints - as mentioned earlier this seems like a Limited finisher through and through.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a newish spin on the many "remove a +1/+1 counter, make a 1/1 token" cards of the past a la Tetravus.
(1/3) Flavor - Phyrexia laughs at the biology of the non-compleat of course, but I'm sort of confused on what the flavor of the activated ability is supposed to represent? Is the machine-Werewolf made of Wolves? Does its bleeding just attract the Wolf tokens?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy might have an enemy Txmmy with a tribal deck that needs hosing. Jxnny can use type changing on opposing creatures and go to town. Spike isn't a fan of defenders, usually, even if they have flash and a narrow but potent hosing ability.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Nothing to complain about here except the timing of granting defender at instant speed.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(2/3) Balance - Sits in an odd place powerwise. Either it's shutting off an inoffensive tribal deck or, worst case, is probably a too-efficient boardstalling flash lifelink blocker.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The total package is something that hasn't been done before, but forcing creatures not to attack is one of white's oldest tricks in the book.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I'm guessing this is a peaceful Werewolf that evangelizes pacifism to other Werewolves and… nonsapient Wolves? I have to read this in, because there's no flavor text. It's a good card concept that might need more spelling out,

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 19.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy's appeal here should be obvious. This would normally be complex enough to entice Jxnny but there may not be enough fun to be had here with the token. Spike likes beaters that are difficult to get rid of and can close out the game with ease.
(2/3) Elegance - Easy to understand after you've comprehended it, but very wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Clearly both red and rare. Wouldn't mind this at mythic actually.
(2/3) Balance - A 3/3 double striker that is overall hard to kill for four mana is very strong, but the period of vulnerability in Human form makes up for it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Mechanical reference to a wacky old card I like a lot, Ogre Enforcer! That card itself was later given, I suppose, a more comprehensible version in Callous Giant but c'mon, you gotta love the reference to the inside machinery of M:tG with damage marking.
(3/3) Flavor - Cool - plays up the "relentless killing machine" horror-film Werewolf stuff.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.

Total: 22/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Freyleyes 22
Lorn Asbord Schutta 22
netn10 21.5
RaikouRider 21.5

Legend 20
kwanyeegor-ii 19.5
Riria 13

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”