June MCC, Round 2 - Industrial Trip

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Banner based on Blex, Vexing Pest // Search for Blex by Ekaterina Burmak and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
June MCC, Round 2 - Industrial Trip

Welcome to the May MCC! It's Subtype Groups Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a land card that is a Mine, Tower, or Power-Plant.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has a mana ability that can produce more than one mana at once
Subchallenge 2: Your card has two or more activated abilities

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, June 21st 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, June 23rd 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Subject16
StonerOfKruphix

Players:
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@Freyleyes
@bravelion83
@RaikouRider
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Ink-Treader
@Riria
@netn10
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

The Etherworks
Legendary Land - Power-Plant {R}
When The Etherworks enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, you get E (an energy counter).
T: Add C.
T, Pay EE: Add CC.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

The Devour Project
Legendary Land - Mine (Mythic)
Lands you control loses all mana abilities, are Mine in addition to their other types and have "T, Sacrifice this land: Create two treasure tokens."
"The Devour Project will ensure our prosperty. I just wish our children will enjoy it too."
- Sariz, Industrial Advisor

Riria

Post by Riria » 2 years ago

Babel v2.0
Legendary Land - Tower (MR)
No more than one creature you control can attack or block each combat.
T: Put a brick counter on Babel v2.0 for each creature you control.
T, Remove X brick counters from Babel v2.0: Add half X C (rounded down). If X is 25 or more, you win the game.
The progress of production and advances within construction in the last three thousand years have not only reduced the time and resources needed for erecting buildings, but also the amount of communication required.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Open-Pit Mine
Land - Mine (R)
When Open-Pit Mine enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice an untapped land.
T: Add two mana of any one color, then put a depletion counter on Open-Pit Mine. Activate this ability only if there are two or fewer depletion counters on Open-Pit Mine.
Sacrifice an untapped land: Remove all depletion counters from Open-Pit Mine.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Tower of the Guildpact
Land — Tower (R)
Tower of the Guildpact enters the battlefield tapped unless you reveal a land card with two or more basic land types from your hand.
T, Pay 2 life: Add two mana in any combination of colors.
After being destroyed during Bolas's invasion of Ravnica, the palace of the Living Guildpact has been rebuilt, this time as the highest tower of the whole city.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Stormsong Tower
Land - Tower (U)
RR, Tap and exert X untapped Towers you control: Stormsong Tower deals X damage to any target. (An exerted permanent won't untap during your next untap step.)
It conducts a sound and fury that can't be ignored.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Kinetic Station
Land - Power-Plant (u)
: Add .
, Tap an untapped creature you control: For each colored mana symbol on the tapped creature's mana cost, add .
Why use our bodies for battle when we can use them for progress?

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Arcbound Charge Station
Artifact Land - Power-Plant (Rare)
Arcbound Charge Station enters the battlefield tapped.
T, Remove three +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Add CCC.
T: Move a +1/+1 counter from target creature you control onto another target creature you control.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to give @Freyleyes a 24-hour extension - everyone else is of course absolutely free to edit during that time if they like.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 years ago

Tower of God
Legendary Land - Tower{M}
Tower of God enters the battlefield with a Light counter on it.
T: Add c for each light counter on Tower of God.
T, Remove four Light counters from Tower of God: Create Imawari, a legendary 6/6 white Avatar creature token with indestructible.
Grandeur — Discard another card named Tower of God: Put a Light counter on Tower of God.
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And I'll close the round now. The judging assignments are the following. Top two per judge will advance.

void_nothing:
netn10
Ink-Treader
kwanyeegor-ii

Subject16:
RaikouRider
Riria
bravelion83

StonerOfKruphix:
slimytrout
Henlock
Freyleyes

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 2 years ago

Judging complete. Great designs from all contestants.

slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Open-Pit Mine
Land - Mine (R)
When Open-Pit Mine enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice an untapped land.
T: Add two mana of any one color, then put a depletion counter on Open-Pit Mine. Activate this ability only if there are two or fewer depletion counters on Open-Pit Mine.
Sacrifice an untapped land: Remove all depletion counters from Open-Pit Mine.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Definitely a Jxnny card because of all the counter synergies and the land-recursion opportunities. Spike likes the immediate value. Txmmy doesn't like sacrificing their stuff.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but still pretty grokkable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely what one would expect from a rare land, as I find it hard to have land that make more than one mana (without huge drawbacks) at common or uncommon. Some might argue it could even be a mythic because of its flexibility and power, but I can see it as a rare.
(2/3) Balance - While I can see that there have been some stops put in there to prevent this from going completely bonkers, we also have to underline the fact that this land gives you 6 mana for the initial cost of sacrificing a single land, basically paying for itself the first turn you play it. Sure, you'll have to sacrifice a land every three turns to keep it going, but it's basically nothing for the value you get. Add this to the fact that every deck can run this, and you run into a whole lotta problems. Personally, I would've gone the opposite way, by having the land start with two counters, removing a counter to add two mana and sacrificing a land to put two counters on it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - While it's true that both the "sacrifice this unless you sacrifice a land" and the "depletion counters" mechanics are something that was already done in the past (see: Saprazzan Skerry, Lotus Vale et al) and this is basically a mix of them, the idea of sacrificing lands to refuel the mine is very nice.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I mean, it's okay, it encapsulates what a Mine could be, but it's a little bland.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - The new template introduced in MH2 states that "this ability" in "Activate this ability" is superfluous (-0.5).
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Check.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Double check.
Total: 21/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Kinetic Station
Land - Power-Plant (u)
: Add .
, Tap an untapped creature you control: For each colored mana symbol on the tapped creature's mana cost, add .
Why use our bodies for battle when we can use them for progress?
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Definitely a Txmmy card because of all the mana it could generate. Spike likes the value it could bring but dislikes the setup required, Jxnny likes the ways to maximize the effect, but it's still too linear.
(2/3) Elegance - The only reason I'm knocking this down a point is because it will create some confusion among new players. If I tap a White Knight, would it add C or CC? Of course it would add two, but a lot of players will equate symbols with colors. But what would happen if I tap a Prismari Pledgemage, then? Or a Shadewing Laureate? And so on, and so forth.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Well, it's a colorless land, so there's nothing it couldn't technically do, but I think an effect that allows you to get more than one mana repeatedly would make this fall squarely into Rare territory.
(1.5/3) Balance - I'll concede that the fact that it produces colorless mana is a safety valve so that this doesn't go crazy, but in the right deck this could usually net you 2/3 mana per turn. This would definitely hamper future designs for multicolored cheap cards, and it's already bonkers with some of them. Let's say, that for example you play a Jund Hackblade on turn 2, then play this on turn 3. Boom, you've gone from 2 to 5 mana. This is super risky territory.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Its effect reminds me of mana dorks like Bloom Tender or Faeburrow Elder mixed with Charmed Pendant. Still, it's a fresh design for me.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The name couldn't be more perfect. The flavor text is okay.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Should be "in the tapped creature mana cost" (see Charmed Pendant)(-0.5).

Total: 19/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
2 years ago
Tower of God
Legendary Land - Tower{M}
Tower of God enters the battlefield with a Light counter on it.
T: Add c for each light counter on Tower of God.
T, Remove four Light counters from Tower of God: Create Imawari, a legendary 6/6 white Avatar creature token with indestructible.
Grandeur — Discard another card named Tower of God: Put a Light counter on Tower of God.
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Spike is not interested, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Txmmy likes it for the payoff, while Jxnny likes it with maybe some proliferate synergies.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit crowded, but it reads fine.

Development
(3/3) Viability - For an effect like this, I wouldn't expect this to be less than a rare, so the rarity is fine. The rest is all right.
(2/3) Balance - Let me tell you, I've opened a lot of disappointing rares and mythics in limited, but this would no doubt take the cake. It needs so much support that it's effectively a dead pick in draft. On the constructed side, I could see this getting played, but only if you have a very specific deck based on recurring lands (via Life from the Loam for example) or some proliferate synergy. The thing is, the payoff is good, but it's not great. An indestructible 6/6 with no evasion is definitely on the weaker side of payoffs, especially with all the work you have to put into it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Grandeur on a land is a very nice way to bring back legendary lands without the problems they could generate.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I was actually very interested in this Imawari figure, this God sitting atop the tower's pinnacle, but the very generic name and the flavor text straight-up lifted from Ozymandias (without quotes or anything) not only tell me nothing about this, but also leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - "Light counter" should not be capitalized (-0.5 x3).

Total: 18.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout 21
Henlock 19
Freyleyes 18.5
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 2 years ago

Bump for judging.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy loves BIG MANA, Jxnny has many creative ways to use this, Spike likes the sheer power of the accel.
(3/3) Elegance - Sure it messes with your other lands' abilities, but it also turns them all into something very simple and understandable: Sac to access more mana right now.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels like a mythic for many reasons.
(1/3) Balance - Extremely strong, maybe near-broken considering it can just be used like a free ritual. An "other lands" there would help a lot, but even then, it's easy to use this to set up an explosive finishing play.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A lot that is either very unusual or outright new here, all in one ability. Whew.
(3/3) Flavor - Absolutely love this. A tremendous allegory.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - "Lose" all mana abilities, are "Mines" in addition to their other types, and "Treasure" (capitalized) tokens. Also, I feel like the flavor text should say "would enjoy it" or "could enjoy it".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yup, looks good.
(0/2) Subchallenges - Neither.

Total: 19/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes blasting things. Jxnny likes strange tribal decks. Spike likes repeatable removal on a land.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Potentially a lot of exerting to remember.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely skirts the line between uncommon and rare, but in the context of Limited especially I can see it at uncommon.
(3/3) Balance - Exerted lands as a drawback is real, and this requires relatively heavy Tower support to be really good. However, it's not bad all on its own.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Tower tribal feels like totally wacky fun - the closest thing I guess I could compare it to is Shrines.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nice. A name that rolls off the tongue plus cool flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Yup.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - No multi-mana ability.

Total: 22.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - While Txmmy wants three mana a pop, they also don't want to give up three +1/+1s for it. Jxnny has a ton to do with this but Spike would only want it if they had Jxnny tendencies in the first place.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Mostly elegant in usage but the wording is a bit cluttered and all the counter manip is fiddly. Also with the extra bit of complexity of being an artifact land.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Assuredly a rare.
(2/3) Balance - Artifact lands are always questionable, plus this is a quite swingy card - either it's totally dead or it leads to blowouts.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Interesting combo of abilities but nothing unprecedented here: Feels like a riff on the recent Power Depot plus Mishra's Workshop?
(0.5/3) Flavor - That name is a mouthful, and a card with Arcbound in the name not directly having modular feels wrong - plus this feels more like the opposite of a place Arcbound creatures go to charge up.

Polish
(3/3) Quality -
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 17.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader 22.5
netn10 19

kwanyeegor-ii 17.5

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Johnny and Spike love the idea of a free, constant source of energy. Timmy likes being able to get more mana out of a land.
(3/3) Elegance – Reads fine to me.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Energy production is available to all colors and types as far as I'm concerned. As a way to continuously get energy, having this at rare seems appropriate. A one to one conversion rate from energy to mana has also been previously established through Aether Hub and Servant of the Conduit.
(1.5/3) Balance – It's no secret that in the time Kaladesh was in standard that Energy decks were incredibly strong, in part due to easy methods of production and worthwile payoff wincons. A card like this fits right in as both energy source and energy payoff by means of producing extra mana. While in theory by itself this card only makes two mana every other turn, in any deck built to capitalise on Energy this will consistently produce two mana, and that has the potential to warp a constructed format like standard or pioneer. The positive aspect of this is that it's legendary and therefore not as abusable (Though playing a second copy would still net you energy).

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – We've never seen Energy production this constant before which is nice, but cards that turn energy into mana has been done a few times.
(3/3) Flavor – This feels completely on-brand for a Kaladesh card. Power-Plants generate energy, and Kaladesh has definitely undergone enough of an industrial revolution to have many of them. The only gripe I have here is the spelling of the card, which should be Aetherworks (see Polish).

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – If this card is indeed set on Kaladesh which all signs point to, it should be spelled Aetherworks.
(2/2) Main Challenge - It's a land, and it's a Power-Plant.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It's got two activated abilities.

Total: 22/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal – Timmy and Spike aren't fans of a land that A) doesn't produce mana well and B) limits their offensive and defensive options. Johnny is over the moon at alternative win conditions.
(1/3) Elegance – There's a lot of text here, especially the flavor text. The first and second ability also seem counteractive to one another for me. Your creatures help build up this tower, but you win by removing all the bricks again? Mind you I'm not super versed in the Tower of Babel mythos, but I always believed that the tower falling was a bad thing? The second ability's "rounded down" thing also seems complicated.

Development
(2/3) Viability – A card this whacky and complicated could only fit at mythic. There is nothing about this card that bends or twists the rules of the game, however there are some issues I find in it that I think use the rules in ways that don't befit the game (see Balance).
(1/3) Balance – In terms of actual balance, this card's win condition is hard to pull off. Only one block per combat means you're going to be on the receiving end of a lot of aggro and you probably won't make it to 25 brick counters in a given game. That probably makes it pretty balanced, except that the "win the game" condition is attached to a mana ability, which does not use the stack and therefore cannot be responded to. An effect like this, on a land no less, that lets you win the game without giving your opponent the chance to stop you, goes against the ethos of those kinds of effects. If you tacked on "Activate only as an instant/sorcery", then the ability could at least be responded to with countermagic or maybe some last ditch damage. The way it is now, even with the steep steps to get to the win-the-game ability, the inability to prevent it makes it unbalanced in my book.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – This card does a lot of very new things, especially for lands: Restricting your own game state, brick counters, winning the game. All some very unique effects.
(0/3) Flavor – Not since Arabian Nights (or to a lesser extent the Walking Dead secret lair) have we had real-world references in the MtG lore. There would need to be an astounding flavor reason to allow this. Again, the flavor of the card mentioning how much more efficiently people work and communicate clashes with the physical removal of the counters as a win condition, especially with how that relates to the Tower of Babel this card also references.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – The wording all looks fine to me, though I needed to check that "half X" was a thing, which Hydroid Krasis verified.
(2/2) Main Challenge - It's a land, and it's a Tower.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It has two activated abilities.

Total: 15/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Spike likes being able to have consistent mana fixing available, and a colored Ancient Tomb is something they would love. Johnny also enjoys mana fixing and a chance to mess around with jank unconcerned for mana production. Timmy also likes two mana on one land.
(3/3) Elegance – The elements of the card all line up, especially on Ravnica, home of the shocklands.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Shocklands meets Ancient Tomb/Mana Conflucne in a very powerful source of mana. This definitely belongs at rare.
(2/3) Balance – This card has the potential to be a very powerful addition to constructed formats, especially Modern and Legacy where there is a very high potential for these cards to enter untapped. Ancient Tomb is a staple of Legacy, Commander, and the standard of its time, and I can see this card fulfilling that same role, only better, since this not only provides colored mana, but can also produce mana without having to fork over your life. This latter ability's presence to me makes this card feel like a much better version of an already very powerful land, and that is one that makes me question its balance.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness – I feel like I've referenced a lot of other lands in this judgment, and that's because this card takes a lot of different elements from said lands and puts them together in a new way. New, but not exactly unique.
(3/3) Flavor – Mana Confluence's last printing was at the same location this card is now at, which is also a nexus of leylines on Ravnica. The fact that it's a Tower also makes perfect sense considering the new Guildpact being a dragon and ability to fly around.

Polish
(2/3) Quality – The "entering the battlefield tapped" clause should really be worded in the same way that the shocklands or (for a better example) Game Trail is.
(2/2) Main Challenge - It's a land, and it's a Tower.
(2/2) Subchallenges – It has two activated abilities.

Total: 21.5/25
totals
Show
Hide
RaikouRider: 22/25
Riria: 15/25
bravelion83: 21.5/25

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”