void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL May Signups/Round 2

"The Cavalry Arrives"

Alms Collector, taken from Art of MtG, by Bram Sels and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Instant Month here in the CCL - this month will be all about various things done at instant speed.

Challenge
Design a creature card with flash and mana value 4 or greater.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Saturday, May 15th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 29th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Vicious Nosferatu 4BB
Creature - Vampire (Uncommon)
Flash
Lifelink
When Vicious Nosferatu enters the battlefield, if it's your turn, target opponent discards a card.
5/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

JessWill
Bad %$#% gamer
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JessWill » 2 years ago

Mystical Hydra XGU
Creature - Hydra (R)
Flash
When Mystical Hydra enters the battlefield, counter target spell with converted mana cost X, then put a number of +1/+1 counters on Mystical Hydra equal to that spell's converted mana cost.
0/0

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Swift Protector 2{G/W}{G/W}
Creature — Human Shaman (U)
Flash
When Swift Protector enters the battlefield, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to another target creature this turn.
"No living beings exist that don't need to be protected."
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

sunspear cavalry
creature — soltari soldier (u)
flying, haste, flash
when sunspear cavalry enters the battlefield, you may exile another creature you control until sunspear cavalry leaves the battlefield. if you do, put a +1/+1 counter on sunspear cavalry.
"FOR HRAIN'S WILL!"
3/4

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Protective Angel
Creature — Angel (Uncommon)
Flash
Flying
When Protective Angel enters the battlefield, if it was cast, counter target ability that targets you or another permanent you control with mana value 4 or less.
When Protective Angel dies, up to one target creature you control gains hexproof until end of turn.
3/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Slira, the Storm Perfected 1WUR
Legendary Creature - Djinn Monk (Mythic)
Flash
Flying, prowess
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, scry 1.
Whenever you cast an equipment or aura spell, draw a card.
2/4

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Corpse Plunderer 3UB
Creature - Human Pirate (R)
Flash
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a Treasure token and draw a card.
"Shame to let this stuff go to waste..."
3/3

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Soulkeeper
Creature — Spirit (R)
Flash
When Soulkeeper enters the battlefield, you may exile up to one target creature you control or a creature card in your graveyard. When Soulkeeper dies, return that creature to the battlefield tapped.
2/4
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Imposing Archon 3WW
Creature - Archon Warrior (R)
Flash
Flying
When Imposing Archon enters the battlefield, if it's the combat phase, put a +1/+1 counter on Imposing Archon for each creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control, then end the combat phase.
3/3

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Magescorcher Hellkite 5RR
Creature - Dragon {M}
Flash
Flying, trample
When Magescorcher Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target opponent and each creature that player controls for each noncreature spell that player has cast this turn.
5/5

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Runesnatcher Clique 3UU
Creature - Faerie Rogue {R}
Flash
Flying
When Runesnatcher Clique enters the battlefield, gain control of target spell. If you do, you may choose new targets for it, then that spell's owner gains control of Runesnatcher Clique. (A copy of a permanent spell becomes a token.)
3/3

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

Volatile Force 3r
Creature — Elemental (U)
Flash
When Volatile Force dies, it deals 2 damage to each creature that was dealt damage this turn.
"Be careful how hard you hit it. It doesn't look entirely stable."
3/1
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary:

kwanyeegor-ii
JessWill
bravelion83
dangerousdice
marioguy3
netn10
slimytrout
Venedrex
Ink-Treader
MonoRedMage
RaikouRider
Flatline
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

JessWill
Show
Hide
This card isn't mana value 4 or greater, but that aside, the triggered ability doesn't work the way you want it to. The Hydra will die before getting the counters as written, but that's easily fixed by separating the counters from the ETB.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
I'd wager this could cost 1 less without anyone batting an eye. That being said, it's still playable.
dangerousdice
Show
Hide
That's a cute way to protect a creature and make a pretty solid beater even stronger. Might even be a little undercosted.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
The ETB is fine, in fact it probably doesn't need the mana value limitation at all. The death trigger is a little less useful, since you'd actively need a sacrifice outlet to get mileage out of it.
netn10
Show
Hide
This is potent creature, but this doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the flash mechanic. I wonder if the bonus for instants and sorceries could be bumped up a little to scry 2, or maybe tack on "gain 1 life".
slimytrout
Show
Hide
"Another" might be more flavorful, but otherwise this seems like a nice way to recover from a boardwipe or lesser scenarios.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Seems alright. Notable that two of these can loop with a sacrifice outlet, but it's hard to call that specifically an issue, and it's hardly the only way to pull that off.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. bravelion83
3. dangerousdice

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Vicious Nosferatu 4BB
Creature - Vampire (Uncommon)
Flash
Lifelink
When Vicious Nosferatu enters the battlefield, if it's your turn, target opponent discards a card.
5/3
Nice tension, this is a creature with flash that you want to cast on your own turn. One could say why does it need to have flash then, but as I said, I like the tension. At least it's one more option. Also, interesting in multiplayer as it says *target* opponent. Good submission overall, and strong start for my bracket.
JessWill wrote:
2 years ago
Mystical Hydra XGU
Creature - Hydra (R)
Flash
When Mystical Hydra enters the battlefield, counter target spell with converted mana cost X, then put a number of +1/+1 counters on Mystical Hydra equal to that spell's converted mana cost.
0/0
Old terminology (CMC is now "mana value") but fine card. It's just a bit too similar to Draining Whelk, which I remember well because a friend of mine at the time played it in his deck. Also, I don't see much green in this card. As the Whelk demonstrates, blue can put the +1/+1 counters on by itself. Also, I guess this should have been "as" it etb, not "when". As is, it dies before even getting the counters, notice that the Whelk is a 1/1 and not a 0/0. Also, the challenge asked for mana value 4 or greater, but this has a mana value of 2, as X is considered zero to calculate the mana value.
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Soulkeeper
Creature — Spirit (R)
Flash
When Soulkeeper enters the battlefield, you may exile up to one target creature you control or a creature card in your graveyard. When Soulkeeper dies, return that creature to the battlefield tapped.
2/4
I like this card, and I really like how you managed to put together flickering and reanimation, on a creature that you want to die but that has 4 toughness, so it's not the easiest to kill with damage. It's probably better to build some kind of Aristocrats style deck so that you can sacrifice this at will. But after all, if you cast this as a surprise blocker, you want the high toughness. I know it was required by the challenge, but this would work even without flash. I also wonder if it could have a less restrictive mana cost.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Imposing Archon 3WW
Flash
Flying
When Imposing Archon enters the battlefield, if it's the combat phase, put a +1/+1 counter on Imposing Archon for each creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control, then end the combat phase.
3/3
Wait, why "end the combat phase"? So that I play this in my opponent's declare attackers step, I put the +1/+1 counters on it, and then I don't even get to block with it? Ok, I will have a relevant attacker in the air on my turn, but I'm not the biggest fan of this. My inner Timmy would like to be able to block with this, even if it might require an increase in the mana cost. My inner Spike would probably be fine just casting this during my opponent's end step and get the 3/3 flyer, or casting it as a Fog that leaves a creature behind.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Creature - Dragon {M}
Flash
Flying, trample
When Magescorcher Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target opponent and each creature that player controls for each noncreature spell that player has cast this turn.
5/5
The text is a bit convoluted and I had to read it twice to get it. Essentially, you want to cast this in response to your opponent casting multiple noncreature spells on a single turn. But then, when it happens, will you have seven mana available? It might be just me, but if I have seven mana available and I'm ahead, I want to be proactive and close the game, while if I'm behind I want to just cast this as a big creature to get back in the game. Again, a proactive move. I just can't see myself leaving seven mana open unless I'm just flooded. Anyway, this is perfectly in your favorite color (I can guess what it is... :) ) and it does feel like a mythic to me.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Runesnatcher Clique 3UU
Flash
Flying
When Runesnatcher Clique enters the battlefield, gain control of target spell. If you do, you may choose new targets for it, then that spell's owner gains control of Runesnatcher Clique. (A copy of a permanent spell becomes a token.)
3/3
I think this would be much cleaner using the word "exchange". After all it's what it does, you exchange control of it and target spell, choosing new targets. Also, the reminder text is correct, but why does it reference copies where no copies are created? You gain control of the spell, you don't copy it. This does feel like a Lorwyn Faerie though, even if I'm not a big fan of it.
Flatline wrote:
2 years ago
Volatile Force 3r
Creature — Elemental (U)
Flash
When Volatile Force dies, it deals 2 damage to each creature that was dealt damage this turn.
3/1
A surprise blocker that can easily die, and you want it to die, probably killing the attacker it blocks (3 power plus the two damage on dies are certainly enough to kill a lot of creatures) plus possibly other creatures too. I like this, and I have nothing bad to say about it. I also appreciate that this is the only card that has flavor text in my bracket.
Top 3
1st place: Flatline
2nd place: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd place: Venedrex
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Feels like this is pushing in a lot of different directions. It's asking you not to play creatures, but also to play a lot of auras and equipment? And flash feels a bit tacked on.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
This feels like a card that is close to working, but didn't quite get there. Not sure why it needs the mana value restriction on the ETB ability, and also feel like the death trigger could have been a self-sacrifice ability instead -- as is, you pretty much need a different sacrifice outlet to make it work.
dangerousdice
Show
Hide
Interesting card, but a bit of a flavor miss for me - we've never had a soltari without shadow, so it feels strange to deliberately pick that creature type. Definitely cool ability though.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
I think this might be a bit undercosted/overstatted, but it's definitely a fun, simple card that feels very GW and also like it should have been done already.
JessWill
Show
Hide
A couple problems here, but the biggest is that it doesn't meet the challenge, sorry.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Kinda like addendum on a creature, huh? I like it a lot -- simple and effective, but not overpowered. You should be able to get a 2-for-1 either way, but hard to do any better than that.
Flatline
Show
Hide
A bit of a theme with your R1 entry, huh? ;) Another simple, fun card that could set up some great combats if used properly. Very spikey.
T3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Flatline
3. bravelion83
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Top 3:

1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Slimytrout
3. bravelion83
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii: I like the basicness of the card and the options it presents, although the name doesn't feel like it quite matches the card's modest power.

JessWill: Not a 4 mana value creature.

bravelion83: Solid card that would see play in a fair number of selesnya decks, but is far from overpowered. Might be okay with more toughness at that cost.

dangerousdice: That flavor text is super exciting and loud! The card itself is pretty good and is decently powerful.

MonoRedMage: Punisher cards for storm decks are quite fascinating, and the cost is appropriate for what the card can do to your opponents.

RaikouRider: I think the card is a bit too undercosted for what it does. It likely takes multiple readings to figure out the text after gaining control of the spell.

Flatline: A solidly nice finisher to burn spells or combat.

Top 3:

3rd: dangerousdice
2nd: Flatline
1st: MonoRedMage
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Top 3 -
1. slimytrout
2. Ink-Treader
3. dangerousdice

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
RaikouRider - I think this should just exchange control of itself with a spell. That would read a lot cleaner. Pretty fun card though. Especially with Unsummon effects.

MonoRedMage - This is an expensive beast. It seems like a lot of mana if the ETB ability doesn't trigger. Maybe even if it does.

Ink-Treader - Now this is Fog. It prevents all damage, then swings back for a bunch. This also works to counter spells, right? I'm not so sure how I feel about that in mono-white. Could be cool though.

Venedrex - Ooh! Instant reanimator seems fun. The other part is less fun. Especially if your opponent kills Soulkeeper in response to the trigger. I like the card overall though.

slimytrout - This card is pretty cool. It's really a great recovery card considering it both draws you card, and gives you extra mana to play those cards. Great flavor too.

netn10 - The flash on this seems mostly tacked on since it doesn't really interact with any of the card's other abilities. Other than that, it seems like a fine legend.

marioguy3 - The mana value part of the first effect is misworded and confusing. I would drop it altogether. The second part seems like it wouldn't be very useful outside of sacrifice decks. I would drop that too. With both those things gone, it's a fine UC.
Top 3
Show
Hide
Top 3
1 - slimytrout
2 - Venedrex
3 - Ink-Treader
Last edited by Flatline 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
2 years ago
Volatile Force 3r
Creature — Elemental (U)
Flash
3/1
Nice combat trick or follow up to mass burn. Would have to think hard avout how to use this
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Runesnatcher Clique 3UU
Flash
Flying
3/3
Pretty nice, kinda like Gilded Drake + Perplexing Chimera. 3/3 flying is pretty good so maybe this could cost less
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Creature - Dragon {M}
Flash
Flying, trample
5/5
Obviously really strong even after 1 noncreature spell, not sure how well itd work as a storm deck hoser tho
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Imposing Archon 3WW
Flash
Flying
3/3
This looks nice, Mandate of Peace's big brother lol. Could be be a big blowout
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Soulkeeper
Creature — Spirit (R)
Flash
2/4
Whoa this is an elegant design. I like all the possibile uses
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Corpse Plunderer 3UB
Creature - Human Pirate (R)
Flash
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a Treasure token and draw a card.
"Shame to let this stuff go to waste..."
3/3
Super flavorful and effective, love it a lot
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Slira, the Storm Perfected 1WUR
Legendary Creature - Djinn Monk (Mythic)
Flash
Flying, prowess
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, scry 1.
Whenever you cast an equipment or aura spell, draw a card.
2/4
Interesting play but flavor wise idk why the jeskai would specifically care about auras/equip
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 Venedrex
3 RaikouRider
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

T3 only sorry

1) Venedrex
2) bravelion83
3) Flatline

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And here are your top... well... 9 contestants, with a tie for eighth place:

slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
Flatline
bravelion83
Venedrex
Ink-Treader
dangerousdice
netn10
RaikouRider

Next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”