Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL May Signups/Round 1

"Speed of Lightning"

Thunderbolt, taken from deviantart, by Anthony Francisco and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Instant Month here in the CCL - this month will be all about various things done at instant speed.

Challenge
Design an instant card that can deal damage.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card must be the source of the damage.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Friday, May 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 30th-May 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due May 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 29th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

bloodmage's spite
instant — (u)
bloodmage's spite costs to cast if a creature an opponents control dealt damage to you this turn.
bloodmage's spite deals 3 damage to any target. if a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Phantom Spark 1R
Instant (U)
Phantom Spark deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of face up instant or sorcery cards you own in exile plus 1.
Flashback 3R
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Zero Safety R
Instant (Rare)
1R, Reveal Zero Safety from your hand: Each creature loses shroud, hexproof, protection and ward until end of turn.
Zero Safety deals 3 damage to target creature.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Sting of Mortality
Instant — (U)
Sting of Mortality deals X damage to any target and you gain X life, where X is equal to the number of creatures that have died this turn.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Lightning Vortex 2R
Instant {U}
Excess damage that would be dealt to a creature this turn is dealt to that creature's controller instead. Then Lightning Vortex deals 3 damage to any target.

JessWill
Bad %$#% gamer
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JessWill » 2 years ago

Solar Flare 2R
Instant (C)
Solar Flare deals 3 damage to any target.
Rush R (If you cast this card from exile, you may cast it for its Rush cost.)

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Burning Leaves XG
Instant (U)
Kicker 1R (You may pay an additional 1R as you cast this spell.)
Burning Leaves deals X damage to target creature with flying. If this spell was kicked, it also deals X damage to that creature's controller.
"The sharp leaves cut everything that dares flying among them, and then the fire finishes the job."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Defensive Volley 1W
Instant (U)
Defensive Volley deals 4 damage to target attacking creature.
Overload 3WW (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

Warm Welcome 2r
Instant (U)
Warm Welcome deals 3 damage to each creature that entered the battlefield this turn.
"Make sure our visitors are given a proper greeting."
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Staggering Loss 2BB
Instant (Uncommon)
Target opponent sacrifices a creature and an enchantment. Staggering Loss deals 2 damage to that player for each permanent fewer than two sacrificed in this way.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Golem Cat Power Strike
Instant (Uncommon)
Golem Cat Power Strike deals 3 damage to any target. If you control a Golem Cat, this card deals its damage as though it had infect (This card deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters)
Version X of the Golem Cats have proven to be more hostile to their friends and enemies than previous versions.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Radiant Eruption 5RR
Instant {R}
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice two basic Mountains.
Choose one -
• Radiant Eruption deals 8 damage to any target.
• Exile the top four cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

And the round is closed. Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

dangerousdice
Ink-Treader
netn10
Venedrex
RaikouRider
JessWill
bravelion83
slimytrout
Flatline
kwanyeegor-ii
marioguy3
MonoRedMage

Round 2 to come soon.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Defensive Volley 1W
Instant (U)
Defensive Volley deals 4 damage to target attacking creature.
Overload 3WW (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")
Very nice use of overload out of Izzet, I think we've seen overload in black in the first Modern Horizons but I can't remember it in white. This is very original and printable as is in my opinion. Too bad for the lack of flavor text, it would have fitted for sure on this card.
Flatline wrote:
2 years ago
Warm Welcome 2r
Instant (U)
Warm Welcome deals 3 damage to each creature that entered the battlefield this turn.
"Make sure our visitors are given a proper greeting."
This made me actually laugh, thank you. A fiery welcome you could say. I'm sure the visitors of this place are treated very well! I wouldn't be one, but it's just me! Seriously, I like this card and I can't say anything bad about it. It's in color, right rarity, and amazing flavor. Good work.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Staggering Loss 2BB
Instant (Uncommon)
Target opponent sacrifices a creature and an enchantment. Staggering Loss deals 2 damage to that player for each permanent fewer than two sacrificed in this way.
I'm not a big fan of "each permanent fewer than two" but the intent is clear. This card is fine. It doesn't excite me, but it's just me, everything's fine here and I can't say anything bad about this either. I would have liked to see some flavor text.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Golem Cat Power Strike
Instant (Uncommon)
Golem Cat Power Strike deals 3 damage to any target. If you control a Golem Cat, this card deals its damage as though it had infect (This card deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters)
Version X of the Golem Cats have proven to be more hostile to their friends and enemies than previous versions.
My first thought: "is this Ikoria?" I don't think we'd see Golem Cats anywhere but there. The flavor text also makes them sound too modern for my taste. I'm also not a fan of the card name, "Power Strike" feels too excited to me, like if this were taken straight out of a comic or something like that. The effect is fine, I do like that, provided that you can control a Golem Cat in the set. I see this as a good idea but the execution could have probably been better.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Radiant Eruption 5RR
Instant {R}
Choose one -
• Exile the top four cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.
This is fine, a big spell with a high mana cost. I'm personally not a huge fan of this kind of cards but they certainly have their place in Magic, and there will be plenty of other Timmies that will be very excited by this card. My own Spike aggro part prevails here and I'd say I like to win before a seven-mana spell becomes relevant. If it does, it's probably the end of the game, but it's what a seven-mana spell should do. But then, if you can deal enough damage to close up the game probably, is impulsive draw relevant if you have already won? I think the first mode will almost always be chosen.
dangerousdice wrote:
2 years ago
bloodmage's spite
instant — (u)
bloodmage's spite costs to cast if a creature an opponents control dealt damage to you this turn.
bloodmage's spite deals 3 damage to any target. if a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.
The card is fine, but there are a lot of quality mistakes, from missing capitalization to extra em dashes. I personally like to see well formatted cards not just in the MCC but everywhere. The card is a twist on Lightning Bolt, not the first one we've seen in real Magic, and I can't say anything bad about the effect. It's just formatted very badly.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Phantom Spark 1R
Instant (U)
Phantom Spark deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of face up instant or sorcery cards you own in exile plus 1.
Flashback 3R
Another fine card. I don't think it will do too much damage on average, but I like the effect. Flashback is not evergreen, so it needs reminder text. I would have liked to see some flavor text.

Top 3

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: Flatline
3rd place: Ink-Treader
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Solid removal with nice utility as an alternative option. Interesting that it doesn't remove indestructible, but I think I prefer it that way. You can tank it, but you can't hide from it.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Likely would see play as a finisher for sac based decks, with the flexibility to be removal. Might be a little undercosted.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
That's a nasty little surprise. Can turn a round of combat on its head quite easily.
JessWill
Show
Hide
I don't think that Rush should be a keyworded mechanic, considering how narrow it is to utilize, namely with red's impulsive draw. It would be pretty cool to have unkeyworded on a vertical cycle though. That aside, this is an interesting way to offer a Lightning Bolt.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Clan Defiance is the obvious comparison. This of course has the advantage of being usable in monogreen, but I suspect most everyone would want to have red on hand to get that kicker. Of course, if your opponent has no fliers, then you have a problem.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Seems fine all around. Not super flashy, but certainly effective.
Flatline
Show
Hide
Certainly amusing. Seems like a fine little surprise. Part of me wants it to be an X spell so it can scale better and not feel dead.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. JessWill
2. netn10
3. slimytrout

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

MonoRedMage: I don't think the "basic" part of sacrificing basic lands are needed on this card. I think it's a decent card, but it is quite expensive for what it does, especially needing lands to sacrifice making the second ability less reliable.

dangerousdice: I'm not sure you weren't trying to say "2 less" to play so it's definitely a unique design if not that way. I do like the overall design of the card starting at base three mana though. The name is also quite good.

Ink-Treader: The "face-up" portion of the card is unnecessary because there have been cards that count instant and sorceries in exile and none say "face-up." It's a card that could probably use flavor text, and it would probably fit. The card itself is pretty neat design wise overall; the flashback aspect to it is really good.

netn10: Zero Safety does not get rid of indestructible until end of turn… not a net negative, but something to point out. I love how this doesn't say "each creature you don't control." I find that balance, despite red not having many of those type of creatures with those abilities. The card is really strong at one mana instant despite not hitting walkers or players. I also like the name.

Venedrex: Another uncommon card that could probably use flavor text. On this note, the card itself can be really, really good especially because it counts tokens and creatures you don't control. I do think it could stand to be either more expensive or only hitting creatures and planeswalkers at that one mana instant cost because of it's power potential. I would love a two or three mana version that had cycling though.

RaikouRider: Cool card at what I think is a decent cost. I like how the card is uncommon rather than common due to the slight complexity of the first part of the card. I might expect something more epic out of the name, but the card itself works and chains with other cards.

JessWill: I'm not sure what to think of the card's rush ability. I presume it would be restricted to being affected allowing players to cast spells from exile? It does seem underwhelming a little bit, although at least it is fitting for the common rarity. Given the prevalence of how red does impulse draw, it could work; this is another card that could have been given flavor text to really stand out and show what rush can do in-story.

Top 3:
3rd: RaikouRider
2nd: Ink-Treader
1st: netn10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Golem Cat Power Strike
Instant (Uncommon)
Not sure I get the flavor and it seems really narrow. Infect for changelings only?
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Radiant Eruption 5RR
Instant {R}
Choose one -
Definitely a game ender either way. I would like to have thius in limited
dangerousdice wrote:
2 years ago
bloodmage's spite
instant — (u)
Very nice simple design. Flavor is great
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Phantom Spark 1R
Instant (U)
Flashback 3R
I like this but u gotta go all in on flashback to make it worth while lol
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Zero Safety R
Instant (Rare)
1R, Reveal Zero Safety from your hand: Each creature loses shroud, hexproof, protection and ward until end of turn.
Zero Safety deals 3 damage to target creature.
Looks like a cool effective hoser. It seems too obvious though
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Sting of Mortality
Instant — (U)
Sting of Mortality deals X damage to any target and you gain X life, where X is equal to the number of creatures that have died this turn.
Great thing to cast after your opponent wraths lol. Or post combat. Great black design
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Lightning Vortex 2R
Instant {U}
Excess damage that would be dealt to a creature this turn is dealt to that creature's controller instead. Then Lightning Vortex deals 3 damage to any target.
I really like this, grant trample to all your spells. Could be undercosted tho
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 RaikouRider
2 dangerousdice
3 Venedrex
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Flatline
Show
Hide
Fun "symmetric" effect that only gets really good if your opponent is doing crazy stuff. Probably could even be costed a little more aggressively, but I still like it.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Not a bad effect, but a bit clunky. Also feel like black is back to life loss rather than damage now, after R&D's brief experiment.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Don't get the flavor, which in this case means I don't really get the card itself, 'cuz without the flavor it's just BR for a Lightning Bolt.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Seven mana plus two mountains is a *lot* for part of a Showdown of the Skalds. Even for 8 damage, it's still pretty steep.
dangerousdice
Show
Hide
Not sure why it's phrased as an alternative cost (or, rather, something like an alternative cost) rather than just a discount (R less to cast) which is what we usually see. Decent effect otherwise though.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
A bit reminiscent of Beacon Bolt but a lot more all in on Flashback/Jump-Start/Rebound/etc. shenanigans. Fun.
netn10
Show
Hide
I wish a bit more of the power was in the activated ability. As is, it's just soooo efficient as a 1 mana Scorching Dragonfire that I feel like the activated ability gets a bit lost. Still, cool idea.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Flatline
2. Ink-Treader
3. netn10
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Top 3:

1. Slimytrout
2. Ink-Treader
3. bravelion83
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Top 3 -
1. netn10
2. dangerousdice
3. bravelion83

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii - A pretty decent and interesting card. It's at it's best when it hits two permanents, of course.

marioguy3 - A very odd, niche card.

MonoRedMage - That's a lot of damage for a lot of mana. I'm not sure this finds a home anywhere though. The damage part seems better than the other part.

dangerousdice - A nice Bolt variant. It might be my favorite card in my bracket if it weren't for all the formatting errors. A complete lack of caps being one of them.

Ink-Treader - This is fine, but a little too all-in-flashback for me.

netn10 - I've seen this type of effect before and it always comes off clunky. I fine card though I suppose. 3 damage for one at instant speed is nothing to scoff at.

Venedrex - I like this for Aristocrats. Might even be a bit busted there at 1 MV.
Top 3
Show
Hide
Top 3:
1 - Venedrex
2 - kwanyeegor-ii
3 - dangerousdice
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

T3 only sorry

1) kwanyeegor-ii
2) bravelion83
3) Flatline

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”