Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL April Top 6/Round 3

"The Heroes Arrive"

Firja, Judge of Valor, taken from Art of MTG, by Livia Prima and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythology Month here in the CCL - we'll be crafting our own myths and legends.

Challenge
Design two legendary creature or planeswalker cards. One must have the same color identity as your first round card and represent someone who summoned that creature. The other must have the same color identity as your second round card and represent someone involved in that Saga.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Saturday, April 24th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@Venedrex
@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Ink-Treader
@Henlock

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 31st-April 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 12th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 20th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (April 21st–24th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due April 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 2nd)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Round 1
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Cymede, Betrayed by Love 2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (U)
Cymede's power is equal to your devotion to red and white. (Each R and/or W in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to red and white.)
If your devotion to red and white is seven or more, Cymede has first strike, vigilance, and trample.
She doesn't know her love is whispering her name. She can't hear him.
*/3
Anax, Reunited to Love RRWW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (R)
Anax, Reunited to Love's power is equal to your devotion to red and his toughness is equal to your devotion to white.
Haste
When Anax enters the battlefield, you can return a creature with mana value 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
He obsessively whispered her name, but she couldn't hear him. One day she returned, and they were finally together again.
*/*
Round 2
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Imprisoning the Worldsoul 2WB
Enchantment — Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Exile target creature with power 4 or greater an opponents control.
II — You gain life equal to the exiled card's power.
III — Put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control with an indestructible counter on it. It gains haste.
Note
Show
Hide
For those few that have my first story (I have started just yesterday writing the second in the series), this Saga represents a key moment from there. If you have read it, you should know what it means.
notes
Show
Hide
In my story, the one who imprisons the worldsoul of the plane the story is set on is that story's main antagonist, who I can't use here because he has a different color identity (black-red, Imprison the Worldsoul was white-black). I can't do a mono black version of him, because this card needs a white-black color identity, and I can't just casually put white in him. He's not even remotely white as a character in my story. I can't make the worldsoul itself either, as it's all five colors, and its color identity is also tied to my story, I can't just change it. I will have to make something that totally diverges from my story. On one side that's good, because I didn't want it to go public yet. On the other, it's a very difficult challenge, because I have to create something entirely different. Oh well, as the saying goes, I've walked in this trap because I laid it, involving my story in the first place.
Norakov, Kidnapper of Worlds XWB
Legendary Creature — Spirit Warlock (R)
Norakov, Kidnapper of Worlds enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Norakov enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature with power equal to or less than Norakov's power.
His compulsion on taking control of the world through kidnapping the worldsoul itself has already cost him his life once. He's not scared to try it again.
0/0
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Pharika, the Witherer 2BG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (M)
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to black and green is less than seven, Pharika isn't a creature.
Whenever a creature you control deals damage to a creature you don't control, put a -1/-1 counter on the creature you don't control.
5/6

Ral Zarek, Maze-Runner 1UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Ral (M)
+1: Up to one target creature gains haste and gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each spell you've cast this turn.
-1: Tap target creature. Ral Zarek, Maze-Runner deals 1 damage to it and one damage to its controller.
-6: Untap all permanents you control. If it's your main phase, there's an additional combat phase after this phase.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Holder

Ob Nixilis, Worldbane 4BBB
Legendary Planeswalker - Nixilis (M)
When Ob Nixilis enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices each creature they control. Then put a loyalty counter on Ob Nixilis for each nontoken creature you control sacrificed this way.
+1: Each opponent loses 3 life unless they discard a card. When a land card is discarded this way, put a loyalty counter on Ob Nixilis.
-2: Destroy target creature, enchantment, or planeswalker an opponent controls.
-XX: Create X 5/5 black Demon creature tokens with flying and trample.

Shelesce, the West Wind 1UG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Spirit (R)
Flying, ward 2
Whenever Shelesce, the West Wind deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
If you would draw a card, you may instead put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.
"I am that which soothes and refreshes."
2/2
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Elspeth, Prisoner of Phyrexia
Legendary Creature — Human (M)
: You gain 2 life, then if you have ten or more life than your starting life total, exile Elspeth, Prisoner of Phyrexia, then return her to the battlefield transformed under her owner's control.
0/2

////////////////////////////////////

(W) Elspeth, Devoted Squire
Planeswalker — Elspeth (M)
+1 Untap target creature you control.
-3 Destroy target creature an opponent controls with power greater less than or equal to the amount of life you have more than your starting life total.
-9 You get an emblem with: "Whenever you cast a spell, create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance."
{5}

Urza, Invasion Strategist
Legendary Planeswalker — Urza (M)
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, scry 2.
+1: Create a 2/2 colorless Construct artifact creature token.
-4 Exile target artifact or creature an opponent controls with mana value 4 or less, then return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your upkeep.
-8: You get an emblem with: "At the beginning of your upkeep, create a copy of each artifact you control."
{6}
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Round 2 Saga:

Lupa Mater 1gg
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Wolf (r)
1/1 creatures you control have indestructible.
, : Another target creature you control has base power and toughness 1/1 this turn.
2/2

Invoker of Round 1 Avatar:

Marvisian, Scholar of Amulets 2ww
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (r)
Flash
As Marvisian, Scholar of Amulets enters the battlefield, name a card.
Artifacts and creatures you control have protection from the chosen card.
2/4

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Raboclus, Dreamer of Masterpieces 1UU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (Mythic)
The "legend rule" doesn't apply to legendary artifacts you control.
Raboclus has all abilities of legendary artifacts you control.
6UU: Create a token that's a copy of target artifact.
2/2

Pnimea, Setessan Gamekeeper G
Legendary Creature - Human Scout (Rare)
If Pnimea would be dealt noncombat damage, if it's your turn, prevent that damage and draw a card.
1G: Untap target attacking creature.
3G: Target attacking creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will do it - please critique and top 3 everyone else.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Judgment complete. There was quite a lot to like here.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Elspeth: Gives a surprising amount of life, but that flip condition can be quite challenging, more challenging than most of the original flip walkers. I think the +1 on the flip side could give a small additional bonus, perhaps that same 2 life again (also, should be "up to one target" so that you can't be barred from +1ing. Fits the Round 1 creature well enough (though Elspeth did spend an awful lot of time running away...)
Urza: I don't think anyone would balk at this feeling underpowered for Urza. It's quite strong, and gets to that very potent ultimate pretty quickly. I wonder if the -4 could cost 1 less, but considering the amount of power already here, it's probably best left alone.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Pharika: Simple, but fitting. I do wonder if she could cost 1 less (with a similar tweak to P/T) Unusual for the Persephone reference to be associated with Pharika, but it's not as though Theros is that heavily constrained by Greek Myth.
Ral: Most certainly a flavor fit. Seems fairly potent. I like the subtle difference between the ultimate and most extra combat effects, in that it untaps permanents instead of just creatures.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Anax: The floor on this is at least alright. A hasty 2/2 that brings back a friend. not quite as potentially exciting as Cymede, since she went all in on power. Good fit with the Round 1 card, of course.
Norakov: Honestly, this probably could squeeze into uncommon without much fuss. I'd like this more if it was least 1/1 at base. Seems to fit the Round 2 card well though.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Raboclus: Very fun card. Probably capable of something very degenerate since it gets all abilities, instead of just activated abilities. Certainly fits with the Round 1 card. (Now if only there was a convenient way to turn him into a noncreature artifact Equipment for extra fun...)
Pnimea: A nice package of utility. Fits the Round 2 card as well. Not much more to add.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Marvisian: Nice defensive card. Wish it could also protect the player, but that would probably be a bit much. Shares a nice theming with the Round 1 card.
Lupa: The 1/1 queen. Seems like a natural choice of your options with the Round 2 card. Certainly would be interesting to build around such a powerful keyword.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Henlock
3. Venedrex

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Explanation
Show
Hide
The most important thing to me this round is to see a connection between your cards from earlier rounds and ones from this one. The stronger the connection, the higher my score will be. This is the reason why I went back and quoted everybody's cards from rounds 1 and 2, to see them as I write my critiques. I know it's hard, because if you've read my notes you should know that I went to great lengths to do it myself, and now I honestly think I may have struggled too hard to do it, in fact I've significantly changed my cards' rules text at the last minute if you've noticed, I wasn't satisfied with them as they were. Now it's better, but if I must be honest I'm still not fully satisfied with my submission, and I expect to go out this round, but I haven't been able to do better. As I've already said, I've laid this trap and then walked right into it myself, so it's right. But now let's see if and how you all did it! As a twist for this round, and for the reasons I've just talked about, I'll give you points based on the connections I found between this round's cards and your previous rounds' ones. My top 3 will then be based on these points. Let's go!
Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Korei, Changed by the Seasons 1BG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod (U)
Korei's power is equal to your devotion to black and green. (Each and/or in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to black and green.)
When Korei dies, return it to the battlefield under target opponent's control. If that player doesn't own Korei, lands they control don't untap during their next untap step.
*/2
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to black and green is less than seven, Pharika isn't a creature.
Whenever a creature you control deals damage to a creature you don't control, put a -1/-1 counter on the creature you don't control.
5/6
Round 2
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
The Implicit Maze 1UR
Enchantment - Saga (U)
I, II - Investigate (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
III - The Implicit Maze deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards you've drawn this turn.
+1: Up to one target creature gains haste and gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each spell you've cast this turn.
-1: Tap target creature. Ral Zarek, Maze-Runner deals 1 damage to it and one damage to its controller.
-6: Untap all permanents you control. If it's your main phase, there's an additional combat phase after this phase.
Pharika — The first two abilities are normal business for a Theros god. The last one makes sense with the name and her general flavor. A fine card in a vacuum, but I see no real connection to Korei.

Ral — Now here's a connection! He runs the Maze, that's a flavorful connection. Unfortunately, I don't see a mechanical one. The abilities are all fine and the character feels like him, maybe there is a bit more red in this card then blue, but that's just a minor thing.

Connection points: 1 (flavor: Ral running the Maze).

Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar Horror (R)
Protection from nonlands
B: Avatar of Blight gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Avatar of Blight attacks, the defending player may pay XX. When they do, they may untap X target lands they control. Those lands become 3/3 Elemental creatures until end of combat. They're still lands.
Nature seethes in its presence.
3/3
When Ob Nixilis enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices each creature they control. Then put a loyalty counter on Ob Nixilis for each nontoken creature you control sacrificed this way.
+1: Each opponent loses 3 life unless they discard a card. When a land card is discarded this way, put a loyalty counter on Ob Nixilis.
Round 2
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
The West Wind's Travels GU
Enchantment — Saga (U)
I — Untap target permanent and you gain 2 life.
II — Put target card in your graveyard not named The West Wind's Travels on top of your library.
III — You may put a Saga card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't, draw a card.
Flying, ward 2
If you would draw a card, you may instead put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.
2/2
Ob Nixilis — So it's like a Wrath that I want to kill my creatures with? Honestly, it's not my preferred style but it makes sense in black. I've found a connection in the +1: "loses 3 life" and the lands become 3/3, so it's like one of their lands hit them back. Lands are also referenced in that ability. Good. Now, the -2 is my style! No connections but I like it, and neither in the last ability. I also see no flavor reason why that Avatar is cast by Ob Nixilis. If I recall correctly, his spark ignited when his home plane has been destroyed and he was the only survivor. Maybe that Avatar is supposed to be the entity that destroyed his plane? No, I'm probably looking for a connection that just isn't there.

Shelesce — Personally, I like hexproof much more than ward, but that's just me. Flavor connection, very good. This is what I'm looking for. Mechanically it's fine, even if I think that green could put the card from your graveyard directly into your hand. I don't really like tutors that put the card on top instead than in my hand. But compared to drawing a card, it would have probably been too strong, like drawing a specific card, so maybe it's better this way. It's interesting seeing curiosity and the replacement effect tied with each other. Wait, it's a connection! I've just realized it! The II in the Saga is exactly the replacement effect from Shelesce. Good. That's why the card went on top, now I've got it.

Connection points: 3 (mechanics: Ob's +1, Shelesce with the saga's II; flavor: Shelesce's and the Saga's names).

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Creature — Avatar (R)
Vigilance
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, exile that creature with 3 time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)
5/5
: You gain 2 life, then if you have ten or more life than your starting life total, exile Elspeth, Prisoner of Phyrexia, then return her to the battlefield transformed under her owner's control.
0/2

//

Elspeth, Devoted Squire
(W) Planeswalker — Elspeth (M)
-3 Destroy target creature an opponent controls with power greater less than or equal to the amount of life you have more than your starting life total.
-9 You get an emblem with: "Whenever you cast a spell, create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance."
{5}
Round 2
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Assembling the Nine Titans
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I, III — Search your library for up to three planeswalker cards with different names, reveal them and put them into your hand, then shuffle.
IV — Create nine 5/5 colorless Construct artifact creature tokens with defender and: "Tap an untapped planeswalker you control: This creature can attack this turn as though it didn't have defender."
-4 Exile target artifact or creature an opponent controls with mana value 4 or less, then return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your upkeep.
-8: You get an emblem with: "At the beginning of your upkeep, create a copy of each artifact you control."
{6}
Elspeth — We know that Elspeth comes from a plane that has been compleated by the Phyrexians even though we've never been there so far. This Elspeth is clearly the one from that plane when her spark ignited. Did her spark really ignite if or when she was made prisoner by the Phyrexians on her home plane? *checks Wiki* Wow, yes, she did! She actually spent her whole childhood prisoner of the Phyrexians. Not a connection, but it's very good flavor, almost worth a connection point all by itself! I'll give you a half point for that, it's a connection but to her origin story, not to your round 1 card. I see no connections to the Avatar, in neither flavor nor mechanics. The mechanics are fine by themselves. I had considered doing "greater than" in my own Norakov, but then I thought that it was too strong and went with "less to". I think the same thing applies here to the -3. If I have my starting life total (aka 0 life above that), I can destroy Emrakul (protection from spells does nothing because it's an ability).

Urza — As I said last round, this is from before my time, but I do know that Urza was one of the Nine. That's a flavor connection. Mechanically, I like how the +1 triggers the first ability, as does the -4 if you blink an artifact. The -8 does too if you write that those copies are tokens, as they should be. This card fits very well what I know of Urza as an artificer, but there are no connections to the Saga though. I'll give you another half point for the connection among all his abilities.

Connection points: 2 (0.5 for Elspeth's origin story, 1 because Urza is one of the Nine Titans, 0.5 for Urza's abilities that are connected to each other but not to the Saga)

Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Dassae, The Forbidden Word 1wwww
Legendary Creature - Avatar (m)
Flying
When Dassae. The Forbidden Word enters the battlefield, name a card.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player names a card.
Only cards named by Dessae can be cast.
2/6
Flash
2/4
Round 2
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Founding of the Ancient City wwg
Enchantment - Saga (m)
I- Create two white 1/1 Human creature tokens.
II- Create a green 2/2 Wolf creature token.
III-Search your library for a legendary land card and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle.
Lupa Mater 1gg
, : Another target creature you control has base power and toughness 1/1 this turn.
2/2
Marvisian — I didn't get a chance to critique Dassae, but that's for the best probably because I've just read it for the first time and I'll be honest: I'm not a huge fan of it. Marvisian is fine, not exciting to me either but still fine. A connection: both cards require you to name cards, one to allow you to play them, the other to get protection from them.

Lupa Mater — Wait! The ancient city from the Saga is Rome?!? I hadn't got that. And this card's name is even in Latin. If it's not supposed to be Rome, this is certainly a huge coincidence. Admittedly, too big to be a coincidence. I don't know how familiar everybody here is with the legend of the foundation of Rome, Romolo and Remo being raised by a wolf, which is referenced by a card in Theros block even though it's not a Greek myth but a Roman one. Now I understand the Saga. The two humans that I creates are Romolo and Remo. The Wolf II creates is the one that raised them, also represented by Lupa Mater, literally Mother Wolf. And this gives the 1/1 Humans from the Saga's I indestructible. Now this is the level of connection I was talking about! Amazing work! And thank you from a proud Italian guy. You made me proud with this card.

Connection points: 4 (flavor: the Saga represents the founding of Rome and Lupa Mater is the wolf that raised Romolo and Remo; mechanics: the Saga creates 1/1 tokens that get indestructible from Lupa Mater, it also creates a 2/2 Wolf and Lupa Mater is a Wolf too, both Dassae and Marvisian require you to name cards)

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar (Rare)
Avatar of Ingenuity has power and toughness each equal to the number of artifacts you control.
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may tap or untap target permanent.
Legendary artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
*/*
Raboclus, Dreamer of Masterpieces 1UU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (Mythic)
The "legend rule" doesn't apply to legendary artifacts you control.
Raboclus has all abilities of legendary artifacts you control.
6UU: Create a token that's a copy of target artifact.
2/2
Round 2
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Nylea's Chase 1G
Enchantment - Saga (Uncommon)
I - Target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
II - Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast this turn.
III - Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
Pnimea, Setessan Gamekeeper G
Legendary Creature - Human Scout (Rare)
If Pnimea would be dealt noncombat damage, if it's your turn, prevent that damage and draw a card.
1G: Untap target attacking creature.
3G: Target attacking creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
1/1
Raboclus — I find a mechanical connection between the Avatar, that makes your legendary artifacts cheaper, and Raboclus, that allows you to control multiples of them and creates token copies of them. It's not my style of card, but that's good for this round. I'm not a fan of the last ability costing eight mana. Also, somewhat of a flavorful connections between the Avatar of "Ingenuity" and the Dreamer of "Masterpieces". It's all about creativity.

Pnimea — I see various connections here: the Saga gives a creature haste and Pnimea gives +3/+3 to attacking creatures, and the creature that got haste can conveniently attack immediately. Also, the Saga has creatures fight and Pnimea can prevent the incoming damage from the fight because it's noncombat damage. Yeah, you know, fight is not combat. Flavorfully, Setessa and Nylea is also somewhat of a connection.

Connection points: 5 (mechanics: both the Avatar and Raboclus care about legendary artifacts, the Saga gives haste and Pnimea +3/+3 to attackers, the Saga prevents damage from the fight; flavor: "ingenuity" and "masterpieces", Nylea and Setessa)
Top 3
1st place: kwanyeegor-ii (5 connection points)
2nd place: Henlock (4 connection points)
3rd place: Ink-Treader (3 connection points)
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Top 3
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Ink-Treader
3. Henlock
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Anax is fun! Tough to cast but a lot of value and beef in the right deck. Norakov is a bit of a stretch in BW, both of which tend to get scaling creatures like this only on very rare occasions, but it's still a cool card.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
I like Ob Nixilis a lot! Only quibble is that it would probably be clearer on a real card to have -X as the cost for the final ability and then make half that many demons, rounded down. Shelesce would be an extremely annoying card in limited, and would probably be more fun (in that context, at least) as a powered-up Snapping Drake rather than a Wind Drake.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
The flavor on Elspeth is a home run, but the card itself is just too weak -- it's basically a blank on the front side, it's way harder than the other flip-walkers to get to the backside, and then once you do it's pretty mediocre. Urza, on the other hand, is a powerhouse, and appropriately so given players' expectations of an Urza 'walker. I think it would play in a fun way too.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Lupa Mater is a very fun and flavorful card! I don't quite get why she's an enchantment -- does the Roman plane have to copy Theros in having enchantment creatures? -- but the concept is great. Marvisian is also quite a nice trick that's situationally powerful but hardly busted (mostly because protection doesn't affect wraths).
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Raboclus would do some strange things, since he copies all abilities and not just activated ones. Seems like it would enable some really degenerate Paradox Engine shenanigans too. Pnimea is an odd card, since it seems to really want to be involved in fights, and yet would be incapable of taking down most creatures without serious buffs. Not sure I quite get the combo of enabling attacking while also caring about noncombat damage.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. Ink-Treader
3. bravelion83

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Round 1
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Cymede, Betrayed by Love 2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (U)
Cymede's power is equal to your devotion to red and white. (Each R and/or W in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to red and white.)
If your devotion to red and white is seven or more, Cymede has first strike, vigilance, and trample.
She doesn't know her love is whispering her name. She can't hear him.
*/3
Anax, Reunited to Love RRWW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (R)
Anax, Reunited to Love's power is equal to your devotion to red and his toughness is equal to your devotion to white.
Haste
When Anax enters the battlefield, you can return a creature with mana value 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
He obsessively whispered her name, but she couldn't hear him. One day she returned, and they were finally together again.
*/*
Round 2
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Imprisoning the Worldsoul 2WB
Enchantment — Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Exile target creature with power 4 or greater an opponents control.
II — You gain life equal to the exiled card's power.
III — Put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control with an indestructible counter on it. It gains haste.
Note
Show
Hide
For those few that have my first story (I have started just yesterday writing the second in the series), this Saga represents a key moment from there. If you have read it, you should know what it means.
notes
Show
Hide
In my story, the one who imprisons the worldsoul of the plane the story is set on is that story's main antagonist, who I can't use here because he has a different color identity (black-red, Imprison the Worldsoul was white-black). I can't do a mono black version of him, because this card needs a white-black color identity, and I can't just casually put white in him. He's not even remotely white as a character in my story. I can't make the worldsoul itself either, as it's all five colors, and its color identity is also tied to my story, I can't just change it. I will have to make something that totally diverges from my story. On one side that's good, because I didn't want it to go public yet. On the other, it's a very difficult challenge, because I have to create something entirely different. Oh well, as the saying goes, I've walked in this trap because I laid it, involving my story in the first place.
Norakov, Kidnapper of Worlds XWB
Legendary Creature — Spirit Warlock (R)
Norakov, Kidnapper of Worlds enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Norakov enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature with power equal to or less than Norakov's power.
His compulsion on taking control of the world through kidnapping the worldsoul itself has already cost him his life once. He's not scared to try it again.
0/0
Anax looks pretty cool. I like how he can boost his p/t with his etb. Norakov looks rly strong for Limited lol, still he's a nice simple legend
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Indestructible
5/6

Pharika's triggered ability looks kinda weak. But itd be good with pinging creatures. I love Rals' abilities, they all have both blue and red in them, and he feels super izzet
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Holder

Flying, ward 2
2/2
Both of these cards look so strong but fun. Ob is powerful even at high cmc. he can just activate the demon making ability right away so you'll probably win next turn since your opp will prob not have enough blockers. Shelesce lets you just recur stuff as much as you want, that's so powerful. But at least you have to give up card advantage
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
0/2

////////////////////////////////////

(W) Elspeth, Devoted Squire
Planeswalker — Elspeth (M)
{5}

{6}
Elspeths -3 is confusing. I think you meant less than the amount of life you have more than your starting life total. She seems too weak, her +1 is not good. Urza looks nice but is not really that white and is mostly just blue
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Round 2 Saga:

Lupa Mater 1gg
2/2

Invoker of Round 1 Avatar:

Flash
2/4
I wish Lupa mater could target creatures you don't control too. Just seems like a good white ability similar to Humility. Marvisan is interesting, maybe mostly a sideboard card
top 3
Show
Hide
1 ink-treader
2 slimytrout
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

just top, sorry

1. kwanyegor
2. slimytrout
3. Bravelion

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our top four -

Henlock
kwanyeegor-ii
Ink-Treader
slimytrout

Congrats to all! Round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”