Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL April Signups/Round 2

"First of the Stories"

Forging the Tyrite Sword, taken from Pinterest, by Kieran Yanner and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythology Month here in the CCL - we'll be crafting our own myths and legends.

Challenge
Design a Saga enchantment card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Sunday, April 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 31st-April 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 12th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 21st–24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 2nd)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Imprisoning the Worldsoul 2WB
Enchantment — Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Exile target creature with power 4 or greater an opponents control.
II — You gain life equal to the exiled card's power.
III — Put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control with an indestructible counter on it. It gains haste.
Note
Show
Hide
For those few that have my first story (I have started just yesterday writing the second in the series), this Saga represents a key moment from there. If you have read it, you should know what it means.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

The West Wind's Travels GU
Enchantment — Saga (U)
I — Untap target permanent and you gain 2 life.
II — Put target card in your graveyard not named The West Wind's Travels on top of your library.
III — You may put a Saga card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't, draw a card.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Nylea's Chase 1G
Enchantment - Saga (Uncommon)
I - Target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
II - Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast this turn.
III - Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

The Implicit Maze 1UR
Enchantment - Saga (U)
I, II - Investigate (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
III - The Implicit Maze deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards you've drawn this turn.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Assembling the Nine Titans
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I, III — Search your library for up to three planeswalker cards with different names, reveal them and put them into your hand, then shuffle.
IV — Create nine 5/5 colorless Construct artifact creature tokens with defender and: "Tap an untapped planeswalker you control: This creature can attack this turn as though it didn't have defender."
Last edited by Venedrex 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Kaervek's Rise to Power 2RR
Enchantment - Saga {U}
I, II - Each player discards a card at random, then draws a card. Kaervek's Rise to Power deals damage to each player equal to the converted mana cost of the card they discarded in this way.
III - You may cast target sorcery card in your graveyard without paying its mana cost.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Founding of the Ancient City wwg
Enchantment - Saga (m)
I- Create two white 1/1 Human creature tokens.
II- Create a green 2/2 Wolf creature token.
III-Search your library for a legendary land card and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

And the round is closed - please critique and top 3 all the other contestants. I'll be cutting to a top 6 after round 1 and 2 critiques.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment — Saga (U)
II — Put target card in your graveyard not named The West Wind's Travels on top of your library.
III — You may put a Saga card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't, draw a card.
Not my own style of play, but it makes sense. I and II are green, III is a blue bend, I actually think putting a Saga onto the battlefield from your hand would make more sense in white, but then drawing a card if you don't is certainly blue. And white could do it too, with the help of green for untapping lands. Maybe this should have been Bant colors? I don't know.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Nylea's Chase 1G
Enchantment - Saga (Uncommon)
I - Target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
II - Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast this turn.
III - Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
The three chapter abilities make sense each by itself, but I would have liked to see more of a connection among them. Clearly in color, and rarity also looks fine to me.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
The Implicit Maze 1UR
Enchantment - Saga (U)
I, II - Investigate (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
III - The Implicit Maze deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards you've drawn this turn.
Very flavorful way to use investigate on Ravnica. If Sagas and investigate had already existed, I would have easily seen this in RTR block. And you can also synchronize Clues to get the most damage with III. I think this is a serious candidate for my top 3.
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I, III — Search your library for up to three planeswalker cards with different names, reveal them and put them into your hand, then shuffle.
IV — Create nine 5/5 colorless Construct artifact creature tokens with defender and: "Tap an untapped planeswalker you control: This creature can attack this turn as though it didn't have defender."
I see what you did with the mana cost. Mana value is nine, and it's certainly not by chance. Nine are the Titans, even though don't ask me who those were. Were they planeswalkers? I think so, otherwise the mechanics here don't make sense for the flavor. I think two of the nine were Urza and Freyalise? I know it's a lore concept from the very early days of Magic, but it was way before I even knew what Magic is. The abilities are very splashy, maybe too much for my taste, but again, mana value is nine, they'd better be splashy! Tapping planeswalkers is also new design space.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment - Saga {U}
I, II - Each player discards a card at random, then draws a card. Kaervek's Rise to Power deals damage to each player equal to the converted mana cost of the card they discarded in this way.
III - You may cast target sorcery card in your graveyard without paying its mana cost.
Here's another name that I've heard but that I don't remember who it is: Kaervak. Also from before I started playing, even though I think not too much before original Ravnica. Maybe Onslaught? Oh well, let's check the card. I've never been a fan of random discard. It feels really bad to not have control over what you discard. At least if you happen to discard a sorcery, you can recover it with III, and for free. But what if you happened to discard something else? Actually, what if you don't have a sorcery at all in your graveyard when III triggers? Overall, I'm not really a fan of this card, I'm sorry.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment - Saga (m)
III-Search your library for a legendary land card and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle.
Ok, the colors and mana cost make sense with the abilities, but those are completely disconnected from one another. I like them but I would have liked to see a connection. I don't really have anything more to say. Wait! It's a mythic? I hadn't noticed it. I would have guessed uncommon actually. Maybe rare. Certainly not mythic. It doesn't feel mythic to me.
Top 3
1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd place: Venedrex
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
This is a fun bit of removal. Starts off inefficient (as Sagas do), but that third step is quite a finish. Feels a little bendy, but black does steal creatures on occasion. The flavor is pretty evocative as well.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Feels a little underwhelming, but it can at least hit for 3 on the final step on its own (assuming you got one more mana source out since casting it). Definitely a build-around type card. I wonder if it could be pushed to just costing UR.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Nice and simple chain of effects. Nothing overpowered here. At most, I wish the individual steps felt more related, but the flavor seems fine.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Well this is pretty weird. Doing nothing on step II is quite unusual, though considering the name of the card, I suspect there's definitely supposed to be a step II. This tutors a lot of cards either way, but for the cost, and with the staggering, I think it's fine. I think you should consider giving the tokens haste. It does look weird paired with defender, but considering how expensive this is, and how much waiting is involved, I don't think it'd be overpowered at all.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Step III is dangerous, considering the many big and splashy sorceries out there, but it should be, especially considering how painful Step I, II can be.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Founding of Rome eh? Compares to History of Benalia, but with a very different finisher.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. slimytrout

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

bravelion83 - Flavorful and interesting play dynamics but requiring your opponent to have a specific size creature for the whole card to work feels bad.

Ink-Treader - Neat, Saga-matters Saga! Feels oddly white, but the colors do work fine.

kwanyeegor-ii - I do like the Theros Sagas and the name is flavorful but the effects are a bit generic here.

slimytrout - Very cool. Great flavor reference and I love the internal synergies.

Venedrex - That's a deep cut! I'm assuming the first set of chapters is supposed to be I through III. The flavor is perfect but this feels too expensive to be usable.

Henlock - It took me a hot second to figure this out, but I love the reference to ancient Rome. This looks pushed powerwise but alright.

Top 3
1 - Ink-Treader
2 - slimytrout
3 - Venedrex

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Quick top 3, if I get a chance I'll do critiques.

1. slimytrout
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. bravelion83
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Imprisoning the Worldsoul 2WB
Enchantment — Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Exile target creature with power 4 or greater an opponents control.
II — You gain life equal to the exiled card's power.
III — Put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control with an indestructible counter on it. It gains haste.
Note
Show
Hide
For those few that have my first story (I have started just yesterday writing the second in the series), this Saga represents a key moment from there. If you have read it, you should know what it means.
This has plenty of flavor but I wish it didnt have to target a 4+ power creature
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment — Saga (U)
Kind of odd and idk what this is referencing. Almost feels like it should be rare. Unless its an uncommon signpost lol
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
The Implicit Maze 1UR
Enchantment - Saga (U)
Def wants you to draw a lot of cards huh? Pretty interesting, I like the Font of Mythos combo...
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment — Saga (M)
Invasion reference is perfect but I think this has too high of a mana cost
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment - Saga {U}
Pretty wild and risky, I like the gameplay potential though
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Enchantment - Saga (m)
I would play this so much if it was real
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 Henlock
2 slimytrout
3 bravelion83
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

And our top 6 -

Venedrex
slimytrout
bravelion83
kwanyeegor-ii
Ink-Treader
Henlock

Third round to come!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”