March CCL Round 4: Matter of Perspective

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL March Round 4/Top 4

"Matter of Perspective"

Banner based on Sedraxis Specter and Resounding Scream, by Wizards of the Coast, Cole Eastburn and Thomas M. Baxa, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Color Combinations Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be slowly increasing our horizons regarding mixes of the five colors of Magic.

Challenge
Design two permanent cards, one having tricolored mana cost and an activated ability with a cost including colored mana of one of those colors, and the second having monocolored mana cost and an activated ability with a cost containing three colors of mana mirroring the first card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • For instance, if you make permament card costing with an activated ability containing , the second card should have only in its mana cost and an ability with in cost.
  • The mana costs may include generic mana; likewise, activated abilities can include generic mana and other costs, like discarding a card and etc.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Thursday, April 1st, 12:00 EST.
Players:
@Henlock
@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@RaikouRider

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (March 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due March 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (March 20th–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 29th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 29th–1st April)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 6th)
  • Final (April, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Sigil-Granting Angel 2GWU
Creature — Angel (R)
Flying, vigilance
W: Another target creature gains exalted until end of turn. (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If a creature has multiple instances of exalted, each triggers separately.)
When Sigil-Granting Angel deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
3/3

Sigiled Knight 2W
Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
GWU: If exactly two creatures are attacking this turn, exalted abilities of permanents you control trigger for each of them. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only before combat.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Evarik, Garrison Lawmage 1URW
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (R)
Vigilance, haste
Battalion — Whenever Evarik, Garrison Lawmage and at least two other creatures attack, detain up to one target creature.
2W, T: Until end of turn, whenever damage would be dealt to an attacking creature, prevent 1 of that damage and untap that creature.
3/3

Guardian of the Scrolls 2W
Creature — Bird Monk (C)
Flying
1URW, T, Sacrifice Guardian of the Scrolls: Return target instant or sorcery card to your hand. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"Narset entrusted me with the most secret of our histories, and I will die before I allow them to be lost."
2/2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Ravenous Hellkite 4BRG
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flying, trample
Devour 2 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with twice that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
2R: Ravenous Hellkite gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each +1/+1 counter on it.
4/4

Goran, Rider of Nel Toth 2R
Legendary Creature - Viashino Shaman {R}
Goran, Rider of Nel Toth gets +3/+3 and has flying as long as you control another Dragon creature.
Whenever you sacrifice another creature you own, exile that card from your graveyard.
1BRG, Sacrifice Goran: Return all creature cards exiled with it to your hand.
2/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Shade of the Wastes 1wbg
Creature- Shade (r)
b: Put a +1/+1 counter on Shade of the Wastes.
When Shade of the Wastes dies, put its +1/+1 counters onto target creature you control.
3/3

Heir of Arashin 1w
Creature - Human (r)
1wbg: Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
Whenever another creature you control dies, put its +1/+1 counters on Heir of Arashin
2/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed!
Please provide critiques and top 3 for this round.

slimytrout

bravelion83
Show
Hide
I would like Sigil-Granting Angel more if it said "target creature you control without exalted gains exalted until end of turn." As is, all you need is one other creature to give this firebreathing, which feels less fun than if it needed a lot of other creatures. Sigiled Knight very much feels like it should have exalted itself, and also like it should either be stronger or be an uncommon. But overall a fun combination
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Really like Ravenous Hellkite -- fun little package, and appropriate at 7 mana and a high setup cost. The dragon bonus on Goran is a little too strong -- 3 mana 5/5 flyer is just too powerful, and 3-mana 2/2 is very mediocre and so fragile that it'll have a lot of trouble surviving to activate its own ability.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Both of these could have used flavor text, especially the Shade. Also, it's quite a coincidence if you designed these cards on the very same day that Spiteful Squad was previewed, but obviously it's possible. Either way, they don't satisfy the challenge (activated ability on Shade doesn't match color of Heir, even though it totally could have), hence why I'm not putting you in T3,
T2
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. bravelion83

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Oops, I had completely forgotten this. Sorry.
Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Evarik, Garrison Lawmage 1URW
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (R)
Vigilance, haste
Battalion — Whenever Evarik, Garrison Lawmage and at least two other creatures attack, detain up to one target creature.
2W, T: Until end of turn, whenever damage would be dealt to an attacking creature, prevent 1 of that damage and untap that creature.
3/3

Guardian of the Scrolls 2W
Creature — Bird Monk (C)
Flying
1URW, T, Sacrifice Guardian of the Scrolls: Return target instant or sorcery card to your hand. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"Narset entrusted me with the most secret of our histories, and I will die before I allow them to be lost."
2/2
I like Evarik a lot as a Boros card, not so much Jeskai. I don't see anything blue in him, and he also has a Boros keyword! The Guardian, at the contrary, feels very Jeskai, and that's a good thing. Returning instants and sorceries is blue and red, life gain white. The flavor is very good too. Overall, I feel like this is a very good submission, maybe not perfect but still very good.
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Ravenous Hellkite 4BRG
Creature - Dragon {R}
Flying, trample
Devour 2 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with twice that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
2R: Ravenous Hellkite gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each +1/+1 counter on it.
4/4

Goran, Rider of Nel Toth 2R
Legendary Creature - Viashino Shaman {R}
Goran, Rider of Nel Toth gets +3/+3 and has flying as long as you control another Dragon creature.
Whenever you sacrifice another creature you own, exile that card from your graveyard.
1BRG, Sacrifice Goran: Return all creature cards exiled with it to your hand.
2/2
I had thought about Jund too, and I've come very close to designing this Dragon myself. I have nothing bad to say about it, I'm not the biggest fan of devour, but it's not your fault, you just used the available tools. Goran... "another" Dragon creature? Goran is not a Dragon himself! It's a Viashino! Anyway, the rest of the card is good and as a Mel I appreciate the synergy between the triggered ability and the activated one, and between those abilities and devour on the other card. Goran recycles the creatures you sacrificed for devour, provided they are actual cards and not tokens. I don't think there is room for flavor text on either card. Too bad.
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Shade of the Wastes 1wbg
Creature- Shade (r)
b: Put a +1/+1 counter on Shade of the Wastes.
When Shade of the Wastes dies, put its +1/+1 counters onto target creature you control.
3/3

Heir of Arashin 1w
Creature - Human (r)
1wbg: Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
Whenever another creature you control dies, put its +1/+1 counters on Heir of Arashin
2/2
The Shade reminds me of modular. Usually Shades get the bonus only until end of turn. Here being a +1/+1 counter requires the activation cost to be higher in my opinion. The Heir: I don't think the activation cost would have all three colors if it weren't for the challenge. Actually, it could just have a monowhite color identity. I would have liked to see some flavor text on both cards, the room is there for sure. Missing period at the end by the way, and also missing space in the typeline of the Shade.
Top 3
1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: RaikouRider
3rd place: Henlock

EDIT: I missed that Henlock's submission doesn't pass the challenge.
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

bravelion83: Angel should probably specify a target creature without exalted; this effectively becomes a Shade for as long as it attacks alone. The knight is unique in that it lets two creatures share Exalted bonuses. The two cards have great cohesiveness too, which I like a lot.

slimytrout: So this is what happens when the two law guilds of Ravnica see on common ground? There's room for detain's reminder text; reminder text should only be omitted if it won't fit on the card. Guardian of the Scrolls should be an uncommon for power level. CMC is an obsolete term; mana value should be used now.

Henlock: Unfortunately, your submission does not meet the main challenge, as your Abzan-colored activated ability is not the same color as your mono-colored creature.

1) bravelion83
2) slimytrout
3) Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

sorry. No time for crits.

1. slimytrout
2 bravelion
3. raikouraider

slimytrout

@Lorn Asbord Schutta? Seems like we're done here.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Yes, it is high time to end this; slimytrout and bravelion advance.
The next round will come shortly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”