Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL April Signups/Round 1

"Immanent Divine"

Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea, taken from mtgarenapro, by Zack Stella and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mythology Month here in the CCL - we'll be crafting our own myths and legends.

Challenge
Design an Avatar or Demigod creature card.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Thursday, April 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 31st-April 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 30th)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Cymede, Betrayed by Love 2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (U)
Cymede's power is equal to your devotion to red and white. (Each R and/or W in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to red and white.)
If your devotion to red and white is seven or more, Cymede has first strike, vigilance, and trample.
She doesn't know her love is whispering her name. She can't hear him.
*/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Creature - Avatar {R}
If an opponent controls six or more nonbasic lands, this spell costs 6 less to cast.
Menace
All lands lose all abilities other than mana abilities.
If a land's ability would cause a player to add more than one mana, that ability adds no mana instead.
7/7

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Creature - Avatar Horror (R)
Protection from nonlands
B: Avatar of Blight gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Avatar of Blight attacks, the defending player may pay XX. When they do, they may untap X target lands they control. Those lands become 3/3 Elemental creatures until end of combat. They're still lands.
Nature seethes in its presence.
3/3
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Korei, Changed by the Seasons 1BG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod (U)
Korei's power is equal to your devotion to black and green. (Each and/or in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to black and green.)
When Korei dies, return it to the battlefield under target opponent's control. If that player doesn't own Korei, lands they control don't untap during their next untap step.
*/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Visibility bump - two days left!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Creature - Avatar (Rare)
Avatar of Ingenuity has power and toughness each equal to the number of artifacts you control.
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may tap or untap target permanent.
Legendary artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
*/*
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Creature — Avatar (R)
Vigilance
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, exile that creature with 3 time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)
5/5
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Zakrut, the Blessed Kindling 1RR
Legendary Creature - Demigod {R}
Trample
RR, T: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. If the copy would deal damage to one or more permanents or players, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
5: If Zakrut isn't a God, put four +1/+1 counters and an indestructible counter on it and it becomes a God. Activate this ability only if sources you control have dealt 6 or more noncombat damage this turn.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending the round until 11:59 PM Eastern on Saturday!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

I hope I posted in time.

Creature - Avatar (Mythic)
Defender, Indestructible
W: Exile another target creature. Its controller gains life equal to its power.
"It sends every soul to life without worries, yet it can't find happiness itself. May you make it happy again."
- Thalisse, Reverent Medium

0/8

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
I hope I posted in time.
No worries, as the round is extended.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Dassae, The Forbidden Word 1wwww
Legendary Creature - Avatar (m)
Flying
When Dassae. The Forbidden Word enters the battlefield, name a card.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player names a card.
Only cards named by Dessae can be cast.
2/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The round is closed. Please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

bravelion83
RaikouRider
Ink-Treader
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
Venedrex
MonoRedMage
netn10
Henlock

Please note that with the number of contestants, the critique list consists of everyone but the person right above you.

Round 2 will come very soon!

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar {R}
If an opponent controls six or more nonbasic lands, this spell costs 6 less to cast.
Menace
If a land's ability would cause a player to add more than one mana, that ability adds no mana instead.
7/7
This looks plausible, but it's a bit too close to land destruction for my taste. I think the last ability could make this card relevant in older formats, I'm thinking about using this as sideboard against, for example, Tron in Modern. Not the cheapest sideboard card though, and you can't count on your opponent to cast this for cheap reliably.

Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Protection from nonlands
Whenever Avatar of Blight attacks, the defending player may pay XX. When they do, they may untap X target lands they control. Those lands become 3/3 Elemental creatures until end of combat. They're still lands.
3/3
I think this should have some green somewhere. I don't think mono-black gets to animate lands, even if they're not yours. Anyway, a clever workaround to protection from nonlands, which is very (too?) close to protection from everything. As for the shade ability, I see that this by itself is only as big as one of the animated lands so they will trade and you might want to make this bigger, but I wonder if it would have been better removing that ability and make this bigger with the added benefit (because on a card like this is looks like a benefit to me) of increasing the mana value. Protection from almost everything and/or land destruction (because this is what this is in disguise) should cost a lot of mana.

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Korei, Changed by the Seasons 1BG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod (U)
Korei's power is equal to your devotion to black and green. (Each and/or in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to black and green.)
When Korei dies, return it to the battlefield under target opponent's control. If that player doesn't own Korei, lands they control don't untap during their next untap step.
*/2
Why do all cards this round mess with the opponents' lands? This is the third card in a row that does. There is a reason why land destruction is as rare in frequency and low-powered as it is today. Imagine these cards being played against you. Would you want them to mess with your lands, that you need to cast spells and advance the game? I'm sorry, but I don't like this style of cards, and this is the third card in a row. Don't misunderstand me, you know me and I'm not angry at you. Cards like this have their place in Magic, it's just that I don't like messing with the opponents' lands because I don't want them to mess with mine. That's all. I'm sorry if this comes out worse than I intend.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar (Rare)
Avatar of Ingenuity has power and toughness each equal to the number of artifacts you control.
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may tap or untap target permanent.
Legendary artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
*/*
Wrong wording: "Avatar of Ingenuity's base power and toughness are each equal to...". Here too, let's not mess with opposing lands. Apparently, this is this critique round's theme. I would have said "you may tap or untap target nonland permanent". All the rest of the card is good, even if it reminds me vaguely of Master of Etherium. Notably, this is not an artifact itself, so it immediately dies if you cast it with no artifacts. I could see some less experienced player falling into that trap.

Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Creature — Avatar (R)
Vigilance
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, exile that creature with 3 time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)
5/5
I really like this card. It reminds me of Delay, but as a death trigger. I have nothing bad to say about this card. Very good candidate for my top 3.

MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Trample
RR, T: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. If the copy would deal damage to one or more permanents or players, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
5: If Zakrut isn't a God, put four +1/+1 counters and an indestructible counter on it and it becomes a God. Activate this ability only if sources you control have dealt 6 or more noncombat damage this turn.
2/2
Here are my remarks. Flavor: what is a Kindling? I honestly don't know. First activated ability: how does it interact with cards like Fireball that deal damage to multiple targets? Clearly, the ability says "one or more", so it triggers only once regardless of the number of targets. But does every target get 1 more damage, or do you have to choose one target to get the additional 1 damage? I think it's the latter, but it's not clear. No problems with the last ability, it conveys very well the fact that it represents Zakrut ascending to godhood.

netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Defender, Indestructible
"It sends every soul to life without worries, yet it can't find happiness itself. May you make it happy again."

0/8
Isn't that Swords to Plowshares? And repeatable?!? Isn't it already powerful enough by itself? Costing six mana is enough, but I think the activated ability needs to cost a lot more mana, especially on a creature that's so hard to get rid of: 8 toughness AND indestructible. Ok, you won't get damage by this, but that's like the least of my worries. I also don't get how it's supposed to represent happiness. Or maybe I do: you will be very happy to have a repeatable Swords to Plowshares that's also hard to remove! Minor thing: indestructible should not be capitalized.
Top 3
1st place: Venedrex
2nd place: MonoRedMage
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Judgments complete.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Has a brutal powerspike, but getting there takes some effort, and it doesn't protect her either.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Feels like an attempt at a Persephone flavored card. The drawback isn't too harsh, especially against an opponent who isn't running black or green, and I suspect most people would be seeking to abuse it with a sacrifice engine and Homeward Path and other retrieval methods anyway.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
More or less what one would expect from a blue, artifact-loving creature. The cost reduction feels a little tacked on, and I wonder if making all artifacts 1 cheaper wouldn't feel a bit better here.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Pretty straightforward. Doesn't quite negate a board wipe, but it forces an opponent to move fast to capitalize.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I like this as a departure from existing Demigod design. The damage increase for the spell copies feels a bit unnecessary, but not inherently overpowered.
netn10
Show
Hide
This seems rather powerful. Even nixing the indestructible, this could still be oppressive, but at least more reasonable to deal with.
Henlock
Show
Hide
A bit memory intensive, but probably fine at such a high rarity. Forces your opponents (and yourself) to telegraph your intentions, but with a little room for bluffing too. Probably more fun to play around than it initially seems.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Venedrex
2. slimytrout
3. MonoRedMage

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

bravelion83 - I'd hope a Theros Demigod would feel like an enchantment in addition to a creature - this just doesn't really, y'know? It fits with the original cycle and the bonus keywords all are useful even on a creature with huge power. It's just not that complex or exciting, but then again, it's still uncommon.

RaikouRider - And this goes the Prophecy route. A nice hoser for truly broken lands (the likes of Mishra's Workshop) but by the time you can play this for the discount it feels like the deck you're playing against will have accelerated into something that would kill you already.

Ink-Treader - Wow, that's - really wacky, okay. I like the flavor a lot and the drawback is real.

slimytrout - Hah, Persephone's story is pretty complicated but that's a good way of capturing it. I like the personal Endless Whispers. Not sure the land tap thing is green though.

kwanyeegor-ii - Nice little package. The relatively big discount for legendary artifacts is cool. I wonder if it would be abuseable.

netn10 - Ouch, not even a tap or a "Discard a card" or anything in the cost - infinite Swords to Plowshares is a great way to lock down the game completely. Can't argue with the flavor though.

Henlock - Super-reverse-Meddling Mage that gets less powerful over time. This is a hard design to evaluate because it's so situational - either it stops your opponent's whole gameplan or it's a worse Rule of Law. I can't deny how clever of an idea it is though.

Top 3
1 - Ink-Treader
2 - slimytrout
3 - Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

bravelion- This can pack quite a punch if you get there. Boros has good support for permanent-oriented strategies such as going wide or auras, but the floor here is a bit low, compared to the other devotion demigods that have some kind of ability.

RaikouRaider- Like the Prophecy throwback here This is a very interesting card in commander. I'm not 100% sure about the rules here, but it will not hose triggered doublers such as Vernal Bloom or Gauntlet of Power, but anything that makes.more mana.naturally such as bouncelands will take a big hit. I like the blood sun ability combined with this one and.it makes a fine hosser as it hits the table when the game is more or less advanced. The 7/7 menace body is also.important if you can play it for a discount and have haste enabled, as it will stop most cmbat
lands.

Ink Treader; I think you should have.gone with "cannot be blocked by nonland creatures" rather than protection here, because it looks quite fun but so mich protection feels a bit off. It might be fine as it is if limited only to.commander, where combat lands I was talking bwfore are quite.popular, such as Kor haven,or Maze of Ith, but there' Rogue's Passage too.

slimytrout: This one is a flavor home run. The ability can be very powerful, but you'd need to build around it to make it truly oppressive. The fact that it doesn't tap the lands is important, tho, as it gives your opponents room to plan around it. I also like that it has room for backfiring, specially against green decks that might use protection or trampling on it.

kwanyegor- At first I got a little scared of the cost reduction ability but a quick scryfall search nothing looks blatanty degenerate. This can become.really, really .big.

Venedrex - This is pretty nice. Boardwipe insurance in the color.of boardwipes is actually pretty solid. The suspend 3.is a reasonable time. I also.like that you can.keep.some creatures rolling their etbs and.ltbs and use this as slow. but reliable.engine.

Monoredmage: My first thought was that this was a nice burn commander; It copies spells, increases damage and gains indestructible to survive damage boardwipes. I would narrow the first ability to work only with damage spells. I'm not sure how I would word ut right now nut there:s surely a good way to do it. It would look more focused and it woulf keep it from being too powerful in spekl -cop/ing shenanigans, given that it can hit the table very early. and copy for cheap.

1. RaikouRaider
2. Venedrex
3. slimytrout
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I like this overall, but I am a little concerned with a creature that can repeatedly copy instants and sorceries, seems quite strong.
netn10
Show
Hide
Swords to plowshares on an indestructible stick is pretty strong outside of constructed. I'd worry that this would be very frustrating to play against in limited, as you watch your supposedly vicious army of creatures embrace their true passion: farming.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Interesting. Don't see an issue with this in general, but it definitely narrows down what players are able to do.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Seems nice, the devotion is easy to hit I think, but because the card doesn't have haste I don't really have any balance concerns with it.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Wow, blank, Tron. I too dislike how powerful nonbasics have gotten lately, so this is interesting to me. A little situational, but it might see some play vs the right deck.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
As others have stated, quite clever. However, I don't like blanket protection usually, and I think this card might be just good enough to give someone a headache in limited, but not strong enough to be a genuine part of any constructed deck. Also, I think it might be a color pie break for a black card to allow someone to animate land, although it is excellent flavor.

Perhaps giving it protection from green, and making the ability cost the opponent green mana would be a interesting approach to this.
That way the card could be more of a focused role player for the sideboard that also comes with a way to prevent itself being overpowered against the type of decks it would be used against.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Pretty flavorful card, but again, I think we may be breaking the color pie here. I don't think black or green should stop lands from untapping. Destroy them? Sure. But I'm pretty sure the tap effect belongs in other colors.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. Henlock
3. RaikouRider
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Just have time for a T3 for now:

1. Venedrex
2. RaikouRider
3. MonoRedMage

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Cymede, Betrayed by Love 2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Demigod (U)
Cymede's power is equal to your devotion to red and white. (Each R and/or W in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to red and white.)
If your devotion to red and white is seven or more, Cymede has first strike, vigilance, and trample.
She doesn't know her love is whispering her name. She can't hear him.
*/3
Definitely feels uncommon, plus balanced. Idk why it gains the keywords, doesn't seem to fit the flavor
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar {R}
Menace
7/7
Pretty cool, decent hoser for sure... guess you're not a Lotus Field/Ancient Tomb fan lol
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Protection from nonlands
3/3
Really flavorful, drawback feels kinda hardsh but appropriate
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Creature — Avatar (R)
Vigilance
5/5
Maybe kind of pushed but super flavorful and effective. A great edh card
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Trample
2/2
I like this guy but the damage adding might be over the top
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
I hope I posted in time.

Defender, Indestructible

0/8
The ultimate defensive card lol? I like the concept but it would stall the game
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Dassae, The Forbidden Word 1wwww
Legendary Creature - Avatar (m)
Flying
When Dassae. The Forbidden Word enters the battlefield, name a card.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player names a card.
Only cards named by Dessae can be cast.
2/6
This seems like it would be hard to track, nice idea tho
Show
Hide
1 Venedrex
2 RaikouRider
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”