void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL February Top 6/Round 3

"Make or Unmake"

Bend or Break, taken from echomtg.com, by Arnie Swekel and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Risk Month here in the CCL! During this month, we will be taking chances and doing things at random.

Challenge
Design a "divvy" card - one that causes a player to separate cards into piles.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
Your submissions are due Sunday, February 28th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@Daylit
@Venedrex
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage
@slimytrout
@OneAndOnly

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (February 25th-28th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due March 1st)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (March 2nd-March 5th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 7th)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Participation bump - about 24 hours left before the deadline.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Hemispherotomy 2BB
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent divides their hand into a face-up pile and a face-down pile. Choose one of those piles. That player discards those cards.
"You once told me that I must have only half a brain, but now it is you who will find out what that is like."
-Sveera, Virtuoso of Revenge

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Ritual of the Crossroads 3BB
Sorcery (Rare)
Target opponent separates all creatures and planeswalkers you control into two piles. Sacrifice all permanents in one of the piles and you draw a card and add B for each permanent sacrificed in this way, then put a +1/+1 counter or loyalty counter on each permanent in the other pile for each permanent sacrificed in this way
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Guessing Game
Enchantment (R)
You may cast creatures in your hand as though they had morph.
At the beginning of your upkeep, separate three face-down creatures you control into two piles. Then target opponent flips each creature in the pile of their choice face up.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Daylit @MonoRedMage @OneAndOnly - I'm extending the round until midnight Eastern tonight and no longer. Please get those entries in!

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

Devilish Tutor 1BB
Sorcery (R)
Separate your library into two piles. An opponent chooses one of the piles, searches it for up to two cards, and exiles them. You may search the other pile for a card, reveal it, put it into your hand. Then shuffle the piles back into your library.
A game of whispered promise and forgotten potential.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Living Mutiny 5RR
Creature - Avatar {R}
First strike
T: Target opponent separates each creature they control into two piles. Each creature in the pile of your choice deals damage equal to its power to that player. Living Mutiny deals damage equal to its power to each creature in the other pile.
4/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That will be all for this round - please critique and provide a top 3 for all other contestants.

With only five entrants and with this month being so delayed, instead of having a top 4 round I'm going to send the top 3 contestants to the finals right after this round.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Huh. Definitely an unusual card. Not the most elegant -- took me multiple tries to grok -- and to be honest, not really my type of card, but I can definitely see how it would appeal to some people. It would result in some very complicated decisions, though, which is the biggest risk with these types of cards.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Definitely a fun idea, but I have two main concerns: 1) it really will end up just being a guessing game for your opponent, since they have no information other than how you divided the piles and what order you played them in. Some players enjoy mind games like this, but many will find it pretty feels-bad. 2) The card is not at all clear on what happens if you don't control three face-down creatures (or at least, not clear to me). If it said "three target creatures..." or had a "may", then a player with my level of rules comprehension would know that nothing happened, or if it said "up to" then that would be obvious as well, but as is I'm leaning towards thinking that you would carry out the instructions with two creatures but not entirely sure.
Daylit
Show
Hide
In constructed, this is almost always just a Grim Tutor that weakens your deck instead of costing you life, which definitely makes the card stronger. In limited, it would be substantially weaker than a normal tutor. Either way, this card would be an absolute nightmare to play. Even if you don't worry about sorting lands, you're still dealing with piles that have billions of possible combinations, which is way, way too fiddly for what usually ends up being a standard tutor. This card would cause huge headaches in tournament play, both in paper and in digital, and as a result would never see print.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I rather like this card. It has some good tension (your opponent wants to come up with an even distribution of big and small creatures in each pile) and as a result doesn't have quite the dizzying complexity of some of the other submissions -- there will often be hundreds of possible combinations (if your opponent controls 5 or more creatures), but probably only a few of them will be plausible. My one complaint is that I think this would be a lot better as an ETB effect for the following reasons: a) you don't have to worry about untapping with your 4-toughness 7-drop, b) you get to attack with your first striker instead of just holding it back and tapping it every turn (it only deals 4 damage on attack, so it's almost always going to be better to either kill multiple of their creatures or dome them for 5+, unless their board is totally empty or they only have low-power high-toughness creatures) and c) your opponent doesn't have to keep making these decisions turn after turn even though they've probably already lost.
T3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Venedrex

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

slimytrout - This is a pretty cool mind game. I like the face up versus face down a lot. Ultimately it's probably not going to net you a lot of discarded cards lol.

kwanyeegor-ii - Neat, this really feels like an evil pact. My only concern is the opponent leaving an empty pile, but obviously that lets you just draw 10 cards and add ten black mana and that will probably just win you the game lmao.

Venedrex - What happens if you can't choose three creatures on your upkeep? Jalum Grifter commander decks' favorite card right? Haha.

Daylit - There are a lot of questions I have about what's revealed when. Ultimately I think this card is too complicated for a tutor and designwise something like Guided Passage is just cleaner.

Top 3 -
1 - slimytrout
2 - kwanyeegor-ii
3 - Venedrex

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Evaluations:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
slimeytrout - I like this design. Feels like a fun version of mind rot that gives your opponent some thinking to do. I'm a big fan of effects like Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths and this feels like that but in reverse. Best case scenario I imagine a player would likely get to discard around four cards from an opponent which feels about right for the cost and rarity.

kwanyeegor-ii - This definitely feels like an exciting card to me, and the payoff could be excellent. I do appreciate how this feels like a them or us situation, which is very flavorful. Mechanically it's a little tricky to understand, but not that bad. Overall it feels like a fun card, and at five mana I'd say it feels balanced.

Daylit - Interesting idea. Feels like a callback to Emergent Ultimatum in some ways, but obviously a much different card. So from how I understand it, this card functions as a tutor where your opponent tries to determine which pile has the best stuff, then exile the two best cards from that pile. Seems interesting. Not sure if it would be super powerful, but it could be fun. I'm kinda on the fence about this one.

MonoRedMage - Alright alright alright. *Matthew Mcconaughey voice* I can appreciate this. A big red boy that tells your opponent's creatures to rebel, and packs a wallop. I can understand why you didn't give it haste, (what is this balance you speak of - Spike) and the cost seems pretty fair for being a potential board wipe and a direct damage blast to the face. Depends on your opponent having creatures, but that is almost always the case anyway. Seems like a fun and powerful card, and I appreciate the fact that in limited you have a turn to answer it before it goes Rambo on your boardstate. Feels solid to me.
Top 3:
1. MonoRedMage
2. slimeytrout
3. kwanyeegor-ii
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Hemispherotomy 2BB
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent divides their hand into a face-up pile and a face-down pile. Choose one of those piles. That player discards those cards.
"You once told me that I must have only half a brain, but now it is you who will find out what that is like."
Most elegant design here imho. Not sure it would be very strong but seems fun
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Guessing Game
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, separate three face-down creatures you control into two piles. Then target opponent flips each creature in the pile of their choice face up.
Really nice idea. might be too complicated. I wish it forced you to cast them face down lol
Daylit wrote:
3 years ago
Devilish Tutor 1BB
Sorcery (R)
Separate your library into two piles. An opponent chooses one of the piles, searches it for up to two cards, and exiles them. You may search the other pile for a card, reveal it, put it into your hand. Then shuffle the piles back into your library.
A game of whispered promise and forgotten potential.
This card was kinda hard to read lol. I would just play Grim Tutor most of the time, it doesnt seem worth the risk
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Living Mutiny 5RR
Creature - Avatar {R}
First strike
T: Target opponent separates each creature they control into two piles. Each creature in the pile of your choice deals damage equal to its power to that player. Living Mutiny deals damage equal to its power to each creature in the other pile.
4/4
Living Inferno inspired? Really cool card
t3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 monoredmage
3 venedrex
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ending the critiques period at midnight eastern tonight @Daylit

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Hemispherotomy 2BB
Sorcery (R)
Straight and simple. I like it
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Ritual of the Crossroads 3BB
Sorcery (Rare)
Target opponent separates all creatures and planeswalkers you control into two piles. Sacrifice all permanents in one of the piles and you draw a card and add B for each permanent sacrificed in this way, then put a +1/+1 counter or loyalty counter on each permanent in the other pile for each permanent sacrificed in this way
The effect is somewhat complicated and only really does anything on a really crowded boardstate, at 5 mana it seems overcosted.
Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
Guessing Game
Enchantment (R)
I like effects that synergize with morphed creatures to hatch them early, and red could certainly do that. However, i think the first ability should manifest creatures from your hand to make sure you can turn them face up in other ways.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Living Mutiny 5RR
Creature - Avatar {R}
First strike
4/4
An interesting divvy effect in that it rewards opponents considering the all-or-nothing pile separation as well. My greatest issue is that i think the creature itself is quite expensive for such a puny body, whereas no activation cost makes this very abusable. Moving some of that mana around would help this greatly.
Top 3:
1 Venedrex
2 Slimytrout
3 Monoredmage

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your finalists are slimytrout, MonoRedMage, and Venedrex! Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”