February MCC Round 3: A Tale as Old as Time

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

febmcc3.png
Banner based on Arni Slays the Troll by Simon Dominic and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
February MCC Round 3: A Tale as Old as Time

Welcome to the February MCC! We're already halfway through exploring the flavor and mechanics of the set with Kaldheim Month here at the MCC. It can't have been easy getting here -- you must have quite the story to tell...

Main Challenge: Design a multicolored saga.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has the (proper) name of your round 2 creature in its name.
Subchallenge 2: The rules text of your card has a word that's never been on a previous saga (that isn't in its own name).

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, March 3rd 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Saturday, March 6th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Subchallenge 1: That is to say, the character's proper name, which typically will be the first word or words in that card's card name. (For example, if my card was named "Slimytrout, the Rainbow Fish" then my saga would get a point for being named "Slimytrout Wriggles Away" but not "The Rainbow Descends.")

Subchallenge 2: To continue the previous example, if my card was "I-III: Slimytrout Wriggles Away deals 3 damage to target creature" that would not satisfy the challenge. Also, numbers and number words are considered identical for the purpose of this subchallenge ("eight" doesn't count because Kiora Bests the Sea God makes an 8/8), as are plural/singular words (creature/creatures) and verb forms of the same word (draw/draws).

P.S. If you think it might not be obvious to the judges which word is the "new" word, you have an official dispensation to make a note of which one it is in your entry.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
slimytrout
void_nothing

Players:
@Henlock
@Riria
@Ink-Treader
@Daylit
@Venedrex
@Subject16
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Just to make sure the tags went through:

@Henlock
@Riria
@Ink-Treader
@Daylit
@Venedrex
@Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Daylit

Post by Daylit » 3 years ago

So apparently "block" and "blocked" aren't on any sagas yet.

Skattur Reclaims Stolen Wealth 1UUBB
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I - Create a Treasure token
II - Choose target creature an opponent controls. That creature must attack you and can't be blocked during it's controller's next combat step.
III - Exchange control of target noncreature permanent you control and target tapped creature an opponent controls, then that opponent loses 2 life and sacrifices a creature for each permanent they control but they don't own.
Last edited by Daylit 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

Cyraya Learns the Secret 2RWB
Enchantment - Saga (MR)
I - Until end of turn, whenever a creature dies, exile it and add R, W or B. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
II - Until end of turn, whenever a creature is sacrificed, exile it and add two mana in any combination of R, W or B. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
III - You may pay RRRWWWBBB. If you do, create Cyraya, Valkyrie Pinnacle, a legendary 10/10 red, white and black Angel God creature token with flying, indestructible and "At the end of your turn, exile all other nonland permanents."

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Mofrus Breaks the World 3BR
Enchantment — Saga (Rare)
(As this saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I,II: Until end of turn, whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a permanent.
III: After the first postcombat main phase this turn, there's an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. At the beginning of that combat, untap all creatures that attacked this turn.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Latja Turns the Tide 1GW
Enchantment - Saga (R)
Flash
(As this saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I: Until end of turn, each creature you control has hexproof and indestructible as long as it's blocking.
II: Until end of turn, each creature you control has hexproof and indestructible as long as it's attacking.
III: You gain life equal to the number of creatures you control.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Darhon Builds the Steelworm 1rw
Enchantment - Saga (r)
I: Each player sacrifices a land.
II: Create a legendary colorless 5/5 Vehicle artifact token named Steelworm. It has indestructible, "Steelworm can't be blocked by creatures with flying" and Crew 3.
III: Each player draws a card.

slimytrout

Just a heads-up to @Venedrex that <12 hours remain to get your entry in (or request an extension). Given that it's already March and we haven't even moved on to the finals yet (to be fair, February is a *very* short month), I don't want to let this round hang for too long.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

As far as I could tell, "attach" hasn't been used on a Saga before.

Grimgor Shows Mercy
Enchantment - Saga (U)
1. Gain control of target creature an opponent controls with mana value 3 or less until end of turn.
2. Create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
3. Double the power of target creature you control until end of turn, then you may attach an aura or equipment you control to that creature.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Ok, round is closed! This is the versus round; void and I will each judge both brackets and the winner from each will move on to the finals.

Riria vs. Henlock
Venedrex vs. Daylit
Ink-Treader vs. Subject16

slimytrout

Riria
Show
Hide
Cyraya Learns the Secret 2RWB
Enchantment - Saga (MR)
I - Until end of turn, whenever a creature dies, exile it and add R, W or B. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
II - Until end of turn, whenever a creature is sacrificed, exile it and add two mana in any combination of R, W or B. You don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
III - You may pay RRRWWWBBB. If you do, create Cyraya, Valkyrie Pinnacle, a legendary 10/10 red, white and black Angel God creature token with flying, indestructible and "At the end of your turn, exile all other nonland permanents."

Design
(1.5/3) Appeal — Timmy loves the prospect of getting to the pinnacle. Johnny likes the combo potential of the first two abilities, although they don't like the exile part which prevents a lot of the possible abuse. Spike doesn't like having to pay 5 mana just to get mana back when creatures die, nor do they like maybe using a card to maybe get a huge beater after three turns if they can build up the mana.
(1.5/3) Elegance — This much text looks very crowded on a saga, and it wouldn't fit at all if you added the reminder text that all sagas have had up to this point. If you dropped the second chapter and made it I-II, then it would be much more plausible. An additional problem is that you start I and II with "until end of turn," but then that doesn't apply to the second half of the abilities even though it seems like it should. In fact, only realized it didn't because of the final ability.

Development
(2/3) Viability — Colors seem fine. I don't think the red is strictly necessary, but there's nothing wrong with it. However, I don't think this makes a very good mythic – it has a lot of text, is very conditional, and wouldn't be great in limited. Rare would be much more appropriate.
(3/3) Balance — It would be safer to include "nontoken" in those abilities, but for five mana I don't think this is doing anything broken.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness — A few of the Dominaria sagas culminated in an enormous creature (Chainer's Torment, Rite of Belzenlok) but most of this is pretty new.
(3/3) Flavor — I like it a lot. Very mysterious, which is appropriate for a card about secrets, but still evocative.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality — Should be "If a creature would die, exile it instead."
(2/2) Main Challenge — Yep.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges — Only giving half credit for the new word – "Valkyrie" and "Pinnacle" both technically count but they're both name words. Would have given full credit to Angel or God, but those have both appeared already.

Total: 19.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Darhon Builds the Steelworm 1rw
Enchantment - Saga (r)
I: Each player sacrifices a land.
II: Create a legendary colorless 5/5 Vehicle artifact token named Steelworm. It has indestructible, "Steelworm can't be blocked by creatures with flying" and Crew 3.
III: Each player draws a card.
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal — Timmy likes it the most, mostly because of the indestructible 5/5 vehicle. Spike likes denying their opponent resources in chapter I, but doesn't like giving them resources in chapter III. Johnny has no interest.
(3/3) Elegance — I and III are very simple, which gives II a little more room to add some flavor.

Development
(3/3) Viability — Colors and rarity are entirely correct.
(2.5/3) Balance — 3-mana land destruction is strong (at least, when stapled to a substantial threat), but the fact that it's a mutual sacrifice ameliorates it somewhat. Still, this would cause some real unhappiness in limited.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness — The vaguest hints of Fall of the Thran in the first ability, but II is very new and even III has never been done before on a saga, so I'll give full points.
(3/3) Flavor — I like it a lot – I absolutely know what happens in the story.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality — When making a token with abilities, the ability always says "this creature" and not the creature's name.
(2/2) Subchallenges — A whole bunch of new words: legendary, vehicle, and crew (and Steelworm, I suppose).

Total: 22.5/25
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Grimgor Shows Mercy
Enchantment - Saga (U)
1. Gain control of target creature an opponent controls with mana value 3 or less until end of turn.
2. Create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
3. Double the power of target creature you control until end of turn, then you may attach an aura or equipment you control to that creature.
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal — Timmy likes power-doubling and auras and equipment, so they're pretty happy. Johnny sees that this is doing weird stuff, so is interested, but is a little unhappy that a lot of that stuff is not pointing in the same direction. Spike is not interested at all.
(2/3) Elegance — The fact that this doesn't untap the creature it steals or give it haste will definitely confuse people, since it's pretty unusual for cards like this not to do both of those things.

Development
(3/3) Viability — Sure, all looks right.
(1.5/3) Balance — Pretty underpowered, even at two mana, mostly because everything is pointing in different directions. The first ability wants to go in a sacrifice deck, the second ability wants to go in a go-wide deck, and the final ability wants to go in a Voltron deck (or the non-EDH equivalent, some kind of equipment combo like Colossus Hammer). It's especially weird that the power doubling happens before the attaching, which makes the card even weaker.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness — Only the last ability is new (for sagas) – we've already had The Akroan War gain control of a creature temporarily and Battle for Bretagard make a 1/1 Human. Attaching Auras and Equipment for free is also not new (see: Halvar, God of Battle), so the only thing that's new is combining that with power doubling.
(2/3) Flavor — I don't quite get it, to be honest. Maybe there's a story being told here that I would get if there was art attached to it, but without that I don't really understand what each chapter is supposed to represent.

Polish
(2/3) Quality — Chapter titles should be numerals, and Aura and Equipment are subtypes, so should be capitalized.
(2/2) Subchallenges — Not only "attach," but also "aura."

Total: 17.5/25
Daylit
Show
Hide

Skattur Reclaims Stolen Wealth 1UUBB
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I - Create a Treasure token
II - Choose target creature an opponent controls. That creature must attack you and can't be blocked during it's controller's next combat step.
III - Exchange control of target noncreature permanent you control and target tapped creature an opponent controls, then that opponent loses 2 life and sacrifices a creature for each permanent they control but they don't own.
Design
(1/3) Appeal — This is plenty weird for Johnny. Timmy doesn't like having to get hit by their opponent's best creature in order to steal it, and to be honest, neither does Spike.
(1/3) Elegance — The last ability is pretty wordy, but it only took me two reads to fully get it. Also this is missing the reminder text that has been on all sagas so far. But biggest problem is that the long title isn't even close to fitting on the top of the card with the color-heavy mana cost.

Development
(3/3) Viability — Yeah, these colors can do these things. I honestly think this could maybe be uncommon, given how difficult it is to make it work in limited, but I don't think rare is wrong.
(1/3) Balance — Very weak. Forging the Tyrite Sword costs three mana and has the same first ability and a better second ability (in that it doesn't actively hurt you). Given that the later chapters are progressively less important to how strong a saga is, because you might be dead by the time you reach III – especially in this case, when II is trying to get you killed – the eventual 2-for-1 is not nearly enough to make this worth playing.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness — The first ability is already on a saga, as mentioned. The third ability feels a bit like The Trickster-God's Heist but does have an added twist. The second ability is totally new though.
(3/3) Flavor — Yeah, this tells a nice story – there's some Treasure, someone comes to steal it, then they themselves are stolen back.

Polish
(2/3) Quality — "its" vs. "it's." Missing a period after the first ability.
(2/2) Main Challenge — Yes.
(2/2) Subchallenges — Nice find on "block."

Total: 17.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Latja Turns the Tide 1GW
Enchantment - Saga (R)
Flash
I: Until end of turn, each creature you control has hexproof and indestructible as long as it's blocking.
II: Until end of turn, each creature you control has hexproof and indestructible as long as it's attacking.
III: You gain life equal to the number of creatures you control.
Design
(2/3) Appeal — Timmy likes protecting all their things, and they super like doing it twice. Johnny sees hexproof and indestructible as a potent pair of keywords, but is not really interested in the whole package. Spike likes getting to protect some creatures on blocks and then swing back with them (and gain some life) to win a race, but is worried about the fact that it's not that easy to set this up to get much actual value.
(3/3) Elegance — I and II are nice and symmetric, and III is very simple. Quite a neat little package. No one is going to miss the flash part because the first ability needs it, so that's nice too.

Development
(3/3) Viability — Probably this effect could be mono-green, but green-white definitely isn't a problem. And yeah, this sort of effect generally goes at rare.
(2.5/3) Balance — This type of effect is generally not the strongest, and while this plays a nice little trick by giving it to you twice, it's also missing the most important mode of Heroic Intervention, which is protecting from wraths. So I don't think it would be quite up to snuff, but it's certainly not bad.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness — A saga with flash is certainly new! The abilities are a little more similar to existing things, but the first has obviously never been done before on sagas, and the second bears only a passing similarity to things like Song of Freyalise.
(3/3) Flavor — I like it a lot. Very clear how this story goes.

Polish
(3/3) Quality — All good.
(2/2) Subchallenges — "Flash" and "blocking."

Total: 23/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Mofrus Breaks the World 3BR
Enchantment — Saga (Rare)
I,II: Until end of turn, whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a permanent.
III: After the first postcombat main phase this turn, there's an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. At the beginning of that combat, untap all creatures that attacked this turn.

Design
(1/3) Appeal — Timmy doesn't like waiting two turns for their extra combat, but they do like extra combats. I guess Spike likes that this is a *potential* two-for-one that also gives an extra combat, but the two cards are probably going to be lands and the combat takes a while to arrive. Johnny has little interest because of the "one or more."
(3/3) Elegance — Simple enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability — This feels pretty mono-red to me – not sure what the black adds to this. But rarity is correct.
(1.5/3) Balance — Pretty weak unless you're already quite far ahead, which makes useful only as a win-more card. Compare to Storm Fleet Arsonist, a 5-mana common that a) comes with a 4/4 body attached, b) only cares if you attacked, not dealt damage, and c) comes down after combat when you have more information and your opponent has fewer choices. Obviously the third chapter distinguishes this, but it's always risky relying on a chapter's third saga to provide the meat of the card because the board state might have radically changed by the time it arrives.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness — None of this has been done on a saga before, but it has all been done before in some context.
(3/3) Flavor — "Breaks the world" is a bit vague, but I still basically think I get what's going on here and I can imagine some sick-looking art for this.

Polish
(3/3) Quality — Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges — Both "main" and "additional."

Total: 20.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Henlock: 22.5
Riria: 19.5

Venedrex: 17.5
Daylit: 17.5

Ink-Treader: 23
Subject16: 20.5

Sometimes the brackets break weirdly and that's just the way it goes. One tie for void to break.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Obviously mostly a Txmmy card. Jxnny likes all the interactions but finds it overly straightforward. Spike would just prefer to use a finisher that were easier to handle.
(1/3) Elegance - I'm sure you're well aware, but not only is this a wordy card, but it also has a lot of tracking (the mana which you can save up) and a complicated legendary token.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I'd say this is a mythic alright. I could take or leave red being in the cost considering that Kaldheim's valkyries are exclusively WB.
(2.5/3) Balance - Basically a build-around card but the God!Cyraya token would be much fairer if its ability triggered on your upkeep, not your end step, to give your opponents a little reaction time or possibly time to just kill you.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Quite a few unique aspects to this card but the gameplay is fairly linear - it basically wishes it were a creature with suspend and not a Saga.
(3/3) Flavor - Sure, I think I got it - Cyraya's gone beyond what even Firja managed and ascended to outright godhood by absorbing dead souls.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - It's "At the beginning of your end step", not "the end of your turn." Also, missing a comma in the list of the Cyraya token's colors.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(1.5/2) Subchallenges - Using words in the name of a named token is sort of cheating for the subchallenge.

Total: 18/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Appeals to literally anyone who has fantasized about driving one of these things - Mostly Txmmy and Spike but Jxnny could also have fun with it.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Making a legendary Vehicle token makes this card slightly wordy but on the whole it is very easy to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Spot-on colors and rarity.
(2.5/3) Balance - The Steelworm is quite strong but on the whole this card is fair.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The I and III are well-worn effects but the Steelworm token itself is interesting!
(3/3) Flavor - 1. Build an awesome drilling machine 2. ??? 3. Profit

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Crew shouldn't be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Weirdly a mostly Jxnny card. Txmmy desperately wishes the effects in the III were reversed (Jxnny frankly has a similar wish) and Spike really wishes the I granted haste.
(2/3) Elegance - None of these effects is particularly overcomplicated on its own but they are sort of disjointed from each other.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity correct.
(3/3) Balance - Three smallish effects for cheap (well, the third chapter is less small depending on what you're able to target) - I don't think anyone would object to this card's power level.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - That third chapter is the most unique aspect. The other two chapters don't do anything all that new.
(1.5/3) Flavor - So whom is he showing mercy to? The grabbed creature from the I, the token from the II, or the creature that gets powered up in the III?

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Subtypes like Saga, Aura, and Equipment get capitalized at all times, and Saga chapters are denoted with Roman numerals, not Arabic ones.

Total: 17/25
Daylit
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Almost all Jxnny. Neither Txmmy nor Spike are big on the slowness and drawbacks to gettine what you want out of this card.
(1/3) Elegance - You can sort of figure the card out mechanically from the story it tells, but holy crap is it ever wordy and complicated.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity seem correct.
(2.5/3) Balance - This card is convoluted enough to use for the payoff you get that I think it might even be overcosted.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Definitely some uniqueness to this even if it's probably inspired by the likes of Bronze Bombshell and Zedruu the Greathearted.
(3/3) Flavor - Definitely a clear connection between the name and the mechanics. Also fits quite well with the typical image of Norse mythological draugar!

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Missing a period at the end of the first chapter.

Total: 18.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Is something of a blunt reactive instrument so mostly a Txmmy/Spike card.
(2/3) Elegance - "Indestructible as long as it's attacking/blocking" is going to result in bad feelings when everyone realizes that doesn't actually save creatures from lethal combat damage after the combat phase ends.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity definitely look right.
(3/3) Balance - This card's certainly flexible but as noted above, the way it grants indestructible makes it considerably less powerful than it could be.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Most of the effects are pretty well-worn but a Saga with flash is a definite new idea.
(3/3) Flavor - Simple but effective.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 21.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Not much Jxnny appeal here. This is a Txmmy card - Spike would consider it but doesn't really want ato wait two turns for the extra combat.
(3/3) Elegance - Almost elegant to a fault.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look correct.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing objectionable at that cost.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Both the effects have been seen many times before and are straightforward.
(2/3) Flavor - The name feels a little hyperbolic - the maximum permanents this card can cause to be sacrificed per opponent is usually two, barring double strike. That hardly seems like "the world." Colors also seem off based on the colors of Giants in Kaldheim.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 20/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”