November CCL: Memories Laid in Reverence

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

CCL November Top 6/Round 3
"Memories Laid in Reverence"
Based on Entomb, Obliterate and Profane Procession // Tomb of the Dusk Rose, by Wizards of Coast and respectively by Seb McKinnon, Kev Walker and Bastien L. Deharme.

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

This November CCL theme will be remembrance of those who have passed, in diffrent forms.

Challenge
Create an enchantment, instant or sorcery card representing burial rites.
Clarification
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include rarity.
@Subject16
@slimytrout
@void_nothing
@Henlock
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage

Your submissions are due Tuesday November 30th, 12:00 EST.

Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st–8th)
Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 10th–21th)
Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 25th)
Top 6 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 25th–30th)
Top 6 Critiques (Due December 3rd)
Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 3rd–7th December)
Top 4 Critiques (Due December 10th)
Final (December, winner determined by public poll)

Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Fiery Funeral 3R
Instant {R}
When target nontoken creature dies this turn, exile it. When you do, that creature deals damage equal to its power to any target, then you discard your hand and draw cards equal to that creature's toughness.
Keldon war dead who can't be taken to the Necropolis are burned in replicas of Golden Argosy, the ship of prophecy.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Mossy Grave 1G
Instant (R)
Put any number of cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library, then return target card with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of cards put on the bottom of your library in this way from your graveyard to your hand.
Cycling G
Wirewood burials are simple, natural affairs.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Funeral Games 1GW
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, choose one:
•Draw a card if you control more creatures than each opponent.
•Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature if you have more cards in hand than each opponent.
•Create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying if you control a creature with the greatest power among creatures on the battlefield.
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Mariner's Last Rites 1U
Enchantment--Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has islandwalk
When enchanted creature dies, tap any number of untapped blue creatures you control. Draw a card for each creature tapped in this way
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Chorus of the Lost 2WW
Enchantment (Mythic Rare)
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, you may put a verse counter on Chorus of the Lost.
3WWW, Sacrifice Chorus of the Lost: Return from your graveyard to the battlefield any number of target creature cards with different converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of verse counters on Chorus of the lost. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Promises to the Fallen 3w
Enchantment (r)
Whenever a creature you control dies, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Thank you Henlock for the card.
The round is closed! Please critique the other contestants and put your top 3.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
void_nothing - Not sure on the power level of this. Feels rare. It seems overly complicated for just a recursion spell.

slimytrout - Awesome, just seems too win-more. You always have to be ahead in some way to use it after all.

kwanyeegor-ii - Very flavorful. Definitely potential for value here.

Subject16 - Another flavorful card that I think is pretty overcosted given the restrictions.

Henlock - Usually will have no effect in combat which is weird, but an aristocrats deck would love it.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 - slimytrout
2 - Henlock
3- kwanyeegor-ii

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Suuuper swingy -- could be Lava Axe meets one-sided Wheel of Fortune if someone's Hexplate Golem dies, could be totally awful. Not my favorite kind of card, personally, but definitely could be appealing to some.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Huh. Definitely not overpowered, especially for a rare, but Cycling G means it's never awful. A nice quirky card, if a little underwhelming in its effect.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
I think it could've been done without using a deprecated mechanic like islandwalk, but basically seems fun!
Subject16
Show
Hide
We just saw this basic effect on Agadeem's Awakening, but this is definitely a fun way to do it, if rather overcosted -- for 10 total mana Agadeem's Awakening gives you X=7, and that's got a land on the other side.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Basically a reverse Cathars' Crusade but one mana cheaper and with +1/+1 instead of counters. Ultimately it's a *lot* weaker, because death triggers tend to happen after combat damage is assigned, so this would only really make sense in a deck with a lot of sacrifice. Also could use some flavor text.
T3
Show
Hide
1. void_nothing
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Subject16

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage - Interesting stuff. At that cost maybe it's underpowered for rare? You need a BIG creature for it to be good. Flavor's on point.

slimytrout - That is just plain really neat. My only complaint is the win-moreness of it all but it needs something to gate the sheer power of those effects.

kwanyeegor-ii - Now that is a hell of a lot better than Fishliver Oil isn't it?

Subject16 - The base card here seems overcosted; I'd prefer if you could drop this turn 1 and just, wait. The six mana activated ability is, of course, already expensive.

Henlock - This is the most Jxnny oriented Txmmy card I've seen in a while. Thrill to giving your opponents' creatures first strike!
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I will close the critiques at 12:00 EST, 6th December 2020, Sunday.
Get your critiques in!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Critiques are closed.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The contestants for the next round are:
slimytrout
void_nothing
MonoRedMage