[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

(OOC: I didn't get an evaluation.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
(OOC: I didn't get an evaluation.)
Oops. Missed that sorry.

Flavor - 3 This creature is terrifying. Definitely feels like some a vampire would make.
Design - 3 neat idea. Kinda like a spell shaper that also has kicker.
Development - 2 Text reads clunky.
Luck -7 (4+3)

Incredium

Post by Incredium » 3 years ago

Flavor - 1: An adaptive abomination that alters in the exact way I would imagine a spawn of Kathril t- wait, isn't Kathril from Ikoria, not Zendikar? How did that get here? This would be spot on if not for the name throwing off the flavor of it being a hedron mutant thing rather than an Ikorian monster.
Design (3 points) - I really like the simplicity of the card tbh. It's very straightforward about what it wants to be: a 4/4 for 3 that can adapt to the situations at hand to hit things better.
Development (2.5 points) - Not sure on the balance, we live in a world where Steel Leaf Champion exists so big creatures for 3 mana isn't necessarily a problem. The first strike + deathtouch combo is scary. I think there's a lot of balance considerations I'd have to go over before saying this is printable at rare, but solid overall.
Bonus: +1 (thanks, I hate it.)
Luck- 5 (3+2)
Total: 12.5

Gamwatt made his way through the room quietly, paying head to the many sounds that were echoing about him. The crunch of stone could be distinctly heard near the entrance, and with a sinking feeling Gamwatt considered how he planned to escape now. The monster noises he heard in the distance... probably not his problem. Ah well, there was always another way out. Besides, he hadn't come all this way just to run off at the first sign of trouble. He had knives for that.

Gamwatt made his way through the corridor, sure to keep near the walls. Those stalactites didn't seem friendly. As he walked, his hedromites began to spread out around the room, testing for traps as they went. They began to discretely root through the drawers and cabinets in the workshop, looking for anything of use and scanning any important information into their databanks. As his creations fiddled with the various objects in the room, Gamwatt made his way to the awaiting corridor.

Rummage Through u
Sorcery (U)

Kicker 1b

Draw a card, then each player mills 2 cards. If this spell was kicked, you may return target creature or artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

"Old... faded... broken... don't know what that is... now this looks interesting..."

Character Sheet - Gamwatt
Show
Hide
Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary 1ub
Legendary Artifact Creature - Rogue (R)
Flash
Whenever Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary deals combat damage to a player, that player mills that many cards. For each creature or artifact card milled this way, create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
"You guys really should have reconsidered giving an experimental hedron based construct sentience. Honestly, anything weird I do from here on out is pretty much your fault."
2/4

HP: 14/14
Strength: 7
Inventory: Treasure (1)
Restorative Amulet
Show
Hide
Protective Amulet ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Equipped creature heals 1 additional point of health each round.
Note
Show
Hide
Also if anyone else wants to meet up I'm down. Murderbot and his gaggle of bionic children are lonely, looking for forever home. Single dad. Good with kids. Thrill seeker. I like mechanics, knives and long walks on the beach. Looking for something serious, no games. I will treat you right bb pls I'm so lonely I have like a thousand robot kids they physically do not sleep on god help me
Last edited by Incredium 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

As I may have previously mentioned, I'm in the process of moving, so won't be able to do updates today. Should be able to do so tomorrow though.

Mookie

Incredium
Flavor: 3.0 - was going to dock half a point because this isn't actually rummaging... but then I read the note and started bursting out laughing.
Design: 2.0 - missed opportunity for the recursion to be untargeted, so you could recur one of the cards you mill.
Development: 3.0 - looks like a solid uncommon - sorcery speed Thought Scour that turns into Recover.
Bonus: 0
Luck: 6 (4+2)
Total: 14

Outcomes and Challenges
slimytrout and Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta:
With a rumble, boulders fill the room, providing cover for Goreteg and protecting him from the clerics' onslaught. Dust fills the room as a result, forcing anyone unprepared to begin coughing. This proves to be an excellent distraction, allowing Illenen to join the fray without interruption. Although impromptu, the minotaur and knight's teamwork proves to be brutally effective - Illenen is able to strike down the other remaining foes without difficulty, with neither adventurer ending up much worse for the wear.

Looking over the now slightly-rubble-filled room, the pair notice that in addition to the meal, it appears that there was another reason why the clerics were so unprepared for the attack - they were also in the midst of playing a game of chance. Most of the items that were wagered appear to be of marginal value or unidentifiable - a book in a language that neither of the pair can read, a voucher to switch guard duty hours, a talisman that was assembled upside-down and will attract curses instead of warding them off... However, two items do appear to be useful. One is a small crystal hourglass that switches between sand falling up and falling down, and a staff covered with the fur and feathers of innumerable animals that seems to bring with it the scent of the wild.
Juju Hourglass
Show
Hide
Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).
Summoner's Staff
Show
Hide
Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Your creature spells cost less to cast.
Equip
Although the meal has been mostly ruined, the pair are able to salvage enough to fill one plate of Food, although eating in the now-ruined dining area seems like it would be a bit distasteful. Regardless, there are two exits to the room other than the one that the pair arrived through. One is an open door which, based on the smell, seems to lead to a kitchen area. The other is a simple wooden door, which appears to be locked.

Challenge: further investigate the room, or continue exploring
Restriction: None, although the fight may attract attention if you linger for too long
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior dungeon-delving experience
(note: you are currently in location 16)
Subject16
Show
Hide
(note: adding +2 because you correctly identified the other creature as a Human Knight. Good thing too, given your result!)
With a dark chant, Gumuz summons dark tendrils to consume the door. The spell that he chose was originally intended to be used against soft flesh, tearing it apart and dissolving it into shadows. Unfortunately, the wooden door was rather aged, which made it difficult for the tendrils to consume it. Fortunately, the door itself doesn't seem to have been trapped in any way - after a few minutes, the tendrils are able to apply sufficient structural damage to the door for Gumuz to make his way through it. Based on the screams coming from the stone door, it's probably for the best that he didn't go that way anyway.

....actually, are those screams coming from the other door? As Gumuz begins to make his way through the dark corridor, and shiver rolls down his spine and he begin to hear ghostly wailing.
"....itsallyourfault...."
"....yOuWiLlJoInUs...."
"---INUSJOINUSJOINUSJOINUSJO---"
Ghostly hands begin to reach out of the walls, grasping at Gumuz's limbs as madness begins to fill his head.

Challenge: make it through the hallway with your sanity intact!
Restriction: the wailing is very loud, and it's hard to concentrate. Your card text must be 5 words or less.
Bonus: +1 if you explain how your character resists the fear.
(note: you are currently at location 'e')
void_nothing and RaikouRider
Show
Hide
@void_nothing and @RaikouRider
The laboratory is filled with screeches and the sound of frenzied abominations as Lurgyan, Ivan, and Sky fight back. For the view of a neutral observer, one would have possess some amount of respect for whatever mad mage stuck these creatures together - although both of the abominations are made out of creatures that have absolutely no business being fused together, their bodies do seem to possess a certain amount of horrific elegance.

One horrific creature charges at Ivan and attempts to impale him on its horn and barbed stinger, while protecting itself with its thick, chitinous and hedron-encrusted hide. Meanwhile, the other creature looks to be the stuff of nightmares as it stalks Lurgyan around the laboratory, quickly dashing out and slashing at him with feline claws and sharp, whiplike tail before leaping back into the shadows. On the bright side, neither of the monsters appear to contain an ounce of material from a creature that hunts in packs - they appear to consider each other to be just as large a threat as Ivan (and Sky) and Lurgyan, splitting their attacks evenly between all three of their targets. Although Ivan and Lurgyan aren't used to working together, they at least aren't outright fighting one another - perhaps that is the key to winning this battle.

Challenge: fight back!
Restriction: must be an effect playable during combat... or a longer-lasting buff spell that you most definitely had cast earlier.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of teamwork... or your opponents' lack thereof
(note: you are currently in location 1)
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
@Pygyzy
Seamus leisurely checks out the closet. It looks like someone recently took a nap here. Sort of an odd place to take a nap, but on second glance, it actually appears to be surprisingly cozy. Some ragged cleric robes line the floor and make a nice pillow, while a few shiny coins make the closet gently twinkle with calming light. However, the most interesting object in the closet is definitely the totally inert tetrahedron. While most would disregard a tetrahedron as being the most useless of hedrons due to its total lack of magic abilities, it is capable of serving as an idol for those that are more magically inclined - this 'non-magic 4-anti-ball' is capable of giving answers to the curious. Or so Seamus believes, at least. He pockets it before moving on.
Idol of Curiosity
Show
Hide
Idol of Curiosity 2U
Artifact (U)
Idol of Curiosity enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your untap step.

Whenever you score 11.5 or less on a check, untap Idol of Curiousity.

: For the next 2 rounds, you get +3 on all checks to investigate an object, use an item or navigate an area.
"Reply hazy, try again later."
With the closet investigated (unless he wants to take a nap), the two other exits to the room beckon. One is the torn stone door (through which Seamus believes he may have heard some screaming, followed by silence), and the wooden door (which seems to be slighly more worn than was first apparent).

Challenge: continue investigating the room, or continue exploring.
Restriction: none!
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior ruin-delving experience.
Incredium
Show
Hide
@Incredium
Gamwatt's hedromites investigate the workshop, but it appears to be mostly abandoned. The stalactites also appear to be counterfeit, unfortunately - someone brought in stalagmites from outside and melded them onto the ceiling. What sort of maniac does that? The search does turn up a worn journal, but it appears to be the ravings of a madman and is mostly incomprehensible.

In the next room, Gamwatt finds a more familiar environment: the remains of a laboratory. It is filled with jars containing various creatures, although most of them appear to have been nonviable - their life signs are minimal, if any. Two of the jars appear to have been a bit too viable - they appear to have been shattered from the inside, although the creatures inside are now missing. Presumably prowling the ruins and being someone else's problem. Still, there are still a bunch of items and corpses scattered around the lab. Maybe one of them will prove to be useful?

Challenge: design an object or research subject you could find in the lab.
Restriction: If a creature, must be useful dead. If a noncreature, must justify how it will help you explore.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior laboratory experience
(note: you are currently in location 1)
Other Stuff
Next update planned for 11/3. I should be done moving by then.
Also, as a reminder for anyone that has been damaged: You naturally heal at a rate of 1 hp / action.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

The madman who created both of these abominations seemed to have an obsession with venomous stings. If they weren't both corrupted with the essence of darkness, both of them would make fantastic recruits for the Silverpaw. While they were well-known for their white lions in particular, particularly brave knights bonded with even wilder, more exotic creatures. A winged cat with the agility of a dragonfly was no exception...but alas, its heart appeared to be hardened to that possibility.

Ivan was still shaking from the cat's wings slashing and pounding the air around them, drowning out all other noise in the room - there was no way Lurgyan could hear him. When it looked like it was going to pounce, all three of the feline's eyes shifted toward a scorpion-like monstrosity. The two lunged past each other, trying to sting each other in the process. While Ivan now had to fight a creature that looked stronger than the slinking, buzzing cat, at least he could confirm that this was a battle with three sides, not two.

Given a reprieve from the pounding noise now that the three-eyed cat was dealing with Lurgyan now, Sky stood up and limped toward Ivan, lurching about in his dizziness. While he wasn't exactly good at blasting creatures with the elements, he could at least distract them for he, Sky, and Lurgyan to make a run for it...or let the minotaur finish them off. He rest his hands within Sky's fur before chanting a brief hymn that caused them to glow brightly, reflecting blinding light from all over his companion's fur. Light, he hoped, that these nocturnal-looking creatures weren't accustomed to. It would give them the window they needed!

Dawn's First Light 2W
Instant {U}
Tap target creature an opponent controls and each creature your opponents control that shares a color with it.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 7
Inv: Clue (1)
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Flavour - 3; Seeing some "druidic" actions from Ivan before, this seems as a good action for him to take.
Design - 2,5; While it makes sense against creatures you are facing, in vaccum I do not feel the color rider as a fitting one for traditional white tapping, similarity to Radiance aside. But it is minor nitpick.
Development - 3,0; While not necessarily not in Zendikar - where there was no "color-matter" theme, quite opposite even - it is a fine uncommon with right power level in an enviroment more similiar to Eldraine and such.
You are ignoring their infighting, blinding them both, so I do not think bonus applies here.
Luck - 3; (2+1) I am sorry.
Total: 11,5

——

The dust settled down with the last Kor succumbing to blade. Illenen looked at the boulder wall of Minotaur and was surprised to see it unscratched, despite cultists' onslaught. It was a testament to stone's power, no doubt. While minotaur was still busy with something, knight tried to open the wooden door, but they apear to be locked. Acknowledging risk of the doors being trapped, Illenen did not try to bulge them. He turned instead to minotaur.
"My name is Illenen, I am an errant knight. At your service and your family!"
"And I am Goreteg, nice to meet you."

They shook their hands.
Illenen takes some leftover Food and eats it from Kor's camping. He is getting hungry after those fights he had been in today and there is no saying when there will be another chance for eating.
"You can take those trinkets" he says to minotaur "I have little use of them. The door is locked. Try search for key."

Before Goreteg answers, Illenen goes with a lit torch to what appears to be kitchen, searching for keys and being wary of potential dangers.

Perceptivness
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
When Perceptivness enters the battlefield, scry 2.
Whenever you scry, enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
A good eye warrants a good survival chances.

While looking around, knight asks Minotaur some questions.
"Tell me Goreteg, does those torn open stone doors were your work? And what do you seek here, in those ruins?
——
Character
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS:
HP: 9/13
STR: 0/6 (0+6)
INV:

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Flavor: 3. This is great!
Design: 2. A 1-mana U instant that gives +2/+2 would be treading much too close to green and white's portions of the color pie, and this is functionally fairly similar.
Development: 3. Strong, but I don;t think it's busted since you need to keep scrying to power it.
Luck: 6 (4+2).
Bonus: 1. Wariness of potentially trapped doors should count, I think.
Total: 15

---

"Yes. Stone listens to me. And talks to me," Goreteg answers. "And I seek a worthy challenge."

To this the knight says nothing. Goreteg wonders if he is regretting depriving Goreteg of multiple kills. He should be. But at least he left Goreteg all of the loot. He sweeps both items into his pack, though it is now full to bursting.

"I have a journal," Goreteg says, opening it at random and reading from it. "Speak less and hear more." He stops reading and considers this. Then he closes his eyes and lowers his ear to the floor. Metal is not stone, and it does not speak like it, but it did come from the ground once and Goreteg had discovered on previous adventures that when a metal object is in contact with stone it gives off a faint whine, as if keening for the day when it was ripped out of the earth and boiled alive in a furnace. The knight moved about his investigations so quietly that Goreteg could just make out the faint sound of metal, somewhere within the cavern...

Listen to Nature G
Sorcery (C)
Scry 2, then look at the top two cards of your library. You may reveal a creature or land card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest back on top of your library in any order.
The forest offers many pleasing sights -- bright flowers, lush foliage, the russet hue of a fox's coat -- but its true beauty can only be appreciated with closed eyes.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Flavor - 2.5
Very literal, which is normally good, but this is not necessarily listening to anything "natural" in-context.
Design - 2.5
Obviously has a ton of precedent but the scry followed by a pseudoscry for the same amount is so pleasing.
Development - 3
Looks good to me.
Luck - 3
1+2
Bonus - 1
I'll call this prior experience, yeah
Total - 12

Lurgyan fumbles with, and finally manages to crack, a treasure, draining just enough blue mana from a piece of lapis lazuli to focus something big through his Runic Conduit - he weaves together both druidic and divine magic to create winds of pure fortune that drain the luck from the assailing creatures and give him and Ivan some timely boons.

Grip of Crosswinds 3BGU
Instant (U)
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.
Target nonland permanent gains protection from creatures and hexproof until end of turn.
Target nonland permanent loses all abilities until end of turn.
Fate can be an invigorating breeze or a bone-chilling gust.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
Lurgyan, Hazard Priest 1BG
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Pay 1 life: Target attacking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
"Don't run from this land's acrimony."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 3
Treasure x 2

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Checks you make involving other Clerics have a +2 bonus.
Mystery effect
Equip 2

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Not quite lucky enough for its former owner.
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost 2 less to cast.
Equip 2
(Equipped)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Incredium

Post by Incredium » 3 years ago

Flavor (3 points) - It feels like a whole bunch of different kinds of magic flying around at once and a lot is happening at the same time, which in other aspects might be a hinderance, but with the name of the card actually makes it fit flavor wise.
Design (2 points) - Its interesting as a Swiss Army knife of abilities, though they seem a little clunkier than a card like Sublime Epiphany where it's very clear what the card wants you to do with it (the omega blue control spell) This feels more like a whole bunch of cards just smashed together where I'm not sure what it really wants me to be doing with it other than just casting a big spell that does a bunch of kinda unrelated stuff at once. Almost wish the casting cost was lowered and it just gave me the option to choose two or something. It would feel a lot more streamlined that way I think.
Development (2. points): protection from creatures is mostly a white ability, I don't see how it would fit in any of the 3 colors presented. Otherwise seems like a pretty interesting potluck card.
Luck - 8 (4+4)
IT'S A CRIT BOYS

Total: 15.5 (Crit)

Gamwatt didn't like what he saw. It all seemed a bit too similar. All the tubes, the bodies, the strange symbols. It all reminded him of the people who made him. Was that why he was compelled to come here? Could whoever built this place have answers about the strange hallucinatory voices he'd been hearing?

Something caught his eye among the mess. Perhaps it wasn't the sight of it itself that drew him, but rather a warm, jittery feeling that began to push him towards it. There, nestled within the many vats of creatures, there was a small machine. He could hear it wirring softly. Others may have thought nothing of it, but for Gamwatt, it was like the thing had a gravity to it. Without thought, he walked over to the machine in a trancelike state. Which of course he needed to go there, why not? That's where they kept the oculus. They what? Oh the oculus, yeah I know what that is.

Wait hold on, why the heck do I know what that is? Wait I minute... I don't know what that is! Brain, what are you talking about?!

He proceeded to pull a lever on the contraption and punch in a code into it. How he knew to do this was anyone's guess. This... this wasn't anything he had ever done before, and it was beginning to make Gamwatt thoroughly uneasy.

Suddenly, a springlocked latch opened. Inside, an odd looking object that he could only assume was the power source of the machine hovered in glowing red light. It looked like an eye forged out of some sort of crystal. He recognized a hedronic rune etched on its pupil. Small red sparks and arcs of energy zapped at the edges.

With a jolt, the arcs of electricity danced across his hand. With it, a flood of visions began to pour into him. They were distorted, it took every ounce of willpower he had just to sift through the coming tide of images. He saw someone standing in this room, he saw a flicker of light, he saw DNA dancing across a chemical plane and rearranging in arcs of light. He saw vines growing over the laboratory walls. He saw symbols etched into flesh and iron. He knew not what any of it meant, and yet somehow he knew it was all linked into something very, very important .

Gamwatt lost his balance as the flurry of images faded, falling into his back with a loud CLANK. Incredulously, he rubbed his head. It took him a few moments to reorient himself into reality. However, something told him that he should hold onto this little device. The more he held onto it, the more it felt like this place was becoming familiar to him...

//

Mysterious Oculus 2u
Artifact (R)

When Mysterious Oculus enters the battlefield, scry 2.

t: add uu. Mysterious Oculus's owner shuffles Mysterious Oculus into their library. If you have shuffled a card named Mysterious Oculus into your library 4 or more times this game, you may search your library for an artifact card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

//
Character Sheet - Gamwatt
Show
Hide
Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary 1ub
Legendary Artifact Creature - Rogue (R)
Flash
Whenever Gamwatt, Metallic Mercenary deals combat damage to a player, that player mills that many cards. For each creature or artifact card milled this way, create a 1/1 colorless construct artifact creature token.
"You guys really should have reconsidered giving an experimental hedron based construct sentience. Honestly, anything weird I do from here on out is pretty much your fault."
2/4

HP: 14/14
Strength: 7
Inventory: Treasure (1)
Restorative Amulet
Show
Hide
Protective Amulet ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Equipped creature heals 1 additional point of health each round.

Mookie

Apologies for the delay. Yesterday was.... distracting.

Incredium
Flavor: 3 - welp, that just raises further questions.
Design: 1.5 - not really feeling it here. This sort of just feels weird to me.
Development: 2 - scry + shuffle has some awkward anti-synergy. I think I'd be happier if it were fourth from the top or something, although at that point the scrying may need to be tweaked into actual card draw. Hmmm.... I have concern re: memory issues, but if Yidaro, Wandering Monster can get away with it at rare, it should be fine. Also, minor nit that '4' should be spelled out.
Luck: 5 (1+4)
Bonus: 2 - I was hoping for something sweet when I requested something laboratory-related from you, and you did not disappoint (can I give an extra bonus point here? yes I can, I'm the GM. :P)
Total: 13.5

Outcomes and Challenges:
RaikouRider and void_nothing
Show
Hide
@RaikouRider and @void_nothing
The several-sided battle between the monsters, Ivan, and Lurgyan continues. During a brief interlude while the monsters are fighting one another, Ivan unleashes a flash of light in hopes of serving as a distraction. Unfortunately, it seems to have been poorly timed - by the time he is ready to unleash the spell, the monsters are on the other side of the room, and they are largely unaffected by it.

On the other hand, Lurgyan's efforts are significantly more successful. With a massive burst of energy, a whirlwind of chaos is unleashed upon the room. Papers and trinkets on workbenches go flying about and some of them end up striking still-intact containers. Several of those containers shatter, and one of them - containing what appears to be a dessicated half-humanoid, half-insectoid corpse - spews all over one of the monsters, which immediately begins screeching. Seconds later, its distress becomes clear as it rapidly grows, molts, sheds, grows, molts, sheds, and so on... until seconds later, it collapses into dust, as if it had aged a thousand years. With everything flying about, Lurgyan himself is also a bit disoriented, but he strikes out somewhat blindly in the confusion. This results in a lucky blow, drawing a large amount of green blood from the other monster, which appears to have been dazed by the maelstrom. It appears to be greatly weakened.

Unfortunately, most of the logs and notes kept in the laboratory seem to have been ruined in the fight - either torn to shreds by the monsters, or dissolved by acid. One of the few items that is still salvageable is a small Talisman bearing the iconography of the goddess Emeria, which the adventurers claim. In addition, a secret panel was knocked loose, revealing a small (but locked) safe.
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
If you would gain life, you gain that much life plus one instead. (this includes natural lifegain)
Sacrifice Emeria Talisman: Until end of turn, you may spend mana as if it were white mana.
The goddess Emeria offers her grace to those that gaze ever higher.
Challenge(s): Finish off the remaining monster AND open the safe!
Restrictions: none, although you may want to be gentle with the safe (and careful with the monster - wounded monsters tend to fight back)
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience
(note: you are in location 1)
Lorn Asbord Schutta and slimytrout
Show
Hide
@Lorn Asbord Schutta and @slimytrout
Illenen investigates the kitchen, which contains additional Food (x1), as one may expect. It actually appears as if the clerics' stocks are running low, and will last only a day or so longer. Perhaps they have additional food in storage elsewhere? Or they're waiting on a resupply? It couldn't be that they're only planning to leave soon, could it? Without interrogating one of the clerics, it will be difficult to determine exactly why they have so few supplies left. Regardless, there don't appear to be any additional reinforcements hiding in the kitchen.

That said, upon a bit of further investigation of the cooking area, something still seems off to Illenen. He takes another look, and realizes something - one of the cooking pans.... isn't a pan at all! It appears that someone was using a shield to cook food in, which seems... irresponsible, really. Illenen removes it from the open flame it was on and shakes it off before examining it. He notes that it isn't even warm to the touch, and seems entirely clean, as if a mystic barrier were protecting it from grime. Perhaps that was why it was being used as a cooking vessel?
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +0/+1
Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Equip
Meanwhile, back in the dining area, Goreteg listens to the earth in an effort to learn more. Other than the soft clanking of the knight in the other room, there doesn't seem to be any other movement nearby. There may be some faint clashing of combat in the distance, but it is rather far off. However, it does seem like there is a faint rumbling coming from deeper into the ruins, as if something massive were being moved. It isn't immediately obvious what it could be, but it probably isn't a good sign either.

Regardless, with the meal area largely covered, it seems like time to move on. A locked wooden door awaits, or the pair could turn back to the torn-open stone door the came in through.
Challenge: continue exploring!
Restriction: none, although it's probably not a great idea to stay here too long
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior dungeon-delving experience
(note: you are in locations 16 and 11)
Incredium
Show
Hide
@Incredium
Visions rush through Gamwatt's head. Are they... his memories? Memories of the Oculus's previous owner? Or visions of things yet to come? It feels almost as if it were a dreamlike state... or what Gamwatt imagines dreams to be like, given that he doesn't actually dream. Things both feel very real and totally illusory at the same time. Regardless, after finally snapping out of his trance, Gamwatt pockets the Mysterious Oculus. Perhaps it will come in handy sometime.
Mysterious Oculus
Show
Hide
Mysterious Oculus
Artifact - <REDACTED>
<REDACTED>
---?
Still, the contents of this laboratory feel... incredibly unnatural. Upon further examination, many of the corpses in the containers appear to have been spliced together from multiple sources. Animals, humanoids, chunks of metal... even some chunks of elementals appear to be present. The last one is particularly strange, since elementals usually collapse into their composing elements upon death. The symbols covering the various containers are all rather arcane, and don't appear to match with any symbols that Gamwatt recognizes. There are some research notes that could have explained things further, but large chunks of them appear to be missing. The title also appears somewhat nonsensical - Transient Perpetuation via Amalgamated Simulacrae.

Gamwatt also turns his gaze onwards. It appears that there is only one exit from this room other than the way he came in, a sturdy wooden door that appears to be covered in more familiar runes - warding and protection. They look to be primarily focused on keeping the contents of this laboratory locked inside.

Challenge: continue investigating the lab, or continue exploring
Restriction: none!
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience
Other Stuff
Decided to do something slightly different this round. We'll see if anyone notices. Otherwise, next update planned for 11/7.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

This may have slipped some people's notice so I'm going to give it a bump (and make my post tomorrow).

Mookie

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
This may have slipped some people's notice so I'm going to give it a bump (and make my post tomorrow).
If there aren't enough posts, I'll probably bump it back another day. After being a day late last round, I may have forgotten what frequency I was using and overcompensated in the other direction.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Awake from Slumber W
Instant (R)
Return to the battlefield target card you own in exile that was put there from the battlefield this turn.
Draw a card.

Seamus' eyes snap open. Apparently he'd fallen asleep in the cozy closet. Probably a sleep trap. Stuffing the idol he'd been clutching in his backpack he exits towards the stone door.

Eerie silence preceded by a commotion means easy pickings. Maybe Seamus will find a Gruesome Scene. Those are his favorite.

Fine Dagger 2R
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
If there are exactly two permanents named Fine Dagger on the battlefield, the "legend rule" doesn't apply to them.
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has bushido 1 for each permanent named Fine Dagger equipped to it.
Equip

RaikouRider

@Pygyzy

Flavor: 3 - Spot on.
Design: 1.5 - I'm not sure this kind of design space should be explored; Play Design has repeatedly said they do not want to turn the exile zone into a second graveyard. The concept is fine; it's more the design space this treads on.
Development: 3 - This is in the correct color and costed properly. Assuming this gets past design, I see no problems with this card in pie or balance. Rare is absolutely right for this kind of effect. This probably won't feel too good to open in a pack, though, but that's another problem outside of development.
Luck: 7 - {4} + {3}
Total: 14.5

"Nice one!" Ivan cheered for his new partner now that the loud buzzing had subsided. With the stroke of luck granted from Lurgyan's exhausting-looking spell, he was confident Sky would be able to finish off the horned scorpion with ease. As the druidic fighter rounded the room, he grabbed the Talisman of Emeria that his friend had found, given the cleric had previously mentioned being overburdened. He took one last look at the feline Lurgyan had taken down. As gross as it was, it might be a story to share with some more daring members of the Silverpaw.

Now, there was that safe. There was a question of whether or not the safe was magicked. While his breed of magic wasn't exactly great at breaking and entering, there was one idea he had. His first thought was to try to break the safe itself. Crushing it under magicked foliage seemed like a good idea, but that could trigger a trap of some kind. He needed a way to get inside the safe without destroying it. Then, it came to him.

What if he made the safe disappear around its contents? If the safe was magicked, it probably wouldn't work...but there was only one way to find out. He rest his right hand on top of the small safe, his hand glowing white. Half-closing his eyes, he hoped his magic was strong enough to at least unmake the device long enough to pilfer, or at least view, its contents.

Etherealize 1W
Instant {U}
Target nonland permanent phases out. It can't phase in during its controller's next turn. (While it's phased out, treat that permanent as though it doesn't exist.)
"You need to go in time-out."
Sheet
Show
Hide
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 4/7
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
If you would gain life, you gain that much life plus one instead. (this includes natural lifegain)
Sacrifice Emeria Talisman: Until end of turn, you may spend mana as if it were white mana.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

RaikouRider
Flavour - 3; Good one!
Design - 2,5 It is not weaponized flicker, more of white spin-of of blue cards like Take into Custody, though it might double down as a defensive spell, much more in line with white philosophy. However, it remains to be seen if white will take phasing into its slice in modern pie (there is a Teferi's Protection, but I would consider it still a stand-out and from older cards there is only Equipoise that does not requires blue for phasing).
Development - 1,5; It might be little too strong, since the direct comparison is aforementioned "freezing" style cards and this is more potent as it not only deals with any nonland - most freezers deal only with creatures - not only it cannot be disrupted by untap effects and could be used in pinch for saving something truly important on your side, but it also much more powerful soft-removal then merely tapping.
Bonus +1; Definitely a seasoned adventurer would be the one to be wary of traps having a wounded monstrosity just behind them.
Luck - 5 (2+3)
Total: 13
——

No sign of keys, sadly. Illenen takes the Food with him, no reason to let it rot here. Likewise, he takes the Radiant Wardshield and straps it to his back. His current shield is badly mangled after intercourse with that Kor outside of ruins, but it still may serve its duty, for now.

Knight returns to main room.
"Have you found anything?" He asks Goreteg. "Anything to pass those doors?"
"No, nothing." replies minotaur. "But there is something big down there. Bigger then I. Huge.
"And how you would know it?"
"Because I've heard it moving. Or at least being moved. But in this case, the thing moving that is even bigger."
"You does seem weirdly satisfied."
"I hope it is coming towards us." says Goreteg, grinning as if a gladiator before entering arena.
Illenen does not share the sentiment. He have had enough of challanges in his life already and the last remnants of competing spirit in him were quelled during Eldrazi outbreak. Now it was duty that pushed him forward. And he have learned that seeking additional problems could distract you from those in which you were needed.

Knight starts to calmly state his opinions toward minotaur, hoping that two of them could figure out something.

Composed Planing
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, if you gained 4 or more life this turn, draw a card.
Whenever you draw a second card during each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Through stoic calmness, clarity of thought. Through clarity of thought, assured victory.

"Doors here are locked and I can only assume that they may be trapped as well. But I am not a person inclined towards proving this theory on my own flesh. I guess you are not such person as well, Goreteg.
Keys are nowhere to be found and it seems that breaking those door are the only option to proceed forwards. It might not be what we seek though - there were other routes before this hallway and at the very entrance as well.
Yet, I advise against it. If those cultists stationed here and locked those doors, yet they have no keys with themselves, it either means that they have not passed behind those doors - and with the rumors surrounding this ruins, I am inclined to pass them - or there are another of their kind on the other side, which also warrants proceeding further.
Could you kindly, Goreteg, torn those doors down? You seem to be more capable of this then I, especially with your... stoneworking gift, for no better name of it."

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS:
INV:
Food
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Equip

slimytrout

Flavor: 2.5. The second trigger makes total sense, but I'm not sure what lifegain has to do with planning.
Design: 2. Pretty weird to have the first trigger be before combat, since one of the main ways to gain life is with lifelink creatures, which don't work at all with this. So you likely have to have used a card to trigger this, which makes drawing a card not that great.
Development: 2.5. A bit on the weak side due to the trigger timing, but if you have some way to go off with it it can be very good, drawing cards and pumping your team.
Luck: 6 (4+2)
Total: 13

---

"With pleasure," Goreteg grunts. He's never enjoyed subtlety.

He eyes the door. His preference would be to rip it off its hinges, since that is less likely to trigger any traps, but the hinges look strong. He raps on the wood. Too strong to muscle through it -- on rainy days his shoulder still ached a bit from the time he dislocated it trying to bash down a door. Fortunately he had a fallback plan -- although he didn't relish the idea of going through the door headfirst, at least he had the knight to back him up. With a running start, he crashed into the door with his horns.

Smash to Splinters RG
Instant (C)
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Ferocious - If you control a creature with power 4 or greater, Smash to Splinters deals 4 damage to that permanent's controller.
All of a sudden, the barricade burst, showering the sentries with a hail of splinters.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."

3/3

Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Flavor - 3
Spot-on.
Design - 2
Perfectly solid but a variant on something that is made at least once per set, so nothing all that innovative.
Development - 2
4 damage is a lot for this card, especially at common.
Luck - 6
3+3
Bonus - 1
Wow, Goreteg sure has a long resume of smashing into things.
Total - 14

Lurgyan's sour about two things - the fact that it's his fault that the room is now in tatters and any knowledge that could have been gleaned from it is really and truly lost; and the fact that Ivan is mucking with a safe with a dying-but-not-yet-dead monster in the room. Still, it looks like the liontamer is succeeding in his loot finding effort, so Lurgyan does what a conscientious priest would do and puts the second monster out of its misery, severing the last of its life with a quick spell. He also pauses to consider that he's not wearing his Mysterious Amulet yet and slips it on, because who can tell when he's going to need it at this point?

Cull the Wounded B
Instant (U)
Target player sacrifices a permanent that was dealt damage this turn.
Scry 1.
There are times when mercy is not a pleasant thing.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
2/2

HP 12 (12 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 3
Treasure x 2

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Mystery effect
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

void_nothing
Flavor – 3
It's a nice show of character here, being able to see what Lurgyan dislikes about Ivan's actions, and seeing a Vampire being the one of the pair that's merciful is a nice read.
Design – 3
A sacrifice effect with restriction on what they can sacrifice is pretty innovative, and it's not overly powerful unless paired with synergistic cards.
Development – 3
Can either be fairly useless or incredibly specific removal depending on how you build with it in mind. And the scry means this you'll always be able to get some use out of it.
Luck – 5
3+2
Bonus – 1
Total - 15

As Gumuz made his way down the dark hallway, he felt a sudden drop in temperature as spectral presences made themselves known to him, wailing in his ear to join their ranks. Spectres and shades were nothing new to Gumuz, the underground was full of them and far worse, and he had seen some of them pick off his less intelligent brethren. Shades were fairly straightforward hunters if not grim ones. They attack the minds of the living, reducing them to a helpless pile of meat as they devour their souls with no resistance. The trick to dealing with them is to either fortify your mind, something far beyond Gumuz's capabilities, or convince it that you've already died. After all, a spirit won't try and suck your soul out if it doesn't think you have one.

Trying his best to ignore the ghost's howls and pleas to give in to them, Gumuz started weaving his spell, summoning strands of dark mana to bury into his own flesh, sapping his life force to serve as the basis of the spell's weave. The necrotic energy twisted inside him as parts of his body began to rapidly decay, slowly transforming Gumuz into a wretched, undead vision of himself. As much as this spell had helped him in the past, he can't help but hate they way it makes him seem, as it serves him as a reminder of what may happen should he keep on failing his masters. Part of him prayed that they were watching from the Deep Below, keeping an eager eye on their servant; and part of him wished that they weren't, for fear of their wrath should he fail.

Though his senses were now fully dulled, Gumuz could still hear that the screams had stopped. The spirits must have moved away in search of something more appetizing. But it still wasn't safe to dispel the enchantment. Gumuz steadily limped down the hallway, making sure not to leave behind any parts of him that may have fallen off.

Mantle of Undeath 1B
Enchantment — Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant creature
B: Regenerate enchanted creature.

Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Gumuz of the Dark-Dwellers 1BR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Warlock (R)
Menace
Whenever Gumuz of the Dark-Dweller attacks, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played it, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
Searching for power unbridled on behalf of forces unseen.
3/2
Current HP: 7/12
STRENGTH: 8 (3+5)

Mookie

Subject16
Flavor: 3 - you are now a spooky skeleton
Design: 3 - yeah, this looks like a perfect fit.
Development: 2 - slightly underpowered at uncommon - see Skeletal Grimace. This was a tough restriction though.
Bonus: 1
Luck: 5 (3+2)
Total: 14

Outcomes and Challenges
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
@Pygyzy
Seamus stroll through the stone doors to a rather gruesome scene indeed. Bread, vegetables, pieces of unidentified meat, and several bottles of wine are strewn about the room, as are several broken tables and chairs. It looks like there was some sort of terrible food fight! This wasted food is absolutely inexcusable. Based on the temperature of the food, it seems to have happened pretty recently - definitely recently enough for the 'five second rule' to make the Food perfectly safe, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Oh, and there are also a few corpses in various states of dismemberment. But that seems positively mundane in comparison. They all appear to members of the Kor cleric order occupying these ruins.

The victors of the fight are nowhere to be found. It looks like other than the way Seamus came in, there are two ways to exit the dining area. One is through a doorway that appears to lead to a kitchen, while the other is through a simple wooden door that appears to be locked.

Challenge: continue exploring
Restriction: No more waste! Your spell can not put any cards into the graveyard.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior dining-related experience
(note: you are currently in location 16)
RaikouRider and void_nothing
Show
Hide
@RaikouRider and @void_nothing
With a quick spell, Lurgyan finishes off the dying monster. For creatures already so close to death, it doesn't take much to send them over the edge. With that, he goes to join Ivan in examining the safe.

As he arrives, Ivan finishes weaving his spell, turning the safe ethereal. It is a rather strenuous effort - the safe is made of a sturdy material, and is tightly bound to the plane. However, after a bit of discussion, Lurgyan is able to assist while Ivan concentrates. He successfully retrieves the contents of the safe: a tightly bound book.
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge
Show
Hide
Artifact (M)
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge starts with three page counters on it.
, , remove a page counter from the Tome and pay one or more life: Ask a question. You will get a yes or no answer. If you paid at least three life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid enough life to drop to one hit point (minimum 7), you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?" "YES."
The book is... very clearly alien, even by the standards of the notes the pair had already found in the lab. It appears to be bound in some sort of creature's skin, but... not any creature the pair is able to identify. Opening the book and gazing at the contents immediately gives the pair a splitting headache. Inside are cryptic writing in dark, reddish ink and.. pictures which look oddly similar to the creatures they fought, but... even more mutated and bizarre. Perhaps whoever was running this laboratory was using it as an instruction manual?

After a few moments, the pain of the headache grows unbearable, inflicting 2 points of damage on each member of the pair, who promptly force it closed. And yet, on the edges of their consciousness, something seems to whisper to them.

.....welp, that's not suspicious at all.

Anyway.... the laboratory has at this point been mostly examined, although it's always possible the pair may have missed something. There is still a locked and sturdy-looking wooded door blocking the other exit.

Restriction: Reading the book was... unsettling. Your card must be a color pie bend.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior laboratory-related experience.
Lorn Asbord Schutta and slimytrout
Show
Hide
@slimytrout:
With a loud CRASH, Goreteg bursts through the door into the next room. He pauses a moment - there isn't any screaming or shouting, so there don't seem to be any enemies in the room. With a breath of relief (or disappointment), he shifts his posture and begins to look around the room. Two things immediately catch his attention.
Firstly, someone has scrawled 'IT'S A TRAP' on the wall to his left.
Secondly, a loud 'click' sound came from the floor when he shifted his posture.

Challenge: it's a trap!
Restriction: must be a card with the subtype 'trap'. (You may assume any condition on the trap has been met)
Bonus: +1 if the trap does something other than damage.

@Lorn Asbord Schutta:
Illenen watches Goreteg force his way through the door, followed by his surprised exclamation as a trap is triggered. Fortunately, Illenen was prepared for this development, and is ready to assist his ally.

Challenge: help with the trap!
Restriction: if it's something you're casting right now, must be an instant. If you cast something beforehand, must be an aura.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience interacting with traps
(note: you are currently in location 19)
Subject16
Show
Hide
@Subject16
As Gumuz's life force fades, so too does the activity of the spirits. It seems they have no interest in their fellow dead, as they wander off in search of the living. With the situation resolved, Gumuz is able to make it to the end of the hallway without further incident, emerging through an archway into what seems to be some sort of break room. A cloaked kor is collapsed and sleeping on the side of the room, but they don't appear to stir at Gumuz's entrance. There are a few mostly-empty bottles lying without reach of them.

Other than the sleeping figure, there are a few trinkets and baubles lying around, but nothing obviously valuable. In addition, there are two other exits from this room. One is a closed wooden door in the corner furthest from the kor, while the other is a slightly ajar stone door in the corner closer to the kor. Through that door, you can faintly hear the sound of heavy breathing and the smell of blood.

Restriction: you'll want to be sneaky, to not immediately wake up the sleeper. Your card may not affect the battlefield in any perceptible way.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior sneaking experience
Other Stuff:
As a FYI, I often have '+1 if you can make use of prior experience' as a bonus for challenges. This is intended as a way for people to inject character and backstory into their actions - I assume most of the characters have been adventurers for a while, so feel free to elaborate on how they usually operate, and what sort of things they've done in the past.

Anyway, next update planned for 11/11. As such, all perfectly symmetric cards will also get +1 point. (that might be a joke)

slimytrout

Click. Goreteg froze. For a moment everything was still, allowing Goreteg to hope that it was a creature trap -- he'd be more than happy to fight a baloth or a dreadwurm even if he didn't have to. Then he felt something brush against his foot, and instinctively tried to leap away, but it was too late: he was caught. He looked down to see a vine wrapped around his calf. He tried to pull a hatchet from his belt to cut himself free, but another vine sprang from the ground, pinning his arm to his side. Goreteg's muscles strained, but he couldn't pull himself out. Fortunately, the vines didn't seem to be trying to hurt him, at least for now -- they continued to slither up his torso, fully covering him in foliage, but he felt nothing more than a tickle.

Overgrowth Trap 3G
Instant - Trap (U)
If a permanent you control is the target of a spell or ability you don't control, you may pay G rather than Overgrowth Trap's mana cost.
Target permanent gains hexproof until end of turn. Search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample

3/3

Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Slimytrout
Flavour - 2,5; Much more defensive then most of Traps and what "trap" mean as well, but overall makes sense.
Design - 2; I think being overgrown with Island is somewhat silly, I would much more prefer if it said "search for Forest". Also, it is very broad in terms of condition to be honest, maybe even too much.
Development - 2; Makes sense mechanically, but I cannot shake the feeling of Veil of Summer when looking at this card. It is weaker in the sense that it does not grant heproof to all board and card draw is little better then just ramp, but it has similiar reactionary advantage.
Bonus +1;
Luck - 6 (3+3)
Total: 13,5
——

Illenen watches agape as Goreteg charges into wooden door. So after all minotaur was a person willing to find out existance of traps with his own flesh. At least it worked and Goreteg passed firmly through door.

Before knight had time to move, there was an undeniable click of gears. So there were traps after all. Illenen tossed out his mangled shield, equipping Radiant Warshield instead, knowing that dealing with traps was not the best moment to take a risk. He ran towards Goreteg, ready to either push minotaur further or shield him, depending on trap in question.

Before knight reached his companion, the firm vines engulfed Goreteg. They did not looked harmful yet, but it could be a matter of time before they will. Illenen knew, that many traps worked in stages, tu lure allies of trapped individuals before they advance with more lethal approach. Other simply repeated themselves after some time, so either way he should hurry helping minotaur. Illenen starts to cut th magical foliage, trying to get Goreteg out. Depending if his companion passed out or is just little bruised, knight will either pull him to some safer place, or will tend any wounds with his basic knowledge of first aid.

Field Aid
Instant (U)
Choose one:
  • Return target creature you control to its owner's hand.
  • Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control that was dealt damage this turn.
Medical treatment hinges on quick decisions. Even more so during fights.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: +0/+1 (Radiant Warshield)
HP: 13/14
INV:
Food
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor - 3
This seems like exactly what Goreteg needs right now, so Illenen is being a good paladin.
Design - 2
Both pretty old types of effects for white but putting them together is new.
Development - 3
Could almost be common but a versatile combat trick like this could be fairly complicated.
Luck - 8
4+4 - A crit!!!
Bonus - 1
Seems like some medical experience was put to use.
Total - 17

Lurgyan wants that book. He doesn't have the strength to carry it right now, especially with the thumping pain of the headache that very book just gave him... but although he puts it into Ivan's possession his mind is already whirling with what he should be using as a bargaining chip to get the tome off the Silverpaw rider. And yet, he knows just how many other secrets these ruins must hide and is just as eager to get a look at them - he resolves to follow Ivan's lead for now but encourages him to be bold with inspiring words laced slightly with magic. Lurgyan has confidence that whichever way Ivan goes the two of them will be very successful indeed.

Bloody Undertaking XBB
Sorcery (U)
Until end of turn, up to X target creatures you control gain first strike and lifelink and must be blocked each combat if able.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
• Hexproof
2/2

HP 12 (10 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 3
Treasure x 2

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Mystery effect
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip 2
(Equipped)

RaikouRider

@void_nothing
Flavor: 2.5 - Spot on, but there's room for flavor text.
Design: 3 - This is definitely a bend in black, as was required for the challenge. First strike and lifelink are fine in black, but the last clause has only been done on one card before in black Deadly Allure. Uncommon is correct.
Development: 2 - Seems like a good way to break board stalls in Limited. My only complaint is this card is very weak at low values of X.
Luck: 4 - {1} + {3}
Bonus: 1
Total: 12.5

As Ivan skimmed through the tome, he found he could not comprehend any of the words. The moment he saw pictures of horribly mutated creatures that made the buzzing feline look almost natural, his head started ringing again, like another one of those creatures were nearby. After about three pictures, he slammed the tome shut as he cried out in pain from what felt like a direct attack on the mind. Sky ran to his side, looking rather confused. Once Ivan stopped screaming, the feline stood at his side and sat down, as if beckoning him to hop on. "Thanks, but I'll be fine...for now. I think."

Clearly the tome was valuable...but its kind of eldritch magic was clearly not meant to be wielded by people. It was far too dangerous for his tastes. At least it didn't seem like this book would outright harm him just for carrying it, unlike some other forbidden tomes he had heard stories of. At least not yet. If another headache like that came on, though, he would want no more to do with it. For now, it would be a bargaining tool, since it seemed Lurgyan was interested in it.

After he stuffed the tome with the rest of his things, he suddenly felt a bit of weakness in his legs. "Actually I changed my mind, buddy. If you wouldn't mind?" Sky let out a purr of empathy and nodded, Ivan hopping aboard the white predator, though he couldn't go too much faster than a walk, and if the ceiling ever got too low, he would need to dismount. He turned toward Lurgyan. "Now that we're done here, I thought I heard a loud crash by the entrance. I want to see what happened." With that, the two led the way back to the entrance chamber.

---

No card this time. You said those weren't necessarily needed every post, right?
Sheet
Show
Hide
2/2

HP: 10/12
STR: 2/7
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
Show
Hide
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge1C
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?"
"YES."

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

I guess since there's no card to evaluate I just don't? What's the precedent for this?

Gumuz paused at the entrance to the stone room, being sure to keep the sleeping kor in sight. He couldn't quite make it out, but he was sure that more people lied beyond the stoneworked door the kor lied in front of. Perhaps they were meant to guard the door and fell asleep? No matter. Gumuz was still recovering from his wounds and in no position to start a fight, especially against multiple opponents. He would have to sneak past and make his way through the wooden door. Fortunately, sneaking past dangerous foes was something Gumuz had been doing all his life. Sneaking past geopedes as a young goblin, avoiding the eldrazi threat, and sneaking through the caverns of the deep below. Every time, Gumuz had found a way through, and this would not be the last.

Weighing his options, he decided on preventing the sleeping kor from waking up. He recalled a spell woven by the Dark-Dwellers on dormant rival clans, one that trapped them inside their dreams, to be tormented by their own thoughts. Calling dark strands of magic from his own mind, Gumuz fashioned a pitch-black ring of mana and sent it forth towards the sleeping kor, wrapping it around his head, like a crown of nightmares. That should give Gumuz plenty of time to pass through the room before the kor wakes up.

Endless Nightmare BBB
Enchantment — Aura Curse (R)
Enchant player
Whenever enchanted player mills one or more cards, that player reveals their hand and discards all nonland cards that share a name with a card milled this way.
"I saw all my shame and regret, and they saw me too."
—Jula, Kor Sentry

Sheet
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Gumuz of the Dark-Dwellers 1BR
Legendary Creature — Goblin Warlock (R)
Menace
Whenever Gumuz of the Dark-Dweller attacks, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played it, put it into your hand and you lose life equal to its converted mana cost.
Searching for power unbridled on behalf of forces unseen.
3/2
Current HP: 8/12
STRENGTH: 8 (3+5)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”