[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Re: no card - I don't think there's precedent for this, but I do recall mentioning it as an option previously. In this case, I'd rule it as a 'no action' - Ivan was just interacting with Lurgyan this round, which doesn't really require a check. Referencing D&D rules, you generally don't need to do a check with another player character unless you're specifically trying to manipulate or deceive them - if you're just discussing something or communicating information, no check is necessary. That said, while there isn't a chance of a failure (due to the lack of check), there also isn't a chance of a significant gain either.

Anyway....
Subject16:
Flavor: 3 - stop them from waking up by trapping them in nightmares? Seems legit.
Design: 2.5 - I'm not totally sold on this being endless, but nightmares are generally related to mill or discard, so sure.
Development: 1.5 - at BBB, I feel like I would expect more from this.
Luck: 5 (1+3)
Bonus: +1 - a long history of sneaking
Total: 13

Outcomes and Challenges:
slimytrout and Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta
With a burst of growth, the vines grapple Goreteg, pinning him in place. They seem to be very sturdy, making it difficult to escape, even for a minotaur. The trap doesn't appear to be immediately lethal - rather, it seems designed to lock an intruder in place. It's not clear what the exact intent of that trap is after that has been accomplished - in the wild, this type of plant would generally just trap its victim until it dies of starvation, at which point it would use that adventurer's corpse as nourishment. However, given that these ruins are inhabited, it seems more likely that it was set up as a way to capture intruders for interrogation. Either way, Goreteg struggles a bit, but is unable to free himself.

Fortunately, Goreteg isn't alone in this - Illenen is available to assist. With a careful hand, Illenen first makes sure that Goreteg is safe, then begins to cut him free. A few moments later, the plant is successfully dismantled, and Goreteg is freed. With that done, Illenen investigates the trap more thoroughly - it appears that Goreteg wasn't the first victim, as some worn bones can be found scattered around it, along with two ripe pieces of fruit.
Blood Fruit
Show
Hide
Blood Fruit
Artifact - Food (R)
, , eat Blood Fruit: you gain 2d6 temporary hit points. (temporary hit points last until they are lost)
Along with the fruit, Illenen also finds a scrawled note among the bones. It seems like some of the ink is worn away, but says:
---need more sacrifices. Ayli says we------ose to completing the rit------ut it feels like mor------ are being fe-----every day. I believ------oal is worthy, but I do------at merfolk she bro------ill, if our go------y are returning, it is on------er for us t-------re a feast.

With the trap dealt with, Goreteg and Illenen take a moment to look around the room. The most notable feature are several alcoves cut into the sides of the walls - there are elaborate carvings in those alcoves, surrounded by candles. It appears like they may be religious in nature - many of the carvings feature angels with halos shrouding their eyes and a masked knight wielding a scythe. Other than that, there are two other obvious exits to the room. One is a sturdy-looking door covered in more elaborate carvings, while the other exit is a simpler door that appears to be locked.

Challenge: continue exploring!
Restriction: none, although if you make too much noise, guards may be alerted.
Bonus: +1 point if you can identify the carvings.
(note: you are in location 19)
void_nothing and RaikouRider
Show
Hide
@void_nothing and @RaikouRider
Somewhat worn out from their battles (both physical and mental), Ivan and Sky make their way back through the workshop and the mural room towards the entrance, followed by Lurgyan (assuming you decide to follow). The way back seems to be significantly faster now that all the traps and barriers have been dealt with (assuming the group doesn't stop to investigate any of the rooms further).

In contrast, as soon as they reach the fork immediately in front of the entrance, the cause of the earlier crash becomes clear. It appears that there was a cave-in in the other fork, likely triggered by a trap. That route appears to be partially blocked by stone and rubble - it may still be possible to squeeze through, but the passageway appears to be rather dark and treacherous. Additionally, it would be very difficult to navigate quickly if, for example, one needed to flee suddenly. (not that these ruins are going to collapse when some sort of self-destruct sequence is set off, of course. that would be silly)

There appear to be two possibilities for the pair to continue onwards: they could traverse the rubble-filled hallway, or they could attempt to bypass the remaining door in the laboratory.

Challenge: continue exploring
Restriction: none, although guards may show up if you're too loud.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience with the route you choose (traversing rubble or opening the locked door)
Subject16
Show
Hide
@Subject16
Gumuz thinks dark thoughts, and the kor responds by curling up and whimpering in their sleep, which appears to have become rather distressing. Still, it doesn't seem like they will be able to wake up on their own any time soon. With that situation resolved, Gumuz feels like he can act a bit more freely without needing to worry about the sleeper. It's still possible that someone will show up to check in at some point, but that probably won't happen for a while.

Challenge: continue investigating
Restriction: none, although it's still possible a guard may come by if you're too loud.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of the (now very distressed) sleeping kor
Other Stuff
I moved to a new apartment recently, which has helped immensely with my sleep schedule... but also means that I'm no longer always up when I used to be doing updates for this. Will try to get these updates done earlier in the day, I suppose.
Anyway, next update tentatively planned for 11/16.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

No RP post yet but giving this a bump.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mookie

Still no submissions, so I'm bumping back the deadline by a day, to 11/17.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Goreteg brushes himself off and gruffly thanks the knight for freeing him. Goreteg looks forward to meeting whoever laid this trap -- traps and snares are a dishonorable form of combat, and he will make sure they pay for their subterfuge in blood.

Taking a moment to collect himself, he consults the Journal. It appears its author made it this far, as Goreteg finds reproductions of the carvings done in charcoal: a figure wielding a scythe and an angel with a halo over her eyes. Goreteg sneers at these depictions of Ula and Emeria -- the minotaurs were practically alone among the races of Zendikar in rejecting the various "gods" previously worshipped by all the smooth-skins. They had always believed that the soil and the rocks and the trees were enough for them, and they had been right.

Goreteg presses his hand to the door, but, remembering his experience with the vine trap, pauses for a second to consider his options.

Moment of Contemplation 1G
Instant (C)
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn. Scry 1.
A journey is made up not only of the steps you take, but also the ones you don't.
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Your creature spells cost less to cast.
Equip

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

@slimytrout

Flavor: 2.5 - The name sounds more like a blue or white card than a green card, but other than that, this is perfectly fine. The flavor text goes a long way here.
Design: 1 - While this doesn't break pie, tacking "scry 1" and tacking one mana onto a card is incredibly lazy design.
Development: 3 - Fine for Limited and that's about it.
Luck: 4 - {1} + {3}
Bonus: +1
Total: 11.5

Phew, at least the entrance wasn't fully caved-in. Ivan breathed a big sigh of relief when it was just the other fork that had collapsed. Clearly, something (or someone) else was here. He would deal with that when the time came. He was still slumping a little bit, but felt a bit better now, at least. He could still fight aboard Sky if he had to, but would prefer to avoid combat if he could.

Once Lurgyan had caught up and both of them could see the collapse, Ivan found the strength to properly sit astride Sky. "It seems like we're going to have to do some breaking and entering of some kind. Whether it's breaking through this rubble or through the door in the back of the lab..." he trailed off, both of his hands glowing green as he drew a summoning circle on the back wall. "I'm not good at breaking doors down, but I know a few beasts that can..." he smiled.

As the circle materialized the rest of the way, hints of red color spread from its vertices, and the image of a lightly armored, red-furred beast sprinting toward an onlooker's perspective filled the inside of the circle. Its bladed, almost metallic-looking horn looked like it could pierce just about anything, and its meaty frame looked like it could knock down what it couldn't skewer. Wearing a saddle and barding similar to Sky's, it slid to a stop shortly after crossing through the circle and into the ruin, the fidgety beast scowling at its new surroundings. Its eyes shifted from Lurgyan to Ivan and back again, obviously impatient with regards to its summoner's orders.

Saddled Spearhorn RG
Creature - Beast {U}
Trample, haste
"And I thought they were crazy for befriending giant cats."
--Melania, Silverpaw initiate

3/2
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 2/7
Inv: Clue (1)
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
If you would gain life, you gain that much life plus one instead. (this includes natural lifegain)
Sacrifice Emeria Talisman: Until end of turn, you may spend mana as if it were white mana.
The goddess Emeria offers her grace to those that gaze ever higher.
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge
Show
Hide
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge1C
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?"
"YES."
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

RaikouRider
Flavour - 2,5; Stretches the "knight" in Ivan, compared to shaman or druid.
Design - 2; Good, classic multicolored uncommon taking good things from both colors, but at the same time nothing new to write esseys about.
Development - 2,5; I feel sorry for Watchwolf and even more so for Garruk's Companion.
Bonus +1; While somewhat stretches the definition of "prior experience", having prepared summon that works with both common problems in dungeons is something I can see Ivan having.
Luck: 5 (2+3)

——

Illenen looked around the room. So the ruins were a temple. While possible that cultists changed some aspects here, the very structure unmistakably pointed toward a place of worship. Angels carved into walls, servants of Emeria. Or rather, knowing cultists motives from the scattered evidence, servants of Emrakul was more fitting here. The masked knight was probably a rendition of Ula, the illusion that kept Ulamog hidden. Candles in alcoves indicated some sort of a shrine here, but not a main one. That one was probably behind the elaborate doors. What could be behind the simpler doors remained a mystery. Another sort of mystery was an absence of any sign of Cosi in carvings. It could be a temple dedicated only to Ulamog though, but if that was a case, then the usage of angels was a strange decision.

While Goreteg reads some kind of notebook, Illenen looked at a note he found among the bones. It seemed to belong to a cultist. If the creator of the note was the same person as a corpse in those vines, then one could hope that there were more of such traps that slowed and crippled the cult in its advances. Nevertheless, knight started to read the note.

---need more sacrifices.
Ayli says we------ose to completing the rit------ut it feels like mor------ are being fe-----every day.
I believ------oal is worthy, but I do------at merfolk she bro------ill, if our go------y are returning,
it is on------er for us t-------re a feast.

The name Ayli grabs Illenen attention. While the name was not that uncommon, he had met, years before Eldrazi's carnage, a Kor women named Ayli. She was an expert in old temples and lore of Emeria. She seemed very passionate on the subject and during few ventures in which she was invited by Illenen's order she shared a few tales about divinities. Some of them were bone-chilling, but she seemed unmoved by them. Knight never heard about her during the war or afterwards, but as he considered her a friend, he hoped that she was alright. Until now. If she was meddling with Eldrazi, or took a part in this cult, then - while it could be considered a pity by some more emotional individuals - it was Illenen's duty to stop her, by killing if necessary. His brothers and sisters from order had not died only for some Kor to make their sacrifice meaningless.

But that would wait until they would met. Now, knight looked at the note again, trying to figure out by guesswork what could be missing. Some of those, based on size of writing and suspected meaning, were rather easy.

We need more sacrifices.
Ayli says we're close to completing the ritual, but it feels like mor------ are being fe-----every day.
I believe----goal is worthy, but I do------at merfolk she bro------ill, if our go------y are returning,
it is on------er for us to prepare a feast.

Sacrifices. Obviously. The alleged closeness of completing was more unnerving. The corpse was reduced to bones and while the trap could have some acid added to it, the fruit Illenen found and the very note he was reading now advocated otherwise. Much time passed, no doubt. But after some consideration, it was a positive sign - if the cultists were "close" to completing the ritual so long ago, maybe their efforst are in vain? Illenen tried to figure out more of the missing parts, but either the size of writing changed in a middle of writing, ot there were some words and meanings he had forgotten. The best he could come up was:

We need more sacrifices.
Ayli says we're close to completing the ritual, but it feels like more lies are being fed to us every day.
I believe our goal is worthy, but I doubt that merfolk she brought. Still, if our gods truly are returning,
it is only----er for us to prepare a feast.

It couldn't be it. It made sense as a sentences, but not as something a cultist would say. Despite exhaustion slowly creeping, Illenen once again focuses his mind today, trying to find better answers to this conundrum.

Riddlesolving
Sorcery (R)
Scry X, where X is 7 minus the number of cards in your hand.
Reveal your hand and the top card of your library. If the top card of your library shares a name with a card in your hand, put it into your hand. Repeat this process until you don't put a card into your hand.
Solving puzzles is a process of interweaving what you know and what you will know.

——
Character
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: +0/+1 (Radiant Warshield)
HP: 14/14
STR: 3/6 (0+6)
INV:
Food
Blood Fruit
Show
Hide
Blood Fruit
Artifact - Food (R)
, , eat Blood Fruit: you gain 2d6 temporary hit points. (temporary hit points last until they are lost)
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +0/+1
Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Equip

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor - 3
Very nice. The "do a process" mechanic of the card makes it feel like going through multiple steps to solve a puzzle.
Design - 3
It's relatively hard to make an original piece of "pure" card draw, yet this card has so many unique and compelling elements. It's even interesting trying to figure out the optimal number of cards in hand to cast it at.
Development - 2.5
Complicated even for a rare.
Luck - 5
2+3
Bonus - 1
Someone's seen this picture.
Total - 14.5

Lurgyan cocks his head a little at Ivan's decision. He's not much of a summoner himself so he doesn't really get the appeal of using beasts to accomplish things - they're unsubtle, and sometimes not prone to following commands, and especially to a vampire, smelly. Still - Lurgyan had enough zoological knowledge to know spearhorns, and he knew they were strong and stubborn enough to bash through any kind of barrier.

"You sure you have control of that thing? Here, before you send it to do anything that gets it hurt - " Lurgyan sheathes the beast's head in a thin layer of hard, calciferous moss, the better to protect it. The spell he weaves calls for either black or green magic, but he uses the green mana to make the creature, and Ivan, both feel more at ease.

Shell of Lichen {B/G}
Instant (C)
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. You gain 2 life.
Some mosses are healthful for the diet. A few of them have even more obvious uses for protecting the body.
Character sheet
Show
Hide
Lurgyan, Hazard Priest 1BG
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
T: Choose one of the following. Lands you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn -
• Hexproof
• "Sacrifice this land: Target attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
• "T, Pay 1 life: Target attacking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."
• "T, Put this land on the bottom of your library: Put up to one land card from your hand and up to one land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
"Don't run from this land's acrimony."
2/2

HP 12 (11 currently)
STR 7 (1 available)

Items:
Clue x 3
Treasure x 2

Mysterious Amulet 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Checks you make involving other Clerics have a +2 bonus.
Mystery effect
Equip 2
(Equipped)

Lucky Ring 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature may use this ring to get +4 to a check involving a trap.... once, after which the ring's luck will be depleted until it can be refilled by a critical success. On a critical failure, the ring will break forever, although it will also make that failure non-critical.
Equip 2
Not quite lucky enough for its former owner.
(Equipped)

Runic Conduit 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Spells you cast that target equipped creature cost 2 less to cast.
Equip 2
(Equipped)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

OOC: @RaikouRider I think, given that Lorn Asbord Schutta and void_nothing agree, I should have been given the bonus for identifying the carvings.

RaikouRider

@slimytrout ooc: Done and edited.

Mookie

Was busy the last few days, apologies. Will post updates later today.

Mookie

A few delays, but...

void_nothing
Flavor: 2 - not super exciting or splashy, but it's fine.
Design: 2.5 - 'give a thing indestructible with minor upside'.
Development: 2 - strictly-better Withstand Death? Power creeeeeep :P
Luck: 6 (4+2)
Total: 12.5

Outcomes & Challenges
slimytrout and Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta
Upon reading the note, Illenen spends some time in contemplation. Ayli, sacrifices, lies, a merfolk... While he feels reasonably confident in most of what he's been able to decipher, it also appears that a few key words are missing. There are also a lot of unexplained mysteries that need further explanation - how long ago was the note written? Why are only two of the Zendikari gods worshipped here? What sort of ritual is being performed? Still, the note should function well enough as a Clue regarding what is going on here.

Meanwhile, Goreteg investigates the unlocked door. Upon first examination, the minotaur is unable to find any traps attached to it. He puts an ear to the side of the door, but it doesn't seem like anything is moving on the other side either. However, he does feel like he can vaguely make out voices - or perhaps chanting - on the other side. They do still sound to be rather far off though. Perhaps at the end of a long corridor? Regardless, the door seems safe to open... probably. Alternatively, it may be worth checking out the other, locked door.

Restrictions: none, although anything too loud may call attention to you.
Bonus: +1 point if you can make use of prior experience
RaikouRider and void_nothing
Show
Hide
@RaikouRider and @void_nothing
The combination of Ivan's summoned creature and Lurgyan's magical enhancements results in a sturdy saddled Spearhorn. Ivan is reasonably confident that the creature will be capable of either dealing with the rubble or knocking down the door in the laboratory, but doing so will likely also be fairly noisy - Spearhorns aren't exactly known for their stealth. Simultaneously, summoned creatures tend to only stick around for a set duration of time - while the creature ought to be able to clear one of the paths, the duration will likely run out before both may be cleared.

The pair also note that it isn't entirely clear why the tunnel collapse occurred - while it may just be due to the ruins being, well, ruins, it could also be due to a trap that someone else triggered. Either way, collapsing the path any further may make it too dangerous to clear out at all. It ought to be possible to clear out the path while still being careful, but it would require a bit of finesse.

Restriction: your spell must make use of your summoned creature in some way.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior animal-wrangling experience.
Other Stuff:
Seems like I'm not the only person that was busy this week, so pinging other folks too: @Subject16, @Pygyzy, @Incredium.

Anyway, next update tentatively planned for 11/22.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

After finishing examining every single inconsequential aspect of the room and only discovering a few mice that were unconvinced by his attempts to domesticate them, Seamus finally sets his sights towards the kitchen.

Maybe there's a closet in there, he muses. Being a complete coward, he creeps towards the door slowly and peaks in. Hmmm, he thinks, I like food, and bursts through the door.

Curious Ransacking wrr
Sorcery
Shuffle target permanent into it's owner's library. That permanent's controller creates a Food token. An opponent of your choice may have you create a Food token. If they do, that player copies this spell. They may choose new targets for the copy. Exile Curious Ransacking.
Buyback — Sacrifice three Food tokens
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Technically this card doesn't put any cards into the graveyard since tokens aren't cards

Mookie

Bumping back another day to give people more time, to 11/23.

RaikouRider

@Pygyzy
Flavor: 3 - Yep.
Design: 1.5 - Chain of Chaos Warp? Certainly not entirely original, but this is a pretty wild effect for this type of card. Could take a long time to resolve. No rarity. Sorry, have to mark this down a lot.
Development: 2 - Buyback doesn't actually work on this card because it exiles itself, and buyback returns the card from the stack to the hand. I like the idea, but the self-exile gets in the way.
Bonus: +1 - Yep.
Luck: 3 - {2} + {1} rng pls
Total: 10.5

"Reliably enough," Ivan smiled. While he wasn't quite brave enough to hop on his freshly-summoned companion in the middle of a charge, particularly when debris could go flying into his face, there was no need - it would be able to smash that barricade all the same. He gently pat the armored beast down all the same, and considered giving Sky a break if there was enough space in the next room to hop on his new, though temporary, companion. "Alright buddy...you know what to do!" Ivan pointed at the rubble-filled passage. Lowering its head, the blade-horned creature flung itself into the rocks at high speed - between its offensive might, the defensive might Lurgyan reinforced it with, and a little magic of the summoner's own, that forest-tromping creature was going to do its best to clear a path. If there was enough space in the next room, Ivan would hop right on after the charge, just for the experience of being on another beast besides Sky.

Predator's Will 1G
Sorcery {C}
This turn, you may have target creature assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.
Draw a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
If you would gain life, you gain that much life plus one instead. (this includes natural lifegain)
Sacrifice Emeria Talisman: Until end of turn, you may spend mana as if it were white mana.
Show
Hide
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"YES."

Lorn Asbord Schutta

RaikouRider
Flavour - 3; Good one.
Design - 3; I really like giving super-trample to any creature, as it gives more tactical depht then merely trample.
Development - 2,5; Somewhat underpowered? Super-trample is not necessarily better then trample and with sorcery speed it paints huge target. While suprisingly green does not have trample with cantrip on sorcery, but Crash Through in red tells me that this could have gone into CMC 1.
Bonus +1; Knowing when not to sit on beast is even more important then knowing how to sit.
Luck: 3 (2+1)
Total: 12,5

——

Illenen almost grasped it. Almost. But he will have to do with unreliable guesswork. Or maybe even ignore it, to not have his judgement skewered.

Knight turned his attention to companion.
"What have you found, Goreteg?" he asks.
"Someone's chanting on the other side." replays minotaur "Cultists, probably."
"We should press on. Are the doors trapped?"
"I don't think so."
"So there is reason to hesitate."
Illenen opens the door. Seeing that Goreteg lowers his horns, knight stops him before minotaur gathers too much of velocity.
"Lack of hesitation is not the same as lack of caution. We will charge once we are sure there is no trap nor we exhaust ourselves running."

Tactical Caution
Instant (C)
Remove target attacking creature from combat and untap it. Its controler scries 2.
Charging blindly is inferior to charging with open eyes.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
1/4
INV:
Food
Clue
Blood Fruit
Show
Hide
Blood Fruit
Artifact - Food (R)
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Equip

Mookie

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor: 3.0 - stop a thing from attacking
Design: 2.5 - I like the utility of removing a thing from combat - stop an attacker, or save one of your own creatures.
Development: 1.5 - not a huge fan of letting an opponent scry, since this is a little underpowered as a removal spell.
Luck: 5 (3+2)
Total: 12

Outcomes and Challenges
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
@Pygyzy
Seamus bursts through the door and enters the kitchen. A few mice scurry away from him into the darkness, but no cultists appear to be around. That said, there are a few sacks of food ingredients around. Seamus sticks a finger in one and takes a lick to determine what it is, but it seems to be some sort of poison.

....wait, what?

Ignoring the question of what sort of self-respecting cultist chef keeps poison in the kitchen, Seamus grabs a swig of the nearest liquid in an attempt to wash it out of his mouth. The drink - which seems to be bright red, slightly fruity, and extremely sweet - seems to help with the problem, but not before Seamus takes 5 (2d4) points of poison damage.

Challenge: cure the poison! (the normal kind, not the phyrexian kind)
Restriction: You've already consumed some poison, which means it will take time to get it out of your system. Your card must involve a delayed effect.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of items in the kitchen
(note: you are in location 11)
RaikouRider (and void_nothing)
Show
Hide
@RaikouRider and @void_nothing
The summoned beast crashes through the rubble, clearing a path through the darkness. It takes a few minutes before the hallway is fully cleared, but the Spearhorn is still able to make reasonable progress. Ivan follows slowly behind, holding a torch so he can visually track it in the darkness. Fortunately, it seems that no further traps are triggered, although some pebbles do fall from the ceiling and bounce off Ivan's armor.

After a few minutes, the beast is able to clear a wide enough path for Ivan and Lurgyan to traverse, after which it turns around and looks proud of itself. Ivan strokes its hide and offers words of praise, and the group advances onwards to the next room.

The next room appears to be some sort of antechamber. There are a few small alcoves and pieces of art decorating it, and it seems to be a more formal entrance than the route that Ivan and Lurgyan originally took. It is clear that several people have already been down this route - there is a closet that has been visibly ransacked, an open wooden door, and a stone door that appears to have been torn open. Behind the wooden door is an extremely dark hallway, while through the stone door there appears to be the remains of a battle.

Restriction: none, although you may attract attention if you are too conspicuous
Bonus: +1 if you can elaborate on your character's logic in their route selection (if any)
(note: you are in location 10)
Lorn Asbord Schutta (and slimytrout)
Show
Hide
@Lorn Asbord Schutta and @slimytrout
Illenen holds back his companion and cautiously peeks through the door. No cultists appear to be on the other side, although the sound of chanting does become a bit louder. With the coast (apparently) clear, the pair begin advancing down the dark hallway. However, after a short distance, they arrive before what appears to be a very deep chasm. There are some carvings on the walls on either side, but it isn't clear how deep the chasm is, or how long it is. The chanting does seem to clearly be coming from the other side though.

Challenge: traverse the chasm!
Restriction: you'll need to traverse a large distance. Must be an effect that can affect an opponent's board.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior chasm-traversing experience.
(note: you are at location 's')
Other Stuff:
Next update planned for 11/27. Things seem to have been slowing down a bit recently, but I will note that y'all are most of the way through the dungeon at this point.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@Mookie
Regarding the card
Show
Hide
I know it does not affect opponent's board, but at the same time I do not try to traverse the chasm. If I have to, I will change the submission, ofcourse.
——

Knight hopes that now minotaur is at least grateful for stoping him. He also considered rushing with a battlecry to get drop on cultists and it could not end in pleasant way. Illenen tries to illuminate the chasm with his torch, but in vain. It is deep, no doubt. But they have to be a way to traverse to the other side.

Magical way, probably. Illenen sighed. He was no magician. While he learned magic's theory, which proved to be useful in both mage-slaying and in adventuring with wizards, he had no aptitude for applied arcane arts. Likewise, he never had time to learn cliffwalking to a degree, in which he no longer needed Kor's assistance. Not like his rope would help with this chasm anyway.

But there was a mage with him. A particular kind, no doubt, but still more useful then knight in this circumstances.
"Are you able to conjure a bridge, Goreteg? I am afraid there is no other option."
Minotaur does not respond. It seems that he is considering something of his own already.

Still, Illenen is restless. On one hand, for him situation is hopeless. But on the other hand, it feels too easy. Maybe there was some secret passage? Or worse, secretly watchful eyes? Knight examines the walls, looking for any suspisciuos detail.

Watchful Gaze
Instant (C)
Target opponent reveals their hand and the top card of their library. You may have that player exchange a card of your choice from their hand with the top card of their library.
Scry 1
Nothing's hidden.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/4
INV:
Food
Clue
Blood Fruit
Show
Hide
Blood Fruit
Artifact - Food (R)
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

@Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Regarding the card
Show
Hide
I know it does not affect opponent's board, but at the same time I do not try to traverse the chasm. If I have to, I will change the submission, ofcourse.
Yeah, that's fine. If you want to do more prepwork before traversing it (or take a different route entirely), that's fine.

Mookie

Bumping for visibility.

Edit: due to a lack of updates, bumping back a day, to 11/28.

RaikouRider

@Lorn Asbord Schutta
Flavor: 3 - Definitely a tool in the vigilant knight's toolbox.
Design: 1.5 - This type of effect hasn't really been done before, but man can it be hugely swingy. It seems either useless or insane. This typically delays a key spell by one turn. This is very good against, say countermagic, but not so good against combat tricks that can be played at any time. Is it worth spending half a card? In certain matchups, I would say so. The question is, is the sideboard space worth it?
Development: 2.5 - This is hard to evaluate, but seems on par with other Peek effects.
Bonus: +1 - Definitely counts.
Luck: 5 - {2} + {3}

As Ivan thought, this chamber was much larger, with a variety of forks in the road. There would be a lot of ground to cover, and there appeared to be evidence of a battle, as well. As he promised the spearhorn, or as so he remembered, he took advantage of the more open space by climbing aboard the spearhorn, letting Sky stretch. As if excited to show Ivan how strong it was, the densely-muscled beast cocked its head backward before thrusting its blade-horn toward and up, as though it were goring an imaginary target. Ivan's arms tensed as the force behind the thrust jostled him in the saddle. "Easy, boy!" he gently pat the smiling creature. Sky couldn't help put let out a purr akin to a chuckle.

Once the ferocious charger was done goofing off, Ivan directed it toward the hall behind the wooden doorway. He held the reins with one hand, so his other could light the way with a lantern magicked to help find the truth about whatever its beam shone upon.

Lantern of Truth's Light WU
Artifact {U}
Players play with their hands and the top card of their libraries revealed.
Any player may look at face-down cards on the battlefield and face-down cards in exile at any time.
T: Add C.
Sheet
Show
Hide
2/2

Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
Emeria Talisman
Show
Hide
Emeria Talisman
Artifact (U)
Show
Hide
Artifact {M}
"YES."

Mookie

Bumping back one more day, to 11/29, because I'd like to have at least 3 submissions. I suspect people may be busy / traveling due to holidays though.

slimytrout

Flavor: 3. Terrific.
Design: 1. Yikes, I don't think this would lead to fun magic at all. No bluffing, no secrets, not even any anticipation about what is going to be drawn. I definitely wouldn't want to play with/against this card. It's even worse because people might play it just for the mana rock, so it would have a very unfun effect that's just trinket text!
Development: 3. Not the best rate for a mana rock (double-colored Mind Stone without the sacrifice option) but it's still reasonable given the other text.
Luck: 3
Bonus: +1. I guess this counts? You haven't actually chosen a path, but you've definitely a rationale that would help you choose.
Total: 11

Goreteg sighed. "I can make a bridge," he said. "It is not so easy, though." The gap was wide, so the bridge would have to be properly reinforced to support the weight, and Goreteg may have been a skilled fighter and stoneshaper but he was no engineer. If he were alone, he could have dispensed with the need for a bridge at all and simply asked the rocks throw him across -- he had encountered plenty of crevasses in his travels and had traversed them all with ease -- but he was not going to abandon the knight, and the stones only shifted at his touch. Seeing no other option, he got to work pulling stone out of the cliff, one handful at a time. It was slow going, and often required him to stand inside the chasm on small footholds that he made for himself, but still, he made steady progress. Eventually, he connected the two sides with a narrow, treacherous-looking bridge. Tired by the effort, he collapsed on the far side and waited for the knight to join him.

Narrow Bridge 3
Artifact (R)
Whenever two or more creatures attack you, those creatures get -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures attacking you beyond the first.
"Let them try to get an army across there."
-General Jarkeld, the Arctic Fox

Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 13/13
Strength: 8
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Your creature spells cost less to cast.
Equip

Mookie

slimytrout
Flavor: 3 - a defensively-minded bridge.
Design: 2.5 - Not entirely sure how I feel about it triggering only on 2+ creatures attacking, but otherwise seems good flavorwise.
Development: 3 - a reasonably-costed Lightmine Field / Crawlspace variant.
Bonus: +1 - I like the mental image of a minotaur traveling by being catapulted
Luck: 3 (1+2) - yikes
Total: 12.5

Challenges and Outcomes
@Lorn Asbord Schutta and @slimytrout:
It takes a while for Goreteg to transmute the stone into a bridge capable of spanning the chasm. Neither the minotaur nor the knight have a strong engineering background, which results in progress being significantly slower and more cautious than what a skilled craftsman would accomplish. It's possible that a wizard or an artificer would have the mathematical knowledge to construct a more sturdy bridge, but that's currently just wishful thinking.

Still, despite a lack of expertise, the pair is able to construct a bridge that seems to be sufficiently sturdy. Goreteg performs the bulk of the work, transmuting the stone and stretching it out across the chasm. Meanwhile, Illenen assists by illuminating the dark passageway and keeping a watchful eye out in case anything started to collapse. The entire time, the chanting continues in the background, but after a while it seems to fade into the backround as the pair gets used to its rhythm.

Eventually, the bridge is completed. Goreteg crosses first and collapses on the other side, exhausted. Fortunately, the bridge is sturdy enough to not require him to maintain it magically, so it immediately doesn't collapse alongside him. Afterwards, Illenen cautiously crosses and joins him on the other side. Hopefully, there won't be an earthquake or other disturbance that will damage the bridge before the pair needs to cross back.

At this point, the pair turns their attention to their next obstacle, a fork in the path. The first branch in the fork seems to lead towards the chanting, while the other branch is marked with a large "X" and appears to wind even deeper into the ruins.

Restriction: none
Bonus: +1 if you can justify your choice of branch
(note: you are currently at location 's')

@RaikouRider (and @void_nothing):
Ivan shines a light into the dark hallway, illuminating it. There appear to be some rather foreboding imagery lining the halls - pictures of blood sacrifice and horrific monsters - but they don't seem obviously threatening, so he directs the spearhorn to lead the way, then follows behind, with Lurgyan waiting behind in the antechamber until Ivan gives the all-clear.

After advancing part of the way down the hallway, Ivan's conjured lantern begins to flicker. A few seconds later, the light goes out, and is followed by a panicked roar of the spearhorn that is suddenly cut off as Ivan feels his summon spell be forcibly canceled. However, he doesn't have much time to ponder this development, as moments later Ivan hears a ghostly wailing, which quickly turns into outright screaming!

"....itsallyourfault...."
"....yOuWiLlJoInUs...."
"---INUSJOINUSJOINUSJOINUSJO---"

Along with the screaming, spectral hands lashing out at Ivan from the darkness. The strikes are ice cold and seem to drain the heat from his body as they grasp at his limbs, inflicting 2 (2d4) points of damage. However, the wailing seems to an even bigger problem, as Ivan clutches his ears and finds it difficult to concentrate, let a lone move.

Challenge: make it through the hallway with your sanity intact!
Restriction: the wailing is very loud, and it's hard to concentrate. Your card text must be 5 words or less (reminder text doesn't count).
Bonus: +1 if you explain how your character resists the fear.
(note: you are currently at location 'e')

Other Stuff:
Seems like participation has slowed down a little - as previously mentioned, I assume it's due to the holiday season started, but hopefully people will still be around. Next update tentatively planned for 12/03, assuming sufficient people have posted.

If you've missed a recent action, you can still pick up from where you left off.
If you're reading this and want to join in, let me know and I can work you into the narrative

I've also tentatively switched to un-spoilering outcomes. Most of the dungeon has been explored at this point, so I'm not quite as concerned about spoilers. (also, part of the prior motivation was due to post length, which isn't as much of an issue with less actions being taken)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Illenen helped as much as he could, even though he could help only little. His companion seems exhausted after that feat of stoneshaping. It would be a good moment to rest a little, but there was no telling, when those chanting cultists may prove dangerous to them. Adventurers had to hurry and confront them on their own terms. The marked doors may wait, although knight had some chilling suspicions about what was hiding behind them.

Illenen lends a hand toward laying minotaur.
"We shall come unto those despicable cultists. They are conducting rituals to awaken something, but it cannot be allowed. We have to go, Goreteg. I need your assistance. Zendikar needs your help. But most importantly, the challange awaits you. Are you going to shy from it, or will you face it as a true minotaur?"

Rouse the Resolve
Sorcery (R)
Choose target creature card in your graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn, then return it to the battlefield. At the beginning of the next combat phase this turn, that creature gains haste until end of turn.
"I do not beg - I command you to arise! For yourself, for your companions, for Zendikar, stand back and fight!"
—General Tazri, allied commander

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/4
INV:
Food
Clue
Blood Fruit
Show
Hide
Blood Fruit
Artifact - Food (R)
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”