[RPG] Adventures in Zendikar (play-by-post)

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

RaikouRider
(no worries, this seems like a busy time of year in general. if you anticipate being busy in the future, feel free to give a heads up beforehand)
Flavor: 1.5 - a bit of a miss for me. A protective ward for making a cultist open a door?
Design: 3 - proactive counterspell seems sweet. Or maybe it's a Silence variant? Either way, seems sweet.
Development: 3 - yeah, this seems perfectly reasonable.
Luck: 5 (3+2)
Total: 12.5

Outcomes and Challenges
@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta:
The cultists cower in fear as Goreteg seems to tower above them - it's clear that they messed with the wrong minotaur. Despite the fact that technically the minotaur was the one that interrupted their ceremony, but... details, details. Either way, Goreteg feels as if he has gained a +1/+1 counter. The buff spell won't last forever (only five actions, to be precise), but hopefully he'll be able to make it count. He begins by swiping a few more of the cultists into the abyss, while some others appear to retreat to safety.

Meanwhile, Illenen grapples with the priestess and manages to twist the hook out of her hands. She doesn't seem pleased by this, and calls to some of the cultists to distract the knight so she has a moment to reassess the situation and rearm herself. This further depletes the congregation - at this point, it appears that only half of the original number of cultists remains, and almost all of them are focused on the combat at this point, with very few of them focusing at all on the ritual. It seems a bit strange that any cultists are still focused on the ritual, but that simply seems to prove their devotion to their cause.

Challenge: the battle seems to be turning in your favor! Think of some way to bring it to a close.
Restriction: It's been a long combat. (edit) Should be an effect you would want after combat damage has been dealt.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of teamwork
(you are still in location 5)

@RaikouRider:
"It's really nothing interesting, I promi-" "Open. The. Door."
The cultist is extremely nervous, but with Sky keeping close to them, they don't really have any other option. They cautiously open the door.

Suddenly, both Ivan and Sky are struck by an overwhelming scent of blood, gagging immediately. While most medical rooms are kept as sterile as possible, it's conceivable these ruins haven't been cleaned up to standard recently... but what they see goes far beyond what any legitimate doctor could be responsible for. Bloody implements are strewn about the room - scalpels, needles, saws, scissors, and more.

However, what is particularly jarring is the number of body parts present. Limbs, flesh, and organs from an innumerable number of creatures - both humanoid and animal, plus an eerily large number of insect parts. Perhaps this is where they disassembled creatures to create the amalgams in the laboratory? Even more concerning, there are some parts that clearly don't belong to any creature Ivan can recognize.

Noticing that Sky is distracted by the stench, the cultist begins to back away slowly. "This is... where we keep the extra body parts! In case we need to do a transplant or something... yeah, that sounds plausible...." With Ivan also distracted by the stench, they continue backing away until they reach the other door leaving the room, at which point they immediately bolt down the hallway as fast as they can run.

Challenge: follow the cultist, or investigate the room further
Restriction: If you want to investigate the room, must have some way to deal with the stench. if you want to follow, must have some way to track the cultist.
Bonus: +1 if you have prior experience dealing with blood.

Other Stuff:
Next update tentatively planned for 12/27. If you expect to be busy due to holiday stuff, feel free to give a heads up. Alternatively, if you're lurking and want to join in, feel free - if you've lost track of where your character is, you can link up with someone active.
Last edited by Mookie 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

Bumping for visibility, although looks like will need to bump back to 12/29.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
It's been a long combat. Should be an effect you would want during the end of combat step.
Maybe it is a strange question, but an example of such effect?

Mookie

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
It's been a long combat. Should be an effect you would want during the end of combat step.
Maybe it is a strange question, but an example of such effect?
Ha, in retrospect, it's a bit of a weird restriction. My intent was to have something relevant for a prolonged combat. However, looking at existing cards, almost everything that triggers at end of combat is a delayed deathtouch variant (ex: Rock Basilisk). I'll amend the restriction to 'should be an effect you want after combat damage has been dealt'. An example for that is Executioner's Swing.

Mookie

Aaaand bumping back again due to lack of activity. Looks like we won't be finishing this year, but c'est la vie. Tentatively planning for the weekend, 1/2.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I have also realised, that no-one rolled for the Blood Fruit I used last round.

——

Disarming will not do the trick. Illenen circles a bit, trying to catch his breath and figure out how to win the duel.

When the priestess is rearmed, Illenen allows her to advance. Parrying and blocking the hook, moving backwards toward the chasm. He has few options, but there is no telling, if any of them might prove successful. When the fighters are close to the brink of pit, priestess manages to land a hit on knight. The curved hook finds it way through the armour, spreading words of its victory via flash of pain. Illenen feels dripping wetness and heat from the wound, a sign of blood loss, no doubt. But knight does not worry, seizing the intiative instead. Illenen grasps the hook, pulling it sideways, despite the hook slashing deeper into his body. Surprised Kor still clinges to her weapon, being thrown towards the chasm.

Knight's Sacrifice
Instant (U)
As an additional cost to this spell, sacrifice a creature that was dealt combat damage this turn.
Exile target nonland permament.
Only meaningless death is dishonor.

Fighting through pain, knight screams:
"Kill her, Goreteg! Kill her!
Hopefully, if priestess will not fly into the pit after the throw, minotaur - standing closer to chasm - will take care of her quickly.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant
Legendary Creature — Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
  • Illenen gets +1/+1 and gains first strike until end of turn.
1/4
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: +0/+1 (Radiant Warshield);
HP: 13/14
STR: 3/6 (0+6)
INV:
Food
Clue
Equipped
Radiant Wardshield
Show
Hide
Radiant Wardshield
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +0/+1
Sacrifice Radiant Shield: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature this turn. You get +1 on your next check. Activate this ability after your score for the round has been given, but before the results have been announced.
Equip

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Flavor: 3. Love this. Suuuper white.
Design: 3. Nailed this.
Development: 2.5. Situational but also powerful -- over all, I think the balance is pretty good. My one minor concern is that it would have play issues with double blocking (especially in paper) where people often don't bother to say how much damage they're assigning to each creature in a double block. But I'm sure the rules/judges could handle it.
Luck: 2 -- Oh no! Critical failure! I'm so sorry!
Bonus: +1
Total: 11.5

(Also, 8 temporary hit points from Blood Fruit.)

----

Goreteg, strengthened by his buff, tries to reach out for the cultists around him, but they dive out of the way. Clearly, they've realized that this magic will not last forever, and are trying to delay the fight until it starts to wear off. Just at that moment, Goreteg hears a gasp of pain from the knight, and looks over to see him impaled on her hook. The priestess, mere inches from the edge of the chasm, seems for a moment to be about to plunge to her death, but then she digs in her heels and manages to prevent herself from being thrown in.

"Kill her, Goreteg! Kill her!" The knight shouts, then slumps down, clearly grievously wounded.

Goreteg doesn't waste a moment. He rushes toward the pair, and the other cultists, not having fully realized that the situation has changed, dive out of his way. Now doubly invigorated by the amulet and his fury at his friend's injury (the gruff minotaur is a little surprised to realize he was rather growing to like the uptight knight), he is on the priestess within two seconds, catching her on the side of the head with a brutal backhanded blow. She staggers backward and over the edge, but with a sudden twist of the hook she manages to catch onto the edge of the cliff. She looks up at him, blood streaming down her face from Goreteg's attack but fury still burning in her eyes.

Blood for Blood 1R
Instant (U)
Target creature deals damage to itself equal to the damage it's dealt this turn.
"Only blood can pay for blood."
-Fifth Edict of Valinius

Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Shaman (R)
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."
-Sachir, Akoum Expeditionary House

3/3

HP: 19/14 (+1/+1 counter - 4 rounds remaining)
Strength: 9
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
Checks you make involving other minotaurs get a +2 bonus
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Your creature spells cost less to cast.
Equip

Lorn Asbord Schutta

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I will sacrifice Radiant Warshield.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

ooc: I'm really really busy this week; skip me this posting round and I'll be in the next.

Mookie

slimytrout:
Flavor: 3 - an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and blood for blood.
Design: 3 - clean and simple
Development: 3 - turnabout's fair play, which means this is pretty much always a balanced effect. I also appreciate it being used against a creature with deathtouch.
Luck: 6 (2+4)
Total: 16

Outcomes and Challenges:
@Lorn Asbord Schutta and @slimytrout
After a long and grueling battle, neither Illenen nor the priestess he is fighting with are able to maintain the graceful forms they had at the beginning of their duel. Both are exhausted and covered in wounds. Many cultists lie on the floor, bleeding and unconscious. Both fighters seem ready to bring the fight to a close, and are merely waiting for a mistake from their opponent.

The first mistake comes from Illenen - while blocking a blow from the priestess's hook, he slips a bit on a puddle of blood on the floor. This allows the priestess to pierce him with the hook, inflicting a painful blow. However, with quick thinking, the knight turns this into an opportunity of his own - he wrenches the hook and its attached chain, pulling the priestess closer to the edge of the chasm, and shouting for Goreteg to assist.

The minotaur obliges, rushing over and dealing a brutal blow to the priestess and knocking her over the edge. She clambers to hold on - first by pulling on her hook, which is still embedded in Illenen. This action pulls the knight (already dangerously close to the chasm) over the edge as well - he is forced to let go of his Wardshield for a second hand to hold on. However, this alone isn't enough for the priestess to get back to stable ground.

A moment of contemplation comes over the priestess.

"It seems that this is as much blood as I can gather. I suppose my heart will have to be the last. Mangeni, I dedicate this life to you!"

With that, she closes her eyes... and with an eerie serenity, she lets go of the ledge and falls into the darkness. Goreteg lends a hand to Illenen to pull him up, and the two track the priestess as she falls. It seems to go on for minutes, although it couldn't possibly be more than a few seconds, but she eventually vanishes from sight.

As soon as she does, the chamber falls silent. All the remaining cultists seem to be unconscious, and the minotaur and knight pair begin to breathe a sigh of relief.... when suddenly, they are overcome by a wave of wrongness. A deep rumbling is heard, as if Zendikar itself is crying out. The two turn their heads back to the chasm, and they see.... something rising out of the darkness.

Challenge: design a ritual for resurrecting a fallen Eldrazi Titan, or that revived Eldrazi Titan itself. (one per person)
Restriction: design the cards as if your character were Ayli (whom you may assume has access to black mana, white mana, and resources to sacrifice) or Ulamog (whom you may assume has access to lots of colorless mana), as appropriate.
Bonus: +1 if mythic. Make something splashy.
cue boss fight music

RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
ooc: I'm really really busy this week; skip me this posting round and I'll be in the next.
Noted, thanks for letting me know. Also, ooc, I'll highly encourage trying to get to where the other two are. You can continue investigating if you want to, but....

Other stuff: next update tentatively planned for Wednesday, 1/6. This is likely going to be the final encounter in this dungeon (other than any denouement).
Last edited by Mookie 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

Bumping back a few days, to 1/9.

Mookie

Bumping back a few more days due to lack of activity, to 1/12. Again, if you're not going to be available, let me know.

slimytrout

ooc: I am going to do it, it's just that this challenge is tougher than usual -- not only is it two cards, but they're also out of our normal character and they need to be quite splashy. It doesn't help that I'm busier than usual this week.

RaikouRider

ooc: Should be able to post normally every update now.

---

The terrible stench, and the sight of the mutilated creatures, made both Ivan and his companion want to vomit. It was clear now that whatever ritual was going on was definitely no good at all. Through his dizziness, he recalled the stitched-together cat insect that he had fought earlier - perhaps this is where such creatures were made.

By the time the two were able to physically recover from their nausea, the cultist had already fled. A mere human couldn't outrun a Silverpaw lion though. He wasn't taking any chances, though. The young man hopped back on his feline partner and chanted a risky spell that would stoke the noble beast to anger only satiated by finding the fleeing spellcaster and bringing them to answer for their dirty deeds. Sky's eyes turned bright red, loosing a roar that made his rider wince before dashing after the cultist. Ivan held on for dear life, the angry feline bouncing him up and down wildly from his spell making the already fast creature even faster.

Chase Down RG
Instant {C}
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains haste until end of turn. It must be blocked this combat if able.
Draw a card.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 0/7
Inv: Clue (1)
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge
Show
Hide
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge1C
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?"
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)
, : You gain 1 life.
, : Target spell or creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
, , Sacrifice Sanguine Scales: it deals 3 damage to any target.
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
ooc: I am going to do it, it's just that this challenge is tougher than usual -- not only is it two cards, but they're also out of our normal character and they need to be quite splashy. It doesn't help that I'm busier than usual this week.
Gah, sorry if it was unclear - the intent was for one person to design the titan, and the other to design the ritual. You only need to do one of them.

slimytrout

Whoops, completely missed RaikouRider's entry due to intervening post -- my bad!

Flavor: 2.5. Seems a little cruel to poor Sky to magically manipulate his emotions this way, but it's not too bad.
Design: 2. Elemental Uprising, Emergent Growth, and Irresistible Prey have vaguely similar effects, but still this isn't a precise match onto any of those.
Development: 1.5. Quite versatile, and a bit too strong at each mode to be appropriate at common. Instant speed +2/+2, draw a card for two mana is already quite strong (see Wildsize), and this gives haste and "must be blocked," which is a good bit of upside.
Luck: 7 (3+4)
Bonus: +1, I imagine the cat-insect was pretty gruesome, so that seems like an appropriate memory.
Total: 14

---

Goreteg watches something rise out of the chasm. It continues to rise, and rise, and rise, until his entire field of vision is filled with it. His mind is repelled by it, and he wants to run, but when he tries to back away he feels himself being pulled back towards it by an invisible force. In fact, he can see particles of himself being pulled away from his body, as if he were already being consumed by the horrible thing.

Ulamog, Hungering Anew {12}
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (M)
You may cast Ulamog, Hungering Anew from your graveyard by exiling each nonland permanent you control in addition to paying its other costs.
When Ulamog enters the battlefield, target opponent exiles their hand.
If Ulamog has attacked this turn, you may cast cards exiled by Ulamog, and you may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any type to cast those spells.
12/12
Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Goreteg Stonehorns fights up to one target creature you don't control.
"If you see a minotaur with shattered horns, he probably dared to defy Goreteg."

3/3

HP: 19/14 (+1/+1 counter - 3 rounds remaining)
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact
1, , read the journal: you get +2 to any check involving navigating these ruins. Do this only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)
Whenever you make a check, you may take -1 to that check. If you do, you get +1 to your next check (You may not use this on that check).

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout
Flavour - 1,5; Ulamog was always the most "brutish" of titans and it just devoured, with little care afterwards. While the first and second ability definitely fit, the last one not really.
Design - 3; It creates intresting tension, espescially with the reanimation ability, to find ways to quickly recast your stuff and potentialy use opponent's hand, because as soon as Ulamog hits graveyard again all exiled cards are lost. Also a good pay of for mono-brown decks.
Development - 2,75; Explosive, but at the same time an all-eggs-in-one-basket card. A perfect mythic, really. However I imagine that many begginers would try to cast cards exiled with "diffrent" Ulamog after casting from graveyard.
Luck - 7 (4+3);
Bonus +1;
Total: 15,25

——

Illenen collapses to the ground, severly weakned by the blood loss, hoping that the blood fruit will finally start to work. He thinks that they have won, because some cultists around him start to flee, but it is hard to gather the thoughts. The chanting of the ritual still echoes in knight's mind. Throbbing sound, the sound of tearing the time and space to let the carcasses of banished creatures to rot and decay once again in reality. But as Ayli once said, the gods don't die, they merely slumber.

Rites of Deathbinding
Instant (M)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice all creatures you control.
Choose one -
  • Put a creature card you own in exile with power less or equal to the total power of the sacrificed creatures into your graveyard.
  • Search your library for a creature card with power less or equal to the total power of the sacrificed creatures, put it into your graveyard, then shuffle your library.
——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
Whenever a spell or ability you control taps a creature or an artifact opponent controls, choose one —
  • Exile Illenen, Stoic Knight-errant. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: 8 Temporary Hit Points
HP: 21/13
STR: 0/6 (0+6)
INV:
Food
Clue
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Mookie

@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta - could you include scores for the previous poster? (RaikouRider and slimytrout, respectively) While you may be designing for another character, any good stuff / bad stuff earned as a result of your scores will still be applied to your own character.

Will post story update tomorrow, 1/13.

Mookie

Lorn Asbord Schutta:
Flavor: 2.5 - calling an Eldrazi's corpse back from the Blind Eternities? Interesting.
Design: 2 - sacrificing creatures to call in Ulamog definitely fits what's going on, although at cost of sacrificing all your creatures I would expect it to also reanimate.
Development: 1.5 - this is a miss for me. The cost (sacrifice all your creatures) is extremely steep, and the payoff (a conditional Entomb or Pull from Eternity) doesn't seem to match in value.
Luck: 4 (2+2)
Total: 11

Outcomes and Challenges
@RaikouRider:
Ivan and Sky chase the cultist through the hallways... or rather, Sky chases while Ivan tries to not fall off. Based on the number of traps encountered elsewhere in the ruins, he would have expected at least a few to trigger based on the recklessness with which Sky is traveling, but it seems like the path the cultist is taking is relatively trap-free. Observing the rooms that are passed by, it appears that this part of the ruins is mostly living quarters, so it seems plausible that the cultists chose a relatively safe part of the ruins to live in.

However, as the pair continue their chase, they suddenly feel a wave of wrongness wash over them. The spell affecting Sky flickers out and fades - not because the duration has expired, but because it feels as if the mana powering it has faded out entirely. The two still continue following the cultist, but at a slower speed. They've encountered this feeling before, but not for a long time. Not since... the final battle at Sea Gate. It seems like the initial reports of an Eldrazi in these ruins were true after all.

Following the cultist's scent, it eventually begins to mingle with that of many other, similar scents - it seems like a large group of the cultists came this way. Up ahead is a large chamber which seems to be emanating malignance.

Challenge: prepare yourself.
Restriction: Eldrazi have a large number of ways to negatively affect their surroundings. Should have some way to mitigate those effects.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience fighting Eldrazi

@slimytrout and @Lorn Asbord Schutta:
Goreteg and Illenen gaze in awe as a massive figure rises out of the abyss. The figure towers over the pair, and the rest of the chamber - it's almost impossible to believe that such a creature could have been brought to these ruins in one piece. Perhaps it was brought in multiple pieces, and stitched back together with foul magic... yet even that seems unlikely. It is crowned with a bony mask and reeks of decay and rotting meat.... as if it were fashioned out of countless corpses. There's no way the cultists could have possibly brought the actual corpse of an Eldrazi titan here - they were both purged with fire until naught remained. Yet the being's presence is unmistakeable, as if it has been called to inhabit the bodies of the sacrificed, and has warped them into something.... more.

Mangeni. Ula.

Ulamog.

What few cultists remain look on in rapture, their god inhabiting the plane once again. Yet the massive Eldrazi scarcely seems to notice them. It merely... exists. And as it does so, the surroundings.... don't. As Goreteg and Illenen watch, everything near the Titan slowly turns to white chalk as the mana itself is devoured. One cultist, who seems to be extremely out of breath, approaches the chasm and calls out to it - "Mangeni, take me!"

The titan obliges. A wave of wrongness pulses out from it, and the area near the cultist is struck, to horrifying results as both the stone floor and the cultist turn to chalk. The pair of adventurers aren't safe either - the wave saps Illenen's energy, dealing 5 (2d6) points of damage as he feels the mana being leeched from him. Ulamog.... hungers.

Challenge: survive.
Restriction: Eldrazi have a large number of ways to negatively affect their surroundings. Should have some way to mitigate those effects.
Bonus: +1 if you can make use of prior experience fighting Eldrazi

Other Stuff:
Next update tentatively planned for 1/18. As always, if you anticipate being busy, feel free to let me know.

Mookie

Bumping. Tentatively planning update for 1/21, assuming sufficient activity.

slimytrout

Goreteg looks up in horror at the... thing looming above them. He was too young to fight the Eldrazi during their rise, but he did see them -- horrible tentacled things that skittered and crawled. The warriors of his village came home with stories about the strength and courage they had shown in beating back the alien creatures that threatened to overrun them. When Goreteg set out on this adventure, that was what he hoped to find -- something to match his strength against and crush between stone fists.

But this... to even approach this being would not just be foolish, it would be suicidal. For the first time he could remember, Goreteg felt afraid. It was not anger, or trepidation, but pure fear. And he ran.

Abject Cowardice R
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't block.
Whenever enchanted creature becomes tapped, put a -1/-1 counter on it and it deals 1 damage to its controller.
"Fear has never built anything. It shrinks all that it touches."
-Iso, xiaotai master

Goreteg
Show
Hide
Goreteg Stonehorns 1RG
Trample

3/3

HP: 19/14 (+1/+1 counter - 2 rounds remaining)
Inventory (weight=8):

Foodx2

Treasure

Extravagant Horns ()
Artifact - Equipment
Equip
(equipped)

Scrawled Journal ()
Artifact

Juju Hourglass
Artifact (C)

Summoner's Staff
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equip

Mookie

Bumping back a few more days to give @RaikouRider and @Lorn Asbord Schutta a bit more time, to 1/23.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout
Flavour - 3; Wow! A nice character development.
Design - 1,5; It feels considerably more black then red, with Visions of Brutality and Torture spriging to mind.
Development - 2; I am not sure if this should not be an uncommon, because it can - via -1/-1 counters - deal around red removal's tradional weaknesses in limited.
Bonus - 1; This is as much of experiance as Goreteg could have.
Luck - 3 (1+2);
Total: 10,5

——

Illenen watches. Not in horror, he is able to control his emotions. Not in battle passion, he knows that he will not last long. He is calm, in almost eerie way. Maybe he finally became insane.
Knight feels, that the bloodfruit starts to pump his veins. He stands, then instantly fells on one of his knees. He is to weak to run. Besides, his order fell fighting Eldrazi. There is no reason for him to die in a lesser way. Breathing slowly and kneeling, Illenen rises his guard and just wait.

Stoic Poise
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has hexproof and defender.
Those who run gain glory. Those who wait might survive.

——
Character
Show
Hide
3 years ago
Vigilance
1/3
BUFFS/DEBUFFS: 3 Temporary Hit Points
HP: 16/13
STR: 0/6 (0+6)
INV:
Food
Clue

RaikouRider

@Lorn Asbord Schutta asbordschutta

Flavor: 3 - On point. Waiting for the right moment is imperative to surviving battle with such a creature.
Design: 3 - This card is incredibly versatile - it can be used both to neutralize an attacker and to protect a very important creature as long as it's not useful in combat.
Development: 2.5 - I can't help but think this should cost half a mana more. Maybe one mana + ETB scry 1?
Luck: 4 - {2} + {2}
Total: 13.5

Ivan clearly overestimated his own beast-wrangling capabilities - even a little bit of adrenaline rushing through Sky made the savannah cat almost impossible to hold on to. While it was nice to know he ultimately could handle the added speed, it would take some training to make the maneuver reliable, especially if he wanted to get in on the fighting, as well. As the two continued at a slower pace, Ivan couldn't help but experience a terrible, gut-wrenching feeling inside. He hadn't felt a premonition like this for a long time.

Not since...the Eldrazi War.

The Silverpaw Knight yanked back on Sky's reins, the white beast growling menacingly while in the antechamber. As powerful as Sky was, he was only one beast. Victory in the Eldrazi War required numbers. Very large numbers. While he lamented the potential loss of life from throwing such large numbers at such a creature, it was how his people won the last time. What worked the first time should work again...right? A giant pride of Skys would do the trick nicely if he didn't stumble over the words of the complex spell needed to maintain them all. And this was just the first step...

Hymn of Duality 1GW
Enchantment {R}
If a player would create one or more tokens, that player creates that many plus one of those tokens instead. (If an effect would
cause a player to create more than one kind of token simultaneously, that player chooses one.)

If a player controls two or more permanents with the same name, and at least one of those permanents is a token, the "legend rule" doesn't apply to those permanents.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider 1GW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight {R}
When Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider enters the battlefield, create Sky, Silverpaw Lion, a legendary 2/2 green and white Cat creature token with "Creatures you control named Ivan, Silverpaw Outrider have hexproof."
To protect the people of Kabira and the people of Turntimber, he has trained in the ways of both.
2/2

HP: 12/12
STR: 0/7
Inv: Clue (1)
Hedron Prism
Show
Hide
Hedron Prism 1
Artifact (C)
2,t: Add CC or one mana of any color.
"This seems waaaay too simple."
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge
Show
Hide
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge1C
Artifact {M}
Tome of Forbidden Knowledge enters the battlefield with three page counters on it.
1, T, Pay any amount of life, Remove a page counter from Tome of Forbidden Knowledge: Ask a question. You will get a yes-or-no answer. If you paid 3 or more life, you will instead get a cryptic answer. If you paid all but 1 life and at least 7 life, you will instead get a straight answer.
"Is it dangerous to read this book?"
"YES."
Sanguine Scales
Show
Hide
Sanguine Scales
Artifact (U)
, : You gain 1 life.
, : Target spell or creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
, , Sacrifice Sanguine Scales: it deals 3 damage to any target.

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 3 years ago

Having tried and failed to successfully keep up with this kind of game as the person running it many, many times, let's see if I can do better as a player. Hopefully you're still accepting new entries, I'll confess I haven't browsed much through the thread just yet, but here is my signup post. Happy to join others mid-adventure or go my own way depending how the game has been progressing so far.
Sheet
Show
Hide
Varai, Winged Meddler 1UR
Legendary Creature - Bird Wizard (R)
Flying
Whenever you cast a spell with two or more targets, you may draw a card.
2/3

NOTE: If drawing cards doesn't translate to much flavor or mechanical value in-game, I could change the effect of the trigger to something more practical.

HP: 13/13
STR: 7
INV: n/a

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”