Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL August Signups/Round 2

"Build It Here"

Darksteel Garrison, taken from MtG Wiki, by David Martin and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Unusual Subtypes Month here in the CCL! Every subtype featured in challenges this month has not appeared on many cards.

Challenge
Design a common or uncommon Fortification artifact.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The rules for Fortifications can be found here.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Friday, August 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 29th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Autonomous Scaffolding 2
Artifact - Fortification {U}
Fortified land is a colorless Construct artifact creature with base power and toughness 3/3 in addition to its other types.
Fortify 3 (3: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

Mobile Shelter 1
Artifact - Fortification (Uncommon)
Fortified land gains "2, T: Exile a creature card from your hand face-down hiding in this land."
Whenever a creature attacks you, that creature's controller chooses a land you control. Put onto the battlefield each creature hidden in it.
Fortify 1

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Nuisance Processor
Artifact — Fortification (U)
Fortified land has ", Sacrifice this land: Create two 0/1 colorless Pest artifact creature tokens."
Fortify (: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Sea Gate Buttress 2U
Artifact - Fortification (U)
Fortified land has "T, Return this land to its owner's hand: Draw a card."
2UU, Sacrifice Sea Gate Buttress: Create a 4/4 blue Elemental creature token with flying. Activate this ability only if you have seven or more cards in your hand.
Fortify 2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Mystic Well 2
Artifact-Fortification
Whenever fortified land is tapped for mana, add one mana of any color it could produce.
Fortify 1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Viridian Outpost G
Artifact — Fortification (C)
Fortified land has "T: Add one mana of any color."
At the beginning of each end step, untap fortified land.
Fortify 1. (1: Attack to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)
The phyrexian threat has made strongholds out of campsites.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Forepost Armory R
As long as fortified land is tapped, attacking creatures you control that share a color with a color of mana fortified land could produce get +1/+0.
Fortified land has "T: Add CC. Activate this ability only during combat."
Fortify R

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Empowered Foundations 3
Artifact - Fortification (u)
Activated abilities of fortified land cost 1 less to activate.
When fortified land is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.
Fortify 1
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Bubble Enforcer
When Bubble Enforcer enters the battlefield, attach it to a basic land you both control and own.
Fortified land and all other lands you control with the same name has indestructible.
Fortify
It's the most basic of needs met within a world of self-destruction buttons and war-lust enemies.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Glider Depot 3
Artifact--Fortification (Common)
Fortified land has "T: Target creature gains or loses flying until end of turn."
Fortify 1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed. Please critique the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

RaikouRider
netn10
Sojourner Dusk
slimytrout
BeneTleilax
Subject16
MonoRedMage
Henlock
marioguy3
kwanyeegor-ii
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

COMPLETE
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Autonomous Scaffolding 2
Fortified land is a colorless Construct artifact creature with base power and toughness 3/3 in addition to its other types.
Fortify 3 (3: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)
I think this is more or less a mana rate similar to Zendikon cycle or Genju cycle, Genjus are better creatures but they demand a mana investment if you are in position of keeping your creatures alive, and Zendikons are quite worse overall in my opinion. If you think of it as 5 mana 3/3 with haste that can be kept around for a land and 2 mana, this seems solid. My only complain is that manland was probably the least interesting way to go with the fortification challenge, yet I's like that this design, while it looks rather simple, is very clear and sober.

netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Mobile Shelter 1
Fortified land gains "2, T: Exile a creature card from your hand face-down hiding in this land."
Whenever a creature attacks you, that creature's controller chooses a land you control. Put onto the battlefield each creature hidden in it.
Fortify 1
I really like this. but I can also tell it is very complex and it can be the heart of a deck by itself. You need big stuff, low land count and a good flow of cards in hand to take advantage of this and I can't think of an existing archetype in which this could fit. That said, I'd totally brew around this. One thing to point is that this should be worded as "Exile a card", since there:s a clash between demanding a creature card and exiling face down., plus, It will make bluffing more interesting.
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Nuisance Processor
Artifact — Fortification (U)
Fortified land has ", Sacrifice this land: Create two 0/1 colorless Pest artifact creature tokens."
Fortify (: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)
The rate of tokens per mana [plus lands) is quite bad. I would accept this in colorless, but green has a huge token-producing power.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Sea Gate Buttress 2U
Artifact - Fortification (U)
Fortified land has "T, Return this land to its owner's hand: Draw a card."
2UU, Sacrifice Sea Gate Buttress: Create a 4/4 blue Elemental creature token with flying. Activate this ability only if you have seven or more cards in your hand.
Fortify 2
This feels very Kefnet, so maybe the flavor would have been very solid if you went that route. As a card draw engine, it's quite uneffective, so the most important effect is the ability of rebuying land drops. I play myself Soratami Cloudskater in pauper to do that and in old extended I used to play a turboland package courtesy of quirion ranger in gw ponza, so I really see the value in that effect. This is more resilent than the Cloudskater and and more cost-effective in the long run than Kefnet. The ability to cash it for an Air Elemental is quite neat considering you don't need multiples and a good addition to hand-size matters.

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Mystic Well 2
Artifact-Fortification
Whenever fortified land is tapped for mana, add one mana of any color it could produce.
Fortify 1
I would only play this over any of the 3 mana tap-for-any color rocks if a fortification matters theme comes up. That said, I think this would take an undisputed spot as the basic fortification in such a scenario, specially as a common.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Viridian Outpost G
Artifact — Fortification (C)
Fortified land has "T: Add one mana of any color."
At the beginning of each end step, untap fortified land.
Fortify 1. (1: Attack to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)
The phyrexian threat has made strongholds out of campsites.
I think this design suffers of one of the quasi-inherent deaigns of foetifications, which is the lack of incentive to move it around. Most of the other designs I reviewed do have this issue solved.
MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Forepost Armory R
As long as fortified land is tapped, attacking creatures you control that share a color with a color of mana fortified land could produce get +1/+0.
Fortified land has "T: Add CC. Activate this ability only during combat."
Fortify R
By costing red to cast and to activate, this should have been limited to red creatures. The mana during combat goes well with red's affinity for combat tricks.
standings
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. slimytrout
3. RaikouRaider
Last edited by Henlock 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

RaikouRider: Shouldn't a scaffolding have reach? I think a Consulate Skygate variant might have been a better fit with the name.

netn10: A little confusing, and potentially grokkable if you can narrow your opponents choices.

Subject16: Multani's Harmony did not need to untap every turn.

MonoRedMage: Too complex for Uncommon, And why would it tap for double colorless during combat?

Henlock: Because... Academy Ruins needed to be cheaper to activate? I like the bonus for utility lands, and the land death trigger.

marioguy3: Way too broken for an Uncommon.

kwanyeegor-ii: Would be more balanced with an activation cost due to being able to remove flying.

Top 3
3. kwanyeegor-ii
2. RaikouRider
1. Henlock
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Replies are short due to time.

netn10: It's a creative card, but can be somewhat confusing for an uncommon. Definitely takes multiple readings, so is not quite elegant, but I adore the attempt.

Sojourner Dusk: I like the name and feels powerful as an uncommon, but fair. Thumbs up design.

slimytrout: This feels more like a rare type of card. As is, it's a neat design that probably will only see play in casual formats.

BeneTleilax: Simple, elegant, useful, and wonderous name.

Subject16: I think it's an interesting design, but it could potentially be a bit powerful.

MonoRedMage: Another uncommon with text that may require multiple readings to understand the card. As for the abilities, they seem functionally powerful, but the connection between abilities seem off.

Henlock: I love this type of fortified land ability, calling back to original designs of skullclamp. Punishes LD in appropriate ways while supporting land sac decks. Great work!

Top 3:

3rd: Henlock
2nd: Sojourner Dusk
1st: BeneTleilax
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend the critique period for the first two rounds for 24 hours

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Sojourner Dusk - I'm not sure if this is in the right colors. cool design but not many decks will sac multiple lands just to get 0/1 tokens

slimytrout - I feel like the elemental token could be a little bigger given the costs

BeneTleilax - really simple sensible design. meant to be common right? I really like it

Subject16 - Not sure if this is too strong with utility lands, but i like it still

MonoRedMage - Interesting design. Obviously best for ramping into instants

Henlock - great, feels like it is meant to fit a theme, not too powerful but unique. perfect uncommon

marioguy3 - I don't really get it... why the colorless mana, and I don't get the flavor at all

Top 3
1 henlock
2 monoredmage
3 slimytrout
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Just a top 3 this time.

RaikouRider
netn10
Sojourner Dusk
slimytrout
BeneTleilax
Subject16
kwanyeegor-ii

1. netn10
2. BeneTleilax
3. RaikouRider

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Just a T3 since I have to start my MCC judging:

RaikouRider
netn10
Sojourner Dusk
MonoRedMage
Henlock
marioguy3
kwanyeegor-ii

1. Henlock
2. RaikouRider
3. Sojourner Dusk

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And here are your top 8 contestants:

RaikouRider
Sojourner Dusk
slimytrout
Henlock
netn10
BeneTleilax
kwanyeegor-ii
MonoRedMage

Thanks everyone for playing so far. Next round to come later!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”