Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

CCL July Signups/Round 2

"Personalized Gear"

Vivien's Arkbow, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Zack Stella and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Planeswalker's Journey Month here in the CCL! Many classic CCL months back in MTGSalvation had the contestants take a single character from round to round. We're bringing that back this month.

Challenge
Design a legendary artifact card with your planeswalker from Round 1's name in its name. If you did not enter Round 1, design a monocolored planeswalker card to use as well.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • If you are making a planeswalker since you didn't enter Round 1, your card can represent an existing or new character. Please put it in spoiler tags in your post.
  • Your artifact card's name can include things like "Chandra's" or "of Ajani" to be valid. Referencing surnames and titles is also okay.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, July 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 30th–July 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (July 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due July 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 29th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Greatfoot Greaves 1R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has haste, trample, and "If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, it deals double that damage instead."
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may attach Greatfoot Greaves to it.
Equip 2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Round I
Show
Hide
Illiya, Samite Vestige WWW
Legendary Planeswalker — Illiya (M)
+1: Until your next turn, if a source would deal damage to you or another permanent you control, prevent 2 of that damage.
-3: Until your next turn, opponents can't cast spells and creatures can't attack.
-8: You get an emblem with "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you or permanents you control."
Illiya's Torc
Legendary Artifact (R)
Spells your opponents cast cost more to cast for each player or permanent that spell targets.
: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage. If 5 or more damage is prevented this way, draw a card.
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 years ago

round 1
Show
Hide
Yarav, Interplanar Collector 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Yarav(Mythic)
+2: Put a flying counter, a hexproof counter or a +1/+1 counters on target creature.
+0: Remove all counters from target creature. Draw a card for each counter removed this way.
-4: Gain control of target creature with a counter on it as long as you control Yarav.
{1}
Yarav's Toolkit U
Artifact (Rare)
2U, T: Put a flying counter, a hexproof counter or a +1/+1 counters on target creature.
4UU, T: If target creature has three different counter types on it, gain control of it. It becomes a 8/8 blue Eldrazi Octopus.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Round 1
Show
Hide
Lila, Phyrexian Outcast 3BB
Legendary Planeswalker - Lila {M}
Rather than removing loyalty counters to pay Lila's loyalty costs, you may take the same number of poison counters instead.
+1: You get a poison counter, then proliferate.
-X: Put X -1/-1 counters on up to one target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead and its controller gets a poison counter.
-10: Draw X cards and each opponent gets X poison counters, where X is the number of poison counters you have.
Lila's Forbidden Grimoire 3BB
Legendary Artifact {R}
This spell costs BB less to cast if you're poisoned.
3, T, Discard a nonland card: Destroy target creature if its converted mana cost is the same as the discarded card's converted mana cost.
Last edited by RaikouRider 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Artago's Plastron
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +0/+2.
Equipped creature has hexproof as long as a card was put on the bottom of your library this turn.
, attach Artago's Plastron to a creature you control: Target opponent looks at the top card of your library. They may put that card on the bottom of your library.
Equip
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Round 1 planeswalker
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Milena, Field Physicist 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker — Milena (Mythic)
+1: The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn costs 2 less to cast.
-2: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add R."
-7: Until end of turn, you may pay 0 rather than the mana cost for instant or sorcery spells that you cast.
Starting Loyalty:4
Milena's Archive 3RR
Legendary Artifact (Mythic)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand, you may pay R. If you do, exile it as it resolves.
3RRR, Sacrifice Milena's Archive: Cast any number of cards exiled with Milena's Archive without paying their mana costs.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Round 1 Planeswalker
Show
Hide
Carris, the Rootless 2G
Legendary Planeswalker — Carris (M)
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1, then put a loyalty counter on Carris if that land doesn't share a name with another land you control.
0: You may sacrifice a land. If you do, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a land card. Put that card onto the battlefield, then put each other card revealed this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-5: Gain control of each land target opponent controls until end of turn. Untap them. Those lands can't be sacrificed for as long as you control them.
[3]

Carris' Staff 1G
Legendary Artifact (R)
1G, T: Target creature you control explores.
Whenever a creature you control explores and a land card is revealed, you may put a loyalty counter on target planeswalker you control.
Suitable for long walks across plains and planes.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

Thrush's Magical Whistle
Legendary Artifact (Mythic Rare)
Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell each turn, put a whistle counter on Thrush's Magical Whistle.
, Remove a whistle counter from Thrush's Magical Whistle: Create a 2/2 blue bird creature token with flying.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Planeswalker
Show
Hide

Marius Ladio1rw
Legendary Planeswalker - Marius (r)
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. Untap that creature at the beginning of your end step.
0: Target vehicle becomes a creature until end of turn.
-5: You gain an emblem that reads "Only one nonvehicle creature can attack you each combat. Only one nonvehicle creature can block creatures you control each combat."
/3
Marius's Rotorcore
Artifact- Vehicle (r)
First Strike
Each noncreature, nonvehicle artifact is a Vehicle with base power 3/3 and Crew 1.
Whenever a Vehicle you control atacks, draw a card.
Crew 1
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend this round 24 hours.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Shinichi's Smartphone 2u
Legendary Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equip 3, Put 3 loyalty counters on the creature to be equipped if it has no loyalty counters on it
Equipped creature is a planeswalker in addition to its other types and has:
+2: Turn up to one facedown creature you control face up.
-2: Return target creature you control and target creature you don't control to their owners' hands.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! Please critique the seven contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

slimytrout
Sojourner Dusk
netn10
RaikouRider
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Subject16
Ink-Treader
marioguy3
Henlock
Phyrexian Editor

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Seems quite powerful. Embercleave is the best comparison I've got, but that notably has flash. It's certainly a little weaker than Embercleave, but also pretty explosive since it can sit around for a bit before it's relevant. Does have decent synergy with your planeswalker.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Story Circle isn't a bad card, and this blows it out of the water. It suits your planeswalker, but this feels far too powerful at what it does.
netn10
Show
Hide
It's alright. Feels like a copy of your planeswalker, sans the middle ability though.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Definitely feels like it's tied to your planeswalker. It's quite a bit of mana for something that can be tough to always have a target for. I wonder if it needed the nonland clause, since blowing up tokens doesn't seem like it'd be over the top.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
That's certainly interesting. It's a unique drawback to be able to quickly and cheaply hexproof something, though the fact that they can still respond before the ability sets the hexproof up can be a bit feel bad. Still, manages to stand out a bit from Neurok Stealthsuit.
Subject16
Show
Hide
That's pretty spicy. Comes down a bit late to easily get cards chucked into it, but that also helps keep it from doing anything too nutty. I like it.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
I think the loyalty counter thing probably has to be a triggered ability. That aside, it's definitely unusual. It's a cute card in terms of flavor, though I do still wonder about the heavy morph focus. It's got elements of being a tempo card, but feels too slow to be particularly good at that, though if a game goes long it can be a nuisance.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. RaikouRider
3. slimytrout
Last edited by Ink-Treader 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Got caught up (yay, life). Not enough time for reviews.

Top 3
3. Subject16
2. slimytrout
1. marioguy3
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Man, this would be a confusing card. The loyalty counters are put on as a cost? And what happens when the last counter is removed from a creature? And how does damage assignment work? Just too much to keep track of.
Henlock
Show
Hide
"Monocolor planeswalker" is required, so doesn't fit the challenge.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Way too weak to be a mythic rare -- arguably worse than Skywise Teachings, a perfectly fine uncommon. Also pretty similar to that card, so not terribly novel.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Fun and simple. The first ability is not terribly innovative, but the second one is. Although honestly, not sure it needs the land requirement, but I guess it's also there for flavor.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Very fun card, although *super* weak to artifact removal. You invest 5 mana up front, then, say, 3 mana as you stock spells, and then the turn before you're going to pop it your opponent destroys it, and not only are you out 8 mana and a card, but also all your spells are permanently exiled.
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Yes, I did have to look up what a plastron was. Another card that messes with costs in a confusing way - I can kind of see why it was done to avoid giving the opponent a chance to respond - but it still feels weird to me. Altogether quite a weak card -- the cheaper equip gives your opponent the chance to fateseal you, and the more expensive equip makes it a substantially worse Mirror Shield, so hardly rare material.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I really like it. Plays into the self-poison theme, but does so in a less self-synergistic way than Lila herself. Also has an unusual restriction of having the right card to discard.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Subject16
3. Ink-Treader

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 3 years ago

slimytrout: Very high powered and could either do without the trample or make the "double damage effect" symmetrical so that if a creature hits it, then that creature does double damage to it too (At its current low cost).

Sojourner Dusk: I actually enjoy the design of the card and would test really well in games. A fair taxing effect that messes up Fireball badly and makes strive practically unplayable.

netn10: I like the randomness of the stolen creature becoming an 8/8 octopus out of nowhere. Take that eldrazi and turn it into an octopus. Neat. And you can steal something small of yours with counters to ocean-monstrify it.

RaikouRider: This card works and synergizes quite well with the planeswalker, and they both give off credible rewards for playing the either one first.

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Pretty interesting design, with the unique cost of having a political aspect to it.

Subject16: There might be plenty of rules confusion with this card's first ability in regards to counterspells. You'd be better off having it just straight up exile the spell (While it not resolving), especially with the second ability's way of casting that exiled spell anyway. It would quite "LOL" against counterspell decks.

Ink-Treader: A bit of hoops to jump through and is a very specific design.

3rd: netn10
2nd: Sojouner Dusk
1st: RaikouRider
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending critiques for this round by 24 hours.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Shinichi's Smartphone 2u
Legendary Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equip 3, Put 3 loyalty counters on the creature to be equipped if it has no loyalty counters on it
Equipped creature is a planeswalker in addition to its other types and has:
+2: Turn up to one facedown creature you control face up.
-2: Return target creature you control and target creature you don't control to their owners' hands.
May I say that I am baffled how the Shinichi does not have a + ability, while a creature equipped with her (him? In my language it would be a female name) smartphone does.
Other then this I think there is a template error in equip cost (equip is keyword action that targets, so instead "creature to be equipped" it should have "on that creature") and I would move the putting loyalty into static, unrelated ability ("If you would attach Shinichi's Smartphone to a creature with no loyalty counters on it, put three loyalty counters on that creature first" or something similiar). It would be a lot cleaner and it would not cause Magnetic Theft to become removal, since now alternate attachment methods cause a creature to become planeswalker with no loyalty.
There are many issues with "Creature Planeswalker" cards if they are allowed to exist outside of your turn. Did you know that with Teferi, Temporal Archmage ultimate and any Gideon you could make Gideon block creatures that were attacking him? And this is only mildly hilarious, there are further problems down this road. The whole rules headache is probably not worth it.
Looking at the abilities itself, the +2 does not need any face-down creature. You can just increase the loyalty with no target at all. Is it wrong? Depending on who you ask, but I do not like it.
The second ability is messing with tempo, but also with yours. I can imagine that in many situations using it would result in returning the equipped creature to your hand and the vision of constant repaying for equip does not strike me as a deal.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
3 years ago
Planeswalker
Show
Hide
Marius Ladio1rw
Legendary Planeswalker - Marius (r)
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. Untap that creature at the beginning of your end step.
0: Target vehicle becomes a creature until end of turn.
-5: You gain an emblem that reads "Only one nonvehicle creature can attack you each combat. Only one nonvehicle creature can block creatures you control each combat."
/3
Marius's Rotorcore
Artifact- Vehicle (r)
First Strike
Each noncreature, nonvehicle artifact is a Vehicle with base power 3/3 and Crew 1.
Whenever a Vehicle you control atacks, draw a card.
Crew 1
3/3
I am afraid that this not qualify for the challange. While the artifact in question could be even five-colored I guess, there was a requirement of monocolored planeswlaker. Marius is not.
Anyway, it feels like one of those many attempts at giving the Boros fighting chance in EDH. Turning mana rocks into 3/3 vehicles that can be crewed by 1/1 tokens, which will refill your hand on attack step sounds impressive, if not like an overkill. And in the end, there is almost no real downside to mass-vehicling, as they are not subjected to creature removal as long as you do not wish so. So I think it is too powerful.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
3 years ago
Thrush's Magical Whistle
Legendary Artifact (Mythic Rare)
Whenever you cast your first instant or sorcery spell each turn, put a whistle counter on Thrush's Magical Whistle.
, Remove a whistle counter from Thrush's Magical Whistle: Create a 2/2 blue bird creature token with flying.
I think this is too shy in where it is going. Compared to aforementioned by someone Skywise Teachings or to Murmuring Mystic, it pales in comparison with non-legendary uncommons. Yes, Mystic's birds are 1/1 and in Teachings you have to pay immediately (though less), but the fact that they can trigger few times per turn is making Whistle cry in corner. The pay-off is just not there - while Rule of Law-counterspell decks would play it if there is no other option (steady token generator which is a mana dump), but even them would dislike it due to it being legendary.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Lila's Forbidden Grimoire 3BB
Legendary Artifact {R}
This spell costs BB less to cast if you're poisoned.
3, T, Discard a nonland card: Destroy target creature if its converted mana cost is the same as the discarded card's converted mana cost.
It is fun. A nice Counterbalance riff, with a flavourful cost reduction both for the black and for Lila. I cannot say much more then this - I simply enjoy the sheer motivation to calculate converted mana cost of your permanents to both get the best deal out of them and from the Grimoire. It works nicely with blue - Unsummon instants can be weaponized as a last ditch effort to kill something and I mention it, because as of now the blue holds the most cards that care about player being poisoned (whole two, but still)
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
Yarav's Toolkit U
Artifact (Rare)
2U, T: Put a flying counter, a hexproof counter or a +1/+1 counters on target creature.
4UU, T: If target creature has three different counter types on it, gain control of it. It becomes a 8/8 blue Eldrazi Octopus.
Ha! The cost to put the same counter as in Yarav's first ability is , which is the same as Yarav's cost itself. This is neat.
However, I am still wary of hexproof counters. Even more so here, as the ways to untap artifact are more numerous and easier then to activate planeswalker twice a turn. Even the bigger mana cost in the long run is not a big deterrent, I am afraid.
That said, the second ability is interesting. Toolkit nor Yarav cannot feed it by themselves - as one of the counters would be a hexproof one, which complicates the thieving - so you have to rely on opponents creatures having diffrent then +1/+1 counter on them. As of now, there is a small pool of cards like Unexpected Fangs, which could be weaponized, but it is a handful of cards as of now (and one of it gives flying counter, to makes things worse). So in most situations it would not be used as a theft, but as a buff on your own creature, a blue Gigantomancer. While there is a Biomass Mutation, this is not feeling much in color. But as this is not the only use, I would complain about it no longer.
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Illiya's Torc
Legendary Artifact (R)
Spells your opponents cast cost more to cast for each player or permanent that spell targets.
: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage. If 5 or more damage is prevented this way, draw a card.
Inverted Battlefield Thaumaturge. More then this, ofcourse, but it is the first thing I see.
The fact that the tax applies also to auras, curses and Banishing Light variants is a nice touch, but it might be overlooked in play. Other then this it is a good hate piece, either casted for or (bringing in mind Lodestone Golem when cast as such).
The activated ability is excessive though. It is better Story Circle, in both flexibility of cost and range of targets. And it has a card draw stapled to it, which while takes some hoops to jump, still feels too straightforward for white to have it. In most cases it would be just an additional rattlesnake-factor however, as rarely any opponent would attack you with 5+ amount of damage seeing what you can do with it.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Greatfoot Greaves 1R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has haste, trample, and "If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, it deals double that damage instead."
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may attach Greatfoot Greaves to it.
Equip 2
This, Onakke Ogre. Just as with the Angus itself! Well sort of, at least.
The true target is the Combat Celebrant Ball Lightning Cosmic Larva Phyrexian Soulgorger. But to be real here - 4/2 vanilla commons for are not unheard in red as of now. They are playable in limited as they are and if you happen to have some combat tricks then even better. A bigger creature at this converted mana cost, especially if it happens to have some useful abilities, is definitely playable in standard. Giving them both haste and trample usually means getting in at least two damage, unless opponent have high toughness creatures. And now double this damage done to face. I have not played against Embercleave, but from what I have heard, it had similiar "rapid swings from nowhere" that I see in this card. Even upping a cost to would change much in the dynamic.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRaider
2. slimytrout
3. netn10

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

1) Henlock
2) Subject16
3) slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the top 8 scorers are the following:

RaikouRider
Subject16
slimytrout
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Ink-Treader
marioguy3
Sojourner Dusk
Jimmy Groove

Congrats to them all. Next round to come either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”