New Challenge Every Day Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Since the New Challenge Every Day is firmly ingrained as the fourth full monthly contest, it is long overdue that it got its own dedicated discussion thread.

Below in the spoiler can be found the BBCode for the thread template.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Code: Select all

[b][u]Today's Challenge:[/u][/b] 
[size=150][/size]

[B][U].::To Enter::.[/U][/B]
In a single post:
[list]Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)[/list]
[list]Make a card that fits the current challenge.[/list]
[list]Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.[/list]

Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

[B][U].::Scoring::.[/U][/B]
[align=center]
[/align]

[B][U].::Note of the Day::.[/U][/B]

[B][U].::Yesterday's Submissions::.[/U][/B]
[size=120][/size]
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My first important piece of business: I'm hoping to find someone else to host the contest for November. If you're interested please post here or in the Monthly Contest Hosting Signup thread. You would only have to commit to the month, no longer - having a break from this contest would simply make things easier for me.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

I can jump back into NCED next month and take over hosting duties.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
I can jump back into NCED next month and take over hosting duties.
Thank you so much. If you need anything from me in order to host, feel free to PM.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Yesterday's challenge (Cleave cost less than the MV) was a great exploration of the Cleave ability.

Overall, it makes me think that Cleave has ample room to come back, looks like they've barely explored the design space at all, and having the Cleave be less than the base cost really sets it apart from Kicker. My initial complaint about Cleave was that it was basically kicker under a new name, but this proves my interpretation wrong.
And, quite honestly, the name makes more sense with lower costs than the way it was done in the actual set, "Cleave" means to cut through, so why were the spells larger when Cleaved? Sits better in my mind they way we did it in the challenge.

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 2 years ago

@void_nothing today's post ifs missing the cards to vote

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congrats to January's winner @netn10!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Tonight's thread will be going up a couple hours earlier than normal.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

dyd wrote:
2 years ago
I had to google it because I didn't know the name 😅 ... so I'd say no, it's completely unintentional 😉
Funny, that - I had meant to comment that about @JovialJovian's card, which I'm certain IS an intentional reference. I'm assuming your entry was a reference to The Fast & The Furious Mad Max II Ford vs. Ferrari Herbie Goes Bananas Cars 2

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

@void_nothing Yes, it was a Gurren Lagann reference. I was disappointed that there wasn't one amid all the anime mecha stuff in Neon Dynasty.

dyd
Randomancer

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
dyd wrote:
2 years ago
I had to google it because I didn't know the name 😅 ... so I'd say no, it's completely unintentional 😉
Funny, that - I had meant to comment that about @JovialJovian's card, which I'm certain IS an intentional reference. I'm assuming your entry was a reference to The Fast & The Furious Mad Max II Ford vs. Ferrari Herbie Goes Bananas Cars 2
Actually, it was an accurate reference to my-6-years-old-self. But Mad Max is fine too :D

dyd
Randomancer

netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Today I learned that there's only one card in existence with the word "noninstant"!
"Noninstant, nonsorcery cards" is usually templated as "permanent cards" ;-)
It's strange it's the only one using "noninstant"... seems like there should be a card giving flash to noninstant spells while limiting instants to sorcery speed.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
votes: dyd, void_nothing (though I don't quite understand the name?)
The idea was a collective noun for a secret resistance movement. Like, "I'll contact the underground."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I would love it if someone could take the contest over for next month. If you'd like to volunteer, just let me know - I'd be very grateful!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@TheAmericanSpirit and @netn10 are both missing votes and/or IIWs from today - please get those in!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

JovialJovian wrote:
1 year ago
Hmm, seems I forgot to hit 'Submit' on yesterday's challenge...
Curious to see your card now!

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
JovialJovian wrote:
1 year ago
Hmm, seems I forgot to hit 'Submit' on yesterday's challenge...
Curious to see your card now!
Order of Condemnation XWB
Instant (R)
Choose X -
- Destroy target artifact.
- Destroy target creature.
- Destroy target enchantment.
- Destroy target planeswalker.

It was nothing super special, but I wrote it up, and did a IIW, and votes, and then I guess I just closed the tab? Weird.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Hmm, I like that JJ. Nice and clean. Maybe kind of pushed - blast a creature + something else for four mana - but as a design it's neat.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 1 year ago

I had the power level of Crush Contraband in mind with it, though I suppose that does land it in the "a bit pushed" design space.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Don't forget that Crush Contraband is less versatile in several ways - it hits two fewer card types AND it always costs four mana even if it's exiling one thing. "Destroy target nonland permanent" for 1WB and an instant is already strong.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

JovialJovian wrote:
1 year ago
votes: kwanyeegor-ii, netn10 (though, that's a strange way to write "Slivers have menace")
I think the intent was to make it stack - so if you have 2 of these in play it would take 3 creatures to block your slivers.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations to August's winner @netn10!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

I have a question to all people that are playing or used to play NCED: when you give your vote, do you evaluate the submissions on how much they fit the prompt, or do you compare them as if the prompt no longer existed? Something in between? Something else?
I am asking, because I personally value the submissions by how much they fit the prompt and at the same time how much they diverge from it, like a title and poem - combination of both organic and unexpected. But when I do not understand the prompt - I know what Peanuts are, but I had never read them - it becomes hard for me to choose. So I am interested how other players deal with such a situation and if they ever find themselves in it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

In the case of that round, I saw other contestants making cards referencing concepts from Peanuts, Charles M. Schultz's classic comic strip. However, since there is a silver-bordered character in Magic named "Peanuts" I used this approach instead. Of course, when the prompt is one word with multiple meanings, it can produce multiple types of valid entries like this. For me any idea of fitting the prompt is a binary: either it does (from one or another point of view) or does not. If a card doesn't fit, I just won't vote for it; otherwise, I judge designs in a vacuum.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations @CunningGabe for winning September!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”