The CCL Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

What Is the CCL?

The CCL, or Card Creation League, is a custom card contest held every month in which each contestant's cards are critiqued and judged by their fellow contestants. Entry is open to anyone for the first two rounds, and follows an elimination format afterwards: The top eight overall scorers move on to the third round, the top four scorers of the third round move on to the fourth round, and the top two scorers of the fourth round move on to the finals. After the final round, a public poll is posted, and the contestant with the most votes is the winner of the month.

Each round has its own theme and challenge, and after the entry period rounds have a critique period in which each contestant writes a critique for six other entrants, and ranks their top three cards from the ones they judged. Each number one ranking earns a contestant 3 points, each number two earns 2, and each number one earns 1.

This thread is for general discussion of this contest. All posts that are not entries or judgments in the round threads will be considered spam.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

A contestant's score in each CCL round is determined by the following formula:

(s + c + t) / (3 * o)

Where s is the total amount of points their entry has scored, c is 1 if they submitted critiques and 0 otherwise, t is 1 if they submitted a top 3 and 0 otherwise, and o is the number of other contestants who evaluated that contestant that round.

Example:

A contestant submits critiques and a Top 3 for a round. Five other contestants had that contestant in their scoring bracket and in all, gave two #3s and a #1 spot. This makes their score (1+1+3+1+1) / (3 *5) = 7/15 points, or 0.467.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Reserved for FAQ

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Question: How exactly does voting work for the entries?

From what I can infer by reading your closing statement on the August CCL, Round 1 thread, I only get to vote on the six entries following my entry (looping to the top if necessary), critiquing as necessary and selecting my top 3 from those six. Is this correct?
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You should critique all six of the contestants you've been assigned (which are the next six whose usernames fall below yours on the list) and then rank a #1, #2, and #3 favorite card from among them.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
You should critique all six of the contestants you've been assigned (which are the next six whose usernames fall below yours on the list) and then rank a #1, #2, and #3 favorite card from among them.
That was what I thought, but I wasn't certain. Thank you for the clarification. I'll look them over in the morning, because it's getting really friggin' late over here and I've had a rough day.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I don't really know if this is the right place to put this, but since it is discussion of a card I made for CCL, It seems appropriate.

Specifically, this is about the reasoning behind the name of the "C'ren" card I made.

Long story short, it was the name of a monstrous villain of a D&D campaign I made a long time ago that fell apart before the PC's had the chance to meet him. Thrulls were supposed to be a major part of it, and he was supposed to be their leader. A massive winged monster that was a lot smarter than his hulking form let on. A lot of the characters and monsters from said campaign that never got used have I since turned into MTG cards that I may share one day. One of the more fun ones is a cursed knight that has become a plant spirit and whose original name was lost to the aeons. Another is a goblin that is way, way, way too obsessed with weapons.

Jae

Post by Jae » 4 years ago

I see I've flown through some light flak for my card posting style. So, a question and an explanation.

Is posting full card images not allowed?

The pictures are relevant landscapes or other neutral images as the art for the actual cards from my MSE-collated personal expansions are for my sole, private use as I rarely have the artist's permission to share in any form. Plus, as others are not using images, it would be grossly unfair for me to do so.
"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time. Go." - Henry Rollins

I write books - http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Historically (on mtgs) people have tried to find art that is under a Creative Commons license that allows it to be used and shared provided you are not selling it, and that any derivative works are subject to the same license.

As far as card renders go, most common practice is to always include a text version of that card even if you are posting a render

Jae

Post by Jae » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
...always include a text version of that card even if you are posting a render
Noted. Thank you.
"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time. Go." - Henry Rollins

I write books - http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Today's the last entry day for Round 2. If you haven't entered yet, now's the time; if you have, look over your entry to make sure it's what you want and it conforms to the challenge.

If two days is too short for critiques at the end of this round I'll give an extension to round 1 and 2 critiques.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Since two days may be a bit too inconvenient for critiques for round 2 (and finishing for round 1 for those who find it necessary) I'll give a one-day extension. If you've started critiques but haven't finished, please finish them off. If you haven't submitted a top 3 for one of the two rounds, please do so as well.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Top 8 round will be up later in the day. I apologize for the delay, but also, it seems like more critique time is needed. I will adjust the schedule to reflect this.

Cardz5000

Do creatures with G in their casting cost, but Devoid or a similar ability qualify?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Do creatures with G in their casting cost, but Devoid or a similar ability qualify?
Technically, yes - cards with devoid are no colors in any zone, so...

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

During this top 8 stage, do we critique (and pick top 3 out of) the 6 people after us (i.e. all but one person) or all 7 other people?

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

According to void_nothing on the "Top 8" thread, you will critique everyone else's submission (so 7 critiques) and give a top three among the contestants.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

*sigh*

People have no appreciation for references to Homelands. :(

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
*sigh*

I liked the Rhino but I didn't know it was a Homelands reference.

Can I just say I really like the CCL's prompts so far?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
*sigh*

I liked the Rhino but I didn't know it was a Homelands reference.

Can I just say I really like the CCL's prompts so far?
Clockwork creatures was a minor theme in the set, and it also contained a common trampling artifact Rhino for 7. So I combined the two, but used the new clockwork template because it is less wordy.

I am also quite enjoying the CCL prompt, and I am enjoying coming up with themes in case I would get lucky and winning.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I am also quite enjoying the CCL prompt, and I am enjoying coming up with themes in case I would get lucky and winning.
What does the winner do? I haven't read anything yet in the OP here or in CCL threads describing obligations placed on the winner, but it sounds like you're suggesting the CCL winner organises themes for the next month (or the next month in its entirety). Is that what happens?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

There's no obligation placed on the CCL winner. However, if winning (or participating at all) makes you want to sign up to organize a future CCL, go for it! I'll be running the CCL for September again as I already have a theme planned, but October and future months are still available if anyone wants to try their hand at running the contest or if anyone who's previously done so wishes to organize the contest again.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
What does the winner do? I haven't read anything yet in the OP here or in CCL threads describing obligations placed on the winner, but it sounds like you're suggesting the CCL winner organises themes for the next month (or the next month in its entirety). Is that what happens?
Lol, mixed it up with another competition I am part off. That's what I get for operating on four hours of sleep, and tomorrow is going to go much the same because I need to get up at 7 to go to a doctors appointment for a diabetes checkup. :x

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Finalists [mention]barbecube[/mention] and [mention]spacemonaut[/mention]: August's final round is up.

Everyone: September's first round is up.

Cardz5000

[mention]Krishnath[/mention]
A friendly reminder that ability words are not rules text and don't carry any mechanical meaning. You'll want to make sure to spell out what desertfall actually means (take a look at how landfall is formatted for an example.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”