The CCL Discussion Thread

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

@dangerousdice just a heads up that if you want your mention to show up as a notification, you have to use the "mention" tag and the result will be that the name is bolded, like this: @JessWill, dangerousdice correctly pointed out that your card doesn't meet the Round 2 challenge.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

If you're playing in May please make sure to get in your round 1 and 2 critiques as well as vote in April's final!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

@bravelion83 The reason the Round 2 card had to be worded like that is because I'm unsure the rules support exchanging control of something on the battlefield with something on the stack. If the rules currently support it, then that's my bad. It was also worded this way to try to prevent ETB abuse on an effect so strong.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
@bravelion83 The reason the Round 2 card had to be worded like that is because I'm unsure the rules support exchanging control of something on the battlefield with something on the stack. If the rules currently support it, then that's my bad. It was also worded this way to try to prevent ETB abuse on an effect so strong.
I remembered it had been done before and I've found it, what you're looking for is Perplexing Chimera from Born of the Gods. So yes, the rules apparently do support it.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending May's Round 1 and 2 critiques until 23:59 Eastern tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout is your April CCL winner!

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Clarification question for June Round 1:
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
a creature card with a non-evergreen mechanic from Tarkir block or earlier
Does a mechanic that was first printed before Tarkir but that has been reprinted after Tarkir count? For example, cycling (reprinted in Amonkhet) or madness (reprinted in Shadows over Innistrad).
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Does a mechanic that was first printed before Tarkir but that has been reprinted after Tarkir count? For example, cycling (reprinted in Amonkhet) or madness (reprinted in Shadows over Innistrad).
Yes, that's just fine. First printing is all I care about here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Neoplax Coating GU
Enchantment (U)
Creatures you control with counters on them get +1/+1.
Reinforce—2GU (2GU, Discard this card: Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.)
When Neoplax Coating reinforces a creature, put a hexproof counter on that creature.
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Ceaseless Nightmare 5UB
Sorcery {M}
Each player mills five cards. Then put a permanent card from each graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)
The challenge calls for a creature card - please make sure to edit!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

June's CCL round 1 is closing tomorrow and could use more players - the more the merrier!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

One more day to post in June's first round - give it a shot!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Pyropunch R
Instant (C)
Pyropunch deals 2 damage divided as you choose between any number of targets.
"You have two hands, use them both!"
—Jaya Ballard

Burning Sword 3R
Artifact — Equipment (U)
Flash
When Burning Sword enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target red creature you control.
Equipped creature has first strike and "Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 2 damage divided as you choose among any number of targets."
Equip 2R

Weapon Mastery 3RR
Enchantment (R)
Flash
Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, Weapon Mastery deals damage equal to the number of attacking creatures divided as you choose among any number of targets.

Hostile Dragon XRR
Creature — Dragon (M)
Flash
Flying
Hostile Dragon enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Hostile Dragon can't block.
When Hostile Dragon enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to its power divided as you choose between any number of targets.
0/0
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Infectious Growth 3G
Instant (C)
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature, then proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
Not all contagions spread destruction.

Aetheric Charger 2UG
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Flash
Vigilance
Whenever Aetheric Charger attacks or blocks, you get EE.
When Aetheric Charger is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, proliferate.
Crew 2
4/4

Withering Ward 1BGU
Enchantment (R)
Flash
Whenever one or more creatures deal combat damage to you, put a -1/-1 counter on one of those creatures, then proliferate.
"Enter this place only if you do not wish to leave."
-Inscription on the sanctum of the Rakshasa

Atraxa, Implacable Envoy GWUB
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Angel (M)
Flash, flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose any number:
•Mill four cards. You gain 4 life.
•You lose 4 life. Draw a card.
•Discard a card. Create a 2/2 Horror token with infect.
•Sacrifice a permanent. Proliferate.
4/4
@bravelion83 @slimytrout That was, in fact, very fast - you can both have the rest of the round to edit if you like but if you're both ready to move on to the poll early please let me know.

slimytrout

@void_nothing From my end, I'd be happy to move on to the poll by midnight (ET) today, but it'd be great to have until then to make tweaks/catch mistakes.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

I would like one more day to ponďer and eventually make adjustments, there are still a couple details in my submission that don't fully convince me, I want to take some time to think about those and try to make it the best it can be.

EDIT: I've edited my submission to tweak a couple mana costs. Now I'm good to go ahead if you (@void_nothing) want and @slimytrout agrees.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to reiterate my congratulations to @slimytrout on a close victory in May's CCL! Both contestants had a great final round last month imho.

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

is their an opening for judging @void_nothing ?

slimytrout

@dangerousdice in the CCL, there are no "judges" -- the contestants submit card designs and also critique the other designs (until the final round, which is decided by a poll of the entire community). Maybe you're looking for the MCC judge signup?

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
@Subject16? I'm happy to offer all the contestants an extension.
@void_nothing Am I still allowed to edit my sumbission post even if Subject16 has posted and the deadline is passed? I guess not and in the doubt I didn't, but I have just noticed a rather relevant detail I would like to change. I definitely understand if it's not allowed. In fact I would probably not allow it myself as host. In the end it is my fault, I should have seen it before.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
@Subject16? I'm happy to offer all the contestants an extension.
@void_nothing Am I still allowed to edit my sumbission post even if Subject16 has posted and the deadline is passed? I guess not and in the doubt I didn't, but I have just noticed a rather relevant detail I would like to change. I definitely understand if it's not allowed. In fact I would probably not allow it myself as host. In the end it is my fault, I should have seen it before.
You are allowed. I have yet to close the round.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

If anyone would like to host the CCL next month, please let me know.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

This has been a very busy prerelease weekend - I should be able to get critiques done tomorrow night.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I would encourage everyone to vote in June's final poll!

slimytrout

Seconded! There are some fun cards this round (if I do say so myself) -- Magus of the Mine is just *chef's kiss*

slimytrout

Come on folks! Surely we can do better than 4 votes (particularly since one of those is me)! It really only takes two minutes to go check out the cards and decide which bunch you prefer, and there's only 9 hours left to vote.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
(particularly since one of those is me)
and another one is me
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”