The CCL Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Shouldn't this be six as usual and not seven?
No, it should not - the CCL will be asking for seven critiques in the first two rounds this month as an experiment - one more crit per contestant isn't a lot more effort, but in exchange there'll be a significant increase in the average number of evaluations everyone gets.

In fact, I announced this a week ago in this same thread.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

I'm sorry I missed it, my bad

EDIT: I've found the post.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
As the April CCL starts in the morning, just a small announcement in advance: spacemonaut, the April CCL organizer, and I have discussed and for this upcoming month contestants in rounds 1 and 2 will be asked to critique the next seven entries on the list at the end of the round instead of the next six.

This is on a trial basis, so if you finish up critiquing and find that seven is too many, speak up. But as a longtime organizer AND player I think that asking for one more critique per round will go a long way to increasing the number of evaluations every player gets without placing much of an additional burden on everyone. Thank you all for your understanding, and we hope to see a big turnout for April!
I don't think seven is too many, but I wished the discussion about the change was here and public instead of hidden and private. Every change in any of the three main contests should be discussed in the respective discussion thread IMO, that's why I put it in the MCC guidelines when I wrote them. Anyway, this is just a minor thing luckily, I still hope that eventual major changes are discussed here publicly. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that it's my fault for missing the post, but this is my opinion.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

@Ink-Treader Note that the wedge card in Top 4 must be Legendary

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

@RaikouRider This is a courtesy ping to remind you that part of your top 4 entry is still TBD. Entries close in approximately 12 hours.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Is there any reason - perhaps a form of courtesy - to wait with critique for the first round until the end of the second one? Or can I just post critique the moment I have it ready?
Thanks in advance.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Is there any reason - perhaps a form of courtesy - to wait with critique for the first round until the end of the second one? Or can I just post critique the moment I have it ready?
Thanks in advance.
There's no reason to wait if you're ready.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

@void_nothing The clarifications are broken in Round 2. One of the bullet points is just a backslash.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

The April CCL final poll is up. Please vote for our candidates.

With that, I would also like to open up the floor to feedback. This was my first CCL, and if the stars align I may host more. How did you feel about this month? What did you like that you'd like to see more of? What did you dislike, or what would you like to see less of? Was anything missing that you would like to have seen present?

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

@netn10: Just a heads up that it doesn't seem like your current Round 2 submission satisfies the challenge, since devoid says "this creature is colorless," and a creature obviously can't be both colorless and multicolored, so currently you have a colorless card with the word "colorless" on it.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Is Converge just a rebranded Sunburst since the suns of Mirrodin aren't really a thing anymore?
Converge is its own mechanic from Battle for Zendikar, which expanded on sunburst to allow for different effects - some cards just stuck with counters, while others had more novel uses. One major difference is that sunburst is a keyword mechanic (that is, it always does the same thing), whereas converge is an ability word since it has a variety of effects. In this case, I chose converge partly for flavor, but mostly because sunburst on a vehicle would add charge counters, not +1/+1 counters (because it enters as a noncreature artifact) and then I'd have to have more rules text saying it gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on it.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Is Converge just a rebranded Sunburst since the suns of Mirrodin aren't really a thing anymore?
Converge is its own mechanic from Battle for Zendikar, which expanded on sunburst to allow for different effects - some cards just stuck with counters, while others had more novel uses. One major difference is that sunburst is a keyword mechanic (that is, it always does the same thing), whereas converge is an ability word since it has a variety of effects. In this case, I chose converge partly for flavor, but mostly because sunburst on a vehicle would add charge counters, not +1/+1 counters (because it enters as a noncreature artifact) and then I'd have to have more rules text saying it gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on it.
I admit I had completely forgotten Converge existed. Thanks.

Phyrexian Editor

Quick question about the Top 8 challenge: Would just giving a spell Converge or Sunburst satisfy the challenge?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Quick question about the Top 8 challenge: Would just giving a spell Converge or Sunburst satisfy the challenge?
I didn't have those mechanics in mind, but yes, they do count.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Henlock
Show
Hide
Hipolitia, the Deemer 2w
Legendary Creature - Angel Advisor (m)
Flying
When Hipolitia, the Deemer enters the battlefield, destroy all other permanents with converted mana cost 3 or greater if wubrg was spent to cast it.
3/3
There's no way on the card to cast this for wubrg, so this only works with Jodah, Archmage Eternal/other shenanigans. Maybe that was your intention.
Not gna speak for henlock but... this is a legend... if u use this as your commander and cast from command zone with commander tax, you will pay 4W or more... this is the easiest way to use the ability imo, it is mostly a card for this format
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

netn10 wrote:
3 years ago
/// Duality (You may cast either side of this card) ///
Can I suggest clarifying where the duality text lives? It can't live in the void of DFC separator notation. :P

(Aftermath similarly actually exists on a card face, but I at least know where that one goes.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Could I request a 24 hour extension for the May Finals? Finally back to work, and it's wreaking havoc with my free time.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Ink-Treader Take your time. Mazel tov at getting back to work, that's a good thing for sure.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Heads up @Henlock, but marioguy's submission increases the cost of your instants and sorceries, not decreases them.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

Yeah, he PM'd about that. Will rejudge it!

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Am I allowed to talk about my card? Putting it in spoilers for now.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Triskaidekaphobia and Heartless Hidetsugu has a baby and it's this card. I tried to find some keywords for it but I couldn't find a combo that was 13 letters. If you know any I'd love to hear em cuz I couldn't come up with any. Other than that it's the only monoblack Spirit Warrior.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Belated congratulations in the discussion thread to Ink-Treader, May's CCL victor.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Phyrexian Editor As the clarifications say, "Your card doesn't have to be for a Kamigawan character." I'm not going to be requiring Kamigawa as the setting for the cards this month; I'm only using it as general inspiration.

Phyrexian Editor

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Phyrexian Editor As the clarifications say, "Your card doesn't have to be for a Kamigawan character." I'm not going to be requiring Kamigawa as the setting for the cards this month; I'm only using it as general inspiration.
Got it. That's what I assumed. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”