The CCL Discussion Thread

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

You're absolutely right, I totally read reminder text starting with "if this card is in your graveyard..." and filled in the rest from there.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Wow my first final!

Just wanna say it was a difficult challenge and youre all impressive designers so I'm happy to have made it and I look forward to competing against @MonoRedMage.

Couple of design notes I thought I'd mention. Oanna was my take on a sorta OG Nissa iconic planeswalker. Being elf focused makes her very insular so I tried to expand on that and I thought the Druid Plant connection was a little more broad and a Soulbond lord allowed her to still work even without Plant Druid tribal. I wasnt super happy with the ultimate as it required you to commit to the tribal aspect but I figured savvy players would work around that.

Overall she seemed fun and I would totally build a plant druid tribal soulbond deck to play her. Theres actually quite a few fun plants and druids that would be fun together.

Spell Spiral was intended to be as simple as possible to show off the mechanic. I think theres a lot of design room there but I didnt wanna muddy the card.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Hey, same to you, should be a fun round! Good luck!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Just so everyone knows - December's final poll is up!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just a couple hours remain in the December poll!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations @MonoRedMage for winning December's CCL!

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone that voted for me and congrats to MonoRedMage. Very solid designs ill give my comments on after I share my design notes.

This was a very challenging design contest and I feel like I got lucky a few times.

Seamus the Suspicious and Seamus the Sure - This is basically my DND character. Essentially a spoiled noble Orc that has very little understanding of anything other than his own interests, however he maintains a very thinly veiled facade of more or less pretending to be a cleric, and for some reason he keeps getting away with it. Are you gonna question the hulking orc? I think not.

Anyways, he wears a clerics robe which he almost certainly stole from a dead body since it has stab holes and dried blood, but people seem to be drawn to him since hes very friendly and seems kind. Just dont turn your back on him. Hes extremely cowardly and will absolutely stab you in the back then say he watched you fall on your sword. But hes such a great guy!

In battle hes essentially Mr. Magoo. Hell slay in one hit the guy that took out half your party by accident, then almost get himself killed in one hit, again completely by accident. You really dont wanna be standing anywhere near this guy cuz hes a walking disaster magnet.

Mechanically this is difficult to represent, his ability is essentially a multiplayer havoc Kor ability. In his first version hes just there to make combat math a pain then run away. His second version is more in line with my vision, (Mr. Magoo!) but I think its harder to Grok. Indestructible while attacking is essentially trinket text but functions as "Ill kill one thing in combat for sure, then probably die before going, "Oopsies!".

Oanna V2: I already commented a little on Oanna V1 but I forgot to say theyre basically Swamp Thing. V1 is more "helpful scientist(Druid) thats also a huge Plant looking human but is neither", and V2 is when you piss it off. One thing of interest, any PW that animates has the line" It's still a planeswalker" I ommited this tho.cuz it seems superfluous although I recall Wizards had some reasoning I just dont remember.

Bag of Ingredients/ Presdigitators EQ
Bag - This is essentially the DND version dressed up as a fancy Aether vial. I kept it equip Wizard only because I feel that justifies the typeline otherwise its seems weird to me.
Hat/Robe - I put on my Wizard hat and robe! I knew i wanted to do something referencing that. The sleight of hand for a robe seemed perfect. Look here. The transform feels like, " Ok now look over here.

The hat was harder. I knew I wanted to represent disappearing or reappearing, but how. My favorite movie about wizards in The Prestige(Sorry Harry), can i reference that... AHA! If you havent seen the prestige
Spoiler
Show
Hide
Theres two of them!
. Yes its very strong but I think limitin it to wizard makes it "fair" I think i shoulda made it cost 1UU tho.

Double Guess - This is one weird card. I know it looks out of color but I dont think it is. It seems OP but I went through all the different scenarios I could think of and while strong its really only an enabler and requires very specific scenarios to be of great use. Really its for casting that counterspell when you forgot to leave 2 untapped, weve all been there I bet. ;)

MRM -

Prospector - Awesome. He reminds me of that goblin that makes a treasure but doesnt cost RR. This has more flexibility and can be a beater later.
Nichinar - Always loved furnace of Rath and this is that on steroids.
Gate - Deadbridge chant is one of my favorite cards and this is like that but more gradual.
Call - Demons and graveyard shenanigans speaks to me then the warlock tribal and big red beaters puts it over the top. This is the mechanic id be most excited to play!

Happy to have made it to the final and look forward to next time.

slimytrout

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
At just three mana, this is an inexpensive Cranial Extraction, with a body attached to it .. and the ability to cast the card. See what I'm getting at? I know the power level's increased in the game, but that's a little much.
I think you may have misread the card (or Cranial Extraction) -- for 3 mana, this only gets a single copy out of their hand/deck/graveyard. It's definitely very strong if they happen to be holding a copy, but pulling a single copy out of their deck is only going to match cranial extraction if, say, they're playing Neobrand (and some versions even play two demons). As Rumpy noted in his critique, the comparison with Praetor's Grasp is more accurate, and while I admit that my card might be more powerful due to its scalability, it isn't strictly better because you can only cast the card as long as the creature is alive, so, even if you name Lightning Bolt your opponent can always respond to the ETB trigger with the one in their hand to deny you the chance to cast it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Currently seeking a host for the February CCL - please post in this thread if you'd like to sign up.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

I will need another day for January CCL.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
I will need another day for January CCL.
And you shall have it

slimytrout

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Flavorfully, this could just be an hourglass; eliminating "pendant" snips four words from the card, and keeps the font size in the text box legible.
Gerrard's hourglass pendant is an existing piece of lore -- it is one of the only pieces of The Legacy that doesn't have a card made for it.

It's also not totally about time travel -- the original flavor (citation) was that it allowed Gerrard to redo one event from history which, now that regenerate is deprecated, I kind of reskinned as temporary indestructibility since it was too hard to balance without having something else to do with the counters.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Or, y'know, call it an hourglass in the cardname, and have artwork indicating it's a pendant in an hourglass shape. (If you prefer, vice versa).

You can't always count on everyone reading the lore, or, for that matter, caring to. If it ain't on the card....

slimytrout

But I mean, it's not actually an hourglass -- it's a pendant in the shape of an hourglass. So if I called it an hourglass it would be wrong, because Gerrard doesn't have an hourglass, he has a pendant. Whereas if I called it a pendant then the flavor wouldn't make sense to anyone who didn't know that Gerrard's pendant was shaped like an hourglass. I wasn't trying to be mean and say that your judgement is wrong and you should have known about Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant -- which is, honestly, kinda obscure -- I was just trying to explain why I gave it the name that I did.

Also, there are definitely cards in supplemental sets that don't make much flavor sense if you don't know the deep lore. We can debate whether those are a good idea, but they get printed with some regularity.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congratulations to January's winner @Rumpy5897!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Just wanted to say that I've been working on my submission for February's final over the weekend and I'll try to get my cards in today but I might need to ask for an extension.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be a one day extension for the first round in March. If we will not have enough participants from both the first and the second round, we will have a top 6 this month instead of top 8.
Come and try!

Lorn Asbord Schutta

As some of you might have already noticed, round 2 for March is up!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Venedrex prevails in the February CCL finals!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

@Lorn Asbord Schutta I'm really sorry, I just realized I broke the rules on my card about both sides being the same color. I even saw what you said, then just got so excited about finding a word combo I went right on ahead and forgot about it.

I'm not sure if you want me to stay in since the card is already there, but I'd be happy to resign since my card doesn't meet the challenge. Not sure if I can officially forfeit, but if it would make things easier I'd like to since everyone who judges my card will just have to rightly rule it out because it broke the rules. Again, apologies for being the one numbskull who broke the rules of the challenge. :?
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
@Lorn Asbord Schutta I'm really sorry, I just realized I broke the rules on my card about both sides being the same color. I even saw what you said, then just got so excited about finding a word combo I went right on ahead and forgot about it.

I'm not sure if you want me to stay in since the card is already there, but I'd be happy to resign since my card doesn't meet the challenge. Not sure if I can officially forfeit, but if it would make things easier I'd like to since everyone who judges my card will just have to rightly rule it out because it broke the rules. Again, apologies for being the one numbskull who broke the rules of the challenge. :?
No need to bash yourself, you will remember for the next time. We learn from mistakes after all.
If you are willing to drop out the submission, then it is ok, most people would just say that you did not meet the challange either way. And since you did not make any card for round 1, you will not advance whether you stay or not.
I know that existance of Venedrex's submission - or lack of thereof - might change the results, but it is more of a technicality then a sportmanship and unless any of other contestants want to object, I will ask for just ignoring Venedrex's card during reviews and taking another, seventh contestant above you.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

In cases like this I normally would evaluate the card that didn't meet the challenge but not consider it as a top 3 card.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I urge all participants who have not yet provided critiques and/or top 3 to try and do it in expected deadline. If you cannnot find time to provide critiques, at least make a top 3.
Also, @scarbo, you have put Venedrex in your top 3. Disregarding that the submission does not fullfil the round's criteria, he decided to forfeit his entry from this round. I am not sure if this is intended or not, but I will be glad if you would remove Venedrex from second position and change your top 3 accordingly.

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 3 years ago

Sorry about that! Corrections made.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”