The DCC Discussion Thread

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

It can't be a triggered ability. I would look to convoke for templating.
Convoke limits the payment to 1 or one colored mana, and, at the risk of reducing some of the playability, would do the same here. So tapping your opponents Gaea's Cradle gets you G, not GGGGGG. This also staves off the question of, if the land you tap produces more mana than needed (or a color not required) who keeps the excess.

"You may tap one of your opponent's land to help play <this.> Each land you tap this way reduces this card's cost by 1."

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Thank you all! First time I've ever won the DCC. Still astounded by how popular that one card was. Now I just need to win the MCC and I'll have won each of the big 3 at least once. Definitely taking a break from the DCC; I was running out of steam by the end as it was.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 3 years ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Ilaundra's Oasis
Legendary Land
: Add C. If you have gained life this turn, add W instead.
2W: The next time this turn a source would deal damage to a creature or planeswalker you control, it deals that much damage to Ilaundra's Oasis instead. If Ilaundra's Oasis has been dealt five or more damage this turn, sacrifice it.
IMO, the templating on this would be a lot cleaner if you made it a 0/5 creature that can't attack or block and had the damage redirect. I tend not to believe you shouldn't do something at all in custom cards because it creates a rules headache, but in this case I think a similar concept could be done while making it less of a headache and easier to understand.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

OneAndOnly

That would dramatically change the card. For one thing, you have to use a land drop to play it, which your substitute doesn't allow. It also survives board-wipe effects like Wrath of God, but not land destruction effects. It can't get buffed the way a creature can to allow it to soak more damage.

Yes, dealing damage to a land is "weird" -- but that's the only weird thing about it. Wording it another way would be really, extremely, stupendously, categorically, emphatically weird.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Sorry, what I meant was that when you pay 2W it would turn into an 0/5 and redirect the damage, not that it would just be a creature land like dryad arbor.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it again, maybe the way to go is to drop the redirecting altogether and just prevent damage, and sacrifice if you prevent more than 5.

OneAndOnly

But that would work differently if, say, you needed to nullify a horde of 1/1's,

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

I'd basically do it like this:

Ilaundra's Oasis
Legendary Land
: Add C. If you have gained life this turn, add W instead.
2W: Prevent all damage the next source would deal to a creature or planeswalker you control this turn. Then, if 5 or more damage was prevented by ~ this turn, sacrifice ~.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
RattingRots - I really like this card, but I'm afraid that the filtering ability doesn't make sense in colors like blue and black. At least, white can take Plains from the library, even if it's not any basic land, just Plains, and here we have mana of any color instead. Red has one-shot mana production and green the full version. So this means this cycle makes sense in Naya colors, I'm really worried about blue and black, mostly blue. Black can also fetch Swamps at least.
IMO it's always justifiable for lands to give you fixing regardless of color pie consideration, based on things like the vivid lands. I don't think it's a break because the point of lands is to give you mana in certain colors.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
I voted for RattingRots's card even though I don't think it would be worded like that, I can't remember seeing the word "likewise" on a Magic card ever
Yeah, I don't think current text templating allows what I did.

I originally wanted this as the wording:

~ has vigilance if it was crewed by a white creature, flying if it was crewed by a blue creature, lifelink if it was crewed by a black creature, first strike if crewed by a red creature and trample if crewed by a green creature.

Unfortunately I decided that wouldn't work because either the rules would define that as if a creature had ever crewed it on a previous turn, it would still remember, or even if the rules didn't work that way it would be easy to think they worked that way which would also be a problem. I thought just adding "this turn" to everything would be really confusing and inelegant (also I was trying to wrap that up before eating dinner so I was too lazy to type the whole thing out).

I'm wracking my brain to think of if there is an elegant way to do this with current templating and I don't think there is. I think my "likewise" wording would is easy enough to understand for my particular card but would be confusing enough for most cards where you would want to do something like this that I don't think it's actually a good idea. I do think it would be nice if there were more mental shortcuts like this in magic cards but obviously it's tough to come up with a good one.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
3 years ago
IMO it's always justifiable for lands to give you fixing regardless of color pie consideration, based on things like the vivid lands. I don't think it's a break because the point of lands is to give you mana in certain colors.
Also, Treasures in Ixalan were tied to Pirates in Grixis colors, and now they are even deciduous. I think you're right in the end. It could be probably done in all colors.
RattingRots wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, I don't think current text templating allows what I did.
Neither do I.
~ has vigilance if it was crewed by a white creature, flying if it was crewed by a blue creature, lifelink if it was crewed by a black creature, first strike if crewed by a red creature and trample if crewed by a green creature.
... I thought just adding "this turn" to everything would be really confusing and inelegant
It would, but it would also probably be needed, otherwise it might be interpreted as if it was "if a (color) creature ever crewed it" as you said yourself.
I'm wracking my brain to think of if there is an elegant way to do this with current templating and I don't think there is.
Again, neither do I.
I think my "likewise" wording would is easy enough to understand for my particular card...
It's definitely understandable, that was never the point. It's clear what your intent is. It's just that it's never been done for real. There is just no real precedent, that's all I meant.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Riria

Post by Riria » 3 years ago

The objective of rules text formatting is both to elucidate meaning and to pinpoint meaning with precision, to explain simply but also unambiguously, but there is a hierarchy of priorities. And the number one priority is and should always be disambiguation. Anything else is free to take a backseat and be sacrificed. So in this example even if you could argue that adding "this turn" a bunch is inelegant and probably unnecessary for 90% of people reading the card as the meaning is sort of implied... you should probably still add it, because "sort of implied" is below the bar for rules text.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
I messed up with the reminder text on Predict the Future. It was meant to be (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile that card face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost.) I'm sorry.
I believe you also need to explicitly state somewhere that you can foretell it from your library. I believe by exact wording right now it would have "foretell" when on top of your library, which would mean you can only foretell it from your hand still.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

With the month winding down I thought it was about time I should think ahead: Rithaniel has been doing a commendable job as host as of late but he's also often quite busy - as am I. Would anyone else be interested in joining the hosting rotation? I would be incredibly thankful to anyone who volunteers: with three hosts in the rotation we would each only be responsible for four months out of the year, with a two-month gap in between obligations, which would be a massive relief to Rithaniel and I.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

If you're ok with the daily threads going up at a different time, I could consider returning to do it. I was part of the rotation once a few years ago back on Salvation, but then I got a job and had to retire. Now that's no longer the case, my job is long gone and I wouldn't accept one anyway until I'm done with rehabilitation, which is still going on, though very slowly. I can't do it in the (european) morning, but I'd say I'd put up the threads at around 2 or 3 pm central european time, which should be 5-6 am pacific and 8-9 am eastern if I did math right. When I was doing it, I remember the host of the month before and I on my last day warning everybody that it would have been a long/short day. Would you be fine with that?
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
If you're ok with the daily threads going up at a different time, I could consider returning to do it. I was part of the rotation once a few years ago back on Salvation, but then I got a job and had to retire. Now that's no longer the case, my job is long gone and I wouldn't accept one anyway until I'm done with rehabilitation, which is still going on, though very slowly. I can't do it in the (european) morning, but I'd say I'd put up the threads at around 2 or 3 pm central european time, which should be 5-6 am pacific and 8-9 am eastern if I did math right. When I was doing it, I remember the host of the month before and I on my last day warning everybody that it would have been a long/short day. Would you be fine with that?
Absolutely. Thank you so very much for offering - the time difference basically only affects the first and last day, as it were, so it's not a big inconvenience.

I was planning on doing the month of May. Can you do June?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Yeah, let's do it that way. Write me down for June. Should I have some problems I'll immediately tell you, but it will very probably just be fine.
Show
Hide

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

Zemoo wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, JessWill

Enlightning
Sorcery (C)
Draw 2 Cards
~ deals 3 damage to target opponent or planeswalker
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
(even if I think it might be too strong, it looks like a better Electrolyze even though it can't hit creatures)
I think Zemoo was going for a comparison to Blightning. I'd say this is probably slightly better than Blightning on balance because the opportunity cost of a discard 2 is slightly annoying, especially in an aggressive deck that doesn't want to waste mana. But I think it's still fine.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
Tomorrow Scroll 1
Artifact (U)
T: Name a card, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card has the chosen name, you may play it this turn.
UR: Return Tomorrow Scroll to its owner's hand.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
Re: RattingRots - What if you activate this ability and then the library is shuffled. How do you cast it if you don't know where it is?
I had thought that some impulse draw worked by revealing but I'm apparently mistaken. I think this would only work by having you immediately play it (not be able to wait until end of turn). Good catch.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
I had thought that some impulse draw worked by revealing but I'm apparently mistaken. I think this would only work by having you immediately play it (not be able to wait until end of turn). Good catch.
You could also set it up so that you exile it and then may cast it that turn.

In other news, I typed "choose a color" in my card and meant "choose a number."
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Today is my last day as host for June, tomorrow @Rithaniel should take over and go back to the earlier posting time. This means that today will be a short day. Get your cards in early!

Also, congratulations to @emily for winning June!
Show
Hide

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

My internet connection at home has just stopped working, I have contacted my customer care and l will probably not be able to post the thread for at least two days. I am writing on my cellphone now but I cannot post the thread from here, I have everything on my pc. @void_nothing could you or somebody else please take care of the thread until I am not able to? This also affects my MCC judging as well. Thanks in advance.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I'll be the one posting in the interim. I doubt your MCC judgments will be affected at all. Good luck with getting it fixed. I'm sorry for your trouble.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

I'm back! And I can start posting the thread again! The problem is apparently solved, even if they didn't even tell us what it was. Thanks for posting in these two days, void_nothing!
Show
Hide

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Akki Mecha RR
Artifact - Vehicle Goblin Warrior (Rare)
First strike
Whenever Akki Mecha attacks, each player sacrifices a land.
Crew 1
3/1
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: netn10 (should be an artifact creature, a non-creature artifact can't have creature types)
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83 (how would you write a vehicle with creature types?)
The point is that an object that's only an artifact can only have artifact subtypes. Gingerbrute can be a Golem because it's also a creature. Dryad Arbor can be a Dryad because it's a creature in addition to being a land. This is the problem. Anyway, on second thought, Akki Mecha shouldn't be an artifact creature, as if it's already a creature it won't need to be animated via crew so it would be useless for it to have it. If you want a non-creature to have creature types without actually being a creature itself, I see only two potential solutions:

1. Use the "tribal" card type. A tribal can have creature types, in fact it's the whole point of it, but a tribal artifact is still not a creature, so it still needs to be animated via crew. Use a type line like this (provided it fits in the type line):

Tribal Artifact — Vehicle Goblin Warrior

2. Remove the creature types from the type line and have an additional ability that grants them to the permanent when it becomes a creature, which will usually happen via crew but could also happen through other means. Something like this:

Akki Mecha RR
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
First strike
Whenever Akki Mecha attacks, each player sacrifices a land.
Whenever Akki Mecha becomes a creature, it becomes a Goblin Warrior in addition to its other types.
Crew 1
3/1

In my opinion, the tribal solution is the most elegant, even if it's not technically supported anymore. But you could also go the other way if you want. It's your choice. What matters in the end is just to have a functionally working card.
Show
Hide

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

wizyard wrote:
2 years ago
void_nothing, Legend

sorry yall i was on a train for 2 days and didnt have internet access
You still won though! Awesome! Makes me feel even worse for losing. lol Congrats!
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”