The MCC Discussion Thread

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Just wanted to check in -- I assume the November finals are closed?

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Minor deduction because it should be "another target creature" for online play – you're virtually never going to use its ability on itself, since it (basically) has no effect and would just cause misclicks.
I am not trying to level this judgement, but I have to ask: does online play became so important, that we have to take it into account during card creation? There are some designs that will be very annoying in online play, but very easy to manage in paper (spells that have storm and target springs to my mind) and vice-versa. Moreover, there is a recent subject of functional diffrences between online and paper play.

slimytrout

I mean, I don't have access to WotC's figures, but I have to imagine that >50% of play right now is happening online, so it seems like it's a pretty important aspect of modern-day Magic to me. Notably, I would not encourage someone to make a "significant" (air-quotes to indicate that I know it's impossible to define) change to accommodate online play, such as removing storm from a card. However, in a case like this, where, again, it's very unlikely that you would want the card to target itself* and, moreover, that's the easiest way to have a misclick (double click on the creature instead of single click) it seems to me like a change that's worth making, so I stand by this judgement.

*I've wracked my brain and I can only come up with three scenarios where this would be relevant:
1) There's a non-targeted effect causing a forced attack, you have no other Snow creatures, and your opponent has a big flyer but you don't want to give it hexproof.
2) Your opponent is controlling your turn and they want to tap this down without giving any of your other creatures hexproof (or tapping them down if they're non-Snow).
3) Your opponent has some (activated/triggered) way of taking away hexproof (and it's one of the two cards in existence that don't also say "can't gain hexproof") and they're targeting this creature with a spell.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

November final judgments coming tomorrow. I already know it'll be close though.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Does Simic/Golglari/etc. fullfil the first subchallange?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Multicolor is a-okay.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

For December Round 2, are hyphenated compound words allowed? For example, "Sun-Dappled" or similar.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

haywire wrote:
3 years ago
For December Round 2, are hyphenated compound words allowed? For example, "Sun-Dappled" or similar.
I will say yes to compounds but only as long as there's a hyphen or similar separator.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

I just wanted to chime in and say that it's the first time (here and on Salvation) that I've seen a tie in the MCC final. I think it stands as a testament to the skill of the finalists and how good their designs have constantly been throughout the month. Congratulations to our co-champions, @slimytrout and @Subject16 !

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I will need one day extension to deal properly with the second round.
The size is enormous
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And you shall have it.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

I apologize for suddenly disappearing for almost two months. I have been more than a month in the hospital for a problem at my lungs (no, not cancer luckily). Now apparently that problem has been solved and they sent me back home, but I still can't walk without an external help. I do one hour of physical exercises a day, and I should begin to do physiotherapy at the end of January. In about a month essentially, and it will last five weeks. They told me that I will come out completely able to walk by myself. I hope so. At least I can still write on a keyboard while being in my bed. They also told me that I've come very close to dying, the thing that I fear the most. That's what happened. You will probably see me back in action by playing in the MCC in January. Judging and hosting will come later, they take much more time and energy than I currently have.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I think I will need an extension once again.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Happy new year! A new MCC month will begin in a few hours.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 years ago

I've got small question about January MCC Round 1 Subchallenge 2: Your card has "This spell can't be countered" under some or any conditions.
Does it need to have specific words "This spell can't be countered"? Or ability that could avoid chance to counter a spell would fit? (something like Derevi, Empyrial Tactician in case of permanent)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sagharri wrote:
3 years ago
I've got small question about January MCC Round 1 Subchallenge 2: Your card has "This spell can't be countered" under some or any conditions.
Does it need to have specific words "This spell can't be countered"? Or ability that could avoid chance to counter a spell would fit? (something like Derevi, Empyrial Tactician in case of permanent)
Yes, I'm looking for exact words: "This spell can't be countered as long as..." or similar.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
I'm sorry to be so nitpicky but the apostrophe after controller should be before the s, not after it (-0.25).
I want to plead from this on the basis of Back to Basics.

slimytrout

That's fair, except that then it would be "untap steps" so the deduction would be the same.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 3 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Mono-green doesn't get to tap things, let alone stop them from untapping. Even worse, the ability doesn't have "nonland," so this goes from bend to straight-up break.
Okay. I just want to mention that there were some green cards that were tapping things (e.g. Whip Vine, Elder Druid, Matsu-Tribe Sniper, Storm Front), so I don't think it's so wrong.
Anyway just want to inform you about such fact :P :halo:

slimytrout

Another fair point (and I was aware of Storm Front, although I admit not the others), but all of these precedents are quite old -- the most recent appeared 15 years ago, and that one primarily affects creatures with flying, so based on that and double-checking Maro's mechanical color pie I have not changed my opinion that your card is a break under the current color pie.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My December Round 3 judgments will be in tomorrow. My apologies for the (usual) further delay.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

I will do my submission before the end of 15th January.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
I will do my submission before the end of 15th January.
Thanks for the ETA. Take your time - it's the final.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Both modes have such minor, easy effects that I'd be sure to put this card at common.
The reason this is uncommon was the fact, that at the time of creating it impulse draw was only at uncommon and higher (now we have Tuskeri Firewalker). I was genuinly surprised by this. I was worried that maybe Wizards consider impulse a little too complex for common, so I upped rarity.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

After some very long delays, the MCC December winner has been crowned: @Lorn Asbord Schutta!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”