void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL February Top 8/Round 3

"Enemies from the Eternities"

Not of This World, taken from pucatrade.com, by Izzy and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Classic Zendikar month in the CCL - a new Zendikar set will be released much later this year, which most everyone is excited for but which we know nothing (save for the name Zendikar Rising) about yet. So this month will be about the already established history and lore of Zendikar.

Challenge
Design two of the following: an Eldrazi Drone, an Eldrazi Processor, a legendary Eldrazi, and an Eldrazi with converted mana cost 7 or higher.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • You can design cards that fit more than one of these requirements. Just make sure to note on each card which one it counts for.
  • You can design creature or tribal cards.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@jamblock
@slimytrout
@spacemonaut
@Ink-Treader
@Subject16
@netn10
@Henlock
@RaikouRider
Your submissions are due Friday, February 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (February 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (February 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due February 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 29th)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

An Eldrazi Drone

Feeder of Emptiness CCC
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (Rare)
You can't cast colored spells or artifacts.
Whenever you cast a spell, create three 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C".
4/4

An Eldrazi with converted mana cost 7 or higher.

Distorter of Perceptions 8
Creature - Eldrazi (Rare)
At the end of each turn, simultaneously untap all tapped creatures and tap all untapped creatures.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep step, that player puts the cards in their hand on the bottom of their library in any order, then draws that many cards.
To understand the Eldrazi, one must forget all meanings of "understanding".
8/8

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

A Processor:

Consecrated Processor 4UU
Creature - Eldrazi Processor (R)
Devoid
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may put a card that player owns from exile into their graveyard. If you do, you draw two cards.
6/6

An expensive one:

It That Consumes 7C
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Trample
Whenever It That Consumes attacks, exile the top four cards of defending player's library. You may play those cards as long as they're exiled and you may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any type to cast them.
8/8
Last edited by jamblock 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

All-Consumer 1B
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (U)
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Whenever All-Consumer deals damage to a creature, exile that creature.
When All-Consumer dies, exile all cards from target player's graveyard.
Ulamog's spawn hunger even in death.
1/2

Scream of the Ashmouth 8
Creature - Eldrazi Devil (R)
Emerge 5RR (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's converted mana cost.)
When you cast this spell, creatures can't block this turn.
Double strike, haste
3/4
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

An Eldrazi Processor

Emrakul's Harbinger 4R
Creature — Eldrazi Processor (Uncommon)
Haste
When Emrakul's Harbinger enters the battlefield, you may put a card an opponent owns from exile into that player's graveyard. If you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
4/2

An Eldrazi with CMC 7 or greater

Sire of Starvation 6WW
Creature — Eldrazi (Mythic Rare)
Devoid
Vigilance
When you cast Envoy of Starvation, each player chooses an artifact, a creature, an enchantment, and a planeswalker from among the nonland permanents they control, then exiles the rest.
7/9

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Eldrazi CMC >= 7:

Whitewash 9
Tribal Sorcery - Eldrazi {M}
Exile all creatures, then create two 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens for each nontoken creature exiled this way. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C."

Eldrazi Processor:

World Tromper X
Creature - Eldrazi Processor {R}
Spend only C to cast World Tromper.
As an additional cost to cast World Tromper, put X cards your opponents own from exile into their owners' graveyards.
Trample, hexproof from colored
World Tromper enters the battlefield with twice X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0
Last edited by RaikouRider 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Eldrazi Drone

Memoryplucker 1B
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (R)
If an opponent would search their library, they reveal their library to you first. Choose a card revealed this way and exile it. When you exile a nonland card this way, create a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion token. It has It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add C." (Then that opponent finishes searching their library.)
2/2

Eldrazi Processor

Emrakul's Formshaper 2CC
Creature - Eldrazi Processor (U)
Eldrazi you control get +1/+1.
T, Put X cards your opponents own from exile into their owner's graveyards: Put reshape counters on X target creatures. Those creatures are Eldrazi Scions in addition to their other types and have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C."
3/4

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Legion of Appendages 1wr
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (u)
When Legion of Appendanges attackes, create a colorless 1/1 Eldrazi Scion creature token with 'Sacrifice this creature: Add ." that's tapped and attacking.
Legion of Appendages gets +1/+0 for each attacking Eldrazi.
2/3

Limb of Ulamog g
Creature - Eldrazi Processor (r)
Devoid
Ingest
Trample
, Put one card an opponent owns from exile into its owner's graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on Limb of Ulamog.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed! I think you all know what to do: Critique and provide a top 3 for every other contestant in the round.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

jamblock
Show
Hide
Processor: A more balanced Consecrated Sphinx eh? Seems fine.
CMC 7+: That's quite powerful. Doesn't seem too out of hand with Etali, Primal Storm in mind.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Drone: You know, I'm kind of surprised we didn't get any exiletouch Eldrazi. Seems fine.
CMC 7+: I like this. It's all but guaranteed to swing in a least once, and feels balanced at either cost.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Processor: Solid card.
CMC 7+: It's certainly flashy, but I don't know if it has to be mythic, although being a cast trigger does mean you'll often come out ahead in creatures, assuming you have a least one to begin with.
netn10
Show
Hide
Drone: That's quite a drawback, but also quite an upside. I wonder if it might be too good where it's intended.
CMC 7+: Certainly interesting, especially in multiplayer. Seems fine.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Drone: Seems fine. Maybe it could lose a point of toughness, or at least not count itself for the power boost.
Processor: Reminiscent of Scavenging Ooze. Trades off utility to get trample and a way to force its growth.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
CMC 7+: A tribal card makes for an interesting answer to the challenge. I think getting two Scions per creature might be a bit much, depending on how one compares this to Plague Wind
Processor: That's one hell of a payoff. It has a lot of restrictions on its casting though. I wonder if it needs to mana restriction
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. Subject16
3. Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Feeder of Emptiness: This would be absolutely nuts in Eldrazi Tron, which produces tons of C and already runs a bunch of colorless spells. Definitely hard to run in other decks, but I would worry about a repeat of Eldrazi Winter.
Distorter of Perceptions: First ability could cleaner by just being "untap all tapped creatures and tap all other creatures." Would be a huge pain in multiplayer as creatures keep going back and forth every turn. Flavor text would probably not fit on the card and also I don't really get it.
jamblock
Show
Hide
Consecrated Processor: Fun reference to Consecrated Sphinx but way more balanced (just a 6-mana 6/6 unless you're exiling). Probably would have been more reasonable if it was a flyer as well (and had less power).
It That Consumes: Big flavor fail being legendary – not sure if it was a mistake, as nothing about this card says legendary. But otherwise quite fun.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Emrakul's Harbinger: Pretty clean and straightforward. Nothing revolutionary, but perfectly fine.
Sire of Starvation: This is basically just an Eldrazi version of Cataclysmic Gearhulk (the biggest difference being cast vs. ETB trigger). Not that I can't imagine that card being printed, but in the MCC it would get a 0.5/3 for uniqueness.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Whitewash: We could get into the semantics of whether a Tribal Eldrazi spell counts as "an Eldrazi" but it doesn't really seem worth it. Regardless, not really a fan of the name, which feels very un-Eldrazi, but otherwise a perfectly fine card.
World Tromper: Again, a pretty un-Eldrazi name. A pretty unusual card, which is very strong once you can cast it for X=3 or greater, but requires a good amount of setup. Hexproof from colored is fun, even if it's usually going to be pretty close to hexproof.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Memoryplucker: Not sure why there isn't a space or a hyphen in that name. Kind of an odd card, since it doesn't actually lobotomize them, but rather just gets one copy, so usually won't affect searches except in true toolbox decks. Also, why the nonland restriction? Do you need an incentive not to thin your opponent's deck of lands?
Emrakul's Formshaper: A bit of a weird lord, which expects you to be playing it in a deck full of other non-Eldrazi. Also, probably not supposed to be pumping itself (otherwise it's definitely too strong at uncommon), but the current text would do so.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Legion of Appendages: Classic r/w limited uncommon, but Eldrazified. I like it.
Limb of Ulamog: Funnily enough, very similar to Longtusk Cub (and very likely a bit weaker), if you think about it. Given that comparison, not totally sure if this needs to be rare especially given the cost to activate the ability.
1. jamblock
2. Henlock
3. RaikouRider

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Whoops, definitely forgot to remove legendary…
Anyway:
critiques
Show
Hide
netn10: The drone, to me, has the issue that you're only going to play it if you're building around it but then if you ARE building around it it's busto! The Distorter is a real confusion creator (in a fun way) and I dig it though I might hate to play with against/it in a real game.
slimy: So it has exile-deathtouch, which is interesting, and the death trigger is interesting too. It weirdly feels a little too good at cost but only a LITTLE. It begs to be given the ability to ping. The expensive one is good, too, though I worry that it might just be too easily game-ending on an early turn when emerged in a red deck. Hard to know!
Subject16: The processor is a clean simple design, and I don't have a ton else to say about it. The Sire/Envoy is interesting. Based on cataclysmic gearhulk I don't question the effect existing, and the cost here is probably right, since it leaves you advantaged by a permanent.
Raikou: Whitewash is a hell of a card, potentially wiping the board and leaving yourself a giant token army and/or the means to play out your hand, but it does cost 9. Still, a dangerous set to effects. The tromper processor is a fun design. I think that maybe, since the exile requirement is already steep, it didn't need the only-colorless-mana requirement, and might have been better just costing XC.
Ink-Treader: That drone is some intense anti-tutor tech, and interesting in that it doesn't shut down tutoring in non-singleton formats, it just makes it at a disadvantage. I do wonder though if for being a rare the effect isn't a little narrow all on its own. The formshaper is interesting. The fact that is does multiple at once makes it feel like it should be ETB/cast, not repeatable, but it still works.
Henlock: The Legion not being devoid is bothersome to me, but I like the effect otherwise. The limb is a pretty interesting one too. I'm skeptical about it being rare given that without a bunch of setup you're gonna just have a weird 1/1 with trample.
Top 3:
1. Subject16
2. slimytrout
3. RaikouRider

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending critiques until midnight EST tonight.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Crits may come later, I'll post a top 3 anyway:

1) Slimytrout
2) Henlock
3) Ink-Treader

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Just top 3, sorry

1. slimytrout
2. netn10
3. jamblock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the top 4 are:
slimytrout
Subject16
Henlock
jamblock

Round to come shortly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”