void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL November Signups/Round 1

"Heat at Your Back"

Flame Rift, taken from EchoMTG, by Ben Thompson and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Classic Deck Archetypes Month in the CCL - we'll start off with burn!

Challenge
Design an instant or sorcery card that deals damage.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Thursday, November 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due November 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due November 29th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Jund's Vengeance XR
Instant (M)
Jund's Vengeance deals X damage to target creature without flying. If G has been spent to cast this spell, it also deals X damage to target creature with flying. If B has been spent to cast this spell, it also deals X damage to target player or planeswalker.
"Jund is like a wounded beast: angry, and ready to get up again to get its revenge."
—Sarkhan Vol
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Koopa

Post by Koopa » 4 years ago

Sparkblast R
Sorcery (R)
Remove any number of loyalty counters from among planeswalkers you control. Sparkblast deals damage to any target equal to the number of loyalty counters removed this way.
"I said burn." -Jaya Ballard, last words

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Bendable Lightning RR
Instant (Uncommon)
Bendable Lightning cost 1 more to cast for each target beyond the first.
Bendable Lightning deals 3 damage among any number of target creatures and/or players.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Flamekin Uprising
1R
Sorcery
Create a 1/1 red Elemental Shaman creature token. Then Flamekin Uprising deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of Elementals you control.

formerly willows

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Double Strike r
Sorcery (C)
Double Strike deals 3 damage to any target that was dealt damage this turn.
"Who says lightning never strikes the same place twice?"
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Spark Volley XR
Sorcery {R}
Choose one -
  • Spark Volley deals X damage to any target.
  • Spark Volley deals 2 damage to each of up to X targets.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

All or Nothing 4RR
Sorcery (Rare)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice all creatures you control.
All or Nothing deals X damage to any target, where X is the total power of creatures sacrificed this way.
"If this is the end, then we'll end it together!"
-Captain Lannery Storm

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Infernal Flames 1R
Instant (R)
Kicker 1BB (You may pay an additional 1BB as you cast this spell.)
Infernal Flames deals 3 damage to target creature. If this spell was kicked, it has deathtouch and lifelink.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Fires of Ghirapur rr
Instant (u)
You may pay and remove a loyalty counter from a Chandra Planeswalker you cobtrol rather that pay Fires of Ghirapur's mana cost.
Fires of Ghirapur deals 3 damage to any target.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Erupt Outwards XR
Sorcery (R)
Choose target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls. Erupt Outwards deals X damage to each other creature and/or planeswalker that opponent controls.
When the spell Chandra cast on Jace was unleashed, the only thing still alive within a mile of Jace was the mind mage himself.
Last edited by Jimmy Groove 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Impact Demolition 1R
Instant (uncommon)
Impact Demolition deals 1 damage to each creature.
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Netherblaze 1R
Instant (U)
Netherblaze deals 3 damage to target player.
1B, Exile Netherblaze from your graveyard: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard. If five or more cards are exiled this way, Netherblaze deals 3 damage to that player.
A demon's wrath doesn't burn out swiftly.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

The Grand Finale
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
The Grand Finale deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to each creature and each player.
"Here is what you've all been waiting for!"
—Judith

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Suppression's Aftermath 1RR
Sorcery (R)
Suppression's Aftermath deals 3 damage to each creature and each planeswalker. Then Suppression's Aftermath deals 3 damage to each player who controls a creature or planeswalker.
"Your resilience is anything but appreciated."
—Alvel, Codemnation Sargent

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Blood to Brawn XRRW
Sorcery (R)
Blood to Brawn deals X damage to any target. You create X 1/1 red and white Elemental creature tokens.

(Token art would depict a humanoid figure rising out of a puddle or rivulet of blood.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The round is closed. Please critique and provide a top 3 for the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

bravelion83
Koopa
netn10
barbecube
Flatline
RaikouRider
Subject16
slimytrout
Henlock
Jimmy Groove
Gateways7
Ink-Treader
Ryder
Icarii
spacemonaut

Round 2 will be posted later in the day.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

slimytrout: Kicker doesn't make lifelink on a red card more palatable imo. 5 mana for an instant speed Lich's Caress feels underpowered, perhaps the "exile if dies" effect as well as hitting planeswalkers would make this more interesting and worthy of a rare.
Henlock: Very cute design that makes me think of Heart of Kiran. Depending on what Chandras you use could be very strong.
Jimmy Groove: This seems very strong for just XR. I would say its too mana efficient, especially as a one-sided spell. Lavalanche is the closest resembling card I can think of and that's three colors as well as costing 2 more.
Gateways7: Great use of Storm that's difficult to break. Love it.
Ink-Treader: This could be a spell with Aftermath, but Geistblast is a similarly worded card so it's not unseen before either. Nice sideboard hate and definitely playable.
Ryder: Big flavorful Fling spell that's reminiscent of Chandra's Ignition. Probably undercosted as a two mana boardwipe.

Top 3:
3: Ryder
2: Henlock
1: Gateways7

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
spacemonaut: I think this card is fairly costed and makes a lot mechanical sense in it's colors. I don't like the flavor, as I dont quite get the association of making elementals from blood. It almost makes me wish this spell had black, but tbh I think it just needs a flavor re-purposing to make the concept feel more RW.

bravelion83: This card produces insane value, though a good chunk of that is circumstantial. This seems like it would need to be played in RB in constructed. Depending on the environment could be very maindeckable but certainly sideboardable. I think the direction for the flavor text makes sense, but the grammar is a little clunky and I don't like using almost the same word as in the name of the card (Vengeance → revenge).

Koopa: Solid design. Lackluster feeling rare even if aggressively costed. I would make this an uncommon that cost 2. Flavor is generic for Jaya. She's usually wittily aggressive.

netn10: Strive lightning bolt. Sure. I think it's a little too aggressively costed, as 3 mana for three damage to a creature and its controller is pretty good at instant speed. Probably should be 2 for each additional target. Flavor is simple and standard.

barbecube: This is a really solid design that has a lot of flavor in it's mechanics tied with the name. I wish it had flavor text to really drive it home, but this is spot on the type of card I like to see. Testing might make this cost 3 depending on the environment/how go wide elementals are.

Flatline: I like the idea here, though I do wish it was an instant. Surprisingly no other magic card is called double strike either. The flavor text is really overdone and done better, even in Magic: Boltwing Marauder, Chain Reaction, Izzet Chronarch, Pyrotechnics(Planechase).
Top 3
1st: barbecube
2nd: bravelion83
3rd: Flatline
Attachments
image.png

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Ryder
Show
Hide
It feels a little undercosted, but the flavor is nice.
Icarii
Show
Hide
A cute boardwipe. It does feel nice to get a bonus if someone manages to survive, although I do wish it didn't hit yourself with the second part.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Seems reasonable, and almost certainly something we'll see printed someday.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
It's not quite strictly better than Clan Defiance, especially since you don't get a choice beyond not spending mana of a particular color, but it does seem usually better a lot of the time.
Koopa
Show
Hide
Kind of an oddball. I feel like it should cost more, but have a minimum damage.
netn10
Show
Hide
Potent. Maybe a little too much so. Perhaps a higher base cost would help here.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. spacemonaut
2. Icarii
3. Ryder

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Finally I get to do this, after multiple days that both real life and other things going on here got in the way.

Done.
Koopa
Show
Hide
Koopa wrote:
4 years ago
Sparkblast R
Sorcery (R)
Remove any number of loyalty counters from among planeswalkers you control. Sparkblast deals damage to any target equal to the number of loyalty counters removed this way.
I really like the design of this card, even though it might be a little narrow, and I guess that's what allows you to have such a low mana cost. Wrong formatting in the flavor text (the attribution should go on its own line and with an em dash — instead of a hyphen -), but it's pretty good. I can definitely see "burn" being Jaya's last word when she eventually leaves us.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Bendable Lightning RR
Instant (Uncommon)
Bendable Lightning deals 3 damage among any number of target creatures and/or players.
Missing text ("3 damage divided as you choose among...") and this just feels like mini-Fireball to me, mostly for the similarity in the rules text, but also for the complexity and the high amount of math required. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of this card.
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Flamekin Uprising
1R
Sorcery
Create a 1/1 red Elemental Shaman creature token. Then Flamekin Uprising deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of Elementals you control.

A perfect card for Elementals in Lorwyn (and the Flamekin flavor feels so right for that), or the Temur Elemental deck from M20. Everything's good on this card. I would just have liked to see some flavor text.
Flatline
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Double Strike r
Sorcery (C)
Ok, there are cards that share their names with mechanics, but this is too egregious for my taste, most of all because the mechanic with that name is evergreen. Also, if I absolutely had to make a card called "Double Strike", I would have it be a spell that grants the double strike ability. As is, if I were an editor in R&D, I'd send this back to either the design team asking them to have the card actually grant double strike, or to the creative team saying "the concept is fine but please change the name, maybe something like Double Bolt, or Double Lightning. Or anything but the name of an evergreen mechanic." I think most players, myself included, would have the expectation that a new card called with the name of an evergreen mechanic grants that mechanic, kinda like Indestructibility actually grants indestructible (just the first example that came to my mind). I really like what the card does, but the name is both the probable inspiration for this card and the reason why I would never print it as is just because of it. The rest of the card is simply perfect, but the issue is too big in my opinion. I'm really, really sorry. Believe me. You know me.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Spark Volley XR
Sorcery {R}
Choose one -
A piece of advice: use bullet characters (•) instead of bulleted list for modal cards. You get everything aligned, and you don't get the needless space before and after the list (for which I might even deduct Quality points if we were in the MCC). The hyphen should also technically be an em dash (—). But really, why am I listing all these little details? Because I have nothing to say about the design of the card, it's just perfect, and I have to write something in a critique! I still have to look at the last card, but this is a very very strong contender for my first place.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
All or Nothing 4RR
Sorcery (Rare)
All or Nothing deals X damage to any target, where X is the total power of creatures sacrificed this way.
-Captain Lannery Storm
This would only get played as a finisher, and you will feel really bad if it's countered or fizzled. This is a high risk, high reward card, and it's honestly not my style. There are plenty of players that would like this, this card is just not for me. No problems with the flavor. The hyphen should also technically be an em dash (—), but that's just a meaningless detail here. (How bad is it as a Linkin Park fan that I read the name of the card as "All for Nothing" several times before realizing that wasn't actually "for" but "or"?)
Top 3

1st place: RaikouRider
2nd place: Koopa
3rd place: barbecube
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader - This works really well as a combination of burn and graveyard hate, and I think that it'd be fun to play with as cool sideboard tech for a Rakdos aggro deck.
Ryder - This is an interesting retooling of Chandra's Ignition, but it doesn't really feel that innovative.
Icarii - I like the card and that it tries to give you a bonus if you have to play it sub-optimally. Cool idea!
spacemonaut - This seems about balanced for a big X spell (maybe on the strong side), and although I don't normally like unbalanced mana costs I think it works here to tie this together as a mainly red card. I do think it would have worked better as mono-red, though.
bravelion83 - I think that having all of these abilities tied together is a little too powerful, as you get to kill two things and deal a lot damage to a player. Furthermore, this spell doesn't actually work, as there needs to be a target with flying for you to cast the spell whether you pay G or not, which seems like an error - use "up to one" for all of the targets.
Koopa - While this is a cool idea, it's also pretty weak, as if you want to have this deal more damage than a Shock, you have to either sacrifice a planeswalker or have a great deal of set-up. It's also win-more in that if you have enough planeswalkers to kill an opponent off of this spell, you've already won.
1. Ink-Treader
2. spacemonaut
3. Icarri

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Double Strike r
Sorcery (C)
I find the flavor of this weak (the FT is repetitive with other FTs cards have had and the cardname is the name of a keyword that the card doesn't do) but it's mechanically solid.
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Spark Volley XR
Sorcery {R}
Choose one -
The modal approach here makes me want this card to cost one more . Credit where due for cleverness though.
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
All or Nothing 4RR
Sorcery (Rare)
-Captain Lannery Storm
This is an exciting game-ender here. I'm not sure about the costing, but that's something that would have to be explored in playtest. It's interesting that it calls for a red archetype that goes big on creatures.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Infernal Flames 1R
Instant (R)
Kicker 1BB (You may pay an additional 1BB as you cast this spell.)
Infernal Flames deals 3 damage to target creature. If this spell was kicked, it has deathtouch and lifelink.
I appreciate that you didn't go monored on your submission here. Refreshing. I appreciate the mild oddness here in granting keywords to a spell (not that it hasn't been done, but it's infrequent). The kicker cost reads a bit high to me; 5 mana across two colors to destroy target creature and gain 3 life? Hm?
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Fires of Ghirapur rr
Instant (u)
You may pay and remove a loyalty counter from a Chandra Planeswalker you cobtrol rather that pay Fires of Ghirapur's mana cost.
Fires of Ghirapur deals 3 damage to any target.
This is interesting but I really don't think Chandra needs more facetime.
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Erupt Outwards XR
Sorcery (R)
Choose target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls. Erupt Outwards deals X damage to each other creature and/or planeswalker that opponent controls.
When the spell Chandra cast on Jace was unleashed, the only thing still alive within a mile of Jace was the mind mage himself.
This seems undercosted to me.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. RaikouRider
3. Subject16
formerly willows

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Suppression's Aftermath 1RR
Sorcery (R)
Suppression's Aftermath deals 3 damage to each creature and each planeswalker. Then Suppression's Aftermath deals 3 damage to each player who controls a creature or planeswalker.
"Your resilience is anything but appreciated."
—Alvel, Codemnation Sargent
3 damage to each creature is already great for 3 mana. Making it hit 'walkers AND adding more damage to the players takes it way over the top.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Blood to Brawn XRRW
Sorcery (R)
Blood to Brawn deals X damage to any target. You create X 1/1 red and white Elemental creature tokens.

(Token art would depict a humanoid figure rising out of a puddle or rivulet of blood.)
By the flavor it seems black, but otherwise a perfectly reasonable card.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Jund's Vengeance XR
Instant (M)
Jund's Vengeance deals X damage to target creature without flying. If G has been spent to cast this spell, it also deals X damage to target creature with flying. If B has been spent to cast this spell, it also deals X damage to target player or planeswalker.
"Jund is like a wounded beast: angry, and ready to get up again to get its revenge."
—Sarkhan Vol
Great use of colors for additional effects, but slightly too strong in my opinion. Compare to
Jaya's Immolating Inferno
. Even with X=1 it may be a Chandra's Pyrohelix, which is not what should be the case with an X spell.
Koopa
Show
Hide
Koopa wrote:
4 years ago
Sparkblast R
Sorcery (R)
Nice idea, but this should probably sacrifice the PWs or hit only creatures to keep it balanced. Oko, Thief of Crowns already provides up to 6 damage on the turn he hits the table. See Lightning Axe
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Bendable Lightning RR
Instant (Uncommon)
You probably meant "damage divided among". I like this spell a lot! That is exactly the power level I'd expect from RR burn. Compares well with Searing Blaze and Arc Trail
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Flamekin Uprising
1R
Sorcery

I would argue this should target creatures and planeswalkers only, and the wording is off - see Omnath, Locus of the Roil. Other than that - pretty solid.
Top 3
Show
Hide
Wasn't easy. Congrats everyone.
1. netn10
2. spacemonaut
3. barbecube

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
Henlock: Fires of Ghirapur - If you have a Chandra, it's basically a Lightning Bold, if you don't it's a harder to cast Lightning Strike. I like the idea, but I think that's a pretty big upgrade for a low-probability event, which would lead to a lot of variance.

Jimmy Groove: Erupt Outwards - Basically you get to Earthquake their board except for one thing -- seems like a huge upgrade to what was already not a weak card.

Gateways7: Impact Demolition - This card says Storm on it so it's almost certainly undercosted. Even though it's not really a win condition, I don't think that giving storm decks a 2-mana wrath out of the sideboard is a good idea. Also would be quite busted with Swans of Bryn Argoll.

Ink-Treader: Netherblaze - A fun way to do graveyard hosing. Honestly, no real criticisms.

Ryder: The Grand Finale - Kind of like Fling meets Earthquake. Very strong, but probably not busted. Not entirely sure what's black about it, though, since both of the cards I listed were mono-red.

Icarii: Suppression's Aftermath - I think this is too strong. 3-mana deal 3 to all creatures usually gets a minor upgrade at rare: Anger of the Gods gets exile, Sweltering Suns gets expensive cycling, etc. Hitting planeswalkers is already a substantial upgrade, so I think the extra damage to the face at the end is probably too strong (compare this to Slagstorm for instance).
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Ryder
3. Henlock

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”