The DCC - September 16, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Shin splints.

DCC Scoreboard

Sagharri 43
bravelion83 39 (+0)
slimytrout 37 (+2)
emily 37 (+1)
RattingRots 35 (+6)
netn10 31 (+1)
Rithaniel 28 (+3)
shukkets 28 (+6)
void_nothing 26 (+0)
Henlock 13
Ink-Treader 12
Krishnath 12 (+1)
Legend 6
marioguy3 6 (+2)
kwanyeegor-ii 2

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Rithaniel, slimytrout (both cards are elegant and mechanically interesting, to me at least, but I especially love their flavor)
Honorable mentions
Show
Hide
Lots of cards I liked today. A lot of the following HMs would just be regular votes most other days.
RattingRots, Krishnath, shukkets, netn10, emily
Surveillance Camera {U/B}{U/B}
Artifact (R)
U, T: Scry 2.
B, T: Surveil 2. (Look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest on top of your library in any order.)
"It shows you what's happening at present somewhere, but just pull a switch and it will show you the future. The Azorius commissioned it as a tool for their precognitive mages, but I think our guild can use it too. Lots of good blackmail material..."
—Vylez, Dimir inventor
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: emily, shukkets,

Blazeridge Geyser 1R
Instant (Common)
Domain — Blazeridge Geyser deals 1 damage to target creature for each basic land type among lands you control.
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: shukkets, Rithaniel

Grand Crusade RRWW
Tribal Sorcery - Knight (R)
Grand Crusade deals 3 damage to each non-Knight creature. Tap each creature dealt damage this way.
Unity - If you control three or more Knights, then destroy each non-Knight creature instead.
RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
netn10, slimytrout

HM: bravelion83 (but I would personally make this card a bit more expensive or restrictive because it has some abusable modes now)

Mad Sandwalla 1R
Creature - Lizard (C)
Whenever you discard a card, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/2

EDIT: Changed votes after correctly reading cards.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
rattingrots (love the card), rithaniel
RattingRots
Show
Hide
Happy to continue this in the discussion thread if you still disagree, but I think the "only any time you could activate a sorcery" rider makes this card much less busted. With that rider, it's very hard to engineer a situation where you get full value out of the creature *and* get to take an extra turn with it. Sacrificing it, attacking into blockers with it, having a removal spell pointed at it: all of those would lead to you losing the enchantment because you can't activate the ability in time. Obviously it's powerful, but so are many 6-mana mythics, and, from a constructed perspective, I think this card is actually substantially weaker than my cascade submission from a few days ago (and that card made you exile your hand!). In fact, this card isn't even strictly better than a 6-mana Time Warp, since it can be fizzled by your opponent's sacrifice or bounce.
Ancestral Delusions
Sorcery
Madness 1U (If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard.)
Target player draws two cards.
"I found him in the pasture, raving about a towering city with enormous skyships and grand cathedrals."
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, shukkets (might be worded as "can't have indestructible," judging from the wording on Arcane Lighthouse)

Atavistic Serpent
Creature - Snake R
As an additional cost to cast Atavistic Serpent, exile a Forest card from your hand.
Protection from blue and from black
: Atavistic Serpent gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
The old beasts of Ulurd are greedy and territorial. If they aren't given their own space to prowl, they will thrash and rebel until either they have their own space, or they die.
2/2
shukkets wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: rattingrots, marioguy3

Qartiz Engineer 2(u/r)
Creature - Human Artificer (U)
T: Put a +1/+1 counter on tatget artifact creature.
2/2
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Krishnath, shukkets

Easily Intimidated B
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, the controller of that source of damage gains control of enchanted creature.
Blood is the most common and yet the most expensive commodity in Grixis.
emily wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, shukkets

Reprogram 2RG
Instant (R)
Destroy target noncreature artifact. Create a colorless artifact creature token with power and toughness equal to the destroyed artifact's converted mana cost.
"I can even make it dance!"
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

Dual Recruitment 5UU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Whenever Dual Recruitment becomes attached to a creature, create a token that's a copy of that creature.
You control enchanted creature.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

void_nothing, emily

Demanding Pitmaster 2G
Creature – Human Rogue (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target creature with the greatest converted mana cost among creatures you control fights target creature with the greatest converted mana cost among creatures you don't control.
"I think he has a fighting chance."
2/3

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

slimytrout, emily

HM: netn10 (I realize this has some symmetry and costs multiple cards most of the time, but I do think it's still overpowered for a player that has a plan for how to use it)

Soul Sucker 2B
Creature - Vampire (U)
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you draw cards and lose life equal to the damage dealt.
1/1
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: Krishnath, slimytrout
Honorable mention
Show
Hide
shukkets (A typo: "tatget")
Scary Change 3UB
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has base power and toughness 5/5 and has flying, menace, and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
"Afraid of changes? I'll lift you of the burden of your fears. I will bring out your inner monster..."
—Ashiok
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, shukkets

Once Forgotten Goblin
Creature - Goblin (Uncommon)
Of Memory (You may exile this card from your hand. Whenever you cast a goblin spell, if Once Forgotten Goblin is in exile, put a retrieval counter on Once Forgotten Goblin. Then if there are three or more retrieval counters on Once Forgotten Goblin, remove all counters from Once Forgotten Goblin, then put Once Forgotten Goblin onto the battlefield.)
Haste
2/2
Last edited by marioguy3 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, bravelion83
Notes
Show
Hide
Tough one today. Lots of good cards

I was going to post a green card today, but when inspiration strikes like a bolt from the heavens, you've got to heed it.

Explorer's Morion 1{B/G}
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Whenever the equipped creature attacks, it explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Equip 2

Notes 2
Show
Hide
For anyone wondering, a Morion is a type of helmet used by the Spanish military during the renaissance. Most famously by the conquistadors.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, netn10

Shredding Forms 1WB
Instant R
Until end of turn, damage is dealt to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters, and whenever a creature is dealt damage this turn, it's controller puts that many 1/1 colorless Bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
"Let them twist and lament and wish for an end to the conflict, so that they might rest. Yet let no rest come to them."
—Curse of the Cruel Ones
Last edited by Rithaniel 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Rithaniel

Headless Goliath 1BB
Creature - Zombie Giant (U)
You may sacrifice two Zombies rather than pay Headless Goliath's mana cost.
Headless Goliath can't attack or block alone.
One more stitch would keep its head.
5/5

shukkets

Post by shukkets » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, netn10

The Gourmand's Supremacy 5BG
Sorcery
Exile all non-Elder creatures. For each creature exiled this way, create a Food token.

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, netn10

Pull into the Abyss 3B
Instant (C)
As an additional cost to cast Pull into the Abyss, exile a creature card from your graveyard.
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the exiled card's power.
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee." — Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: emily, void_nothing

Ever-Changing Licid 1
Creature - Licid (Uncommon)
Changeling
Ever-Changing Licid is all colors.
2: Transform Ever-Changing Licid and attach it to target creature.
1/1
///////////////
Ever-Changing Identity
Tribal Enchantment - Aura Licid (Uncommon)
Enchant creature
Changeling
Enchanted creature has all creature types and is all colors.
2: Unattach Ever-Changing Identity and transform it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: Sagharri, shukkets

Shellminder Patroness 3RW
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flash
Flying, menace
Whenever a creature you control blocks, it gets your choice of +2/+0 or +0/+2 until end of turn. If that creature is a Dragon or Egg, it gets your choice of +7/+0 or +0/+7 until end of turn instead.
4/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”