The Wanderer

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

Okay. I know that literally everyone has a take on who The Wanderer is, but I do have a pet theory.

I think it might be Michiko Konda. She's got a very Kamigawa type aesthetic going on,
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Necrofish
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Might be a new walker, but that would be really boring and I doubt it.

We know that it's a female. She is using a blade and attached to that blade something that looks like wind or spirit. Some form of energy. Apparently she's able to absorb kinetic energy and redirect it through her blade. While doing so the energy looks a lot like wings to me.
She also has two feathers on her hat which would coincide with the wings.

To me her hair looks fake, like some sort of wig. In the case it's her real hair though she is either a rather old walker that isn't gifted with eternal youth like Liliana is, or it is from her 'curse'. Unless she is concentrating, she will be pulled from plane to plane. It's an interesting twist on her spark. Maybe her spark is different, or she is cursed. Maybe even both. I don't think her spark is artificial because she is too white for that and artifical should be at least part blue.

Do we know about a plane with lots of birds or wings? Kamigawa seems close because of her style, but I can also imagine a plane with similar influence. Maybe the next set will travel to a new plane, where The Wanderer is from?

Edit: Here I was talking about how a new walker would be boring and forget the most important thing:
It might be someone who wasn't white before. She could've gained her spark/curse and with that changed her ways to white.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I'm convinced by the idea that it's Thalia with the power of Emrakul. Others have pointed out aesthetic cues that make a lot of sense if that's the case - the long white hair (although in a different style), the silhouette of the hair plus the hat strikingly resembling the outline of Emrakul as seen on the Eldritch Moon set symbol...
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

I think the Wanderer is someone new, but is an old walker who somehow has survived the mending. but now has a messed up spark as a result.

I also wonder what really makes her white outside of her skill set of taking out bigger foes.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

My cynical theory is that they haven't actually decided who the wanderer is yet. She's left purposefully vague, and takes very few cues from existing characters so they can reveal her to be whoever the story needs her to be. Is she Elspeth? Maybe. Did Baltrice take up white mana and buy a hat? Could be. Greensleeves escaping from pre-revision-land? If the story demands it, it can be true.

DrSeaMonster

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

RainyDay wrote:
4 years ago
My cynical theory is that they haven't actually decided who the wanderer is yet. She's left purposefully vague, and takes very few cues from existing characters so they can reveal her to be whoever the story needs her to be. Is she Elspeth? Maybe. Did Baltrice take up white mana and buy a hat? Could be. Greensleeves escaping from pre-revision-land? If the story demands it, it can be true.
I mean, you're probably right.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

TearsOfTomorrow
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
the hat strikingly resembling the outline of Emrakul as seen on the Eldritch Moon set symbol...
I honestly don't see it. In fact, this whole theory seems extremely far-fetched to me: the girl's overall aesthetic is clearly of eastern inspiration, and her clothing has nothing to do with the way people on Innistrad dress. And as far as the hat is concerned...

... It is clearly referencing the "mysterious bushido master with face-concealing large hat and supernaturally sharp katana" imagery, a mainstay of oriental myths, artworks and, more recently, anime and manga. It has a rounder design because it is very common in all forms of art to associate rounder shapes with females, but that's it: it kinda sorta somewhat looks like a mushroom, so it must be Thalia because Emrakul also looks kinda sorta somewhat ike a mushroom? I'm sorry, but that's a stretch: why would Emrakul empower Thalia? Why would this empowerment result in an off-screen ascent as a planeswalker? Why would Thalia start wearing clothes and employing a style of swordsmanship that have absolutely nothing to do with her home plane?

I'm a fan of the basic mentality according to which the hypothesis most likely to be correct is the easiest one. And it seems to me that the easiest hypothesis here is for Wanderer to be a completely new character, possibly of Kamigawan origins.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I want the Wanderer to just be a new character. Not every character has to be or be related to someone! The vast majority of the theories people have about who she could be are nonsensical, too. There's absolutely no chance she could be Elspeth, as we know that she is still in the Underworld (confirmed by Maro), there's no reason to add this power to her, their fighting styles are completely different, and it would be ridiculous to have the entire second half of her story arc take place off camera. Same with Thalia, they're nothing alike.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Alright, I took a closer look at the bronze kneecap.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
She is wearing a lot of bronze and light armor. Two armrings on the right hand and a ring on her left index. Apart from being a stylistic choice, maybe her plane does not have a lot of (quality) iron or similar?
Her blade weirds me out even more now. It has three small dreamcatchers or coins dangling off of it. I cannot quite decide if it is bone material or metal. Its hilt is elongated and curved? I am not a swordfighter myself but I imagine that being very impractical for sword fights. Her preferred way of fighting is lickely to be cutting her enemy down in one swift strike. Another trope of the
TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
"mysterious bushido master with face-concealing large hat and supernaturally sharp katana" imagery
Ironically her blade looks a lot more like it was meant for thrusting to me.
RainyDay wrote:
4 years ago
My cynical theory is that they haven't actually decided who the wanderer is yet. She's left purposefully vague, and takes very few cues from existing characters so they can reveal her to be whoever the story needs her to be.
I doubt that. This method is prone to blunders and never feels as natural as carefully planned out stories.
I do not know if WotC is taking the same approach with Magic: The Gathering but afaik Dungeons & Dragons has a set storyline with all events planned out already. That storyline is much bigger than anything players of the game could ever hope to gather from all official sources and allows the publishers to be consistent and still reveal new content.
I would not be surprised if the storyline for Magic: The Gathering is already set for the next decade or so.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Exares

Post by Exares » 4 years ago

It seems the obvious idea everyone had is that the Wanderer was Elspeth, but I guess right now this has been discarded.

I really don't have any idea of who she can be, but she could just be someone who either forgot her previous life, or one who choose to start a new life as a vagrant vigilante.
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

Proteus

Post by Proteus » 4 years ago

Didn't some of the other planeswalkers in the War novel recognize her, as if they'd met before? I don't remember who exactly, but I think Sorin was one of them.

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

Proteus wrote:
4 years ago
Didn't some of the other planeswalkers in the War novel recognize her, as if they'd met before? I don't remember who exactly, but I think Sorin was one of them.
I came in to actually talk about this. I havent finished the whole story but when Wanderer and Sarkhan Vol see each other on Ravnica they address each other, "Wanderer" "Vol". So it appears they know each other but didn't have much sentimentality beyond that. Wonder when they met before.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
Proteus wrote:
4 years ago
I came in to actually talk about this. I havent finished the whole story but when Wanderer and Sarkhan Vol see each other on Ravnica they address each other, "Wanderer" "Vol". So it appears they know each other but didn't have much sentimentality beyond that. Wonder when they met before.
I had missed this bit, but looking back at it, I frankly believe this is all the more proof that all the theories here are wrong. This bit is clearly meant to be foreshadowing, it is meant to create expectations about the identity of this character and her connection with Vol, leaving both aspects to be discussed/clarified another time. That's something you do for a new character.
So really, Wanderer is just that, a wanderer. She doesn't have any secret identity nor shocking past. She's just a new character, and we'll learn more about hr going forward.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

And are answer is in

Her hat is off and

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-01-24

She still doesn't,t have a name and is not michiko

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Wow, that sure is... somebody!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

DrSeaMonster

Post by DrSeaMonster » 2 years ago

So she was still a royal from kamigawa.

I'm always right about everything.

MaritLage
Catholic Nun
Pronoun: she / her

Post by MaritLage » 1 year ago

The Wanderer is Tarkova .
Kasmina , Davriel , Teyo , and The Wanderer are a quartet of Metagame-stomping super-walkers that have UniversesBeyond-level planeswalking ability .
Check the Characters page on the Wizards website . Click the links . Their pages aren·t there .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Storyline Speculation”