Bolas's Citadel Test Results

Simple_Man
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Simple_Man » 4 years ago

Finally tested Bolas's Citadel. I went 3-0, and yes, limited test results, but so far, I am very impressed. Let me preface this by saying that my list is powered, and replication of the success I've had will vary from list to list, but I did some of the most degenerate plays I've ever done in Cube with it in my 10-year Cube career. Citadel is a great build around card, and after the wins I managed to pull off my playgroup are both impressed with the card, and eager to try it themselves in future drafts.

Some memorable plays with Citadel: playing against Izzet Control, and drowning them in card advantage via Citadel; also managed to sacrifice 10 non-land permanents to deal lethal to them when they were at 9.

Tinkering into the Citadel on turn 3 and dominating the game with it afterwards. Between an early Citadel or Blightsteel, I would choose Citadel most of the time, it's far safer.

Had Citadel out early, then got hit by Plow Under. My opponent was confident he had beaten the Citadel. Nope, not even close. Played Scroll Rack, activated it, put Emrakul, the Aeons Torn on top of the library, cast it off the top by paying 15 life with Citadel, took the extra turn, and annihilated my opponent's board to win the game with 1 life. I managed to play Emrakul off the top in two separate games, and it's easy to set that up with cards like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal, and Scroll Rack

Of course, this is from a limited sample set, but the first results are very positive. I also like that it gives Black another build-around card that is a bit off the beaten trail. In draft, I prioritized lifegain cards like Kalitas and Batterskull, and also anti-aggro cards such as Day of Judgment, Moat, and Maze of Ith. I don't know how long Citadel will stay in my Cube, but I had a blast playing it, and look forward to drafting different takes of the deck in the future.

Tags:

Spiderdoofus

Post by Spiderdoofus » 4 years ago

Do you support Storm in your cube? I think there are some less played cube cards that are super powerful, but don't have the right context to be good. Dream Halls is a card that looks great to me as a fun storm enabler, but since a lot of people don't run Storm, it's lackluster. I wonder if Bolas's Citadel is similar? What was your experience?

Simple_Man

I don't support Storm in my list, but I do run Tinker. I've always wanted to make something like Dream Halls and Yawgmoth's Bargain work, but in my testing they always came up short. Citadel is a much better version of those cards in that you can Tinker into it, it provides both card advantage and mana efficiencies, it doesn't lock you out of the game completely like Bargain does at low life totals, and can randomly win games by draining for 10.

Citadel provides a steady stream of resources at a cost of life, and since Cube cards have a much higher power level this effect is amplified. It also plays well with library manipulation cards like JtMS, Brainstorm, Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal, Sensei's Divining Top, and Sylvan Library, and if you want to give Black a fun build around card, I would say Citadel is certainly one of the more interesting ones

Spiderdoofus

Post by Spiderdoofus » 4 years ago

Ok, you sold me. Thanks for the insight.

Simple_Man

Cool, let me know how it goes, looking forward to hearing your results too

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube Card and Archetype Discussion”