Is it time to move to Snow Basics in Cubes?

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

I have been pondering this question for a few weeks in light of Kaldheim's spoilers. Is there really any downside to playing snow basics over normal basics?

While Im posing this to everyone I think in Peasant, my main cube's formatting, it really has become apparent that I am missing out if I don't have snow lands in the cube. between snow Bauble, the Common snow etb tapped Duals and the onslaught of powerful uncommons and commons from Modern Horizons and Kaldheim.

But I want to ask this question of all cubes and cubers.

Is it now worth it so that you can run Ice-Fang Coatl, Dead of Winter and other Snow cards or are people planning to stay warmer with standard Basics?
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I personally have no plans to put snow cards into cubes. That being said..
If you are putting in a lot of snow cards to make a snow archetype, I wouldn't replace the basics with snow because then people can just run a normal deck, play snow lands, and play super powerful snow cards without needing to draft a snow deck.
I think that if you want snow in your cube, it should be something people need to draft to make it work.

If you are just putting in the best cards though (less than 10 snow cards), then I guess you can just swap the basics with snow basics as nobody is drafting a snow deck. But just remember that the snow cards will be better than a typical draft.

If you want to make a snow archetype viable in your cube, here are some options.
1. We have 11 new snow non-basic lands. make these draftable and you can have your snow archetype in cube.
2. Put a snow basic land in each pack (like a basic land). You can also put Wastes if you have a colorless component.
3. You can not include snow lands in the draft, but give everyone access to a set amount of snow basics (maybe 5-8).
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I will probably run snow lands occasionally and a bit more often especially since I like a few of the cards (Arcum's Astrolabe and Ice-Fang Coatl for example, LOVE Dead of Winter) but if the decks don't want those cards I will stick to my new love:

Man I love those things. They're just amazing. Super easy to find when searching, gorgeous and distinctive on the table, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube Card and Archetype Discussion”