Insight Tempo (THB)

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Introduction

I'll be honest. There was a very good mono-U tempo deck built around Curious Obsession. This deck is very unlikely to rival it's performance.
But there is some fun to be had in trying to build around Staggering Insight. My initial thought is to combine it with Setessan Champion because the mana is too easy with only two colors. I will propose an Azorius list also.
What creatures do we want to put the enchantments on? The best candidates I can come up with so far are: Barkhide Troll and Faerie Vandal. Barkhide Troll is even harder on the mana.
Another utility creature of interest is Siona, Captain of the Pyleas.
With Siona and Setessan Champion, what other enchantments and auras are of interest? While I can dream of a reprint of Ordeal of Thassa, the best I have come up with to improve our creatures so far is Angelic Gift and All that Glitters. Angelic Gift does well on a Barkhide Troll, but it's effectively a durdle on another flying creature. Then there are other sorts of enchantments that can help us survive whatever the dastardly opponent is up to. I am considering: Sky Tether, Pacifism, Trapped in the Tower, Banishing Light, Prison Realm and Conclave Tribunal.
All that remains are protective spells and lands. Protective spells could be Quench, Dovin's Veto (almost strictly better than Negate), Brought Back, Sinister Sabotage and Lazotep Plating. Losing Veil of Summer hurts.
Idyllic Tutor seems intriguing, but too slow and not synergistic enough.
Edit: Season of Growth seems worth a try. We don't have that many spells that target our own creatures, but the payoff could be big. Even better with Gods Willing, which seems like a card that I should have thought of before. Gods Willing is extra conditional here, because using it to give protection from U or W is a nonbo with Staggering Insight, but it's a 1 mana spell with some pretty great effects when it's good.

Decklists

Bant Insight Tempo (Barkhide with heavy G)
Approximate Total Cost:

Bant Insight Tempo (G Splash)
Approximate Total Cost:

Azorius Insight Tempo
Approximate Total Cost:

Feedback please! What gems have I missed? What have I overvalued and why?

Tags:

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

Pteramander and Faerie Duelist are still legal, right?

My suggestion is more of a focus on cheap creatures, counters, and protection if you want Staggering Insight to have a chance. Play more Gods Willing, more Negate (Veto is nice and all, but you're going to have bad mana even with the two-color list), less removal, and less three-mana creatures.

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Yeah. I think that is a better approach. I started with Staggering Insight and Setessan Champion and just devolved the list to make the Azorius version. But the mana for Bant will be bad and it will take too long to get going. The Azorius version can be faster, more consistent and maybe have a chance if it relies on spells and cheaper creatures. Something like this?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing Decks”