Abzan Autumnal Adventures

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Seeing a series of decks with Witch's Oven and Fires of Invention in Arena bo1 queues, I decided I wanted to work Knight of Autumn into an Adventures deck. Here is the first shot. Feedback appreciated!
Edit: Knight of Autumn turns out to be good against Outlaw's Merriment and Divine Visitation also. Could help against Embercleave, Lucky Clover, Prison Realm, Conclave Tribunal, Doom Foretold and Trail of Crumbs.
Arena Import:
Deck
3 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Forest (ANA) 60
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
3 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
3 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
1 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
3 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
2 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
1 Plains (ANA) 56
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
3 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
1 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Charming Prince (ELD) 8

Tags:

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

Thoughts:

- I don't really get the one-of planeswalkers. Ugin and Liliana have been really underwhelming in my experience. Haven't seen much of Vraska, maybe she's more powerful than she looks. Garruk is pretty good for a six-mana walker just because he can make two tokens every turn (and because the -3 is unconditional removal so you can reliably take care of the one big thing that matters). If you really want to run a few walkers in this deck, I'd go for some combination of Nissa, Who Shakes the World and Garruk. Even then, I'm just not sure this is an archetype that wants walkers in the maindeck at all.
- I don't really get the Charming Prince either. I know he can do three things, but despite that he's pretty medium and I would cut him to make room for more adventures. With 4 Innkeeper, 4 Clover, and arguably the 3 best colors for adventures, you really want to make the most of that.
- Speaking of Lucky Clover, 4 seems like a lot, but I can't say for sure. How is it working for you?
- 3 Overgrown Tomb, 3 Temple Garden - is this a budget concession? If so, that's fine, but otherwise shocklands are the best mana in the format right now and I recommend maxing out on 'em if you have 'em.

hoser2

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!
  • One-of planeswalkers - good point. I am not clear about how to win. This deck is reactive, which just may not work in bo1. I was playing the all-in Golgari Adventures and getting stomped by Rakdos Catrifice. I would have 4 cards in hand, but no board and no life. So this is partially patterned off Siggy's deck that won the twitch rivals and makes a case (IMO) for some adventures, but not all. At this point, I am just trying to find a deck that will get to the corner and collect some data about how best to turn it. Ugin can be great by answering anything or clogging the ground in a way that almost guarantees card advantage, but is it enough for a 6? Vraska answers anything small and is a wincon, but I don't want so many that I have to throw them out without a way to protect them.
  • Charmin Prince - all good points. He's a one-of to collect data. The case for him is efficiency. His strongest use is "replaying" Knight of Autumn for 2 mana. If I have a Knight on the board and opponent gets an engine card down, I can take care of it. Two toughness is good for this deck. The alternative is adventure Shepherd plus replay Knight plus Shepherd, which is effectively instant speed, but 6 mana vs 2 and Shepherd dies so easily. And none of the fail cases for Prince are actually bad.
  • 4 Clover - All 4 are on the watch list. With a Clover out and only one Swift End target, Rider ends up in the bin. I can see an argument for any number other than 1, but Siggy ran 4. Still collecting data. Siggy ran 0. Out they go. Good catch!
  • Yeah, 3-of shocks are purely a budget concession. If an evolution of this brew shows enough potential to grind with, I will get the fourth. On the current mastery path, I get another pack of Guilds soon and have about a 20% chance of pulling one of them, so I will save the wildcard if this brew sucks.

hoser2

Here is a Reddit post w/decklist bo3 Abzan Adventure that someone apparently took to Mythic on Arena.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing Decks”