Feather

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Well, that happened quickly. The metagame moved to Golos mirrors trying to get on top of each other before the set even got officially released? Whatever, Feather is fun, so I am posting my first untested brainless adaptation of the new cards to my Boros list.

These are just straightforward substitutions to my deck inspired by this Reddit post. I found the post quite informative, but it is obviously quite dated at this point.

The biggest loss is Reckless Rage. My obviously inferior substitute is Joust. The most difficult change was to replace Adanto Vanguard. I considered Ancestral Blade, Goblin Banneret, Fervent Champion, Swiftblade Vindicator, Fencing Ace, Charming Prince, Tithe Taker, Skynight Vanguard, Tomik, Distinguished Advokist and Robber of the Rich before settling on Boros Challenger. Robber of the Rich has the potential of card advantage, so that may be correct, but I went for the stats and the ability to "mentor" other cards, particularly Arcanist. Wind-Scarred Crag is worse than Clifftop Retreat, but a necessary evil, IMO.

hoser2

Welp! I finally got a little Standard testing in in paper. I beat a resurrected drakes list with my resurrected Feather, but it was embarrassing. I actually looked at the card Joust for the first time and realized that it is terrible in a deck without knights. Anyway, I got to play a bit before I got the paper cards for a meta deck, so I will call it a win.
Overall, I am concerned about Feather's place in the meta. I am not sure how to make Feather deal with Questing Beast and Golos Field decks simultaneously. In theory, there is some play with Flame Sweep, Bonecrusher Giant and Giant Killer in the sideboard. Flame Sweep could wipe out zombies in a postboard deck with all 3 toughness creatures. Bonecrusher Giant is card advantage against little guys and Giant Killer likewise against big beaters. But I need to get in the testing repetitions.
Brewing got kind of interesting. I built my most straightforward conversion (below), but I would like to explore an Arena semi-budget version and a knight version that actually uses Joust (bad idea. knights only work with other knights and too much of the core is not knights). There are a lot of 1-ofs for testing purposes (particularly in the 'board), but the real better version will focus more on whichever of the 1-ofs tests best.
Feedback, please!

hoser2

For fun and science, I took the above Feather deck out to Monday Night Magic. I went 2-1, losing to 4-Color Neoform Elementals before beating Golgari Adventures and a Gruul brew.
It was fun, although I mulliganed a lot. The deck seems fine, but not great. The Boros Challengers were okay. I really liked Bonecrusher Giant from the sideboard. Glass casket seemed like a worse shock in the deck and has become a second Bonecrusher Giant. .Below is the latest deck in Arena format:
4 Dreadhorde Arcanist (WAR) 125
4 Feather, the Redeemed (WAR) 197
4 Tenth District Legionnaire (WAR) 222
4 Defiant Strike (WAR) 9
4 Gods Willing (M20) 19
4 Gird for Battle (GRN) 12
4 Shock (M19) 156
8 Plains (ANA) 56
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Temple of Triumph (M20) 257
3 Wind-Scarred Crag (M20) 260
1 Swiftblade Vindicator (GRN) 203
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
4 Boros Challenger (GRN) 156
1 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
1 Samut's Sprint (WAR) 142
1 Infuriate (M20) 145
3 Mountain (ANA) 59

1 Chance for Glory (GRN) 159
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
2 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
2 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
1 Brought Back (M20) 9
1 Glass Casket (ELD) 15

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

I run a Boros/Feather in Arena as well.
A few differences......
Skynight Legionaires have won me so many games with the hasty fly over and a infuriate or other pump spell
God's Willing is something I see in lots of decklists but I tend to run aggro/pump offensive and keep a creature or two in hand sometimes waiting for the opponents sweeper.
Tried the Vindicator but it just died to easily most times and even though a double strike with pump can be powerful, I cant find the room.
Run some Conclave Tribunal and Lava Coil main board and an Embercleave
Devout Decree, Fry, Shock and hilariously enough Pacifism (against the indestructable Wicked Wolf) in the sideboard (along with a secret tech that most opponents don't read fully (Good against the Cavalcade)

hoser2

List please?

I struggled to find 2s that I wanted to run. I had a love/hate relationship with Adanto Vanguard and feel uncomfortable with Boros Challenger. The Vindicator is a fun-of in hopes of snowballing with Mentor. Trading 1-1 with a removal spell is okay, particularly if we have other creatures that fall to Shock and Bonecrusher Giant anyway. One sideboard plan is to take out Vindicator along with any other <=2 toughness creatures and put in Flame Sweep. So I really want to see what you are doing for 2s. Hopefully returning to Theros will give us some good heroic 1s and 2s.
There are lots of good 3s. I do like Skynight Legionaire and still wonder whether I should replace Warboss or Krenko with some.
Pacifism has always been kinda close. I like it.
Your greater emphasis on evasion and pumps may be better in the new meta. I've noticed that my Azorius Flyer Aggro has some game against the Oko decks.
I haven't put together a Naya list yet although I have come up against them on Arena. Have you looked at Naya?

ascribe
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ascribe » 4 years ago

I loved playing straight RW Feather before rotation, but I think this deck needs green to replace Reckless Rage. This gives us access to Season of Growth and Domri's Ambush with the cost of a less consistent mana base. I know some people were playing with the green splash pre-rotation. Has anyone gone this route recently?

hoser2

Here is something, although I prefer Boros Challenger to Burning Prophet. It's old, but it hasn't taken any bans, so that's something? https://mtgazone.com/deck/naya-feather- ... dard-2020/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing Decks”