Arena NPE "Starter" Decks, Modifications and Other Budget Deck to Grind With

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Free-to-play (F2P) or budget-constrained players may choose to modify their starter decks to grind wins and quests. This thread is all about that. This post will show the contents of the starter decks based on the work of this Reddit post. Subsequent posts will suggest modifications focusing on using limited rares and/or only common and uncommon wildcards.

This thread is for local-to-MTGNexus budget grinding decks. There is a thread that lists all budget grinding decks including those listed elsewhere that we are aware of here.

Beware: I have read that the unranked play queue matchmaking pairs unmodified decks against each other. If you modify your deck without significantly improving it, you may make your competition in that queue fiercer and lower your win rate.

Players who got the older starter decks were given any cards that they were missing from the updated starter decks at rotation. The decks were updated just before rotation, I believe. These match what I got at rotation, but the source post may represent your version better. The newer mono colored decks are missing most rares relative to the pre-rotation versions. The multi-color decks are close to the same, if not identical.

Where there is a subsequent post with an Arena budget version, I link the subsequent post with the upgraded version below the NPE decklist.
Mono-W
Show
Hide
Note: Apparently 4 of the 6 rares in the deck were removed in the rotation version
Angelic Army (Mono-W)
Approximate Total Cost:

Mono-U
Show
Hide
Note: Apparently 4 of the 6 rares and the mythic in the deck were removed at rotation
Azure Skies (Mono-U)
Approximate Total Cost:

Mono-B
Show
Hide
Note: Apparently 4 of the 6 rares in the deck were removed in the rotation version
Out for Blood (Mono-B)
Approximate Total Cost:

Mono-R
Show
Hide
Dome Destruction (Mono Red)

Creatures (Dreadhorde Arcanist and Erratic Cyclops removed at rotation)

1 Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (2 before rotation)
1 Shivan Dragon (2 before rotation)

Land

Approximate Total Cost:

Upgraded version: Cavalcade

Mono-G
Show
Hide
Forest Might (Mono-G)
Approximate Total Cost:

Upgraded versions: UW Flyers

Upgraded versions: Afterlife Tokens; Orzhov Lifegain

Upgraded version: Boros Feather

Upgraded Version: Surveillance Campaign

Rakdos
Show
Hide

Upgraded version: Convoke Tokens

Upgraded versions:

Tags:

hoser2

Budget Improved Dimir
Arena Import (with upgraded lands)
Deck
3 Disinformation Campaign (GRN) 167
3 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
3 Whisper Agent (GRN) 220
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Dimir Spybug (GRN) 166
3 Notion Rain (GRN) 193
2 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
2 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
1 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
1 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
1 Connive // Concoct (GRN) 222
1 Mission Briefing (GRN) 44
4 Thoughtbound Phantasm (GRN) 55
4 Nightveil Sprite (GRN) 48
2 Ob Nixilis's Cruelty (WAR) 101
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
9 Island (GRN) 261
8 Swamp (GRN) 262
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53

Non-rare improvements: Dismal Backwater
Rare improvements: Watery Grave, Legion's End, Thief of Sanity, Ritual of Soot, The Elderspell, Murderous Rider, Massacre Girl, Enter the God-Eternals, Liliana, Dreadhorde General, Ugin, the Ineffable, Drowned Catacomb (rotates)

Cards worth considering: 2 Knight of the Ebon Legion,

hoser2

One approach would be to make a Mono-R Cavalcade of Calamity deck, as the namesake card is an uncommon.

Mtggoldfish has the following Cavalcade list here, (video and article here):
This deck has the following rares: 4 Legion Warboss; 4 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame; 4 Experimental Frenzy. Of these, we are given 1 Legion Warboss. We are also given a Dreadhorde Arcanist. To fill the remaining 7 main deck slots, I would add the Dreadhorde Arcanist, 2 Chandra, Novice Pyromancer, 1 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator, 2 more Scampering Scorcher and (to accommodate the more expensive cards) 1 Mountain. That would lead to the following:
Rare improvements: Torbran, Thane of Red Fell; Chandra, Acolyte of Flame; Legion Warboss; Experimental Frenzy; Chandra, Fire Artisan; Dreadhorde Arcanist

I don't really have a good substitute for Experimental Frenzy, but the Mtggoldfish article suggests that 4 aren't needed. In Bo1, of course, none of the sideboard cards matter. Also rare, but Chandra, Fire Artisan could sub in for a few Frenzies.

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.

hoser2

Between Dimir, Mono-R and Selesnya, you could fulfill all cast X colored spell quests.
Some of these budget decks work best when they tend aggressive, as more expensive decks can leverage their better cards over time. Value cards like Conclave Cavalier may be less effective than Rally for the Throne due to the speed even though the Cavalier is a much better card.
The balance of anthems and tokens may be somewhat off. For more anthems, consider another Pledge of Unity or Flower // Flourish. For more creatures, more Rally for the Throne or Sworn Company could work. Oakhame Ranger is interesting, but it seems slow.
Useful uncommons: Blossoming Sands (better than Selesnya Guildgate here)
Useful rares/mythics: More Emmara (up to at least 3); Ajani, the Greathearted (up to 2); Trostani Discordant; Venerated Loxodon (up to 4); March of the Multitudes(up to 4); Temple Garden (up to 4)

Edit: Added Ajani to desirable rares, removed a Forest and added a Conclave Tribunal.

hoser2

For the Azorius deck I want to build around Empyrean Eagle and Dovin's Acuity, but not in the same deck. This post will focus on flyers with Empyrean Eagle

Useful Uncommons: Tranquil Cove
Useful Rares: Unbreakable Formation; Sephara, Sky's Blade; Hallowed Fountain

Edit: Oops, no Rustwing Falcon (M19), tweaked list.

hoser2

For science, and as I wanted to grind up to Gold from Silver 1 in the last 14 hours before the end of the season, I tried the below modified list in the Bo1 Standard Ranked Queue. I went 4-3 to get there, basically winning whenever I was on the play. I beat Simic Aggro, Gruul Aggro, Mono-R and Orzhov Priest, while losing to Rakdos Aggro/Sacrifice, Izzet Phoenix ond Yarok Field.

Too small a sample to generalize, except that at high silver it seemed competitive. Looking at the curve of the above posted deck, I saw that it had no twos, so I threw in the Faerie Vandals.
Improved Azorius Senate (Blue/White)
Approximate Total Cost:

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Not tried this yet but I feel like the Orzhov deck can be improved for minimal investment into a surprisingly decent deck with some room to expand. For this deck I will focus on a token based strategy with some aristocratic sacrifice for value outlet.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Cards Removed
1 Priest of Forgotten Gods
2 Basilica Bell-Haunt
2 Sunblade Angel
1 Pitiless Pontiff
2 Grasping Thrull
2 Imperious Oligarch
1 Unlikely Aid
1 Revival // Revenge
4 Orzhov Guildgate

Wildcards Added
11 Uncommons (may be 8 and 3 commons instead)
1 Mythic Rare

Cards to Consider Adding
Liliana, Dreadhorde General (Fantastic card draw engine)
Syr Konrad, the Grim
Godless Shrine
Teysa Karlov
Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord

hoser2

For more science (and a pack), I tried to grind from Silver 2 up to Gold in another account with 13 hours left. This is not a fantastic achievement as any win rate over 1/3 will allow one to grind to Gold. This account had some Chandras, so I threw them in. Below is the deck I used:
Semi-Budget Cavalcade
Approximate Total Cost:

Going for about even wins and losses, I was able to get there.
Mirror L
Dimir Control L
Kethis W
Mono-R with Spear Spewer W
Sultai Midrange L
Golgari Midrange W
Sultai L
Rakdos Aristocrats L
Simic Flash W
Azorius Flyers W
Rakdos Knights W

hoser2

When I need to grind quests in W or U, I have still been grinding the UW Flyers deck above for about a 50% win rate (in Bronze, but whatever). This Reddit thread suggested a different build that seems based on more experience.
I have been using it to grind quests and it seems fine (maybe slightly better than the previous) up to Gold at least (winrate > 33%). The thread doesn't come down with an exact consensus decklist, The least agreed-upon cards seem to be Loyal Pegasus, Faerie Vandal, Cloudkin Seer, Hanged Executioner, Prison Realm, Conclave Tribunal, Gods' Willing, Depose // Deploy and Winged Words.
Reddit UW Flyers

Sideboard (I guess you could try it in bo3. I will try to fill this in later. Suggestions welcome)

Approximate Total Cost:

Arena export of example:
3 Sephara, Sky's Blade (M20) 36
8 Island (ANA) 62
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
8 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
2 Loyal Pegasus (M20) 28
4 Winged Words (M20) 80
4 Empyrean Eagle (M20) 208
2 Hanged Executioner (M20) 22
3 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
4 Rally of Wings (WAR) 27
1 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
1 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 243
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54

hoser2

For Boros, Feather is not totally a budget-buster, but not cheap either. We start with 1 Aurelia; 1 Tajic; 1 Dreadhorde Arcanist (pre-rotation NPEs only), 1 Swiftblade Vindicator, 1 Legion Warboss and 1 Sacred Foundry along with some useful uncommons. I wouldn't recommend trying this with less than 3 Dreadhorde Arcanist, 3 Feather and 2 Sacred Foundry, using 6 rare wildcards. From my current testing version, I just pulled Krenko and put in Aurelia.
Substitutes:
  • Sacred Foundry->Fabled Passage, Wind-Scarred Crag, Boros Guildgate, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Plains
  • Dreadhorde Arcanist (not more than 1, preferably none) → Sunhome Stalwart, Tithe Taker, another Swiftblade Vindicator; Tomik, Distinguished Advokist; Legion Guildmage; Hushbringer; Skynight Vanguard
  • Feather (not more than 1) → Legion Warboss; Krenko; Skynight Legionnaire; Bonecrusher Giant
Useful rares if you have them: Krenko; Giant Killer; Bonecrusher Giant; more Legion Warboss,
Other cards to consider: Lava Coil; Justice Strike; Prison realm

Please suggest improvements, particularly if you try it!

hoser2

For science, I ran the following version of Convoke Tokens out for a spin. It's ridiculously small sample size, but 1-0 against Mono-R so far.

I want to try Ajani, the Greathearted in the deck next time.
Edit: Three more games/bo1 matches went 1-2: L UW Flyers, L Simic Food, W Simic Ramp. I worked in two Ajani before any of the three matches and removed a land before the last match, adding a Conclave Tribunal.
Arena export below:
4 Raise the Alarm (M20) 34
8 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Emmara, Soul of the Accord (GRN) 168
9 Plains (ANA) 61
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
1 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
2 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
2 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
3 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243
4 Woodland Champion (M20) 205
3 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
1 Rosemane Centaur (GRN) 197
1 Conclave Cavalier (GRN) 161
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Ironroot Warlord (M20) 209
1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
1 Pledge of Unity (WAR) 210
1 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 255
2 Ajani, the Greathearted (WAR) 184

hoser2

Another approach for a budget Selesnya deck would be to focus on adventures and try to leverage Edgewall Innkeeper. Aaron Barich won the SCG Classic in Philadelphia with a rare-laden list that I will try to adapt.

hoser2

For science, a win and to fulfill some U and B colored quests, I took Surveillance Campaign 0.00 (with upgraded lands) out for a spin at Silver 2. I played 5 bo1 games/matches, going 1-4 as follows:
  • Rakdos Sacrifice, L. Wanted cheap removal (Disfigure?), more B sources.
  • Gruul Adventure, L. Disfigure works against Innkeeper also, curve seems too high.
  • Tezzeret Artifacts, L. Disfigure works against Emry also
  • Rakdos Sacrifice, L. Where's that Disfigure for Priest of Forgotten Gods.
  • Golgari Adventure, W. Connive on Murderous rider clears the way for an 11/11 Thoughtbound Phantasm.
In go 2 Disfigure, another Whisper Agent, a Thief of Sanity and a tapland. Out with Doom Whisperer, 2 Discovery //Dispersal and a Notion Rain. 5 games is too few to really decide much, but the deck just felt too slow.

Arena Import (with upgraded lands)
Deck
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Whisper Agent (GRN) 220
4 Dimir Spybug (GRN) 166
2 Notion Rain (GRN) 193
2 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
2 Ob Nixilis's Cruelty (WAR) 101
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
8 Island (GRN) 261
8 Swamp (GRN) 262
2 Disfigure (M20) 95

hoser2

Out of stubbornness and to get together enough gold to get into a draft, I ran this into 9 more bo1 matches, going 2-7. After 1 game I made the following changes to create the deck below: +1 Castle Vantress, +1 Castle Locthwain, +2 Murderous Rider, -1 Swamp, -1 Island, -2 Ob Nixilis's Cruelty.

TLDR: Deck is not competitive at Silver, suitable only for fulfilling quests.

Games went as follows:
  • Dimir Mill; L
  • Mono-U Tempo; L; Only B lands->mull, then only lands were both castles, match not really useful for eval due to mana/mull
  • Mono-R; W
  • Golgari Adventure; L
  • Golgari Adventure; L
  • Esper Stax; L
  • Grixis Dredge; L
  • Gates; W; opponent stuck on 4 lands, match not really useful for eval due to mana
  • Mono-R; L; I punted on this one and it went long, so maybe winnable?

Arena Import
Deck
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Whisper Agent (GRN) 220
4 Dimir Spybug (GRN) 166
2 Notion Rain (GRN) 193
2 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
7 Island (GRN) 261
7 Swamp (GRN) 262
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

hoser2

While I am not certain that I have improved it, I used rares that I owned to change my Mono-R Cavalcade as follows. It has been adequate for grinding toward Gold and for fulfilling quests.
hoser2's Cavalcade 0.01
Approximate Total Cost:

Deck
2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
19 Mountain (ANA) 64
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
2 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
3 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
4 Shock (M19) 156
2 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216
4 Chandra's Triumph (WAR) 121
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
4 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115

hoser2

For science and to fulfill quests, I tried the below (budgetized) version of the second tempo deck suggested by Reddit user PryomancerMTGA here. I only played 3 bo1 games/matches and feel uncertain about my play choices, but I can't really recommend it. More testing would be necessary to reach a real judgement.
I went 1-2 as follows:
  • Sultai Oven Food; Loss on the draw. Played Cutthroat into Swift End open mana and was punished.
  • 4 Color Superfriends; Loss on the draw. Essence Capture was really bad in this matchup, so of course I drew 3.
  • Sultai Food, W, Possible shame concede after Brinehorn Cutthroat was turned into a 5/5 Elk and was about to kill Oko.
Mono-U Tempo
Approximate Total Cost:

Arena Import
Deck
3 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
2 Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer (M20) 68
4 Opt (ELD) 59
3 Unsummon (M20) 78
3 Anticipate (M20) 45
4 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
2 Negate (M20) 69
3 Quench (RNA) 48
4 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
2 Devious Cover-Up (GRN) 35
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
20 Island (ELD) 254
2 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
1 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45

hoser2

For more science and to fulfill another quest, I built the below budget Orzhov Lifegain deck based on comments by Michael Van Korff and Kuba Burian in response to Martin Juza's article presenting multiple artisan decks. I went 1-3 at Gold 4, punting a match to mono-R Cavalcade w/Embercleave, losing to Rakdos food and beating Simic Flash. Obviously, no conclusion can be drawn from so little data, but further testing might be warranted. I am concerned at the lack of card advantage, though.
Orzhov Budget Lifegain
Approximate Total Cost:

Arena import
Deck
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
7 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
2 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
7 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
4 Impassioned Orator (RNA) 12
4 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
4 Gods Willing (M20) 19
3 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188

hoser2

For science and to fulfill G quests, I took a G deck that Aitch-Kay used to ladder (from here). I replaced a Kraul Harpooner with a Pelt Collector because I had it.
  • Rakdos Sacrifice: Win.
  • Simic Ramp: loss.
  • Orzhov Control: loss
  • Simic Flash: loss
  • Dimir Control: loss
  • Mono-B Control: win
  • Orzhov Control: win. Premature concession seemed unearned
  • Izzet Phoenix: win
After 8 matches 4-4 is fine, but small sample size forbids judgment.
Aitch-Kay Mono-G Season
Approximate Total Cost:

Arena import
Deck
2 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
25 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
4 Growth Cycle (M20) 175
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
2 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
3 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
3 Season of Growth (M20) 191
3 Silverback Shaman (M20) 195
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
1 End-Raze Forerunners (RNA) 124
1 Finale of Devastation (WAR) 160
2 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
3 Gnarlback Rhino (M20) 300

hoser2

More results on my experimentation with Aitch-Kay's Mono-G list. I 've been losing with it. A lot. I stopped keeping records, as it seemed pointless, but I doubt that I could make Gold (winning over 1/3 of the time) with it. I still use it to grind out G quests and it can win, but my admiration for Aitch-Kay as a player only grows. I feel amazed that they got to Gold 2 with it.

hoser2

For science and quests, I modified Aitch-Kay's Mono-W (from here) list and have been running it in bo1 ranked. It's been good. I haven't kept records, but I think I am at at least 50% with it over at least 12 games. While that is not enough for a judgment of statistical significance, I would say that factoring in Aitch-Kay's experience, it gains some credibility. I would recommend it for anyone trying to fulfill quests, score wins and rank to Gold. Ranking beyond Gold? Aitch-Kay made Platinum, but running their Mono-G list to worse results than they got tells me that they are a better player than I. You could try it as a challenge, but I doubt it is the most efficient choice. If you are worried about ranking to Platinum and beyond, I think you are moving out of budget territory and the scope of this thread.
Here's my modified version. I removed a Gingerbrute, a Hushbringer and a Loyal Pegasis, adding a Venerated Loxodon, a Hunted Witness and a Giant Killer.
Modified Aitch-Kay White Weenie Lifegain
Approximate Total Cost:

Arena Import:
Deck
1 Citywide Bust (GRN) 4
18 Plains (ANA) 61
3 Angel of Vitality (M20) 4
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Beloved Princess (ELD) 7
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
4 Charmed Stray (WAR) 8
2 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
1 Inspired Charge (M20) 24
2 Sunhome Stalwart (GRN) 26
1 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
1 Raise the Alarm (M20) 34
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
2 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
2 Giant Killer (ELD) 14

hoser2

With the release of Theros Beyond Death, I have been drafting and playing sealed. Having achieved effective rare completion of the new set, my attention turns to constructed. For two accounts, I just look to work them to Gold. Hence I fell back to an old budget standby to see if it could still work it's way to Gold.
I decided to try UW Aerial Aggro in bo1 (list below). While I started with slightly different lists, I standardized on the list below about midway through the climb to Gold. Across three accounts I went 63-53 and I consider the deck adequate to grind to Gold and fulfill relevant quests.

Arena Import
Deck
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
7 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Empyrean Eagle (M20) 208
8 Island (ANA) 62
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Winged Words (M20) 80
4 Rally of Wings (WAR) 27
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76