Golgari adventures

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I haven't seen any thread for GB/Golgari adventures yet so I decided to make the thread.

I'll get around to posting my list but the deck is kinda similar to the GW and GR lists in a sense that it wants to pair edgewall innkeeper with various adventure cards. Like the other variations it gets lovestruck beast but some of the black cards are really sweet IMO. You get foulmire knight to double as buying creatures back, murderous rider to double as a great removal spell and a great body and foulmire knight as a draw spell and early body. rankle, master of pranks and massacre girl are also super good creatures

Vraska and Liliana are also super good reasons to play Golgari.

Has anyone had any results with the deck? I don't think it was popular at the MC6 or the people playing it just didn't do well. I think they may have just struggled against the Oko decks due to it just couldn't go as fast as GW or GR

I really wanna play more matches with this deck but haven't had much of a chance

hoser2

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

It placed a deck in the top 8 of MC VI. The overall win rate of 48% was reasonable. Depending on the upcoming ban announcement tomorrow, it could be poised to be more of a player.

hoser2

Wanting to grind some wins, I built a budget version of this from yoman5's article as shown below. Obviously, it needs more Murderous Riders. Too soon to tell, but in 6 bo1 matches at Gold 4 I should have gone 1-7, despite a technically better record. It might not be a bo1 deck. Is Knight of the Ebon Hand playable here?

Edit: while sample sizes of less than 20 are suspect, between the MTG Arena Tool statistics and these results, I am reaching some conclusions. First, don't do this with less than 4 Murderous Riders. Second, don't do this in the current bo1 meta.
  • Gates, L (Technically a win, but it would have been a loss if not for the opponent going AFK)
  • Mono-R, L, I misplayed, but I doubt I win even if I play correctly
  • Mono-B, L. I think they drew well, as they can't always have 3 Knights of the Ebon Hand in play on turn 2, but it wasn't close
  • Simic Flash, W. T1 Innkeeper into T2 Smitten Swordmaster, then hold up Swift End. Cast triggers are good here.
  • Rakdos Catrifice, L. Need more removal/answers. So far, seems like bad bo1 matchup. Leyline of the Void.
  • Opponent insta-concede. RNG
  • Jund Catrifice, L.
  • Mono-B: On draw, mull 1-lander into 2 lander, never draw green source or land 3 and only play 2 Lucky Clovers. RNG
  • Gruul Embercleave, L
  • Rakdos Catrifice, L

Arena Import
Deck
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
2 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
9 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
2 Blacklance Paragon (ELD) 79
4 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
2 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226
6 Forest (ANA) 65
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
3 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) GR8

Edit: adding ongoing matches as my own notes

hoser2

Cory Baumeister has another build and a video demonstrating same on Star City.

And three versions at 5-1 in the first day of the Twitch Rivals tournament: Matt Nass, Mike Sigrist and Triosk

motleyslayer

I'm still looking for the lists but there was a WPN qualifier at a store somewhere in Québéc (Montreal I think) that had a GB adventures mirror in the finals. I'll try and find the lists to post

hoser2

• Mike Sigrist took first and Triosk took tied for 3rd/4th in the Twitch Rivals tournament referenced above.
  • Top 3 of the first postban Aetherhub tourney also flavors of Golgari Adventures here (deck typing and (so far no meaningful) discussion here)
  • Also this Reddit post.
  • This version went 6-2 at a PTQ.

hoser2

To randomly grind wins and quests on Arena, I took a budgetized version of gardrd's MTGO 5-0 list.
So far (starting in Bronze, bo3):
  • Mardu Embercleave Knights: win, 2-1; Embercleave can be a beating, but Murderous Rider on Embercleave target in response to targeting is good, as is activating Brontodon to destroy Embercleave. Sideboarding plan is artifact removal and to give up some grindiness for early removal thinking we have the long game with Innkeeper, but need to survive, defending planeswalkers may not work: +Thrashing Brontodon; +Legion's End; +Finale; +Noxious Grasp; -Foulmire Knight; -Garruk; -1 Vraska; -Massacre Girl
Budget substitutions: 2 Jungle Hollow for 2 Temple of Malady; 1 Garruk for 1 Rankle; 1 Order of Midnight for 1 Questing Beast
Arena Import
Deck
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
2 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
7 Forest (ELD) 266
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
6 Swamp (ELD) 258
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
2 Jungle Hollow (M20) 248
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191

Sideboard
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
2 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Duress (M19) 94
1 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197

motleyslayer

similar to what I had pre-once upon a time ban, what's your opinion on the vivien from war of the spark in the deck? I wanna try it

hoser2

She seems good and her minus can hit planeswalkers, but needs creatures and is harder to cast. In my list, I would want to tweak the manabase towards G and use her in place of another 'walker.

hoser2

Reid Duke plays his MC VII Golgari Clover deck on ChannelFireball. It looked really good in the first match and a half. I hope it's close enough to fit in this thread.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I played against this list for the first time tonight in some casual games and holy cow!! This deck moves!! I thought I was doing cool things with Hypothesizzle, kill three things, make a faerie. I was so heavily out card advantaged in Blue by a BG deck that it was insane. Then he pulled a perfect 5 permanent Casualties of War... Just scooped.

Is anything fighting this well enough to even consider a look?

hoser2

At MC VII it is doing quite poorly, but there are really multiple sub-versions. With the limited scale of the tournament, there is no real aggro, and as the "smaller" deck, it suffers in comparison to the decks that go over the top. It may be possible to go under it also, but without aggro, we won't learn it at MC VII.

motleyslayer

what's your opinion on running regisaur in the deck vs not running it?

hoser2

Based on MCVII, Regisaur and Henge together seems like the best reason to be straight Golgari. In a meta without the flash decks, the Casualties of War arms race seems viable, but if Casualties gets countered, Golgari life seems difficult. The meta shifts so quickly these days. MCVII decklists were in about 2 weeks ago. If aggro comes back, Golgari looks better, but will it ever be better than KiJund food/Sacrifice?

motleyslayer

I'm gonna have to jam some more standard to have my opinion on where i wanna be with this deck now, I don't know if I like more than cat oven though

hoser2

Nick Prince on tcgplayer is advocating this version with deck guide.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive Decks”