Selesnya Adventures

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Introduction

And for those who want to farm the UGx menace, there may be Selesnya Adventures. This good performance is reputedly to be largely nullified by the presence of Massacre Girl in the Sultai Food decks. At Mythic Championship VI, this archetype had an exactly average winrate despite winning only 47% of the time against Sultai Food (small sample size warning here). Andrew Cuneo propelled it into the top 8.

Decklists

MTGNexus Listings
Show
Hide

Arena Import Listings
Show
Hide
PrediMTG
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
2 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
4 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
8 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
8 Plains (ELD) 252
2 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30

3 Devout Decree (M20) 13
2 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198

Nick Prince
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
2 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
8 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
7 Plains (ELD) 252
2 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
2 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
3 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30

3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
3 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198

Andrew Cuneo
Deck
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
1 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
3 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
3 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
8 Forest (ELD) 266
8 Plains (ELD) 250

Sideboard
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
2 Apostle of Purifying Light (M20) 6
1 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
2 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198

Articles, Links, videos, etc.

Tags:

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I've seen that many Sultai lists are running massacre girl now, possibly due to this deck. would you still play this deck to farm those decks?

hoser2

Honestly, I am considering off-meta choices, Reclamation or nonsense that I can't even mention in this section. I did add a reference to Massacre Girl reversing the matchup to the intro earlier this week. You might want to check Golgari Knights out. I haven't tested it but there is a very good reddit post here that could get you started. We should get a thread going for it ...

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

to my fault, I haven't watched much standard coverage or streams since rotation but I think I'm convinced that GW might be the better adventure deck after watching Cuneo play it in the top 8 of the MC. Deck can just flood the board so well and threaten to overwhelm opponents

hoser2

After a week, I noticed that this was a parasitic thread, merging with the existing thread.

Introduction

To grind Arena quests and wins, I ran a budget version of this Selesnya Adventure tokens deck proposed by Nick Prince. The results below are close to accurate, but after I bounced around in Gold for a while, I decided that it wasn't good enough to really get past gold and stopped keeping track. Somehow I pushed through Gold 1 undefeated with 12 hours left to make Platinum 4 on December 30th, but I still don't think it's a great deck.

Results

6-1 (12-4) in Silver, 20-13 (43-35) in Gold:
  • Dimir Control: win 2-0
  • Mono-B: lost a key turn to disconnection, but don't think it mattered, loss 0-2
  • Jeskai Fires Superfriends: win 2-1
  • Jeskai Fires Cavaliers: win 2-1; Boarded in the third Questing Beast, boarded out Gideon on draw (he seemed okay on the play). Didn't see Fires game one, so didn't board in extra Knights of Autumn until G3. Questing Beast and Giant Killer were great. After this match, replaced Harmonious Archon in sideboard with Trostani Discordant
  • WB Knights: win 2-0; t3 Loxodon led to a big attack and a possibly premature concession; sided out 2 Tithe Takers, brought in 2 Glass Caskets and Ajani Greathearted; mulled to 6 off a 1-lander, opponent got stuck on 2 lands and roped the game out. Not sure I should even count it. Silver 2.
  • Simic Flash: win, 2-0. G1, Raise the Alarm in response to a T2 Brineborn Cutthroat led to a T3 Loxodon which made for a board presence even after bounced, then attacking and holding up mana got there, with Giant Killer and Tithe Taker doing good work. G2 on the draw had T3 Loxodon countered by a Frilled Mystic, but the T4 Shifting Ceratops went the distance with assists from a pair of Giant Killers to take care of as many Nightpack Ambushers before they could be declared as blockers and a 0-mana Conclave Tribunal that took out a Nissa.
  • Golgari Adventures: win 2-0 to get into Silver 1. Trostani was good from the board to aggro them out on the draw. To fulfill a Red/Blue quest switched to Mono-R Cavalcade to get into Gold 4.
  • Temur Reclamation: loss 2-0; draw; mull to 6, then mull to 5, never drew off Innkeeper.
  • UW Control: win 2-1
  • Esper Stax: win 2-1
  • Golgari Adventures: win 2-0; Opponent was mana screwed both games, G2 Ajani into Flourish tempoed them out. Maybe Gold 3 (I guess not. I must have misclicked "Traditional Standard Play," which is unranked.).
  • Izzet Flash: win 1-0; After reaching an apparently losing, position opponent roped out for the 1 game loss. Now Gold 3.
  • Golgari Adventures (w/Questing Beast and Voracious Hydra): win 2-0. Sided out Tithe Takers for Glass Caskets and planewalkers G2 on the draw. Unbreakable Formation was really bad, though. G3 dumped the Formations and Tribunals, bringing back the Tithe Takers and Trostani. The extra Trostani bodies won it.
  • Jund Sacrifice: win 2-1. Side in Glass Caskets (for Mayhem Devil) and all the Knights of Autumn (for Trail of Crumbs and maybe Oven).
  • Sultai Ramp: win 2-1. I still don't know what the B is for. G2 I couldn't deal w/Nissa. G3 Glass Casket on Gilded Goose slowed them down and then Venerated Loxodon and Ajani forced a concession. Play Adventure creatures with Innkeeper out first before attacks when Ajani is in the deck! Gold 2
  • Jund Sacrifice: win 2-0. G1, I think opponent was stuck looking for BB. G2, they ran a Paradise Druid into a surprise Raise the Alarm token and cooked it in their Oven. Sided out Lovesick Beasts, as 1/1s don't seem that survivable. Tithe Takers really cramped their style, but playing a non-meta deck helped a lot.
  • Simic Ramp: win 2-0. -Gideon, -2 Tithe Takers, +2 Glass Casket, +Ajani, +Trostani. Stuck on 2 mana forever in G2.
  • Jeskai Fires Superfriends: win 2-0. +3 Knight of Autumn, -2 Tithe Taker. Expect Time Wipe and Deafening Clarion. Gold 1
  • Dimir Midrange Mill Jank? (Overwhelmed Apprentice, Thought Collapse, Thief of Sanity, Murderous Rider): win 2-1. G1 three straight 1 land hands (keeping 5) into no more lands for a couple of turns leads to packing it in. G2, G3 used Venerated Loxodon to assemble a large wide board and ran over opponent.
  • Esper Wishes Discard Midrange (yeah, whatever, you tell me what to call it. It was a brew, but the Burglar Rats, Fae of Wishes and Disinformation Campaigns wrecked me): loss 1-2
  • Regisaur-Henge Golgari Adventures: win 2-1. G1 Get Innkeeper down and play 2 Giant Killers. Opponent plays out 2 Regisaurs. Tap Regisaurs down while building up mana for a fatal Flourish. G2 opponent goes off with Innkeepers and Henges. G3 get Innkeeper down, draw a few cards, blow up a Henge with a Knight of Autumn and finally kill a Regisaur with the adventure side of Giant Killer. Questing Beasts everywhere.
  • Rakdos Cleave: loss 0-2.
  • Simic Ramp: win 2-0
  • Jund Sacrifice: loss 0-2.
  • Golgari Food: loss 0-2.
  • Jeskai Fires: win 2-1
  • Jund Sacrifice: loss 0-2.
  • Golgari Adventure: loss 1-2.
  • Izzet Flash: win 2-0.
  • Mardu Knights: win 1-0. Match concession seemed random
  • Simic Flash: loss 0-2.
  • Rakdos Knights: loss, 1-2
  • Orzhov Knights: loss, 1-2
  • Jund Sacrifice: loss, 0-2
  • Niv-Mizzet Reborn Fires: loss, 1-2
  • GW Proliferate Adventure: win, 2-0
  • Gruul Adventures: loss 0-2
  • Jund Sacrifice: win 2-1
  • Jund Sacrifice: win 2-1, but this matchup seems terrible. I dropped to Gold 3 and it feels like that's where this deck deserves to be. There may have been another loss or two along the way and random Arena client hosage via spurious disconnect and power outage.
  • Simic Flash: win, 2-0. Gold 2 again

For budget reasons, I played 1 Blossoming Sands in place of a Temple Garden, a sideboard Gideon became Ajani the Greathearted and a March of the Multitudes became a Harmonious Archon. Don't do this if you want to maximize your competitive results.
Arena export of budget version:
Deck
7 Forest (ANA) 65
7 Plains (ANA) 61
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
4 Raise the Alarm (M20) 34
3 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243

Sideboard
1 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Devout Decree (M20) 13
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
3 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves (WAR) 224
1 Harmonious Archon (ELD) 17
1 Ajani, the Greathearted (WAR) 184

hoser2

And found Crokeyz playing an updated version of this. I will update later, but I think the Serpents and Vivien seemed to get edited out. Edit: updated. I guess he got to #1 with this.
Arena
1 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
9 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
4 Huatli's Raptor (WAR) 200
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
8 Plains (ELD) 252