Mono-Red Aggro

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

While we don't have a top tournament finish since rotation to Throne of Eldraine, Aaron Barich held the #1 position on Arena for a while with this list.

Tags:

hoser2

Martin Juza wrote this article about making it to #3 on Arena with Mono-R and farming Golos Fields along the way.

hoser2

Here is a Reddit thread about the latest iteration: Anax, Phoenix and lots of Embercleave, go! I guess Reddit User jsilv is Josh Silvestri. He talks more about Mono-R at ChannelFireball here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Andrea Mengucci posted an here for CFB with an interesting mono red list in it.

I never put much time into the list as it's always felt weak but I might try it again with a newer meta

hoser2

A followup from Josh Silvestri at Channelfireball with 3 updated Mono-R lists.

motleyslayer

The "Bigger Red" list he had there was interesting and something I can see myself trying

hoser2

Andrea Mengucci takes a look on channelfireball here.

hoser2

Bobby Fortunately (top 4 SCG Team Open Philadelphia) makes a case for "Small-Red Aggro" on Channelfireball.

motleyslayer

looks like mono red did well at the World Championship. was it players meta gaming against each other or if it was actually good

hoser2

Apparently, Mono-R is good. Nick Prince here and Aaron Barich (on HardcastMTG) seem to agree that it has a sneaky combo-ish strength. I played the Mengucci-Manfield version in the Arena event and it was fine. It didn't seem fantastic, though. I mean, you can't complain about tier 1, right?

Seth Manfield posts a deck guide about the Mono-Red deck that he and Andrea Mengucci played at Worlds on Tcgplayer.

Andrea gives his version on Channelfireball.

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

I think the Manfield/Mengucci list is pretty close to optimal, though if you're facing less control you may want to tweak it a bit (fewer Anax, more Shock, etc.) Embercleave is really good, it wins games that you wouldn't win without it, but it can also cost you a game if you have two in your hand (it's Legendary and almost never gets removed, so the second one is a dead card, and more importantly it's not a creature, ideally you want to be able to attack with three creatures and cast it for 1RR.) I like that it can win against all of the other decks - I guess Jund or R/B is the worst matchup? - but there's also not really a matchup where it auto-wins.

hoser2

Seth Manfield updates his take with video here (caveat: I haven't watched this video).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive Decks”