[Placeholder] Primer - Death's Shadow Delver

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 4 years ago

This is the placeholder thread for the Legacy Death's Shadow Delver Primer on MTG Nexus. If you would like to take over the primer for this particular deck, please message a Legacy staff member.

Death's Shadow Delver is a Blue-Black Delver variation that utilizes Death's Shadow as an additional powerful threat alongside the usual Delver of Secrets and Gurmag Angler. To power out an impressively-sized Death's Shadow as soon as possible, the deck runs shocklands like Watery Grave alongside spells like Thoughtseize, Reanimate, Street Wraith, Dismember, and Snuff Out. The usual bevvy of cantrips and counterspells round out the list - Ponder, Brainstorm, Daze, Force of Will - with the occasional inclusion of Stubborn Denial and Stifle as well. Because the deck can operate with few or even no dual lands, it is a popular list for newcomers to the Legacy format, though it has fallen out of favor slightly as Dreadhorde Arcanist Delver lists have gained popularity.

Death's Shadow Delver, 1st Place SCG Team Open Baltimore
Approximate Total Cost:

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 5 months ago

I've been putzing around with Delver Shadow a bit, lately. Orcish Bowhamsters has really warped the format, so literal actual Delver hasn't been great, recently, nor has Dark Confidant, both of which are in my build. It's been recommended that I swap things out for Grief, Troll of Khazad-dûm, Bowhamsters, and Reanimate, which seems like good changes, all around - however, I'm hesitant to drop another $350 on what was ostensibly supposed to be a budget deck (just picked up a playset of FoW for it), especially because I think the Orcs are gonna eat a ban within the next year or two. Even still, Grief is also pricey, and Reanimator isn't exactly bulk. Maybe I'll do the swap somewhere down the line - but where's UB midrange been sitting, these days, in the Legacy rankings?

Diz
Griever

I traded for a playset of the Trolls, and picked up a playset of Grief and Reanimate. I think this deck is gonna be really strong.

Diz
Griever

Here's my current list:
Delver Shadow
Approximate Total Cost:

Still not going the Bowhamsters route since I still think the chance they get banned is very real.

Diz
Griever

Post by Diz » 4 months ago

Thinking about putting together a sideboard for this and making it a proper Legacy deck. Some combination of the following:

Dismember
Surgical Extraction
Brazen Borrower
Dress Down
Plague Engineer
Snuff Out
Sheoldred's Edict
Flusterstorm
Force of Negation

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Proven”