[Placeholder] Primer - Goblins

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 4 years ago

This is the placeholder thread for the Legacy Goblins Primer on MTG Nexus. If you would like to take over the primer for this particular deck, please message a Legacy staff member.

Goblins is an adaptable creature-based deck that can take on different roles dependent on its matchup. Against control decks, it plays a long game, utilizing Cavern of Souls and Aether Vial to drop in a long stream of self-replacing creatures like Goblin Ringleader and Goblin Matron, overwhelming them with value. Against combo decks, it plays a faster game, utilizing Goblin Lackey to cheat in early threats, with Goblin Warchief and Goblin Piledriver setting up a fast clock, while attacking their lands with Wasteland and Rishadan Port. A black splash allows Goblins to utilize Earwig Squad and Munitions Expert to attack combo and aggro decks, respectively, as well as cards like Sling-Gang Lieutenant and Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. Matron allows the deck to run a large toolbox of different goblins including Goblin Trashmaster and Krenko, Mob Boss.

Yawgmoth
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

Here is my current list. It's completely untested and also my first legacy deck. I am splashing r/g for a couple of obvious black card (Stronghold) as well as a couple of less obvious green cards (Once Upon a Time, Veil of Summer and Grumgully).

I enjoy the Grumgully/Redcap combo in modern but I can see how it may not be powerful enough for Legacy. It's also not really necessary to win but it is lots of fun. I don't like having Piledriver in the sideboard but I don't know how to support the combo and Piledriver simultaneously. I often board Piledriver in against slower decks or when the opponent has strong combo disruption.

Yawgmoth
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

Played at a $2k this weekend, 120 players. This is the list I want to play now instead of what I brought.

The major changes were to dump the Leyline of the Voids and move Chainwhirler to the main. My best matchups were (surprisingly) against Storm. I accidentally misplayed and forgot to play my turn 0 Leyline and still managed to win with a turn 2 Earwig Squad off of a Skirk Prospector attack and sac. I decided to mainboard 1 because every time I landed a Squad I won the game on the spot. A turn 2 5/3 for 3 cmc is also a reasonable clock even against decks without good extraction targets. I'm lieu of sideboard Surgical Extractions, I am going to try a second Squad.

Main deck Chainwhirler is very good against Elk. We don't have access to anything which can trade with an Elk and come out alive. The 1 damage etb ping to an Oko can also bring it into range of Gempalm/Munitions Expert. I'm reticent to remove the mainboard Tarfire but idk what else to trade for Chainwhirler.

Sling-Gang should be a two of mainboard. There is really no reason not to. It does everything this deck wants and gives us access to lifegain which can buy us valuable time against Depths.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Proven”