[SCD] Prismatic Vista

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

pv.png
Decided to create a thread for this card after a chat with some people on another forum.
Hopefully, this get's rolled out to a standard set someday to decrease the price. Right now, it costs just as much as a foothills or a strand.. and actually costs more than a heath. Prismatic Vista has a disadvantage of not being able to fetch shocks.. however, it has the advantage of being able to get any color because it can fetch all basics. :)

Could this card have a chance to be used in modern?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I think the only 3 color deck that wants this is that Snow list. Having the option for the missing color snow basic probably helps them reduce variance a bit. Maybe other three color decks want it if Blood Moon becomes more popular again? I know it can't fetch through BM, but it can get the basic you need in the face of a potential BM. That's total speculation though.

I could see decks like Izzet Phoenix trying to leverage 4 Tarns and 4 Vista to get to 8 fetches without losing the color flexibility from having to otherwise run Flooded Strand. How many a list like that really benefits from is up for debate.

Mono color decks probably care less, now that I think about it. There's no reason Mono R Phoenix can't run 4 Bloodstained Mire, 4 Tarns, 4 Wooded Foothills, and 4 Arid Mesa. Not that that's really their goal, but just writing out the options makes it look almost silly to consider unless you already have them.

I think 2 color decks is probably the sweet spot for this card. Generally 3 color is running a pretty strict mana base already, 1 color doesn't care, and 4 color is doing some off the wall mana nonsense that goes beyond this. The price on these is probably propped up by supply more than anything, I just don't think they're that useful outside specifically 2 colors.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I could see decks like Izzet Phoenix trying to leverage 4 Tarns and 4 Vista to get to 8 fetches without losing the color flexibility from having to otherwise run Flooded Strand. How many a list like that really benefits from is up for debate.
hmm, fair enough reasoning. I guess two color decks are indeed one of the better homes for this card.
Last edited by The Fluff 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Prismatic vista seems really good in the snow deck if they can recur it with wrenn and six . It also seems really good in UW control and Izzet Phoenix because it allows them to run 8 fetches that can get both of their colours

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

tl;dr: everyone should own a play set, full stop.

It's a card that is great today and will only get better with time.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

This card is an auto-include 4x in any two color modern deck I make now. It particularly shines when I'm trying to splash a second color and don't want to run a bunch of shock/enters tapped lands (for example in RB goblins running Blood Moon).

When Modern Horizons first came out a lot of people were saying this was essentially a budget version of dual fetches that would see no real play outside of many commander. I have to disagree. I do not see this ever being less than $20 again outside of a reprint and I think it will see plenty of play in modern. In a dual color deck it is equally good as any other fetch.

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Even 3 colour decks, with a heavy enough basic count, should probably include this. Probably undervalued at $25.
UR Control UR

Algernone25
Salvation Migrant

Post by Algernone25 » 4 years ago

I'm going to be the guy dropping a hot take in here. This card is straight garbage. There's nothing here that can't be better accomplished by the already established fetches, and the people saying "run it in 2-color decks!" you realize that you already have options that let you do that, right? Red-white burn does it, blue-red storm did it (the reason they don't isn't because it made the deck bad, it's because knowing the bottom of your deck is relevant), and UR Drake does it anyway.

I had to have this pointed out at me during gencon, the one possible use it has in any 60-card format: Wastes can't be fetched by any of the normal fetchlands, so eldrazi tron might want a couple so they can proactively play around blood moon. I can't justify any price higher than $5 if MH1 is truly being printed to demand.
Top 16 - 2012 Indiana State Championships
Currently Playing:
GBUStandard - Sultai Dreadhorde MidrangeUBG
RBWModern - Mardu PyromancerWBR
RLegacy - Good Old Fashioned BurnR

Yawgmoth

Algernone25 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm going to be the guy dropping a hot take in here. This card is straight garbage. There's nothing here that can't be better accomplished by the already established fetches, and the people saying "run it in 2-color decks!" you realize that you already have options that let you do that, right?

While there are definitely LOTS of things that other fetches do better, there are other things that PVista does equally well or better. In those cases, why not use PVista? Or both? For example, BR goblins wants to use Bloodstained Mire first and Prismatic Vista next before any other fetches. Any other fetch here would not be able to grab one of your 2 basic land types. (Unless I'm missing something?)

I don't think that PVista is some amazing sleeper or spec but I do think that PVista has applications and will see use in those applications.

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

Decks that want more landfalls but fear blood-moon and are 2 non-red colors or 3+ colors might want it. For instance I could see mill wanting it for Hedron Crab triggers if they expect blood moon in their meta and want to be sure to get both colors of basic land out sooner.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

It's also rather good in the 3 color snow decks that have plenty of snow basics.

Currently working on a trade to get some for my treefolk snow deck. ><

Yawgmoth

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
It's also rather good in the 3 color snow decks that have plenty of snow basics.

Currently working on a trade to get some for my treefolk snow deck. ><
Yes, this. With [card] arcum's astrolabe [\card] and vista, snow decks can easily operate with 4 colors using basic snow lands.

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

I gonna have to echo that pro-vista crowd. I think the card is good, not earth shattering great, but good. Imho:

1) Most modern decks can fire off all cylinders after just fetching one shock, and this can easily be pieces 5-8 (you don't have to run the playset) to further cement your fixing.

2) as mentioned above this fetches wastes untapped. for eldrazi decks like bant this is actually a pretty sweet fetch to have.

3) if the format ever slows down enough, this makes the tango lands pretty dece. T1/T2 fetch or play basics and then you can start using your traditional fetches to fix for your haymakers in a multiplcolor deck without shocking yourself.

4) if we ever see a pushed landfall payoff card that's modern playable this is an easy four of. It's a pretty deep mechanic that isn't very parasitic considering how many fetches exist in the format now.

5) a few points of life only matter against certain decks/boardstates. There are plenty of times where I'm effectively dead on board and if it takes my opponent 2 turns or 3 turns it's not going to matter because I don't have answers to the board. This cases are typically vastly overestimated.

Amalek0

Post by Amalek0 » 4 years ago

The problem is y'all are modern players and think like modern players.

The real value here is shuffles. There are a good number of Ux archetypes in legacy that play the 4 primary fetchland, but then need additional fetches for the shuffles, but want to grab basics because they play some combination of blood moon and back to basics. In modern, the life points to shock repeatedly matter, so if we see a reason to care about shuffles, we'll see prismatic vista spike in usage.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the card that this can fetch that none of the Onslaught/Zendikar fetches can: Wastes. While there are other ways of searching out a Wastes, almost all have the land come in tapped (Evolving Wilds and most spells). Grow from the Ashes is one of the few exceptions, but that isn't an option on Turn 1 like Prismatic Vista.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

did a search in mtgtop8 yesterday. Saw a playset of this card in several decks that performed well,

price is also now slowly rising..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”