Your top five favourite modern cards

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

This thread is for a bit of fun, and sharing what cards we like in the modern format.
You can simply just list them, or maybe put a short description on why you like them. :)

I'll start.

1. Kaya's Guile - this card is top 1 for me, because it has breathe back life into my mardu pyro deck.
2. Blast Zone - very useful utility land.
3. Tarmogoyf - he's overshadowed by a lot of broken things in modern right now, but he's still good.
4. Soulherder - useful new toy for the deck on my sig.
5. Narset, Parter of Veils - she's a fine weapon against xerox decks, always a 2-of in the sideboards of my blue splash modern decks.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

1. Opt - Instant speed so you can wait if you need to potentially do something else at instant speed during the opponent's turn, some choice prior to drawing, updated to use the scry mechanic when originally printed before it was an official mechanic (but works the same for the most part, except theoretical scry triggers), generally safe to end up in your hand both early and late game. Generally a fair card.
2. Monastery Swiftspear - hasty creature that uses prowess nicely, that extra point of toughness lets it attack more often than it might otherwise be able to, simple design, no weird drawback like Goblin Guide, relatively fair, good aggressive damage source in the right kind of decks, but can also chump block or the like in a pinch.
3. Field of Ruin - I was asking for a card like this before it was a thing
4. Abrade - A nice example of Modern playable modularity
5. Archmage's Charm - Another good example of playable modularity in Modern

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

1. Snapcaster mage I've been playing this card for years and I love it.
2. Liliana of the Veil I love how she can deal with stripping their hand or making them sac a creature
3. death's shadow I love the variants this card leads to
4. Jace, the mind sculptor I love the feel of playing with a card that was banned in standard and at one point banned in modern
5. tarmogoyf I feel that I missed the boat when I picked mine up last October, as it was on the decline in power but I enjoy casting a card that at one point was one of the pinnacles of modern

stubb

Post by stubb » 4 years ago

Spell Pierce
Lightning Bolt
Hexdrinker
Blood Moon
Ancient Grudge

All from my longterm deck, RUG Delver. Pierce is so underrated in Modern. Bolt is just classic, especially with Christopher Rush art. Hexdrinker is a card I picked out early on as great for my archetype, and it has been good early and an absolute house late. Blood Moon is classic and I especially love my HP trio from The Dark. And Ancient Grudge is everything a sideboard card should be in Modern: hits lots of decks, but under narrow circumstances, very efficient, and an automatic two for one.

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

1) Glimpse the Unthinkable
2) Archive Trap
3) Hedron Crab
4) Ashiok, Dream Render
5) Watery Grave

Was my first deck, still my favorite deck. Not completely tuned but fun none the less
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

1. Griselbrand

2. Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn

3. Primeval Titan
4. Tireless Tracker
5. Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis (flame suit on)
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis (flame suit on)
At least you didnt say Thought-Knot Seer! :D
UR Control UR

Offhisgame

Post by Offhisgame » 4 years ago

1 Smallpox - so much potential/value
2 Kolaghan's Command - Best B/R in modern
3 Blood Moon - I love hate
4 Monastary Mentor - Underrated and its getting better
5 Snapcaster - Power

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

Erian Ignis

Post by Erian Ignis » 4 years ago

1. Jace, the Mind Sculptor (the legendary Blue Planeswalker)
2. Snapcaster Mage (best Blue Creature)
3. Cryptic Command (most powerful counter spell in Modern)
4. Force of Negation (the closest I'll ever be to FoW in Modern)

Always trying to brew anything that can include those cards and in multiples. Those are my top cards and whichever Deck can exploit them to the fullest is close to my heart.

5. Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Narset, Parter of Veils, Primeval Titan...

Cheating maybe, but after some consideration I do not have a particular 5th favorite card. I place them there 'cause they're either promo or textless cards.
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
5. Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis (flame suit on)
I agree Hogaak is tons of fun to play with.

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 4 years ago

1. Path to Exile -- always feels like a dream come true to draw it. Maybe it's because I almost always play UW Control, but man, this card is my bread and butter.
2. Splinter Twin :( -- It will be unbanned one day, and when it does, I'll still lose to the interactive matchups. Still, I love the card.
3. Qasali Pridemage -- my favorite creature in all of Modern, Pridemage does a bit of everything. Its exalted lets you swing through with a giant creature (especially when paired with Noble Hierarch), and Pridemage solves a great deal of problem cards.
4. Logic Knot -- I just love efficient answers I guess. Hopefully we'll have Counterspell in the future.
5. Mutavault -- Though I've literally never played it in a Modern tournament, I've always thought this card was insanely good.

Runner ups:
- Griselbrand and other nice reanimation targets -- because reanimation is cool.
- Think Twice -- I'm one of those freaks who actually thinks this card is good.
- Spreading Seas -- because it's such a clean answer to lands and cantrips. Sometimes it just completely hoses your opponent too.
- Cryptic Command -- I think this card is good and does it all, but it's not really my favorite tbh.

Sorry, it's just fun to list out cards I like. :)

DarthDrac

Post by DarthDrac » 4 years ago

1. Hollow One - My first modern deck, also made almost forgotten cards useful Burning Inquiry / Goblin Lore
2. Phyrexian Obliterator - Always had a soft spot for this, good against Thing in the Ice too.
3. Death's Shadow - An underestimated card that has more than proven it's worth.
4. Cavern of Souls - Helps make tribal viable in modern, I still feel it should have one of the downsides from Boseiju, Who Shelters All (legendary, tapped or pain).
5. Lightning Bolt Path to Exile Fatal Push - The one mana answer is just as important as the threats.

wtyyyyyy

Post by wtyyyyyy » 4 years ago

1) Primeval Titan - always loved big fat dumb creatures, only this wasn't so dumb... my first modern deck was monogreen devotion with 4 Primetimes, then Titanshift. Love this card.
2) Wrenn and Six - card which made Jund playable again. Jund's my favourite deck.
3) Liliana of the Veil - such a crutch.
4) Bloodbraid Elf - love the flavour, love the art, love the colours, love the haste, love the value, love the feeling of rolling the dice on what's on top of my deck.
5) Khalni Hydra - once again, timmy at heart. great awesome flavour and terrifying flavour text.

ZephyrScarlet

Post by ZephyrScarlet » 4 years ago

1) Arcbound Ravager - A masterpiece (no pun intended) of a card in terms both of design and power level, and my favourite all-time card since I started playing back during Mirrodin Block. Probably helps that I love all things colorless (specially artifacts) to the point of fetishism. I WILL play Ravager decks as my main deck of choice wherever I can. Vintage Shops in proxy tournaments, Legacy Tezzerator, Modern Scales/Affinity, you name it. I miss stack damage with this guy A LOT.
2) Thought-Knot Seer - So you're telling me that besides the colorless small robots of death I can also play colorless big unholy eldritch abominations of death? Alongside lock pieces like Chalice of the Void and Karn, the Great Creator? Sign me the f- up.
3) Bedlam Reveler - So if all thing colorless is my main fetish, UR based tempo / spellslinging is my secondary one. Instantly fell in love with this dude the second it got spoiled, and bought a foil playset for like 10€ after the hype on them died. With Looting banned and Phoenix perhaps no longer playable, I hope these are an acceptable Tier 1 substitute, so I can play them in tandem with another card in this top.
4) Matter Reshaper - Another colorless card (did I mention yet that colorless is the best color?) where I love everything, from the art to the colorless Eldrazi frame to the straight up value this provides. This was a tough call between Reshaper and Reality Smasher, but ultimately I went for the more interesting card rather than the dumb beater. I wish E-Tron was the viable, competitive option over regular G Tron, but for the time being it seems like it will just be a niche deck that is really good in certain metas and then fades again into obscurity.
5) Thing in the Ice - Another card I instantly fell in love with (like Reveler). It's been a blast playing with it both in UR Storm's sideboard and UR Phoenix throughout the years. I hope something can substitute Looting in the Phoenix shell or that Reveler steps up to the role as a competitive option.

Honorable mentions in Stoneforge Mystic, Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl which were lynchpins from decks I loved to death but that have grown out on me.

worldsaverinc

Post by worldsaverinc » 4 years ago

I am a tribal player at heart.

I like cards like

1. Cavern of Souls - Makes all tribal decks viable.
2. Heritage Druid - Makes Elves EXPLODE! I don't think Elves would be that viable without Heritage Druid busting out some of spaces.
3. Sinew/Predatory Sliver - SLIVERS!!!!!!!
4. Aether Vial/Collected Company/lead the Stampede - Helping Green based Tribal strategies since forever
5. Rageforge Shaman - my favorite lord

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 4 years ago

1 Cryptic Command
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Lightning Helix
5 Aether Vial

With a shoutout to Nahiri, the Harbinger for probably being my hands down favourite card that doesn't really see Modern play anymore.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Commonly played cards I love.

Ensnaring bridge- lock out for those who just want combat- always fun
Rest in Peace- because there is nothing better than a dredge player with no bin...)
Damping sphere- nerfs tron and storm- I am in. A Lovely design.
Blood Moon - people forgetting to pay attention to basics deserve everything they get. Legacy players respect the basic land because Wasteland is in the format and always has been, Modern players do not have the same respect.
Stony Silence- hits so much, and hurts those who like to cheat on mana like Tron or pop a million Eggs in the same turn.

Thought about runed halo here too, and a couple of hatebears plus half the Martyr Proc deck.

niche cards I love or brew with that few people ever play with
Stone rain and Pillage- because it is landkill, like the good old days- you can add Acidic Slime and Primal command too. If it blows up land, it makes me smile.
Ghostly Prison - always great to resolve vs Twin in the old days, I dropped them from Martyr Proc but still play them in Enduring Ideal
Magus of the Tabernacle- I miss the the old REL comp "you forgot to pay, so they go away".
Suppression field- again always loved to nerf twin and other infinite combos, plus fetches, with this bad boy. Nowadays I only sleeve them for Enduring Ideal and similar.

Canopy

Post by Canopy » 4 years ago

I tend to love cards that are both powerful and flexible
1.Knight of the Reliquary - Grows huge pretty easily, can fetch silver bullet lands while pumping itself, and can win on the spot with retreat to coralhelm. My favorite card, period.
2.Inferno Titan - One of the most powerful feeling and satisfying creatures to cast. I've had plenty of games where he devastates the opponent's board and then follows it up next turn by hitting them for 9+ damage
3.Cryptic Command - I used to play almost exclusively control, but I've moved on to playing more aggressive decks the last few years. CC is the main thing I miss from my control days. The amount of options this card gives you feels unfair.
4.Primeval Titan - I still can't believe they made this card. Or at least that it doesn't say basic lands.
5.garruk wildspeaker - super underrated PW. Ramps you when you're ahead, builds your board when you're behind, ends the game in a board stall. And he's like $7.
gw
gr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”