What are your first decks in Modern?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, out of curiousity. What are the first decks people here used in Modern?

Could not exactly remember which one I used first... so my first modern decks are Affinity and Splinter Twin. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Albegas

Post by Albegas » 4 years ago

First one for me was Grixis Twin. Deck was fairly cheap at the time since I put off buying Tarns and just used Khans fetch lands and I figured that it would be a good starting point and let me work my way towards building other UXx decks if I ever got bored of Twin.

TheAnswer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAnswer » 4 years ago

When I first moved after college, I had a casual Merfolk deck that I took to the local shop. I just swapped the Tidal Warriors for Spreading Seas and picked up some Vials, and that was that.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

My first Modern deck was RG Cloudpost. I heard of the deck with the Loci, Breach, and Emrakul, and I was hooked! But...I didn't actually play it at any tournament. I was busy playing Standard at the time, so the deck got banned before I actually got to jam it. The funny thing is that it didn't actually beat my other decks that badly. It felt like it was Tier 1, but nothing like a Eye of Ugin or Hogaak. :shrug:

The first deck I actually played was Merfolk. I had done super well with it in Standard, at 3 top 8s in 4 PTQs, so I felt like why not? The problem was that my meta was infested with Affinity, so I think I was 3-2, 2-3, and 3-2 before I stopped playing it. Probably 1-7 against Affinity during that run. :(
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Forgot to say.. my Twin deck was a standard deck tweaked with just a few improvements for modern. Speaks a lot on the power level of Twin, as it can be ported easily from standard to modern because of the combo kill.

[mention]FoodChainGoblins[/mention]

ah, so you were a fish player for a short time too. One of my friends who is a fish player often slogged it out with my affinity. Fish are scary fast, just one or two turns slower than the robots. I often won because he was not able to buy any hurkyl's recall, but my victories were narrow.. if he had one more turn he would have been the winner, cannot block the fish army because one of my lands has been enchanted with spreading seas. He only stopped playing his deck because it got stolen.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago

@FoodChainGoblins

ah, so you were a fish player for a short time too. One of my friends who is a fish player often slogged it out with my affinity. Fish are scary fast, just one or two turns slower than the robots. I often won because he was not able to buy any hurkyl's recall, but my victories were narrow.. if he had one more turn he would have been the winner, cannot block the fish army because one of my lands has been enchanted with spreading seas. He only stopped playing his deck because it got stolen.
I found that Affinity was just too fast, although admittedly I didn't have the best grasp on the matchup. I started with Hurkyll's Recall at 3 and went up to 4. I think I did it once or twice at the most and they basically dumped their hand the next turn, possibly discarding a card or 2 at their end step.

If I'm remembering correctly, I think one of my opponents responded with double Galvanic Blast, then discard a single card. Next turn, dumped the hand and then killed me the following turn. Merfolk needs a lot of Lords to race that and I'm not sure if Master of the Pearl Trident was out yet?
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

Mono White control / RW lockdown was one of the first strats I worked on. RW Lockdown became an archetype that exists even today.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago

@FoodChainGoblins

I found that Affinity was just too fast, although admittedly I didn't have the best grasp on the matchup. I started with Hurkyll's Recall at 3 and went up to 4. I think I did it once or twice at the most and they basically dumped their hand the next turn, possibly discarding a card or 2 at their end step.

If I'm remembering correctly, I think one of my opponents responded with double Galvanic Blast, then discard a single card. Next turn, dumped the hand and then killed me the following turn. Merfolk needs a lot of Lords to race that and I'm not sure if Master of the Pearl Trident was out yet?
my memories are unclear too. Not sure if MoPT already existed those times. But I almost never burned the player with galvanic blast, I used the blast instead to kill mutavaults that can block Etched Champion. Also I was slowed down, because he's countering cranial plating with steel sabotage. Good times. :)

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Druid/Vizier! I flopped between Bant and Abzan frequently, but I think Abzan was first. I rarely won by combo, but it was enough to keep my opponent's attention and tax them as far as forcing them to hold interaction and mana.

In Abzan, I was Chording for Athreos in response to wraths to protect the combo in the long game. I would often grind out control by blocking Colonnades with Birds of Paradise turn after turn looping through either Witnesses or just the Bird itself. Dropping a Kitchen Finks also occasionally turned on Athreos who turned on Rhonas for a sudden 10 indestructible power to the face.

Bant was sillier. I was cloning Fleecemane Lions with Phantasmal Image and getting them to Monstrous so I never had to sac them. When Eldrazi Tron started making a showing, I would respond to the Thought Knot EtB and take their stuff first. Was nice a second time when they realized that it's colorless now so it gets around All is Dust. The other plan here was chaining Ralliers into Images to put some 12 power into play at the end of their turn.

I had fun with both of these.

Ganondorf77

Post by Ganondorf77 » 4 years ago

Good ol' 8-whack. This was only about 9 months ago, of course. The local Blue Moon guy just steam-rolled me every match.

Was a fun deck. Goblin grenade feels real good sometimes.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

blue red delver when treasure cruise was legal, I didn't get to play that deck too much before it got banned. I also had burn and then Grixis delver later on

pizzap

Post by pizzap » 4 years ago

Shamans. I played a bunch of MTGO "Daily Events" with it, some decks got reported such as this one. There was even an article about it on SCG (probably to sell cards that otherwise never move). Anyway, the deck was actually pretty mediocre with 45% win rate and later I moved to other decks.

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

First deck I ever had in Modern was a BW Tokens deck, lightly upgraded from the Modern Event Deck as I made the transition from Standard to Modern. When I wanted to build my first "real" deck, I originally was inspired by GreatNate to build Jeskai Geist, which I enjoyed a bit. When I discovered Twin, I quickly fell in love.

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Burn → 1 Drop Zoo → Twin → Knightfall → Turns → UWR Control → Blue Moon → Fin.
UR Control UR

stubb

Post by stubb » 4 years ago

8 Rack was my first (thanks, Rob).
Then I built Loam Pox, which Raphael Levy was working on from late 2014 until the printing of Prized Amalgam. This card and the ensuing rise of Dredge really ruined a bunch of interesting graveyard decks. Alas.

Took a break from July 2016 or so, right before the birth of my son, until January 2018 when I came back on UR Delver.
Switch from UR to RUG Delver in March 2018 and have been on it since.
I took up Eldrazi Stompy for a few months in summer 2018 just as a second deck, but it didn't suit me. Started MTGO here, too, playing Eldrazi before I got into RUG Delver.
I tried out Loam Pox again, online only, in fall 2018, and found it was exactly as awful as I thought it might be.

I've been on RUG Delver exclusively since the start of 2019 and while I've toyed with getting a second deck, I've found that attacking with undercosted beaters while holding up Spell Pierce is everything I want to do in Modern, and I'm getting to the point where my knowledge of the deck and its matchups goes a long way toward making up some of the raw power shortfalls.

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

stubb wrote:
4 years ago
I've been on RUG Delver exclusively since the start of 2019 and while I've toyed with getting a second deck, I've found that attacking with undercosted beaters while holding up Spell Pierce is everything I want to do in Modern, and I'm getting to the point where my knowledge of the deck and its matchups goes a long way toward making up some of the raw power shortfalls.
I actually really want to give this a shot, got a list? Maybe I can borrow from a friend.
UR Control UR

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

Hmm. I cant Remember. However. I Think The deck i played quite a bit and was close to my first was a b/w hand disrupt deck that ended up as b/w tokens
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

stubb

Post by stubb » 4 years ago

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
stubb wrote:
4 years ago
I actually really want to give this a shot, got a list? Maybe I can borrow from a friend.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-03-18-rug-delver/ is what I've been on. Hexdrinker is nuts. Wrenn and Six gives the deck a threat on a different axis, a value engine, and shores up the go-wide matchups. I may be a little overloaded on Force but I like the effect, and little Teferi just wrecks this deck.

Algernone25
Salvation Migrant

Post by Algernone25 » 4 years ago

During THS-KTK standard, I played abzan midrange with value rhinos and blew people out. I remember going to the shop one time and getting sprung on at the last minute, "oh Algernone, we're playing modern this week, not standard. Guess you'll have to go home."

I scoffed, cut temples for Temple Garden and other shocks, added a few Path to Exile and Abrupt Decay over slightly worse removal, and blew people out with value rhinos, same as every other week. Funny enough, that store didn't do modern again.

The first deck I actually built intended for modern was GW Hatebears, but I was never able to get Aether Vial to really make it work. Moved over to a very early iteration of Mardu Pyromancer (playing Dark Confidant and Monastery Mentor alongside YP while relying on Intangible virtue to get there with the tokens) before UR Storm came around. Played that to death, then moved back to Pyro with Bedlam Reveler showing up.
Top 16 - 2012 Indiana State Championships
Currently Playing:
GBUStandard - Sultai Dreadhorde MidrangeUBG
RBWModern - Mardu PyromancerWBR
RLegacy - Good Old Fashioned BurnR

MashedPotato

Post by MashedPotato » 4 years ago

First deck was a mono black mill combo with Altar of the brood Myr Retriever Heartless Summoning. Was a fun little combo at the kitchen table, but to janky to work at FNM
There is always a greater power

nawillih

Post by nawillih » 4 years ago

Back in 2012, when Modern was very new indeed, I put together a White Weenie brew with Mirran Crusaders, Swords of X and Y and a few paths/O Rings and stuff like Elite Inquisitor

It wasn't a very good deck but I enjoyed it :P went 1-3 on the first weekend of Modern being a thing

kddncn

Post by kddncn » 4 years ago

I started on grixis delver the summer before twin was banned, borrowing 2/3rds of the deck from a friend, the first decks I put together on my own were dredge and UW spirits aiming for the later to build into Jeskai flash pre have unbanning, but got sidetracked and built esper control when fatal push got printed, Jeskai Control when I realized esper charm was garbage, and eventually bant spirits and bant vizier. Mostly stopped updating things/sold off a lot besides for the UWx shell materials.
Tundra Lover: uw/x all formats

Father of son with Hydrocephalus

Canopy

Post by Canopy » 4 years ago

Back when modern first came out I made a brew with liquimetal coating and cards like oxidize which could do t2 land destruction or just give me a vindicate every turn. I ended up abandoning it because it created non games when it went off but felt pretty weak otherwise. Not very fun to play in the long run but it did surprise a few people.
gw
gr

boneclockharmony

Post by boneclockharmony » 4 years ago

stubb wrote:
4 years ago
idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
stubb wrote:
4 years ago
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-03-18-rug-delver/ is what I've been on. Hexdrinker is nuts. Wrenn and Six gives the deck a threat on a different axis, a value engine, and shores up the go-wide matchups. I may be a little overloaded on Force but I like the effect, and little Teferi just wrecks this deck.
What do you think of this SvenSveeterSven RUG delver build that has been 5-0ing all summer?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2232345#paper

Really want to try it but also really don't want to spend 750$ on lands :(

Oh, on topic of thread: Only been playing modern for a few months.

Built Mono-Red Prowess shortly after it made its first public appearance but found the deck a little same-samey.
Discovered the Bomat Red thread on MTGsalvation and built that on a whim, and really loved that deck. Played it to good (fnm level) results. Ash Zealot bolting everyone who flashbacked looting was so much fun...
Built the MTGGoldfish Mono R Frenzy-Whack deck.... played it like twice.
Ordered my playset of phoenix to play mono red phoenix (but never used them, and now the deck is dead - I guess they'll just rest in my binder until a Careful Looting is printed in Mh2).
Built the 8-canopy MHayashi mono red burn list because 8 canopy lands??? That sounds awesome! (It is awesome)
Slowly put together the pieces for mono U mill (and played my first games with it today, enjoyed it very much).

So:
Mono-R Prowess → Bomat Red → MHayashi Burn → MonoU Mill

These are all the lists I have sleeved up at the moment... I've studiously ignored the (good) advice of playtesting decks before you buy them, and so far I've escaped without regrets.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Canopy wrote:
4 years ago
Back when modern first came out I made a brew with liquimetal coating and cards like oxidize which could do t2 land destruction or just give me a vindicate every turn. I ended up abandoning it because it created non games when it went off but felt pretty weak otherwise. Not very fun to play in the long run but it did surprise a few people.
that would indeed surprise some people. First time I heard of such a thing.

can you share your list? :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”