What are your first decks in Modern?

Ym1r
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ym1r » 4 years ago

UB Faeries (imported my UB Extended Faeries but without Bitterblossom because it was banned). Then I played UR Faeries that Hoogland had gotten a GP top 16 with (his breakout deck pretty much). Then I played Grixis Cruel Ultimatum control for quite a long time until I managed to get the cards for Jeskai Control.
Counter, draw a card.

worldsaverinc
Pronoun: he / him

Post by worldsaverinc » 4 years ago

RG Shamans. I used pizzap's thread and posted in quite frequently there for a little bit. My first modern FNM, I came in second over 30 people. I never did that well again, but it was fun!

I moved on to other tribes like Elves and Slivers, but still kept a shiny spot in my heart for them.

Canopy

Post by Canopy » 4 years ago

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rug-liq ... 1568213765
I don't have the deck anymore, but I'm pretty sure I changed it from this over time. Some of these card choices are a little dubious in retrospect. The deck is from like 2011 or 12 so some newer cards like reclamation sage should slot in over some of the creatures there. I probably should have also used ancient stirrings.
Also the initial inception of the deck was me wanting to play liquimetal coating with splinter to exile all basic lands from the other players deck. Of course it turned out too slow and most people don't run that many basics.
gw
gr

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

I played KikiPod and then MeliraPod before switching over to Affinity (my original backup plan) once Pod got the ol' Banhammer. I don't precisely have the deck still assembled, but I do have all the pieces still. I prefer removal-heavy, so full set of Dispatch and Electrostatic Bolt to clear away blockers.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

[mention]Canopy[/mention]

that looks like a fun list. Thanks for sharing.

added 4 liquimetal coating to my scg cart. Not now, but I plan to build your deck someday.

[mention]Ymir[/mention]

ah, so you are a faeries player. I see now why you voted BB in the other thread. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

mASTERsELF

Post by mASTERsELF » 4 years ago

UB Taking Turns was my first Modern deck and it is still the deck I play the most. I tried a UR Madcap Experiment Blood Moon deck for a while as well.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

I once owned the whole of Mtg top 8 that was 2% or over- when I started I bought in heavily to the then nascent format- sold my spare overpriced shocks to fund fetches- great move that meant I could own loads of decks to loan out. . I loaned the Tron and burn type lists, whilst I myself enjoyed playing hatebears- D n T. I was normally found in the D n T thread of MTGS discussing with guys like Dr Wurm(or Was it Worm??) and other Mtgs stalwarts. My first list ran a couple of Icatian Javeliners, plus Thalia, Arbiter, Stonecloaker, Vial et al, but it was the Javeliners I remember. I had FE ones, they were legal to TS. In my first game of the final of our first event I dropped one t1 and my Fae opponent put his head on the desk as the boys pinged his early drops and then got reset by Flickerwisp and bounced to repeat the trick. Spellstutter did nothing against the resolved Vial, of course. Happy days, really. Those early decks were all over the shop, I remember being infected to death by Shoal early on- hence the Javalineers!

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

deleted
Last edited by drmarkb 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Amalek0
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Amalek0 » 4 years ago

I went something like this:
UG Post->UR Storm->UWr Control->UR Storm->UW Control->Esper control/valakut-titan (2014-present)

at least for "primary" deck. I own a bunch of decks but I typically only have one I would bring to a competitive event; for the last year or so it's been a tossup between valakut and esper, because the graveyard decks were rough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”