Cards that should be reprinted to enter the Modern card pool

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

We had this thread in salvation. Feels like it's nice to continue it here. :)

to start. I'm hoping for a core set reprint of wild growth, bone shredder, werebear, thran lens, and terravore. Espescially wishing for the terravore, since it would help revitalize rg ponza in modern.

What are the cards you want reprinted?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

“Oh, pick me! I’ll say it!”

Counterspell

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

I think Terravore deserves a comeback, now that RG has their whole land sac thing going on.
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, counterspell would be nice too. I remember seeing a post in salvation.. saying Richard Garfield said that counterspell almost made it to Dominaria.

as for Terravore. They already reprinted it's friend Pillage, so why not reprint him too? He would boost the rg land strategies in modern.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Thenarus

Post by Thenarus » 4 years ago

Would love to see Terravore and Vindicate in Modern, at least. I hope they go full Time Spiral 2 when MH2 comes around so we can get a few more reprints (though I don't personally care what style of border they have).

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

the Deaths Shadow player in me really wants daze but that's not gonna happen

Thenarus

Flip side: cards I hope never make it into Modern:
Hymn to Tourach (randomly takes opponent out of the game)
Price of Progress (way undercounted for the damage)
Wasteland (invalidates entire archetypes, homogenizes decks)
Sinkhole (undercosted way to potentially take opponent out of the game)
Daze (rewards being on the play too much)
Dark Ritual (+2 mana as early as turn one is too good)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

we all know what Dark Ritual would do if it is ever unleashed into modern. :p

As for other cards I wish to be reprinted. Just for casual modern.. soltari trooper, lin sivvi defiant hero, elvish aberration.
Last edited by The Fluff 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

LastConformist

Post by LastConformist » 4 years ago

Thenarus wrote:
4 years ago
Flip side: cards I hope never make it into Modern:
Hymn to Tourach (randomly takes opponent out of the game)
Price of Progress (way undercounted for the damage)
Wasteland (invalidates entire archetypes, homogenizes decks)
Sinkhole (undercosted way to potentially take opponent out of the game)
Daze (rewards being on the play too much)
Dark Ritual (+2 mana as early as turn one is too good)
Personally, I’d love to see Price of Progress in Modern. We need something to reduce the advantages of being 3+ colors.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Burn decks would really be happy if price of progress becomes legal here. :)
PoP kills certain decks in legacy real fast. Maybe it would make a fine sideboard card here in modern?

Thenarus

There are a lot of cards Burn could receive that would make it stronger, with varying degrees of power. Chain Lightning, Sulfuric Vortex, Flame Rift, and Fireblast are all less busted (and format warping) than Price of Progress, and even those risk being too good. Two mana for 4-8 damage most of the time is obscene, and there is zero doubt all competitive Burn lists would jam a playset in the main.

I would be fine with some more moderate ways of hampering greedy decks, but PoP will never be a realistic card for the format.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

for other cards I hope a reprint. Chainer, Dementia Master and Volrath the Fallen. they probably won't go into any competitive decks, but would be nostalgic to use them every once in awhile.

for something possibly competitive. Maybe a psychatog + nightscape familiar reprint? I was sort of hoping they would be reprinted in MH1, too bad it didn't happen.

dust bowl reprint as additional weapon against tron decks?

Thenarus

Dust Bowl is a turn four play against Tron for decks that would reasonably play it, so it's not great there. Heck, it would probably be better in Tron than anywhere else, since many of its lands are redundant later in the game, and they can fetch it reliably.

Rishadan Port, or a close variation (something that only targets nonbasics, maybe) would do a much better job at slowing Tron. So would Wasteland, but that card would be way too much for Modern.

Hoping that we see more reprints in MH2, including Psychatog and Terravore.

Greatest Gargadon

Post by Greatest Gargadon » 4 years ago

Just give me Carnophage, shepherd of rot, and gempalm polluter, I'll find my way,

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

still hoping for a reprint of engineered plague. We already have plague engineer from MH!, but an enchantment is harder to remove than a creature.

Wolffman

Post by Wolffman » 4 years ago

I agree with almost every card on this list, but there are 2 that I'd prefer not to see:
Wild Growth - This is adding copies 5-8 of what is arguably the best 1 mana ramp spell available. Usually leads to turn 2 blood moons which makes a lot of non-games, let's leave this one out.
Crystalline Sliver - I don't think this card makes slivers into a monster, but I just don't like cards that shut-off interaction completely. Cards like this that have no counter play take the fun out of the game real quick for me.

Thenarus

Great list. Containment Priest in particular would be healthy for the format.
Of these, Lobotomy feels like a worse version of many of the Extraction effects, and Propaganda probably breaks some current color pie rules, but they would still be interesting to see in Modern. Terravore, Psychatog, and Vindicate would be great on this list as well.

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Riptide Laboratory , says the Fae player.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Thenarus

Riptide Lab would be a bit too good in a world with Snapcaster Mage, methinks. Not insane broken, granted, but man would that be some gross value. Cast, flash, block, bounce, repeat.

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

Wolffman wrote:
4 years ago
I agree with almost every card on this list, but there are 2 that I'd prefer not to see:
Wild Growth - This is adding copies 5-8 of what is arguably the best 1 mana ramp spell available. Usually leads to turn 2 blood moons which makes a lot of non-games, let's leave this one out.
Crystalline Sliver - I don't think this card makes slivers into a monster, but I just don't like cards that shut-off interaction completely. Cards like this that have no counter play take the fun out of the game real quick for me.
You might be right about Wild Growth, I forget about Blood Moon partly because I despise it so much and try not to dwell on it. Probably doesn't help that BR can't deal with enchantments which makes this ramp hard to deal with, but then again, BR are noticeably among the colors that get land destruction, so it might not be that bad. I don't really want Trinisphere Blood Moon land destruction decks to get this though, so yeah, it should probably be avoided in the current format, especially just after we got Pillage.

I actually like things like hexproof and shroud, to some degree, and I don't think it's going to make Slivers into a monster either, it's more that modern slivers doesn't have that kind of effect yet and it wouldn't be broken. I'd be just fine with some variant on it as well, like making it a UG mana cost with hexproof as a 1/1 (making it more vulnerable to some sweepers before the slivers pump up stats as much). It isn't like a tribal deck like slivers is one you'll want to be focusing on lots of single-target removal on anyway (you want sweepers), and the format finally has Diabolic Edict (and Liliana's often better variation) to act as an additional safety valve against untargetable things (although Innocent Blood is on my list for a reason as well). It isn't like spirits doesn't already have Drogskol Captain, proving that adding this sort of thing to a strong tribe doesn't push them over into ban territory. I can understand you not liking/wanting it personally though.
Thenarus wrote:
4 years ago
Great list. Containment Priest in particular would be healthy for the format.
Of these, Lobotomy feels like a worse version of many of the Extraction effects, and Propaganda probably breaks some current color pie rules, but they would still be interesting to see in Modern. Terravore, Psychatog, and Vindicate would be great on this list as well.
I put up Lobotomy more because I was surprised when I couldn't find a similar effect in that it checks the hand and lets you pick from there when I made an older list, and never saw reason to take it off the list. It probably wouldn't even see play, it's likely more viable to play a mix of targeted discard and surgical for getting a similar result.

I did take Terravore off the list deliberately, because it's honestly just a high stat beater with trample at 3 cmc under good conditions, and such a thing has proven unreliable, even Tarmogoyf has been falling in play, and it's not for the lack of trample. Terravore might have done something in an earlier era of Modern, but I think it's just not good enough to matter at this point, the bar for a 3 cmc creature has gone up in terms of how easy it is to either get out and quickly do something (ETB effect, haste, flash, etc.), or be resistant to removal (hexproof, self-revival from graveyard, etc.). Additionally, the use of fetchlands has actually gone down in some decks, and graveyard hate has gone up significantly, making me doubt the value of it. Something like it might still be good, but it would need some extras, and thus belong in a card design thread, rather than a reprint thread).

Psychatog was dropped for similar reasons, on one level it's just a tough beater, not even trample going for it like Terravore, when it is set up, on another level, it's a discard and self-exile from your graveyard outlet, but I think the CMC is too high there for it to matter in the current Modern. Something similar would need a re-design to work with the current Modern metagame, and thus not belong in this thread.

Vindicate almost made it on the list, especially given they though Pillage was printable, and how much of a downturn midrange has seen. I don't really feel like it's quite balanced in Modern terms, it's really close to what I would think a perfectly fair card would be, but I think it needs some small extra burden to limit the decks that play it before I'd feel it was fine, even if that is just going 3 color rather than 2 or something, but again, that would be a different kind of thread.

I don't agree with the idea of Propaganda being out of the color pie for blue, it feels pretty blue to me, and while I know some at Wizards feel differently, or perhaps they just wanted to take some things away from blue which they thought had too much in it's wheelhouse, they bend the pie in far more serious ways regularly enough for me to think it deserves reprinting into Modern anyway.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Exalted Angel - she could fit in as another large creature to some modern decks that use white.

Energy Vortex - another way for mono blue to win.

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Energy Vortex - another way for mono blue to win.
Yikes, U-Tron.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

forgot, Tron could sink a ton of mana into the vortex. :p

Another reprint I'm hoping for is Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist. The power level seems to be just right for modern, and I would totally put her into my cat deck.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Squirrel Mob, so that I can make a modern squirrel deck with it in a deck that has the now modern legal squirrel nest. :)

Also domain cards like Collective Restraint and Global Ruin could be interesting in modern.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”