The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
OF ONE MIND

Seems pretty nuts.
hmm, a thoughtcast for non-artifact decks. Interesting. I'm curious what decks would use this.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Am I wrong or is Song of Creation absolutely busted?

I want to play some kind of spells deck, that is not as deterministic as Storm, and I just cannot see how this is not the card to do it with.
UR Control UR

idSurge

Those Tricycle lands annoy me to no end, because...Mana Bases dont even matter in Modern.
UR Control UR

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Feels like It's only a matter of time before someone makes a competitive deck using song of creation as an engine to the win con.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

idSurge

Have to imagine some kind of RUG Scapeshift would be workable, even if not as good as something with a Titan in it (or why not both?).
UR Control UR

Tomatotime
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tomatotime » 4 years ago

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
Am I wrong or is Song of Creation absolutely busted?
I don't think its busted, just risk/reward, you have the discard your hand the turn you play it (assuming you had no follow up plays after playing it), then your opponent has a chance to just blow you out. I think its probably fair given these hurdles, to say nothing of the mana cast.
idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
Those Tricycle lands annoy me to no end, because...Mana Bases dont even matter in Modern.
Real talk, even if astrolabe didn't exist, I don't think these tri lands would see play, what exactly do they offer? If you have a fetchland, you already have access to 3 colors anyways, with lands that aren't guaranteed to come into play tapped. I think if the land is guaranteed to come into play tapped it simply must have some big upside to justify it, like collonade or tar pit, these just fix mana, a bit.

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 4 years ago

I wonder if Yorion is worthwhile in UWx control. Reset all my planeswalkers, maybe blink a snapcaster mage, and a 4/5 flyer I just grabbed from under the table? I find its Companion requirement hard to evaluate, especially in these kinds of decks that would have a lot of card selection.

Similarly I'm curious about the new Narset. She ults really darn quick.

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

I wonder if Inspired Ultimatum is viable in RWU control/tempo? Being sorcery really hurts it, but 5 damage, 5 cards, and 5 life for 7 mana seems pretty nice, a really big swing for a control or tempo deck, that re-fuels, and can potentially win on the spot with that last bit of burn, or stabalize really well with the 5 life. It's more cmc efficient than getting the same number of cards and life out of Sphinx's Revelation and can potentially destroy a threat or burn something or cut down a planeswalker's loyalty at the same time, letting a control deck use it to stabilize in a large way.

It isn't particularly useful for the areas control needs right now, which is just surviving long enough to get a chance to try something that high of cmc, but I think it could do interesting things in the future after bans and new printings and metagame shifts might bring control up from it's current state.

idSurge

Bearscape wrote:
4 years ago
I wonder if Yorion is worthwhile in UWx control. Reset all my planeswalkers, maybe blink a snapcaster mage, and a 4/5 flyer I just grabbed from under the table? I find its Companion requirement hard to evaluate, especially in these kinds of decks that would have a lot of card selection.

Similarly I'm curious about the new Narset. She ults really darn quick.
I dont think Narset is where you want to be. Yorion, in a Control or Sun Titan build? Could be back breaking, but it feels...win more?
UR Control UR

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I'm interested in the fetchable tri land cycle in modern. They can be fetched and provide 3 colours in a wedge deck but the downside is they always enter tapped. They cycle when you don't need them.

inspired ultimatum is also super interesting in Jeskai shells

idSurge

I just cant see how they matter. Mana in Modern is perfect if you desire, or irrelevant due to Astrolabe anyway. Pisses me off, because if they came in untapped, that would be amazing obviously, but I'd rather play a Horizon, or simply ignore Mana concerns anyway.
UR Control UR

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

yeah if they enter untapped then they'd be absurd. Turn one plays are so important in modern that taking the extra 2 from fetching a shock is probably worth it.

idSurge

Yeah. I'm going to play one, simply because I can and it hardly matters.
UR Control UR

izzetmage

Post by izzetmage » 4 years ago

I have a soft spot for Aristocrats, so I'm liking Garrison Cat and Serrated Scorpion. Lurrus is also a great fit for the deck.

Light of Hope has a use in some Bolas's Citadel decks - it either gains a net 3 life to keep you going, or blows up Eidolon of the Great Revel.

The main use I see for the tri lands is basic land types. If you're playing a base Naya deck with Tribal Flames for example, you can put in 1 copy of the Sultai land for max domain. Not that Tribal Flames becomes good with it - the deck's problem is that it's vulnerable to LD, not just cutting you off from domain, but also running out of basics from repeated Fields of Ruin.

Or in a controlling, base UG Scapeshift deck, the Temur land counts as a Mountain for Valakut and can be fetched with Farseek. You need 10 Mountains, 8 of those are shocks since they can ETB untapped if you want them to, 1 of them is a basic for Sakura-Tribe Elder/Search for Tomorrow, so the last one can be the tri land.

Narset seems...OK? Her mana ability isn't as good as Teferi's (Hero of Dominaria, not Time Raveler) untap because you have to use the mana on your turn. Her -2 is either a simple "draw a card" or something that pings small guys, like Wrenn and Six or Liliana, the Last Hope, and if you discard Magmatic Sinkhole it can take down even a Titan. I'm not so sure she can edge out the best 4 mana blue planeswalker in decks that want to play 4 mana blue planeswalkers though.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Only now realized they can be fetched. I need the Jeskai and Abzan tricycle lands. Just need to get one of each.

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

Is Whirlwind of Thought good for anything?

It's effect seems really nice, but it feels like the kind of decks that would want to play it, such as storm, want to win before they easily can.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

could be a backup source of card draw in Song of Creation decks, or simply a card advantage engine in jeskai lists?

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 3 years ago

If you're still looking for some more written Modern/IKO content, I just published my set review to Modern Metrics with writeup on Reddit. I really wanted to get this out a little earlier but real life got in the way so I'm sneaking this in just before we get the big MTGO event releases this weekend. In true izzetmage fashion, I intend to revisit the rankings later and see where I called it right or missed the mark.

Article: https://mtgmodernmetrics.wordpress.com/ ... he-top-25/

Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”